Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ravane posted:

Who the gently caress came up with that idea? Why the gently caress would anyone want to buy a video game to be a hall monitor... Unless the motherfucker is paid to do that in real life, and wants to be a scifi version of himself...

HAHAHAHA. Maybe I should get my ten year old cousin, who's also a hall monitor, to play Space Hall Monitor simulator.

It ruined some whale's immersion to see people running all over the place. :haw:
I mean, you don't see people do that in real life, do you (you know… outside of major metropolitan areas… or any emergency service establishment… or in the military… or [etc]).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Lesnick cat

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

rofl the news van is the most expensive one too.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

P.S. Star Citizens, if you would like to see what actual game development looks like, look no further than the updates that "The Mandate" has been putting out once a month for the last couple years. This is a team that got more money than they expected, expanded their scope, actually signed a deal with a publisher, and I'm still completely on board with them- you know why? They were 100% up front every step of the way, and they've never asked for another dime since the original sale. Every month they demonstrate actual assets and you can see how things have improved over time, fitting into their general design goals.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964463742/the-mandate/posts/1448006?ref=backer_project_update

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Speaking of heckling, it's that time again!

Reverse the Verse

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 18, 2015

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

FatherChristmas posted:

I got completely burned from all the horror stories from Zynga and some of the others around here when I was sending out resumes when my internship ended.

The big one was 'when the project's over, expect to get canned'. I still can't believe that's common practice.

One of my best 3D people came from Zynga. I believe the stories are all/largely true.

That being said, one of my plans is, since we're all about remote development, with collaboration without physical plant, to hire people out after their section of the project is over, becoming a freelancing office for our workers we don't currently need, as well as maintaining a flow of effort of various types of programs, allowing for rotating from project to project easily.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Warcabbit posted:

... I have to ask. How many gaming professionals are in this thread anyhow?

I'm a project lead on an upcoming mmo of... dubious probability. (Kickstarted for roughly 1/150th of what a MMO actually costs) (still working my rear end off, though.)

We got Mr. Smart.

I know there's two or three other people.

I work in the games industry

Crash74
May 11, 2009

A Neurotic Jew posted:

he could literally just release the full 19 minute video with PARP blaring in the background. Every second brings the PARP.

https://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/yJKApWT.gif&v=gzSxBoxxzVM&s=42

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Free Kimsemus from this mortal coil

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

wikidd posted:

It's actually kind complicated. You can get around the Consumer Rights Directive by including language in the contract stating that there are to be no refunds. That way as soon as the service is being performed, you lose the right to get a refund. Because it all came into force around the same time as SC was launched, CIG didn't include any such language in their TOS.

Start Citizen isn't a service, it's a product, either it's delivered or it is not and in the EU you have *~two weeks~* after getting the product to ask for a refund. And I don't know exactly how it goes for services but I suspect you could still get a partial refund of the monthly fee if you had signed up for cable for example.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

G0RF posted:

Reverse the Verse

My stream froze

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I hate Jared

he's gross

Crash74
May 11, 2009
token has a new hat

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
so far the one thing I'm taking away from this livestream is that the planetary landing is DEFINITELY REAL. It's real! They couldn't believe how real it was when they saw it earlier.

Rest assured, it's real. What were we talking about?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I hate Jared

he's gross

I hate them all.

Not actively, but just a sort of low level disgust.

That feeling when you get gum on your shoe, that's what I feel when I look at these sorry excuses for human beings pandering to the emotionally and socially vulnerable.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Referrals for $30 package not credited as "recruited." posted:

Noticed this today - curious if others are seeing the same or if it's something with my account. I submitted a ticket already - my hunch is, since the site states that "whenever one of your recruits becomes an active player by purchasing a Game Package (with minimum value of $40 USD), you will get a Recruitment Point." I am not getting credit for my recruits who purchased the $30 package... which seems kind of suspect, as I recruited 3 people for a total of $90 and have 0 referral points to show for it. Not really a big deal to me, but something I think CIG should look at. Curious what the rest of you think!
:laffo:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

[url=https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xa06l/referrals_for_30_package_not_credited_as_recruited/]

:laffo:

lol

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
"I guarantee we intend to do it" I didn't catch what they were fake-promising but lol.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Wow, they're getting 2.1 out today? Unexpected but good for them. I look forward to bumming around somebody else's Freelancer.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Crash74 posted:

token has a new hat

If :lesnick: put your hat on his head and posed for an internet picture, wouldn't you get a new hat?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
I noticed this wasn't in the op: http://www.somethingawful.com/game-reviews/completely-libelous-review/1/

please add, tia

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Sarsapariller posted:

Wow, they're getting 2.1 out today? Unexpected but good for them. I look forward to bumming around somebody else's Freelancer.

Oh, what's new in 2.1? Birds? (ha ha joke, but I'm at work, what do they actually plan to release?)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Daztek posted:

My stream froze

Seth Rogan has really let himself go.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
2010 confirmed as start of development for SC

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

G0RF posted:

Reverse the Verse

Waitasec, am I crazy or does Ben look like substantially thinner? And his arms actually look reasonably proportioned?

