Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Antasma was the antagonist of Dream Team.

You mean the guy who shows up like twice outside of defeating him?

And also they don't bring up how he looks similar to Cackletta for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

People are actually complaining about Bowser being a villain in a Mario game? Christ. All that matters is, is the writing any good, and is the progression fun rather than tedious?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

So your complaint is merely that Bowser is the villain instead of a playable character.

I mean, he wasn't playable outside of joke scenes in TTYD either and that was some good Bowser.

SSS too.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Not a Children posted:

People are actually complaining about Bowser being a villain in a Mario game? Christ. All that matters is, is the writing any good, and is the progression fun rather than tedious?

The number of times Bowser has been the villain in Mario RPGs before recently was 1 out of 7.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Aurora posted:

You mean the guy who shows up like twice outside of defeating him?

And also they don't bring up how he looks similar to Cackletta for some reason?

Are you talking about Antasma? I don't see any similarities.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aurora posted:

I mean, he wasn't playable outside of joke scenes in TTYD either and that was some good Bowser.

SSS too.

So your complaint is... that Bowser is being used but not in the very specific and immensely narrow way you want him to be used, which includes "is a reoccurring presence in the game" and "is possessed and becomes the final boss."

Like you have yet to say why Bowser being the villain is bad except that Bowser is the villain and therefore it's bad? And also other villains don't count for whatever reason?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

So your complaint is... that Bowser is being used but not in the very specific and immensely narrow way you want him to be used, which includes "is a reoccurring presence in the game" and "is possessed and becomes the final boss."

Like you have yet to say why Bowser being the villain is bad except that Bowser is the villain and therefore it's bad? And also other villains don't count for whatever reason?

Mario RPGs typically haven't had Bowser as the final boss? I mean what is hard to understand here. Him and Antasma worked "together" and then Bowser just was like "yeah I used him whatever now I'm the best".

I've also never really heard people be surprised or excited that Bowser was the final boss of Dream Team.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Aurora posted:

Mario RPGs typically haven't had Bowser as the final boss? I mean what is hard to understand here. Him and Antasma worked "together" and then Bowser just was like "yeah I used him whatever now I'm the best".

I've also never really heard people be surprised or excited that Bowser was the final boss of Dream Team.

Boy do you look in the wrong places.

(Also, I was really excited when I saw Bowser leave Antasma at the Mario Bros.'s mercy and establish himself as the "better villain" because holy poo poo was the opposite a trend in Mario RPGs for quite a while whenever a new villain would show up.)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Aurora posted:

I was surprised by him being the final boss after the first M&L had him as an amnesiac disciple to Popple for the entire game before he regained his memory just in time to be possessed, PiT making him a 2-bit side villain who does less than his baby self and BiS making him the de-facto hero of the story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aurora posted:

Superstar Saga had Bowletta who was literally a possessed Bowser who primarily fought using Bowser's attacks and was literally guarded by the Koopalings.
Bowser's Inside Story had Dark Bowser.

And even ignoring that why is Bowser being used inherently bad? Like everyone I know who has played the game has said it's genuinely good and it's biggest flaw is that the Paper Mario stuff is entirely a side-thought compared to the M&L stuff.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 18, 2015

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Fine, you got me, I'm just a bitter nerd who is disappointed in the recent offerings that Mario RPGs have given me.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bowser being the antagonist isn't a problem in and of itself, but it's another way that recent Mario RPGs have trended towards being like stock Mario games rather than having their own identities like SMRPG through BiS.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Motto posted:

Bowser being the villain isn't a problem in and of itself, but it's another way that recent Mario RPGs have trended towards being like stock Mario games rather than having their own identities like SMRPG through BiS.

This is mostly how I feel, yes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

Bowser being the antagonist isn't a problem in and of itself, but it's another way that recent Mario RPGs have trended towards being like stock Mario games rather than having their own identities like SMRPG through BiS.

Dream Team was filled with its own identity though?

Like even trying to pretend that it's a trend when literally the last Mario RPG was 90% original characters is silly as hell.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Dream Team definitely has a lot less character than the previous M&L games. I liked the multi-Luigi though.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ChaosArgate posted:

I was surprised by him being the final boss after the first M&L had him as an amnesiac disciple to Popple for the entire game before he regained his memory just in time to be possessed, PiT making him a 2-bit side villain who does less than his baby self and BiS making him the de-facto hero of the story.

Bowser being the secret head villain of Dream Team was actually kind of great because I thought I was smart when I pegged Antasma as likely to doublecross Bowser when the time was right.

And apparently Bowser did too and just backstabbed Antasma first and I was completely blindsided by it. :allears:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Dream Team was filled with its own identity though?

I'm not saying it applies to every game, but I think that's what people feel after what happened with Sticker Star and how that seems to be the "Paper Mario" that exists going forward as of Paper Jam.

Motto fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 18, 2015

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bowser should have been a protagonist, i agree

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Reading this conversation is like reading those rants from people crying about how Snape was a bad guy since it ruined their fanfictions where he just looks pretty and cries a lot.

:qqsay: Bowser is better than that!

