Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ok, just got back from my second screening in less than 24 hours. Looks like I did miss a chunk of exposition that Han explained to Rey and Finn while I was in the bathroom, haha. What Leia said later on makes more sense now, regarding Ren having too much Vader in him, which is why she sent him to Luke; had that part mixed up a bit. Also, on second viewing, I'm kind of doubting that Finn is Force sensitive. Not completely, because that opening sequence and the musical cues surrounding Kylo Ren's arrival and Finn reacting to all the hosed up poo poo going on seems a bit too coincidental to me; it still feels like Finn was sensing Kylo Ren's arrival, and then that eventual stare down, where it comes off as if Kylo Ren is sensing something in Finn. I'm in the camp that he is Force sensitive still, so I'm hoping that's explored/explained/confirmed in the next episode.

And, just spitballing here, but another thing I noticed is Rey and Leia's first meeting felt more like a reunion. Did it come off to anyone else that they already knew each other? Like maybe Rey is putting up this facade that she's an orphan and Leia is protecting her origin. I kind of felt this way the first time, but the second screening it kind of came off as if Leia and Rey were lamenting the death of their husband and father respectively. Maybe Leia was pregnant with Rey slightly before she and Han split? Leia had her sometime after, opted not to tell Han about her, and eventually left her on Jakku in order to protect her from Kylo Ren and Snoke. Or maybe Rey and Leia just had that Force connection severed from Han and were just grieving together, I don't know.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BillBear posted:

Did anyone else think the random baton storm trooper owned?

Can't wait for Wookiepedia to give him an elaborate backstory.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bongo Bill posted:

This movie gets the prequels. The prequels are Kylo Ren's backstory as well as Darth Vader's. ANH (TFA) tells us that Darth Vader (Kylo Ren) was seduced by the Dark Side and helped the Empire (First Order) wipe out the last of the Jedi. The prequels tell us that actually, it's not that simple, and he had a less abstract motive for his infamous crimes. Remember this fact!

ESB challenged ANH: the villain actually used to be the hero. RotJ challenged ESB: the villain can be redeemed. The prequels challenged the originals: it's inevitable that the villain will fall in the same way. TFA begins with the aftermath of RotS (which is why it seems so similar to ANH; it's an alt-sequel with the characters switched around, much like RotJ showed another way the end of ANH could have played out), but it's preparing its successors to challenge the prequels by disassembling and solving the dilemma of Darth Vader's inevitability.

Adam Driver was channeling Hayden Christiansen in a big way. He's a synthesis of Anakin and Vader, driving home that they were the same character and the man beneath the mask was the truer performance than James Earl Jones'.

Dope. Can't wait to see it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

How many Ewoks do you think Kylo Ren killed to get Darth Vader's helmet?

All of them.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Own up, which one of you wrote this.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/12/star-wars-the-force-awakens-empire-joseph-campbell-george-lucas/

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
So I watched it again. Clear head, not pissed off at the theater for loving everything up, got to see it in 3d, got to see it with surround sound, got to really enjoy myself.

It loving rules.

And the 3d is the best used I've seen outside of Gravity (every other 3d movie is throwaway technology I feel)

A moment of silence for what the 10 years wasted on the prequels could have been if someone else directed them

I need more star war and I need it right loving now

and I love bb-8. I absolutely love that little guy.

I think everyone should see it twice. The first time there's just so much. And even though I *saw* the opening crawl I somehow never processed it. It pretty much says what is going on in straightforwrad language, even if it's not detailed.

Loved it.

hhhat fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 18, 2015

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

This movie gets the prequels. The prequels are Kylo Ren's backstory as well as Darth Vader's. ANH (TFA) tells us that Darth Vader (Kylo Ren) was seduced by the Dark Side and helped the Empire (First Order) wipe out the last of the Jedi. The prequels tell us that actually, it's not that simple, and he had a less abstract motive for his infamous crimes. Remember this fact!