What the gently caress happened after the livestream? :ohdear:

EDIT: Took a look at the livestream and the t-rex arms were there. Must be something about that clip.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
https://youtu.be/8dfor8BqFFk?t=1m25s

just watching the new stream, this is making me want to get a second morgage on my house and write mushmouth a fat check.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 18, 2015

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

SirPhoebos posted:

Waitasec, am I crazy or does Ben look like substantially thinner? And his arms actually look reasonably proportioned?

What the gently caress happened after the livestream? :ohdear:

Piñata.gif

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

P.S. Star Citizens, if you would like to see what actual game development looks like, look no further than the updates that "The Mandate" has been putting out once a month for the last couple years. This is a team that got more money than they expected, expanded their scope, actually signed a deal with a publisher, and I'm still completely on board with them- you know why? They were 100% up front every step of the way, and they've never asked for another dime since the original sale. Every month they demonstrate actual assets and you can see how things have improved over time, fitting into their general design goals.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964463742/the-mandate/posts/1448006?ref=backer_project_update

Oh cool, I completely forgot about this. I remember them having a browser tech demo where you could melt and bruise ships. Have they given any release dates?

Crash74
May 11, 2009

fuctifino posted:

If :lesnick: put your hat on his head and posed for an internet picture, wouldn't you get a new hat?

Serious post: How is this dude able to reach around to wipe his own rear end?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Tracy is explaining that he was a party of the Cry team that generated the "Star Citizen" demo used for the original Crowdfunding video. A video which, if memory serves, pitched itself as a demo of a game Chris and his team had been prototyping for some time before the kickoff.

Does this seem like an accidental reveal to anyone else? That Chris showed something he claimed was the early game, when in fact it was just a work-for-hire demo a 3rd party created?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Crash74 posted:

Serious reply: He cant.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Tracy is probably safe for now. Chris has lost his voice after a high volume re-education session of everyone involved in the christmas livestream.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

kikkelivelho posted:

Oh cool, I completely forgot about this. I remember them having a browser tech demo where you could melt and bruise ships. Have they given any release dates?

Scheduled for release in Q1 2016 last I heard, though that may have slipped a few months by now.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Oh, what's new in 2.1? Birds? (ha ha joke, but I'm at work, what do they actually plan to release?)

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/302876/pu-2-1-and-2-2-updates

This may have changed, who knows? But the short list:

• Stupid Whale Club For Whales
  • Increased Instance Cap In Social Module From 25 to 40
  • Technology for components in ships actually working
  • A bunch of ships going flight or hangar ready- khartu-al, freelancer, reliant, others?
  • More missions
  • Party/Group system

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Crash74 posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Bottom-Buddy-Toilet-Tissue-Aid/dp/B00136F1ZE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450467454&sr=8-2&keywords=wipe+extender

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Crash74 posted:

We've been over this a few times. Apparently there's some sort of aide you can buy which is essentially a stick with a grabby hand on the end. Someone posted a commercial of it a long while back when I asked this same question.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

G0RF posted:

Reverse the Verse

How much of a royal bollocking do you think Ben got after Chris publicly dressed him down. On camera even.

Look at him there literally and metaphorically pushed into the background. His overworked heart must be breaking. :smith:

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Warcabbit posted:

... I have to ask. How many gaming professionals are in this thread anyhow?

I'm a project lead on an upcoming mmo of... dubious probability. (Kickstarted for roughly 1/150th of what a MMO actually costs) (still working my rear end off, though.)

We got Mr. Smart.

I know there's two or three other people.

Technically I play games professionally. I also write code professionally. But those are both very separate.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Welp just over 6 weeks they finally replied and denied my refund. Pretty much the exact same as the previous image that was posted.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

TTerrible posted:

Tracy is probably safe for now. Chris has lost his voice after a high volume re-education session of everyone involved in the christmas livestream.

Star Wars 7 SPOILER: I can half imagine Crobert's post stream tantrum was not too much unlike Kylo Ren's reaction to Rey escaping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

Tracy is explaining that he was a party of the Cry team that generated the "Star Citizen" demo used for the original Crowdfunding video. A video which, if memory serves, pitched itself as a demo of a game Chris and his team had been prototyping for some time before the kickoff.

Does this seem like an accidental reveal to anyone else? That Chris showed something he claimed was the early game, when in fact it was just a work-for-hire demo a 3rd party created?

This just happened-- wording is imprecise... Tracy was talking about their PG plans- lakes, animal life, forests, alien life, whatever..

Tracy: "Procedural generation? Yes, we're working on what we call our..." (thinks about it, smiling)... "well I won't say what our internal code name is for it..."

Ben and Lando nod in a 'yes, it's best not to say that on camera'...

Let me guess, "Elite Killer?"

• Locked thread