Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Regalingualius posted:

I played the 3DS one last year, and while it was good, I didn't really find it to be the holy grail of gaming that everyone else seems to hold it up as.

The 3DS remakes of OoT and (especially) Majora's Mask do a great job of showing just how flawed the original games were. Not just in what they couldn't cover up, but in what they did.

Majora's Mask 3D entirely redesigned the temple bosses, because the originals were that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

flatluigi posted:

I do hope that at least a few gamefaqs posters ended up playing and liking undertale after the whole thing happened but I bet they'll all just rue the day a lovely dog defiled the sanctity of their forums polls instead

It's only two hours into the day but the admins decided to recognize the tears of their membership and include a purely salty option (which has a quarter of the vote, of course) - just think, 1500 manchildren who are so pissed that Undertale beat their nostalgia, they will NEVER touch it.

Entertainingly, there is no option that says "I don't actually care about GameFAQs polls when it comes to choosing what I play."

TheRecogScene has a new favorite as of 08:18 on Dec 17, 2015

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Entertainingly, there is no option that says "I don't actually care about GameFAQs polls when it comes to choosing what I play."

All the people that would have chosen that option already left after the final BGE poll.

CoreDuo has a new favorite as of 08:43 on Dec 17, 2015

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

It's only two hours into the day but the admins decided to recognize the tears of their membership and include a purely salty option (which has a quarter of the vote, of course) - just think, 1500 manchildren who are so pissed that Undertale beat their nostalgia, they will NEVER touch it.

I like how the second-to-bottom option is the I'm Not Racist But... option.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
It's amazing that the best game ever poll is still the same games as the very first year it ran. I followed the first one because I liked the idea of it (and I was younger then and hadn't realized that the GameFAQs community was filled with morons yet), and it was fun. Subsequent years weren't as fun anymore because it was mostly the same stuff. Some early rounds were new games/characters but the final would be Final Fantasy 7 vs Ocarina of Time, with the same 3rd trough 16th seeds. Every year. And that's still where it's at. Except a single new game finally makes a dent and gets far, and instead of finding that an interesting development the community is salty that they didn't get their beloved, predictable yearly FF7 vs OoT final. I guess it kind of makes sense though, because the people that don't enjoy seeing the same games year after year stopped caring a long time ago.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The best part were the people crying incessantly about cheating. During the Undertale vs. Melee match, the admins did research and found there was, in fact, cheating.

For Melee.

Also, there was one guy running a bot to get the first vote each match. It didn't even work.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Griefor posted:

It's amazing that the best game ever poll is still the same games as the very first year it ran. I followed the first one because I liked the idea of it (and I was younger then and hadn't realized that the GameFAQs community was filled with morons yet), and it was fun. Subsequent years weren't as fun anymore because it was mostly the same stuff. Some early rounds were new games/characters but the final would be Final Fantasy 7 vs Ocarina of Time, with the same 3rd trough 16th seeds. Every year. And that's still where it's at. Except a single new game finally makes a dent and gets far, and instead of finding that an interesting development the community is salty that they didn't get their beloved, predictable yearly FF7 vs OoT final. I guess it kind of makes sense though, because the people that don't enjoy seeing the same games year after year stopped caring a long time ago.

Autistic people DON'T like change???

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

dpbjinc posted:

The best part were the people crying incessantly about cheating. During the Undertale vs. Melee match, the admins did research and found there was, in fact, cheating.

For Melee.

Also, there was one guy running a bot to get the first vote each match. It didn't even work.

No, the best part were the people incessantly crying about rallies from outside sites ~ruining the integrity of the poll~, because when you go to the contest landing page there's these words:

quote:

This is not a contest to see which game is your favorite, or even which one is the best rated. It's all a big popularity contest, and visitors who have never visited GameFAQs before will be sure to stop in and vote.

It's not only explicitly allowed, but encouraged. :allears:

CoreDuo has a new favorite as of 10:50 on Dec 17, 2015

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

ArtIsResistance posted:

Autistic people DON'T like change???

I didn't want to make the obvious autism claim but I see the link with autism, yeah.

CoreDuo posted:

It's not only explicitly allowed, but encouraged. :allears:

Well yeah extra traffic is good for GameFAQs, of course.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

dpbjinc posted:

For Melee.

That was shady, but it wasn't really cheating. From what I remember he wasn't getting multiple votes in, he just wanted to be the first one to vote because that's what makes you cool on the internet.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Griefor posted:

I didn't want to make the obvious autism claim but I see the link with autism, yeah.

