Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

FatherChristmas posted:

I work in software development but definitely not game development. Your entire industry frightens me, I got out early on in my career.

Same. Game developers need a union, they are getting screwed six ways from Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Sarsapariller posted:

Same. Game developers need a union, they are getting screwed six ways from Sunday.

Are you saying that game developers need to form a guild?

:rimshot:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

What's a 'guaranteed send' flag, Derek?

It's something you have to implement (set) yourself, as a form of reliability for important data (e.g. if you use UDP for message based sends) being sent. Also packet ordering helps. Though UDP is unreliable, you can build reliable packets yourself. Some middleware (e.g. ReplicaNet, RakNet) already have that level of support (e.g. RakNet has RELIABLE_ORDERED) built in already.

Additional reading:

http://www.gabrielgambetta.com/fpm1.html

http://www.jenkinssoftware.com/raknet/manual/Doxygen/

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 18, 2015

FatherChristmas
Nov 9, 2012

'Tis the season

Karl, fucketh thyself.

Sarsapariller posted:

I completely agree. The way they're treated is kind of why I bailed. The pay was better and the benefits were way better, though the latter seems to depend on company size and investment.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The utter cognitive dissonance in the comments on the hitler video are better than the video itself.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

imperialparadox posted:

I suppose that the very basic building blocks of SQ42 are already developed, because if you think about it Arena Commander is likely going to be the framework for the majority of SQ42 gameplay. SQ42 is probably just going to be set-piece fights within enclosed areas of space that happen between hour-long cut scenes; I seriously doubt that there will be much freedom in terms of flying off out of the "encounter zones" to explore other areas in SQ42. So with that thought, SQ42 will basically be zoning into different Arena Commander maps and engaging the AI that is there, and I expect that SQ42 is going to be a very linear game if finished, with a handful of divergent story pathways similar to the old Wing Commander games, but nothing really new or revolutionary in terms of gaming experiences.

You are right though, at three years into development (or whatever it is) many of the core systems such as fuel, sensors, customization, etc. are still talked about by the designers as very vague concepts, and they often admit that they still aren't even sure how these various systems are going to be implemented. While a lot of the customization options aren't strictly necessary for SQ42 (there really isn't a need for the player to be able to customize a ship within a military story since equipment is issued), CIG still hasn't gotten down basic things like weapon balance or the flight model in a game about flying. This is probably the result of the overall problem with CIG - Croberts cares more about making a movie than he does a game, so his company spends all its time doing mocap and hiring actors for Sandi to play with while they work on the actual game as a sort of side-project that is in a development hell of constant bugs and restarts. If you think about it, Vanduul Swarm is basically the first iteration of a combat mission for SQ42, and Vanduul Swarm is incredibly easy and extremely boring after the first few playthroughs, and adding voice actors and Gary Oldman's head to a chat window isn't going to make the gameplay any more exciting or really add anything to that.

The last thing I heard about SQ42 from Roberts was the opposite; he fully intended for it to be some kind of an open world experience where you have side missions and other stuff. I distinctly remember him saying that because it was so different from the old Wing Commander style. How that works when you're a military pilot is beyond me, but one of the major characters is the security chief for the station so perhaps you have more autonomy than most. Supposedly you will be able to select your loadout to some extent.

A good example of the kind of bullshit CIG needs to fix is weapon unification. It's been nearly 18 months and different guns still have different points of aim. It's something I talked with Zane about a year ago and they still haven't fixed it for reasons that are beyond my ability to understand or comprehend.

Bait and Swatch posted:

When croberts was fiddling with his joysticks on that stream, were they actually set up wrong or was he just functionally retarded? I don't use joysticks so I have no way to tell

The throttle wasn't even plugged in.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bait and Swatch posted:

When croberts was fiddling with his joysticks on that stream, were they actually set up wrong or was he just functionally retarded? I don't use joysticks so I have no way to tell

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The throttle wasn't even plugged in.

For bonus points, it looked to me like he was using the same keyboard/flightstick combo they've picked to sell as an official licensed SC controller. That certainly invites confidence in how well that product will work…

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

If croberts, sroberts and blesnick are as lovely as people claim, I have to wonder how much of their employee's spit they consume daily.

Because I'd sure as hell be flobbing in their coffee at every opportunity.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The utter cognitive dissonance in the comments on the hitler video are better than the video itself.

The best is the comment that the account is probably Dsmart :tinfoil:

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

CashEnsign posted:

Han Solo dies.

