Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Its almost as if something happened that made a bogus push to gently caress up planned parenthood look ghoulish and awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

And so began the fall from grace of noted Policy Wonk and Boy Wonder, Paul Ryan.

:allears:

Good, serves the fucker right to be eaten by the id.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

He's still a piece of poo poo but Paul Ryan with a beard not giving a gently caress about pundits or the base kind of owns.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mr. mephistopheles posted:

He's still a piece of poo poo but Paul Ryan with a beard not giving a gently caress about pundits or the base kind of owns.

Paul D. Ryan

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

You know, Trump is sort of the figure to hate in American politics and yet I find that I despise Ted Cruz more than anyone who has ever lived, fictional characters included. He just looks like he has a thin sheen of mucus at all points in time, the motherfucker is so uncharismatic he makes Nixon look like Jimmy Stewart. He is a gutless, amoral weasel whose only saving grace is that he has the tenacity of a cockroach and the only thing that he's done that I can appreciate is getting the gently caress out of my country. I am convinced that the sole purpose of his spirituality was to give him a natural immunity of holy water and crosses like Wesley with iocane powder in the Princess Bride. I can only surmise that an occult spell will reveal him as a creature similar to Count Orlok.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So apparently Crowder made an animated video about Star Wars and SJWs

"Han solo triggers SJW"

https://t.co/TMADYqyebx

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^ ^ ^ - So glad that slimy piece of poo poo Shkrelli (or whatever the gently caress, who cares) was arrested for fraud today.

Spite posted:

Approaching Hunter S Thompson on Nixon levels, very nice.

And regarding that NRA video and who they think should own guns, it reminds me of the dude at the Cliven Bundy Ranch who was like "Ok now we'll go to Ferguson and stand with the protesters there against the militarized cops, right? Guys?"

Ahahaha, :lol: holy poo poo, are you serious? PM me a link to that.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Thump! posted:

And so began the fall from grace of noted Policy Wonk and Boy Wonder, Paul Ryan.

That sure was quick.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Mister Macys posted:

^ ^ ^ - So glad that slimy piece of poo poo Shkrelli (or whatever the gently caress, who cares) was arrested for fraud today.

Ahahaha, :lol: holy poo poo, are you serious? PM me a link to that.

It was Oathkeepers. On top of that, they split over some of them wanting to arm the protesters as a display of 2nd Amendment rights.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
He wasn't quoted by the news? Bummer.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ManlyGrunting posted:

You know, Trump is sort of the figure to hate in American politics and yet I find that I despise Ted Cruz more than anyone who has ever lived, fictional characters included. He just looks like he has a thin sheen of mucus at all points in time, the motherfucker is so uncharismatic he makes Nixon look like Jimmy Stewart. He is a gutless, amoral weasel whose only saving grace is that he has the tenacity of a cockroach and the only thing that he's done that I can appreciate is getting the gently caress out of my country. I am convinced that the sole purpose of his spirituality was to give him a natural immunity of holy water and crosses like Wesley with iocane powder in the Princess Bride. I can only surmise that an occult spell will reveal him as a creature similar to Count Orlok.

This is beautiful.

Also I just finished Hunter S Thompson's eulogy for Nixon and god drat did he hate that man with an absolute passion. I've loathed a few people before but I cannot even come close to the screaming hatred with which he regarded Nixon.

And yet, in 2004 he said he'd vote for Nixon over Bush/Cheney, which is really telling

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So the CIA found that the GOP faked documents regarding Bengazhi to frame Hilary Clinton. I doubt this will get any coverage in the media, and somehow Rush and his ilk will spin it around saying that the CIA is just a tool of Obama and the Clintons, so of course they'd say that.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

So the CIA found that the GOP faked documents regarding Bengazhi to frame Hilary Clinton. I doubt this will get any coverage in the media, and somehow Rush and his ilk will spin it around saying that the CIA is just a tool of Obama and the Clintons, so of course they'd say that.

What does Team B say?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

twistedmentat posted:

This came out in October so that should tell you everything about the impact it had.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Republicans posted:

This came out in October so that should tell you everything about the impact it had.

