Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

alkanphel posted:

I like the corrected one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

This one got explored on flickr, I do seem to put my shots in more groups than everyone else here.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Back at sea and Flickr is blocked on our server so I can't see any of your photos for the next few months :smith:

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Cheers guys, appreciate the extra eyes.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

what the gently caress posted:

Back at sea and Flickr is blocked on our server so I can't see any of your photos for the next few months :smith:

Looking forward to cool iceberg shots / depressing boatscapes

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Galleria Borghese by alkanphel, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

drat.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

God I love 120 now. It's way easier to get off the roll and onto the reel compared to 35mm, and the negatives are so beautifully big I don't really even need my loupe. Also, Foma 400 turns the developer a beautiful shade of brilliant green.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

unpacked robinhood posted:

Looking forward to cool iceberg shots / depressing boatscapes

I have turned my cabin into a wetplate darkroom :getin:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I have turned my cabin into a wetplate darkroom :getin:

Please don't accidentally kill/maim yourself.

GW690/Acros/Rodinal

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Hey guys, tragedy has struck someone ganked my beloved P67 or I lost it somewhere, not quite sure, either way it's gone. I am now in the market for another MF camera and I'm not sure what to get and I had a few questions for you gents. I would get another P67 but the prices have gone up on them a bit and I want to try something new and different. I'm currently looking at a Mamiya RZ67 and Bronica GS-1 both are 6x7 and largeish, I really love the results the Mamiya lens produces but the Bronica is smaller and comes with accessories that make it easier to handle.

Now my question is, buying a camera of this size is it true what I read online that I might as well forget about handholding? I will probably use tripods majority of the time but I would also like to walk around and handhold these cameras, is the internet right, would that just be silly and I'd be much better off buying a rangefinder type MF camera? If so any recommendations on which one? I really like the GW690 and GM670 models mostly because they're withing my price range.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

HNasty posted:

Hey guys, tragedy has struck someone ganked my beloved P67 or I lost it somewhere, not quite sure, either way it's gone. I am now in the market for another MF camera and I'm not sure what to get and I had a few questions for you gents. I would get another P67 but the prices have gone up on them a bit and I want to try something new and different. I'm currently looking at a Mamiya RZ67 and Bronica GS-1 both are 6x7 and largeish, I really love the results the Mamiya lens produces but the Bronica is smaller and comes with accessories that make it easier to handle.

Now my question is, buying a camera of this size is it true what I read online that I might as well forget about handholding? I will probably use tripods majority of the time but I would also like to walk around and handhold these cameras, is the internet right, would that just be silly and I'd be much better off buying a rangefinder type MF camera? If so any recommendations on which one? I really like the GW690 and GM670 models mostly because they're withing my price range.

It's a little different but I loving love my TLRs so far, and they're handholdable.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

HNasty posted:

exposing a roll of 120 at the ground for you, brother :(

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

these are my favorite types of photos you do.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bukit Batok by alkanphel, on Flickr

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
wish I had a spare $300 right now

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/calgary/calumet-4x5-made-by-cambo/1126390055

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
Is this a decent package? Looking to do mostly still life/take photos of plants, flowers and larger flower arrangements/tablescapes. Not so much interested in having larger film (so expensive...maybe later when I have more money) but rather having the camera movements. It has the sinar zoom for 120/220 roll films which is nice. I'd also like to try doing collodion plates. I'm a science nerd and the process looks really fun.

Don't know which lenses I need. It comes with three...are these decent lenses? I've tried doing research but I think I need to get my hands on different lenses and use them before their sizing and what they're good for makes much sense.
How would macro work? Haven't researched it much but I think I would need a long monorail/bellows...? I don't do much macro but I want to make sure.

Thanks!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Flattened Spoon posted:

Is this a decent package? Looking to do mostly still life/take photos of plants, flowers and larger flower arrangements/tablescapes. Not so much interested in having larger film (so expensive...maybe later when I have more money) but rather having the camera movements. It has the sinar zoom for 120/220 roll films which is nice. I'd also like to try doing collodion plates. I'm a science nerd and the process looks really fun.

Don't know which lenses I need. It comes with three...are these decent lenses? I've tried doing research but I think I need to get my hands on different lenses and use them before their sizing and what they're good for makes much sense.
How would macro work? Haven't researched it much but I think I would need a long monorail/bellows...? I don't do much macro but I want to make sure.

Thanks!

Those lenses are great and all cover 4x5. I have the Calumet-rebranded version of the 65mm and while it only just covers 4x5, there's room for plenty of movements on 6x7.

It sounds like what you shoot is suited to a (bulky, heavy) monorail camera, so no problem there - I wouldn't otherwise recommend starting with a monorail. As I understand it the standard bellows there go to 400+mm, which is indeed enough for macro even with the 210mm lens. The 6" rail extension might not be enough to reach that bellows extension but it's relatively easy to find a longer one if you decide you need it. The Sinar Zoom is by far the best rollfilm back I've used and it alone is worth $500, so even the BIN price of $1500 for the package isn't bad, though I'd see if you can get it for $1000 or less. My only quibble is that while 90mm is a 'normal' length on 6x6 and 6x7, it's pretty wide on 4x5 if you eventually go that way, and 210mm is a portrait length even on 4x5; so if you want a 'normal' for 4x5 you'd have to buy one later (maybe a 150mm).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

A Kickstarter worth backing!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1653453089/sp-445-compact-4x5-film-processing-system

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

Those lenses are great and all cover 4x5. I have the Calumet-rebranded version of the 65mm and while it only just covers 4x5, there's room for plenty of movements on 6x7.