Ah yes you were too nice to make the autism joke, good to know.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The best troll about this Undertale thing is seeing four threads here, and the same usernames off-site, constantly posting about how obsessed GameFAQs are when it comes to defending their pet Zelda game. :v:

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I think a good example of how the Paper Mario treadmill thing could've not sucked is in Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts (a game that sucked in a much broader sense). In this bit from the beginning of the game, you're shunted into a parody of N64-era collectathon platformers. The difference here is that you're back to the opening exposition dump after about 10 seconds of the dumb minigame, so it makes it feel like the player is in on the joke rather than the butt of it

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Schnedwob posted:

I think a good example of how the Paper Mario treadmill thing could've not sucked is in Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts (a game that sucked in a much broader sense). In this bit from the beginning of the game, you're shunted into a parody of N64-era collectathon platformers. The difference here is that you're back to the opening exposition dump after about 10 seconds of the dumb minigame, so it makes it feel like the player is in on the joke rather than the butt of it

It's also your only chance to play with the extremely obese Banjo & Kazooie, isn't it?

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

mycot posted:

I've no problem calling people autistic, but in this case it speaks for itself, doesn't it?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

mycot posted:

Dude, gamefaqs

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I wish Bobbin Cranbud and the RPG Playoffs (and the Inquisitor) still updated. They had little narratives for the face-offs, and I'd like to see Chara show Sephiroth mercy with a little more gusto than a simple poll.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Croccers posted:

I like how the second-to-bottom option is the I'm Not Racist But... option.

nethack isn't the kind of game i have an interest in

i'm a nintendo racist

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I freaking love the gamefaqs forums but those bitches IP ban and I stopped having withdrawal symptoms after around 18 months of no gamefaqs. To backslide now would be disastrous.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I left nearly instantly upon discovering this place and I never looked back because I can say gently caress here.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm kind of baffled why gamefaqs still exists. Do people even write FAQs anymore? Every time I google a game to find out what to do when I get stuck or how to beat a boss it's always like IGN now or something that pops up. I don't think gamefaqs has been relevant since the early days of the PS3 and 360.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I left nearly instantly upon discovering this place and I never looked back because I can say gently caress here.

*record scratch noise*

Seriously? You can't swear on those boards?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I'm kind of baffled why gamefaqs still exists. Do people even write FAQs anymore? Every time I google a game to find out what to do when I get stuck or how to beat a boss it's always like IGN now or something that pops up. I don't think gamefaqs has been relevant since the early days of the PS3 and 360.

Yeah, when I want to know how to pass one particular troublesome spot in a game from pretty much the beginning of console history, gently caress FAQs: what I want is a 13-minute video in whose thumbnail is a gape-mouthed, headphoned, goateed millennial screaming MILON'S SECRET CASTLE PT. 14??? I BARFED poo poo AND BLOOD?!?!?! in a font stolen from Comicraft.

Having a text-only repository for explanations of pretty much every game ever is a net good. GameFAQs as a resource is great, and I'm glad dum-dums get fired up on a regular basis so that the GameFAQs ad machine gets fed and I can be assured access to stuff I might want to know.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pastry of the Year posted:

Yeah, when I want to know how to pass one particular troublesome spot in a game from pretty much the beginning of console history, gently caress FAQs: what I want is a 13-minute video in whose thumbnail is a gape-mouthed, headphoned, goateed millennial screaming MILON'S SECRET CASTLE PT. 14??? I BARFED poo poo AND BLOOD?!?!?! in a font stolen from Comicraft.

Wikis are a thing and are excellent for game walkthroughs but I guess they don't let you get really mad at people younger than you so it's a qaah.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pastry of the Year posted:

Having a text-only repository for explanations of pretty much every game ever is a net good. GameFAQs as a resource is great, and I'm glad dum-dums get fired up on a regular basis so that the GameFAQs ad machine gets fed and I can be assured access to stuff I might want to know.

Who said anything about that? IGN has pretty much supplanted gamefaqs these days. They have a wiki system set up and it's organized a whole lot better than traditional walkthroughs.

e: IGN also has pictures too, those help a lot

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Memento posted:

*record scratch noise*

Seriously? You can't swear on those boards?

You can, now. You used to get banned for swearing and saying blasphemous things like final fantasy seven wasn't the best game ever. But in like 2014 they let the people on gamefaqs start swearing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sleeveless posted:

Wikis are a thing and are excellent for game walkthroughs but I guess they don't let you get really mad at people younger than you so it's a qaah.