And people still believe the meme about "liberal media".

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

To be fair it was a very banal and un-sexy bit of fraud on Gowdy's part, nobody was taking the Benghazi hearings seriously and they made Clinton look so good that harping about it after the fact just seemed mean.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Magres posted:

Also I just finished Hunter S Thompson's eulogy for Nixon and god drat did he hate that man with an absolute passion. I've loathed a few people before but I cannot even come close to the screaming hatred with which he regarded Nixon.

I think it's a generational thing partially. My mom is the same way (although she notes that he still sponsored/funded more government programs than any of his GOP successors.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Nixon was a monster, but he was from before the days when it became an article of faith in the republican party that the government must be abolished.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

wow, gently caress him, he is loving monster. they should have made this fetid oval office walk through the loving crime scene of sandy hook while the bodies were still there.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

beatlegs posted:

Well, compare Reagan to the current folks. Reagan came across as much more of a human being.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Nixon was a monster, but he was from before the days when it became an article of faith in the republican party that the government must be abolished.

Things that happened under the Nixon administration
-created the EPA
-created OSHA
-created "The War on Cancer"
-opened up relations with China
-ended the draft
-lowered the voting age to 18
-Title IX (Which is awesome)

Things Nixon proposed
-Guaranteed HealthCare
-Guaranteed Minninum Wage

All of this done to out-liberal popular liberals at the time.

The "true believers" have taken over the party. No longer do people just say racist poo poo to get elected or talk about getting rid of various programs. They're ACTUALLY DOING IT.

Of all people Barry Goldwater predicted this with frightening accuracy.

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible drat problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Amtrak was created during the Nixon administration!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Nixon proposed the GMI as a replacement for all welfare/social spending programs. Really screws people over if their needs exceed the GMI and they can't work, and it's a lot easier to rail against and neglect increases for the GMI than it is for a whole web of social programs. It's like debt consolidation for assholes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Another school closure due to Islamic related issues.

http://time.com/4154591/islam-arabic-school-virginia/

quote:

Some parents thought their pupils were being indoctrinated

A school district in Virginia is closed Friday over an assignment that some parents and community members felt was a form of Islamic indoctrination.

On Dec. 11 during a Geography lesson on world religions, teacher Cheryl LaPorte at Riverheads High School had her students write out an Islamic statement of faith to practice calligraphy, the Staunton News Leader reports. The statement translates to, “There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.”

The students were not asked to translate or speak the sentence, but local parents were outraged at the assignment, seeing it as a form of Islamic proselytization in a public school.

In a post on the Augusta County Public Schools website, the school board announced the district would be closed Friday “following parental objections to the World Geography curriculum and ensuing related media coverage… voluminous phone calls and electronic mail locally and from outside the area.”

The statement says there “has been no specific threat of harm to students,” but that the closure was ordered “based on concerns regarding the tone and content of those communications.”

Guess what gravy swilling man-boy weighed in
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/12/15/students-practice-calligraphy-by-writing-there-is-no-god-but-allah.html

I love how so many on the right wing honestly believe that children are somehow so fragile and susceptible to "indoctrination" that merely being exposed to the ideas and practices of another religion is enough to turn them into junior-jihadis.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Can someone tell me why Rush calls the San Bernardino shooter "Farooq Syed Climate Change"?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I guess its a bit of over reaction but having kids write a statement of faith is a bad idea.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

right, its a magic binding chant that bends your will to allah. its an example of religious art like the last supper, not a wizard spell

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

No, that's not the point.

The point is it would be just as wrong to do something like, I dunno, recite the Nicene Creed or something in a Latin/Romance language class. It's a breach of church/state stuff.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Can someone tell me why Rush calls the San Bernardino shooter "Farooq Syed Climate Change"?

Because Obama said a thing where he thinks Climate Change is under reported in comparison to terrorism, and terrorism makes the news too much.

