Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

i just don't see what else you need on a desk, then again I think I only need one 27" monitor. you can see my very own Goon Command Center in this thread, and i'm never pressed for space!

Yes but is it in the basement? This is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I just got a Predator x34 inch monitor, its a beauty. Its sitting on top of a varidesk, which I can raise to convert into a standing desk.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FateFree posted:

I just got a Predator x34 inch monitor, its a beauty. Its sitting on top of a varidesk, which I can raise to convert into a standing desk.

What keyboard do ya got there?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

FateFree posted:

Doesn't the keyboard get in the way of your legs when using the desk sitting down? Also, don't those keyboards have the speakers at the bottom? (mine at least has, that's why I keep it on a stand instead of on a flat surface).

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

FateFree posted:

Nice! The slide out piano tray looks neat! Was that included, or did you build it yourself?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

My keyboard is a Nord Piano 2, which is really beautiful on its own and has a nice slim profile. It doesn't have speakers underneath, I'm just outputting to the two speakers on the desk. But, its a tight squeeze if I want to put my legs under the desk, I can get my knees about 6 inches in before it starts to get uncomfortable. To be honest, the monitor is so big that I sit way further back. The desk was just an ikea desk, I built the pullout drawer with some wood from home depot and those heavy duty file cabinet slider things. Here is the piano out and the stand up desk, just to show you:

FateFree fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 2, 2015

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
My current desk is hilariously covered in filth right now, it would make a nice goony pic except I already disposed of all the piss bottles. I am being evicted from my 1st floor nice, square, 10 x 10 room and moving into a soon to be finished basement irregular tetradecagon shaped room:

The greenish desk in the floor plan above is my future basement Goon Command and Control Operations Center(tm). The dimensions of that alcove measure 5'5" x 4'. To the left, the next "alcove" (or wing of the main area) measures 7'2" x 2'9", in this area I want to put a work bench or desk so that I can have a hobby area for models and other man-child toys. The yellow-ish box is supposed to represent a file cabinet, and the last barely visible box in front of the door represents a book case.

For the desk itself, I think my best option will be to mount two or three shelf standards, and use 24" brackets and a piece plywood. I still like sitting on my rear end, but wall mounting with standards would allow the possibility of a standing desk in the future. With the dimensions of the room, I don't think there is any better spot to put a desk. . . I plan to install my old desk (Target brand writing table) just to see if the 5'5" x 4' alcove is too claustrophobic or not.

As for the shelf/desk load, looking at sagulator, I have use the default load of 30lbs/foot. I'm sure my monitors are significantly less than 30lbs/foot but I do occasionally lean on my desk and don't want it to collapse. . . What load value should I use in sagulator so that my desk won't fall apart if I lean on it while sitting in my chair? What about if I (200lbs) want to be able to stand on the desk to change a light bulb?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

FateFree posted:

My keyboard is a Nord Piano 2, which is really beautiful on its own and has a nice slim profile. It doesn't have speakers underneath, I'm just outputting to the two speakers on the desk. But, its a tight squeeze if I want to put my legs under the desk, I can get my knees about 6 inches in before it starts to get uncomfortable. To be honest, the monitor is so big that I sit way further back. The desk was just an ikea desk, I built the pullout drawer with some wood from home depot and those heavy duty file cabinet slider things. Here is the piano out and the stand up desk, just to show you:

I didn't know Cobra had a SA account!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I've been considering my options regarding my desk/work area/shelves, and decided to put a second rail in the middle of the wall so I can split the shelves in two (my wall is 3m and the longest piece of wood is 2.60, this way I can make two 1.5m pieces, it won't be seamless but eh).

For some reason I've neglected the wall opposite the guitars, which has a "usable" 80cm stretch just before the windows. So far my options are:

1) 3 long shelves (space between shelves: 42cm)

2) Three long shelves, 3 shortes shelves in between.

3) Same as 2), but with the shorter shelves on the side wall.

4) 4 long shelves (space between shelves: ~31cm)

5) Other? (mismatched length / alternating shelves / put the guitars on the green wall and make a giant gently caress off shelf on the left wall / kill myself).

I think 2 and 3 may be cutting a little too close with the space between the shorter shelves (which would come to 20cm taking the thickness of the shelves into account) but may be just the ticket for dvds/games/short books).

Thanks again for the patience, any input will be appreciated. :D

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

If you own, consider doing a channel for cable management and wires. One way is to frame a 2x4's thickness out from the extant wall and add drywall or corrugated metal or wood or laminate flooring kind of like wainscoting - about 4 ft high. You place one of those long power strips or battery backups or whatever inside the resulting channel and plug it in or if you are a diy guy or know an electrician have it wired in. On top you put a cap of 2x6 maple or mdf or whatever and you have it on a piano hinge so it hinges open to get to the cabling. All your wires are hidden from view except for where you need them to pass through to your devices and you now have a shelf all along the wall.

My only other comment is that the guitars are hanging too low and you may want a deeper desk!

Moosepickle
Nov 29, 2015

I was cured, all right!
We have 3 gamers in our house. The upstairs "office" was too cramped (and too hot). So we converted half of the living room into a computer room.

Pictures were taken a few months ago, we have since added a NAS and 4th monitor to the mix.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Moosepickle posted:

We have 3 gamers in our house. The upstairs "office" was too cramped (and too hot). So we converted half of the living room into a computer room.