ESB challenged ANH: the villain actually used to be the hero. RotJ challenged ESB: the villain can be redeemed. The prequels challenged the originals: it's inevitable that the villain will fall in the same way. TFA begins with the aftermath of RotS (which is why it seems so similar to ANH; it's an alt-sequel with the characters switched around, much like RotJ showed another way the end of ANH could have played out), but it's preparing its successors to challenge the prequels by disassembling and solving the dilemma of Darth Vader's inevitability.

Adam Driver was channeling Hayden Christiansen in a big way. He's a synthesis of Anakin and Vader, driving home that they were the same character and the man beneath the mask was the truer performance than James Earl Jones'.

This is a cool reading

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Calico Heart posted:

Also loving WASTED the dudes from the raid. Hope they're being set up for future releases.

Cecep Arif Rahman also worked as a stunt coordinator on the film so they were doing stuff behind the scenes as well. Apparently they were on set during the month of Ramadan so they were fasting 19 hours a day while also working their butts off. :black101:

Oh and they've already got their own Lego figures. :neckbeard: (Slightly spoilery)

hhhat posted:

and I love bb-8. I absolutely love that little guy.

:thumbsup:

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

:thumbsup:

edit: this guy http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0504962/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t32 had a really familiar face but I couldn't place him during the movie. Seems like apparently I've seen him in almost everything he's done.

hhhat fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 18, 2015

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So, further to the Snoke speculation, re-watch the Opera scene in Revenge of the Sith. The leitmotifs are more similar than Snoke and the Emperor's Theme.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
A couple questions and thoughts about the movie:

1. Okay so if Rey is Luke's daughter, just how old is Ren? We see Rey being left on Jakku (presumably by Luke) and he did so to hide her from Ren? When in the timeline did Ren actually massacre the Jedi order? Are Ren and Rey the same age?

2. The pacing in this movie is all kinds of weird. The movie has a strong opening and then wastes it with Finn rescuing not-Wedge on the Star Destroyer. I feel like that could have been compressed into "Finn sees massacre, breaks not-Wedge out before they leave the planet, and movie proceeds as it had."

3. Same deal with the Han Solo reveal. Why not just have Han be on the Falcon to begin with, hiding from his creditors? And Rey just steals the ship and then they try to stop her and they argue while under Imperial fire and whatnot? Movie then proceeds as it did.

4. The movie spends a lot of time on a lot of stuff like the two things I mentioned and then the entire last half felt sort of rushed. Were they pressed for time?

5. What exactly about the First Order is a threat to the Republic? Could the Republic kick the First Order's rear end if they really needed to? Is it like a Cold War situation where it's just endless proxy wars? And if the Republic was supposedly demilitarizing uh...... why?

6. What was the deal with the stormtrooper leader who didn't ever take her helmet off?

7. Why are the Imperials suddenly okay with following a non-human supreme leader?

Love Stole the Day posted:

Those Taiwanese CGI Cartoon people made a review of the Star Wars movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=259jj-5YgdI

"Where in the hell are all the Asians in this far, far away galaxy?"

I'm Asian and I lost it at the Falcon gunning down the crowd of Chinese people.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I have some questions as well...

1) How did Poe escape the crash? Did they explain that? An ejection pod would have made some sense, but then again Finn would have likely gone in that too.

2) Why is it called the Resistance despite it seeming to have more support galaxy-wide? The name made no sense, and something like the "(New) Republic Battalion" would have been fine.

3) Were there any old easter eggs I should look for again? I saw lots of props in the Falcon.

4) Do any of the new bridge books explain the years between trilogies better than the film did?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I just remembered this clip I saw from last year. Prophetic!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfiP915CfiM :thumbsup:

Hey just unspoiler this for my answers otherwise this is a pain in the rear end.

you guys posted:

1. Okay so if Rey is Luke's daughter, just how old is Ren? We see Rey being left on Jakku (presumably by Luke) and he did so to hide her from Ren? When in the timeline did Ren actually massacre the Jedi order? Are Ren and Rey the same age?

he says "this is the girl I've heard so much about" suggesting that maybe they never actually met before, but it could be Luke's daughter, sure. I think they're both the same age-ish.