I really wanted to say "You horrible rear end in a top hat!" to this one, but it just came in handy at work.

boss: "Are you going to see the new Star Wars movie?"

me: "Yeah, in a couple of weeks when the crowds die down."

boss: "You want to hear a spoiler?"

me: " . . . Han Solo dies?"

boss: " . . . What?"

me: "Han Solo dies?"

boss: "NO! You were supposed to say 'No no no no no I don't want to hear any spoilers' and freak out! Now you just spoiled it for ME!"

me: "Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Bait and Swatch posted:

The best is the comment that the account is probably Dsmart :tinfoil:

shitzens seem to think there is only one person on the entire planet who thinks star citizen is retarded and that he has hundreds of alt accounts on every website.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I still love how these morons think that the naysayers are all Dsmart fanboys. I don't think I've ever touched a Dsmart game in my life.

Archive this Reddit, I think Star Citizen is poo poo and doomed to fail because I'm capable of independent thought, critical thinking, and not easily suckered into obvious scams.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hail Satan I guess

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

lol at the upvotes

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Chris Roberts, boldly scamming has no man has scammed before.

Xaerael posted:

I still love how these morons think that the naysayers are all Dsmart fanboys. I don't think I've ever touched a Dsmart game in my life.

Archive this Reddit, I think Star Citizen is poo poo and doomed to fail because I'm capable of independent thought, critical thinking, and not easily suckered into obvious scams.
The only direct contact I've had with a DS game was purchasing BC3000AD when it hit the stores. In any jury trial against DS that'd get me immediately excused for prejudice but apparently to the shitizens it makes me a Smart drone.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 18, 2015

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SA legal timer

:psyduck:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hail Satan I guess

I mean, sure, you could have posted like "I wish Derek Smart actually was Hitler, because the Holocaust would have been years behind schedule and never actually worked", but yeah, no, let's just go with Hitler did nothing wrong

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

wikidd posted:

Well, CIG has a presence in the UK. I'm currently talking to them about my refund, and I've pointed out that the small claims court procedure here is actually very cheap and can be done online.

I thought EU members couldn't be denied a refund. Tell 'em "gently caress you, pay me".

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Gabriel Pope posted:

lol at the upvotes
The comment would get Kurt_M's vote.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pretty sure Hitler had a series of objectives that, despite a strong start, popular support, being on the bleeding edge of technology and relying heavily on people being pushed to work excessive hours in unsuitable conditions, he failed to accomplish due to a combination of arrogance, inability to compromise and the removal of any dissenting voices.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Pretty sure Hitler had a series of objectives that, despite a strong start, popular support, being on the bleeding edge of technology and relying heavily on people being pushed to work excessive hours in unsuitable conditions, he failed to accomplish due to a combination of arrogance, inability to compromise and the removal of any dissenting voices.

He was also a tantrum prone cockhole manchild too.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Gabriel Pope posted:

I mean, sure, you could have posted like "I wish Derek Smart actually was Hitler, because the Holocaust would have been years behind schedule and never actually worked", but yeah, no, let's just go with Hitler did nothing wrong

:ssh:

Unlike the person I quoted, I wasn't being serious. I don't get how someone could casually compare the two, but then again I didn't buy into SC

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

MilesK posted:

I thought EU members couldn't be denied a refund. Tell 'em "gently caress you, pay me".

Yeah they don't have a leg to stand on in the UK. If they don't pay up at least small claims is easy to do online and once it reaches that point it's certain they'll fold (and have to pay costs).

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Gabriel Pope posted:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

Chris Roberts playing Star Citizen 2.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

It includes the attempt to cut away while Chris gets mad that the game isn't working.

Holy poo poo you guys weren't kidding. What a complete embarrassment

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

So, who got fired today at CIG?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Xaerael posted:

So, who got fired today at CIG?

General Steiner.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hahaha, further proof these poor bastards religiously comb every burger recipe and obscure running joke that we poo poo in this thread in search for some meaning. :hawaaaafap:
Judging by the dates they are probably referring to these posts of mine back in December 4th:

MeLKoR posted:

TTerrible posted:

Most people acknowledged that Croberts and Co posting that giant legal rant was a bad move, lets not pitchfork DSmart for keeping quiet.
I'm not pitchforking anyone but after reading two dozen 30 page blogs repeating the same "once they go over the original kickstarter November deadline that's when the lawsuits start so they are forced to reveal their accounting" I don't expect the issue to just never be mentioned again the same as ship pets or alien languages.

MeLKoR posted:

Romes128 posted:

Sounds like his lawyers told him to stfu.

I actually think he's gonna go through with it. His ego will make him.
I guess we'll just have to wait ~*two weeks*~ then. Tick-tock Derek...

Well, for me this was enough.

D_Smart posted:

Working through it. Can't say more than that.