It sounds like what you shoot is suited to a (bulky, heavy) monorail camera, so no problem there - I wouldn't otherwise recommend starting with a monorail. As I understand it the standard bellows there go to 400+mm, which is indeed enough for macro even with the 210mm lens. The 6" rail extension might not be enough to reach that bellows extension but it's relatively easy to find a longer one if you decide you need it. The Sinar Zoom is by far the best rollfilm back I've used and it alone is worth $500, so even the BIN price of $1500 for the package isn't bad, though I'd see if you can get it for $1000 or less. My only quibble is that while 90mm is a 'normal' length on 6x6 and 6x7, it's pretty wide on 4x5 if you eventually go that way, and 210mm is a portrait length even on 4x5; so if you want a 'normal' for 4x5 you'd have to buy one later (maybe a 150mm).

Awesome, thank you so much. I've been lusting over large format for years now and my willpower is slipping haha. Might get it for BIN if I can get people to give me Christmas monies. It just come with so many other extras that add up quickly.

That kickstarter might push me over the edge into large format though...god help me.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

I emailed that dude and asked the chances of an 8x10 system in the future and got this in response: "If the market is there, then yes. I'll be running a research survey soon. Probably on APUG or largeformatphotography."

I'd be so in for an 8x10 one.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The lovely dark boxes I made for using hangers work okay for 8x10, but the 4x5 never develops quite right, and it'd be awesome to process 4x5 colour at home with only 500ml of solution. It'll end up costing $100 AUD including shipping if they get the processor fabrication working, so it's totally worth it I think.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I'm using Unicolor drums but even with two of them doing 8x10 takes forever. I was gonna drop the $300 on a catlabs spool after the holidays tbh.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I think WTF was using the catlab spool and he wasn't overly impressed, non-uniform development and a bit of scratching apparently. But I think he got the first run of them, so they would have improved the product I would assume.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Tribuna degli Uffizi by alkanphel, on Flickr

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ownage

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012

I want a print of this...

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ethanfr0me posted:

I want a print of this...

Really?

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012

Sent a pm!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

150€ well spent, I hope. And there's an extra back too.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Flattened Spoon posted:

Thanks!

I had the Sinar F2 camera and I loved it. For what you're using it for you will love it. Very solid. Looks like a nice deal. I paid $700US for the Sinar F2 body with no lenses if that helps.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Got back a roll of Provia 100

img264.jpg by Kevin Nicotera, on Flickr

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Got back a roll of Provia 100

img264.jpg by Kevin Nicotera, on Flickr

Please straighten the horizon.

Otherwise, looks really nice.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Spent the last couple of days shooting test plates on board. Ironing out some chem issues. After about 8 plates I finally got this one that was close to acceptable. Pretty challenging environment to shoot wet plate in.
Start shooting crew portraits tomorrow. Sorry for the lovely iphone pic. I'll scan the 'keepers'.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 18, 2015

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

I had the Sinar F2 camera and I loved it. For what you're using it for you will love it. Very solid. Looks like a nice deal. I paid $700US for the Sinar F2 body with no lenses if that helps.

Hey, what the gently caress, you convinced me. :homebrew:

Edit: Awesome plate by the way. You're the one who made me want to try doing it. You're doing this on a ship?

Flattened Spoon fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 18, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Galleria degli Uffizi by alkanphel, on Flickr

That70sShirt
Nov 13, 2015

I did my first tray-developing of 4x5 film last night and, while a little nerve-wracking, it went (mostly) well. I avoided scratching any of the negs and they have even development, but have a ridiculous amount of contrast. This is strange because the scenes I was photographing had no more than a 4-stop difference from dark to light, but the resulting negatives look like they were made on the surface of the Moon. I'm shooting Delta 100 and developing in Ilfosol 3 for 5 minutes, using the "standard" agitation scheme of moving one sheet from the bottom of the stack to the top and going through the whole stack once every 30 seconds. I was developing two sheets at a time, so there was minimal agitation once every 15 seconds. I obviously did something wrong somewhere (unless Delta 100 just naturally has less latitude than slide film). Any advice would be much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

That70sShirt posted:

I did my first tray-developing of 4x5 film last night and, while a little nerve-wracking, it went (mostly) well. I avoided scratching any of the negs and they have even development, but have a ridiculous amount of contrast. This is strange because the scenes I was photographing had no more than a 4-stop difference from dark to light, but the resulting negatives look like they were made on the surface of the Moon. I'm shooting Delta 100 and developing in Ilfosol 3 for 5 minutes, using the "standard" agitation scheme of moving one sheet from the bottom of the stack to the top and going through the whole stack once every 30 seconds. I was developing two sheets at a time, so there was minimal agitation once every 15 seconds. I obviously did something wrong somewhere (unless Delta 100 just naturally has less latitude than slide film). Any advice would be much appreciated.

Isn't Delta 100 pretty contrasty to begin with? Also with ilfosol isn't it just an agitation once every minute for 10 seconds or so?

How do yours compare here: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=%22delta%20100%22%20pushed&view_all=1

• Locked thread