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 18, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Aurora posted:

Bowser has been the antagonist of Sticker Star, Dream Team, and now Paper Jam :ssh:

Sticker Star was a paper Mario game, and Dream Teams antagonist was that nightmare bat guy.
Even though Bowser was the final boss, the plot wasnt about him.

greatn fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 18, 2015

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

mycot posted:

Reading this conversation is like reading those rants from people crying about how Snape was a bad guy since it ruined their fanfictions where he just looks pretty and cries a lot.

How dare you.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Bowser owns

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There's probably a lot of pretty crying Bowser fanart.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Complaining about Bowser is stupid anyways because Bowser owns and he's the greatest Nintendo bad guy ever.

(Hades from KIU is a very close second though)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
How does the Mario RPG fandom compare to, say, the Final Fantasy fandom, in terms of complaints and arguments?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think the more stock aspects of Paper Jam are due to it being a M&L game. A big reason why PM/TTYD bothered with making unique characters was so they could join you as Partners, and that doesn't happen in M&L games.

Motto fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 18, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

I'm not saying it applies to every game, but I think that's what people feel after what happened with Sticker Star and how that seems to be the "Paper Mario" that exists going forward as of Paper Jam.

The "Paper Mario" that exists is whatever people want it to be. People cling to one single line from an interview (and ignore the other context which was 'surveys showed people didn't care about plot in SPM"") to cling to the idea even though another Mario RPG came out that was almost entirely original characters and when it featured Bowser as the boss that was because Bowser was popular not because they didn't have another idea. (Because... they did and he was the focus of most of the game.)

Saying "Paper Jam is bad because Bowser is the antagonist" is meaningless. "Paper Jam is bad because the writing is dull" or whatever would be fine but I'll also say that everyone I've spoken to who has played the game generally says it's a good game that, at worst, has Paper Mario kind of awkwardly bolted on.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

greatn posted:

The size of one world cafe in Peoria.

I just had lunch there yesterday. :cheers:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
M&L still gives various enemies dialogue and personality and introduced a lot of new characters and races. The bean bean people, the P'illo, the Block people, weird guys like the muscle brothers, popple, etc.

Dream team was actually really good at calling back to all the weird characters from the other games by bringing them to the same vacation resort.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Electromax posted:

I just had lunch there yesterday. :cheers:

I went up there last Christmas and it was loving closed.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Literally the only question of whether or not Bowser is being used well in one of the Mario RPGs is: does he talk? In Sticker Star he did not, and thus was bad. In all the others he does and is entertaining and thus is good. As long as he talks in Paper Jam (I assume he does) then I'm all in.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Regy Rusty posted:

Literally the only question of whether or not Bowser is being used well in one of the Mario RPGs is: does he talk? In Sticker Star he did not, and thus was bad. In all the others he does and is entertaining and thus is good. As long as he talks in Paper Jam (I assume he does) then I'm all in.

He does talk. I don't know to what extent, but I've seen one conversation he has with himself, his son and his paper son and it was fantastic.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Superstar Saga had Bowletta who was literally a possessed Bowser who primarily fought using Bowser's attacks and was literally guarded by the Koopalings.
Bowser's Inside Story had Dark Bowser.

And even ignoring that why is Bowser being used inherently bad? Like everyone I know who has played the game has said it's genuinely good and it's biggest flaw is that the Paper Mario stuff is entirely a side-thought compared to the M&L stuff.

People like Bowser's persona in the Mario RPG's, and would like to see him in a prominent role outside of just being the villain because Bowser As The Bad Guy is usually a less interesting story. Like, both the examples you gave are the culmination of a plot involving other villains, same with TTYD.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

He does talk. I don't know to what extent, but I've seen one conversation he has with himself, his son and his paper son and it was fantastic.

Then we're sittin' pretty.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Bowser and Paper Bowser spend a lot of time arguing over which one of them is cooler or which one the princess likes more, while Bowsers Jrs become BFFs.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

People like Bowser's persona in the Mario RPG's, and would like to see him in a prominent role outside of just being the villain because Bowser As The Bad Guy is usually a less interesting story. Like, both the examples you gave are the culmination of a plot involving other villains, same with TTYD.

Pretty much this. Bowser is infinitely better when not the villian and i think whenever hes the bad guy its nintendo being lazy as poo poo because of nostalgia. A lot of the non bowser villians are unique and interesting. Bring back Wart.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Why does Bowser being the villain mean he isn't going to have a personality? I mean from what I've seen he's pretty funny in Paper Jam.

I guess I'm not really clear what people want? The dude's literally the archetypical villain and even in the games where he does good guy things it is because he's trying to be the villain again. That's the entire joke of his character.

Tengames posted:

Pretty much this. Bowser is infinitely better when not the villian..

When Bowser isn't the villain his plot is, in every case, "I want to be the villain again" and by the end he is in fact the villain again. There is no version of Bowser where he undergoes a deep introspective character development and becomes a non-villain character short of like comedy amnesia.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ChaosArgate posted:

Both Bowser and Paper Bowser talk, and they do it fairly often. It's way more than in Sticker Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tengames posted:

Pretty much this. Bowser is infinitely better when not the villian and i think whenever hes the bad guy its nintendo being lazy as poo poo because of nostalgia. A lot of the non bowser villians are unique and interesting. Bring back Wart.

Wart was onscreen for like 45 seconds 30 years ago and shoots bubbles at you

• Locked thread