Pictures were taken a few months ago, we have since added a NAS and 4th monitor to the mix.

Nice

also

Do you have a sheet where you divvy up J/O sesh times

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

AEMINAL posted:

Nice

also

Do you have a sheet where you divvy up J/O sesh times

Nah, dude. Bros gotta help each other out, youknowwatimsayin?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TenementFunster posted:

i just don't see what else you need on a desk, then again I think I only need one 27" monitor. you can see my very own Goon Command Center in this thread, and i'm never pressed for space!

Well, I was teasing you for the standard goonism of "if I don't need it, then there's no reasonable reason for it to exist," but if you're serious, I really like the depth and width of the Jerker because I can shove the monitor back, put the keyboard and mouse to one side, and have a big book open on the other side, and write or draw in the middle.

Myself, I see a lot of desks on this thread where the keyboard and monitor are so close to the edge of the desk it looks like it's designed for a T-Rex with back problems. If I don't have a cavernous amount of room and move my peripherals around now and then I get cramps all through my neck and shoulders.

I'm surprised we agree on one thing, though: one monitor's enough. I thought I was the last single monitor dude alive.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Have you guys ever used dual monitors?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Google Butt posted:

Have you guys ever used dual monitors?

Yes. It's nice to have but not critical for my uses. I even worked in a NOC for a while and flipped between dual monitors and just my laptop screen without any issues. I utterly depend on virtual desktops, though.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I could not do without dualies at work, no way no how. I have 4 at the moment but one of them is a clock, because its on its way out and I like having a big JavaScript clock.

At home I technically have dualies but one monitor is a hacked up repurposed laptop screen at 1280x800 that is a clock 95% of the time while I play games or watch videos on the normal monitor. If I am working at home though I use it for documentation. Previously, if i was working from home i'd just chucked my laptop on my desk with synergy for documentation.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Oh sure, it's not that I can't see the use (I've done a lot of tech writing, and there are times I wish I had a little popout screen for Netflix), I've just learned to do without and I'm fine with one screen. Also means I don't feel half blind if I take my work on a laptop to a coffee place.

One thing I did was instead of having a bunch of status stuff on one monitor, I just had a thousand nagios alerts hitting my email account and a rendered voice announcing the ones I cared about. I wasn't very popular there.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

doctorfrog posted:

a rendered voice announcing the ones I cared about. I wasn't very popular there.

I probably would have beaten you over the head with your keyboard. Or politely asked you to get some headphones.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Moey posted:

I probably would have beaten you over the head with your keyboard. Or politely asked you to get some headphones.

Both. At the same time.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

KillHour posted:

Both. At the same time.

Looking back, I'd say, "Rightfully so."

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah
LIVING IN poo poo at the (unusually dirty) office:

As a developer, I pretty much lost my ability to function without those mounts within the first 3 days of having them. :v:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

root beer posted:

As a developer, I pretty much lost my ability to function without those mounts within the first 3 days of having them. :v:

Digging your neighbor's kleenex. Does he stay late at the office usually?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

root beer posted:

This is where poo poo code breeds.

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah

Rabid Snake posted:

Digging your neighbor's kleenex. Does he stay late at the office usually?
It's Seattle. It's basically a necessity year-round... y'know, regardless :v:

Moey posted:

This is where poo poo code breeds.
Where does great code breed? A basement? Top office of the biggest skyscraper?

Unless you're judging based on the yoga ball in which case, fair assumption :v:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

root beer posted:

Unless you're judging based on the yoga ball in which case, fair assumption :v:

Yes the ball. But I hate to hate. Work however you like to, its your domain.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Newly re-arranged and re-imagined setup still with the same lovely desk

Happy with it gear wise, but I could use some suggestions for general convenience and inventiveness. Yes, a new desk is definitely in order.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BabyRyoga posted:

Happy with it gear wise, but I could use some suggestions for general convenience and inventiveness. Yes, a new desk is definitely in order.

Your gear looks like schitt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkKOeeYko7w

v a gently caress schitt stack.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 18, 2015

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

a literal schiit stack

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Not a stack yet, I need $2200 USD or so for a Yggdrasil.

Someone hook me up?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

reorganized a little bit and put to use a second desk i was gonna give to my brother but he didn't have space for.

my bf and i sometimes play games together :3:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Moved my home office to a different room,

Still need to paint and remove some leftover screws from what was hanging on those walls before, but so far I like it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is that cheese pizza carpet?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is that a closet?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I generally avoid being a debbie downer; but sheesh, the wire shelving makes it look like you decorated by robbing Goodwill.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

yikes

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
$5 hot and fresh is a cheap delicious way to minimize your sqft cost when putting in a new floor.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Jealous Cow posted:

Is that a closet?
mom's basement, or he's the second coming of Josef Fritzl

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Marinmo posted:

mom's basement, or he's the second coming of Josef Fritzl

I like that he has seating room for when he has clients over. Even has some dog toys to play with and a blue shower curtain view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevengeOfLibo
Nov 20, 2002

This guy has the intelligence of a wilted cabbage...
My only desktop, which is at my office (I own a software development/UNIX systems support business)

Only registered members can see post attachments!