Plus someone else sometime said something about climate change being a greater threat, overall, than terrorism. And I'm sure there's an argument somewhere about climate change being a partial cause of terrorism.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 18, 2015

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Bernie Sanders attributed part of the reason for the Syrian Civil War and the rise of islamic extremism in the region due to a drought caused by climate change:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/03/science/earth/study-links-syria-conflict-to-drought-caused-by-climate-change.html

Politifact had this little pants on head retarded take on it.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/nov/16/bernie-s/fact-checking-bernie-sanders-comments-climate-chan/
tl,dr: Because Bernie said 'direct' instead of 'indirect', we're gonna go full :spergin: and say 'mostly false' even though he's right.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

The point is it would be just as wrong to do something like, I dunno, recite the Nicene Creed or something in a Latin/Romance language class. It's a breach of church/state stuff.

Let's replace it with the Nicene Creed and see how these parent's react.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

mr. mephistopheles posted:

The beard is to make him look older than 15. To stop the house from bullying him for his milk money.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Doctor Butts posted:

The point is it would be just as wrong to do something like, I dunno, recite the Nicene Creed or something in a Latin/Romance language class.

i have the strangest feeling this would not be regarded nearly as wrong. just... somehow.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Agreed, but I'm saying that if it was just anything other than a statement of faith in that language, these people would be 100% wrong to raise a stink about it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rick_Hunter posted:

Bernie Sanders attributed part of the reason for the Syrian Civil War and the rise of islamic extremism in the region due to a drought caused by climate change:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/03/science/earth/study-links-syria-conflict-to-drought-caused-by-climate-change.html

Politifact had this little pants on head retarded take on it.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/nov/16/bernie-s/fact-checking-bernie-sanders-comments-climate-chan/
tl,dr: Because Bernie said 'direct' instead of 'indirect', we're gonna go full :spergin: and say 'mostly false' even though he's right.

The way they scale their system has always been super weird to me.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

The way they scale their system has always been super weird to me.

To me it feels like they decide on an outcome they want and rejigger their argument as much as necessary to support it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/17/upshot/how-a-quiet-corner-of-iowa-packs-such-a-fierce-conservative-punch.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

Interesting article about how NW IA is super conservative and affects the caucuses there. I came from that area, I agree with everything in that article about how ultra conservative it is. I am so glad I moved away.

The best part is how people from uppper NY moved to NW IA because they felt NY was too liberal.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

The beard is to make him look older than 15. To stop the house from bullying him for his milk money.

Someone should tell Paul that the only reason that's "working" for Gunther is that the Luann writers are bad.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Doctor Butts posted:

Agreed, but I'm saying that if it was just anything other than a statement of faith in that language, these people would be 100% wrong to raise a stink about it.

i dont find the statement itself a controversial choice since it seems like it would be the acme example of calligraphy. like if you were going to exhibit mideval european architecture to geography students you are almost 100% going to show them like a hulking catholic catheral with christ in stained glass because that is just what you show as an example of mideval european architecture.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

The thing that irks me the most is that it's really hard to incorporate any kind of cultural teachings into a lesson plan unless it's explicitly Judeo-Christian or neutered to not include any kind of faith based information. I went to a Jesuit high school in Indianapolis where they made a great effort to make us aware of different religions and cultures. Our first year included 4 quarterly cultural units for social studies and a world religion class that devoted equal lesson plans to several faiths. I took a class on liberation theology my junior year. Granted it was a private school but I'm pretty sure I didn't just flip a switch and change from Lutheran to Roman Catholic because I learned about Jesuits.

I just can't figure out at what point in education, from K to 12, where someone can actually teach a course and say, "This is X culture, they value religion a lot based on their history, here are some historical lessons" without some soccer mom or blue-collar dad screeching ":byodood: THAT'S RELIGIOUS INDOCTRINATION :byodame:" but they're ok with optional prayer led by school officials in group settings like athletics.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So apparently Crowder made an animated video about Star Wars and SJWs

"Han solo triggers SJW"

https://t.co/TMADYqyebx

Totally missed that he "debunked" Bernie's plan a few months ago. What a champ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-8spGrLrUM