The fewer links I have to navigate through to get info, the better. Not to mention, GameFAQs is still a great resource for lots of old games that are too obscure for a decent wiki.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

It massively sucks when a game series has a wiki but it's a bad one though, since every google search is going to be redirected toward their useless barebones articles. Or if a game has a good wiki...in Japanese.

Griefor posted:

I've no problem calling people autistic, but in this case it speaks for itself, doesn't it?

That post was hilariously tortured, is what I'm saying.

mycot has a new favorite as of 01:44 on Dec 18, 2015

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
The entire existence of gamefaqs is validated in perpetuity, now and forever, by this one guide.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There's an interesting guide to the first 4 resident evil games if you have nothing going on for 2.5 hours

And I always do.

Always have nothing going on.

Or rather, I never have anything going on for 2.5 hours. Yeah that works.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
An old favorite of mine is the guy who wrote almost 50,000 words analyzing the plot to Killer7, and then when Suda51 released a book about Killer7 that disproved pretty much everything he speculated he got really huffy and stopped updating with a parting shot about how he's a poet and every interpretation is valid because ~aesthetics~.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I remember back in the day before youtube superstardom of LPs, I was reading through breakdowns of the Silent Hill games because I'm a giant pussy when it comes to actually playing horror games, and there was a guy who wrote down every minute detail of SH2, but somehow he was under the mistaken impression that the word "meme" meant "noun" so he constantly used it for every person place and thing in the game.

It's funny thinking about how even only a decade ago was such a less regulated time on the internet information-wise.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

It's still often your best source of info for older "Games nobody gave a poo poo about but you like". most of the time that won't have a wiki or if they do, it's a poo poo wiki.

The best map I've found for a certain sidescrolling shooter on the NES, for example.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Going back to straight-up game dev trolling, The Secret World just released its Christmas event alongside its newest update. As usual with them, it included a grab bag of random cosmetic rewards. This time it included things like faction-appropriate ugly woolen sweaters, a hover-snowboard, a husky pet, and an outfit marked only as 'MacReady's Gear'.

Mentioned nowhere was that, like the Halloween event just past having its main cosmetics based on ravens (and the pumpkin dance), the Christmas bag's main aesthetic was The Thing--MacReady being Kurt Russell's character. And as cool as that is, that does mean the innocently-named and adorable Siberian Husky pet explodes into a horrible mass of meat and tentacles.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Going back to straight-up game dev trolling, The Secret World just released its Christmas event alongside its newest update. As usual with them, it included a grab bag of random cosmetic rewards. This time it included things like faction-appropriate ugly woolen sweaters, a hover-snowboard, a husky pet, and an outfit marked only as 'MacReady's Gear'.

Mentioned nowhere was that, like the Halloween event just past having its main cosmetics based on ravens (and the pumpkin dance), the Christmas bag's main aesthetic was The Thing--MacReady being Kurt Russell's character. And as cool as that is, that does mean the innocently-named and adorable Siberian Husky pet explodes into a horrible mass of meat and tentacles.

That's amazing.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Nuebot posted:

You can, now. You used to get banned for swearing and saying blasphemous things like final fantasy seven wasn't the best game ever. But in like 2014 they let the people on gamefaqs start swearing.

I got probated on the WoW boards for mentioning a quest called "Shizzle's Flier" or something, because some mod decided shizzle meant poo poo. Then I got banned for calling them idiot babies while contesting it. They also had some weirdly specific rules about how you were supposed to censor yourself, like f*** was okay, but f**k wasn't.

It might be off topic, but GameFAQS swear policy was a amazingly dumb.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Not Operator posted:

I got probated on the WoW boards for mentioning a quest called "Shizzle's Flier" or something, because some mod decided shizzle meant poo poo. Then I got banned for calling them idiot babies while contesting it. They also had some weirdly specific rules about how you were supposed to censor yourself, like f*** was okay, but f**k wasn't.

when I was like 13 I got banned for saying I had a shih tzu because a mod decided I was trying to get around the swear filter with creative spelling

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Not Operator posted:

I've had to walk the mods through moderating me for being creative in calling other people stupid. Because they weren't entirely sure what I had done to get reported but they knew I had done something wrong because I had been reported. My account is ages old though so they would never actually ban it which made the whole act of moderation weird. Because once your account hits a certain age on that site you can basically just do whatever and no one cares.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Nuebot posted:

It's still around. You may have to go directly to Gamefaqs and search from there, if IGN gets higher priority on Google for some reason? Sometimes I prefer to just open up a big ol' text file and ctrl+f for what I need, rather than trawling wikis or *shudder* searching around in a stupid video waiting for the dude to mention what I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

I haven't launched TSW in a long rear end time but I think you just sold me.

• Locked thread