As we suspected, there is no getting around the arbitration clause, due to many court rulings (the latest) which made it legal for corps to shaft their customers without the huge expense of lawsuits. So no class action. Anyone who has a beef with SC, has to go it alone, or as a non-class group.
If you don't know DS well enough by now to realize this is the closest you'll ever extract from him in lieu of a retraction I don't know what to tell you other than I hope you're sitting comfortably while you wait.

No point in pressing the issue further, for me this was all I wanted. Trying to squeeze more blood out of this turnip will only make him get confrontational and leave. Laugh management is a careful balance between short term meltdowns and long term sustained laughs. Pressing him too much will probably lead to an hilarious meltdown but considering the mountain of laughs he brings from the SC crowd simply for having an audience here that's sillier than killing the goose that lays golden eggs.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 18, 2015

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

quote:

LOL they just say that to cover their back if they're wrong. Goons have swallowed Derek's salty load and can't now think for themselves.

They're backing him all the way because they believe he's right. Why else are people like boocha and beer4 cuddling up to him after pulling their money? Of course when the game launches and it becomes painfully apparent they've been had, they'll just say "oh lol we knew we were just pretending" to try and save face. That didn't sound convincing when I was 6, and it still doesn't now

poo poo guys, reddit has found us out! :cripes:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I think this is the moment Chris realized his game was a piece of poo poo and a failure

https://youtu.be/ZWq8ynUq7wM?t=1061

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Bait and Swatch posted:

I didn't look in detail but it was an x52 Pro which by default uses the X52 bindings which are basically completely wrong, CIG have yet to provide sensible default bindings for the X52 Pro.

Beyond that, I've noticed that the connection between the throttle and stick often becomes unplugged, I remember this happening at the frontier dev booth at GDC and it confused the devs no end until I showed them the problem.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Berious posted:

I think this is the moment Chris realized his game was a piece of poo poo and a failure

https://youtu.be/ZWq8ynUq7wM?t=1061

This segment is begging for some airhorn action.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

General Steiner.

Goodbye General Steiner
Though I never knew you at all
You had the grace to stand up
To Chris Roberts' insanity
He fumbled at his joypad
As Sandi handed him your dismissal letter
They tried to cut the livestream
Now the streaming guy's fired too

And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a candle in the 'verse
Never knowing who's fired next
When Sandi's mood changed
And I would have liked to have known you
But I was just a Goon
Your candle burned out long before
Your legend ever did

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

illectro posted:

I didn't look in detail but it was an x52 Pro which by default uses the X52 bindings which are basically completely wrong, CIG have yet to provide sensible default bindings for the X52 Pro.

Beyond that, I've noticed that the connection between the throttle and stick often becomes unplugged, I remember this happening at the frontier dev booth at GDC and it confused the devs no end until I showed them the problem.

I read somewhere that Saitek stuff is now garbage. Is this true? I might want to upgrade my controller for an actual game.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

MeLKoR posted:

Well, for me this was enough.

If you don't know DS well enough by now to realize this is the closest you'll ever extract from him in lieu of a retraction I don't know what to tell you other than I hope you're sitting comfortably while you wait.

No point in pressing the issue further, for me this was all I wanted. Trying to squeeze more blood out of this turnip will only make him get confrontational and leave. Laugh management is a careful balance between short term meltdowns and long term sustained laughs. Pressing him too much will probably lead to an hilarious meltdown but considering the mountain of laughs bring from the SC crowd simply for having an audience here that's sillier than killing the goose that lays golden eggs.

To be fair, things were probably on track up until this past Monday, when the Supreme Court affirmed the enforceability of class arbitration waivers via the Supremacy Clause of the US constitution, and the Federal Arbitration Act of 1925.

In California, such waivers of class arbitration were unconscionable under court decision. They are not under federal law.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/15/us/politics/supreme-court-upholds-arbitration-in-directtv-case.html

This is incredibly bad for consumer rights in general, not just imaginary spaceships, but I imagine this is how Derek had the basis? Standing? Ability? I don't know the exact legalese word that needs to be used here, but California law would have permitted the class-action lawsuit to go forward.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 18, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

illectro posted:

As in the physical plug is unreliable/falls out or as in the driver layer flakes out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash74
May 11, 2009
LOL they just say that to cover their back if they're wrong. Goons have swallowed Derek's salty load and can't now think for themselves.

They're backing him all the way because they believe he's right. Why else are people like boocha and beer4 cuddling up to him after pulling their money? Of course when the game launches and it becomes painfully apparent they've been had, they'll just say "oh lol we knew we were just pretending" to try and save face. That didn't sound convincing when I was 6, and it still doesn't now

:psyboom: welp time to call it quits fellas, writing mushmouth a check for 15 grand today

• Locked thread