2. The pacing in this movie is all kinds of weird. The movie has a strong opening and then wastes it with Finn rescuing not-Wedge on the Star Destroyer. I feel like that could have been compressed into "Finn sees massacre, breaks not-Wedge out before they leave the planet, and movie proceeds as it had."

Nah you had to establish what the interrigation chair was, what Kylo does to get poo poo out of your head, and bonus, he reads the 'droid has map' to move the plot. Watch it again.

3. Same deal with the Han Solo reveal. Why not just have Han be on the Falcon to begin with, hiding from his creditors? And Rey just steals the ship and then they try to stop her and they argue while under Imperial fire and whatnot? Movie then proceeds as it did.

You could do that, but then what he's been doing up to this point is less interesting. Him finally finding the falcon also gives us the audience a chance to join in on the remembering stuff.

4. The movie spends a lot of time on a lot of stuff like the two things I mentioned and then the entire last half felt sort of rushed. Were they pressed for time?

I don't think so

5. What exactly about the First Order is a threat to the Republic? Could the Republic kick the First Order's rear end if they really needed to? Is it like a Cold War situation where it's just endless proxy wars? And if the Republic was supposedly demilitarizing uh...... why?

First Order "rose from the ashes of the empire" and obviously has lots of guns. And then of course they have the death star that can kill you from a distance now. Crawl also said resistance under Leia is being supported by the republic, and while they didn't say what the resistance is, my guess is it's freedom fighters inside first order space, as opposed to republic, which is seperate. They could have dropped a sentence on this, but ultimately it's star wars. Bad guys bad, good guys good, you knew which was which and which side to cheer for. YAY star wars

6. What was the deal with the stormtrooper leader who didn't ever take her helmet off?

She chided Fin for taking his off. I think it's a thing.

7. Why are the Imperials suddenly okay with following a non-human supreme leader?

I think he's human actually, just deformed all to hell.

more questions!

1) How did Poe escape the crash? Did they explain that? An ejection pod would have made some sense, but then again Finn would have likely gone in that too.

there's an ejection seat and you can see the parachute still attached for Finn, so you assume he also ejected. Finn was super far away from the actual crash site, you can imagine Poe did the same. He says he woke up at night, so was out much longer than Finn.

2) Why is it called the Resistance despite it seeming to have more support galaxy-wide? The name made no sense, and something like the "(New) Republic Battalion" would have been fine.

I'm going with my answer above. They're resistance inside the First Order space.

3) Were there any old easter eggs I should look for again? I saw lots of props in the Falcon.

So. many. easter. eggs.
Some lines, some visuals, poo poo in the background. The people who made this were so fanboy it hurts. It will take someone with the home video and a lot of nerd time to get them all out there.

4) Do any of the new bridge books explain the years between trilogies better than the film did?

I doubt there's anything 'official' especially since they've completely kept this film in the dark. But hey they're making more movies!

hhhat fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 18, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BillBear posted:

Did anyone else think the random baton storm trooper owned?

He didn't have a name in the film or credits but the internet has apparently nicknames him FN-B4D455 .

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I think I convinced myself that Rey is the daughter of Leia and Han, born sometime after Ben had turned to the dark side unknown to Han. I need to watch the movie like 5 or 6 more times to help confirm that notion. :haw:

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 18, 2015

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

teagone posted:

I think I convinced myself that Rey is the daughter of Leia and Han, born sometime after Ben had turned to the dark side. I need to watch the movie like 5 or 6 more times to help confirm that notion. :haw:

also a possibility.

Yay I can talk about Star Wars again. Yay

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I'm pretty sure that whoever wrote this first wrote an algorithm to go to thesaurus.com and look up every possible obscure alternate word choice for every word in their text. Jesus Christ, and I thought I had a decent vocabulary. :v:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

teagone posted:

I think I convinced myself that Rey is the daughter of Leia and Han, born sometime after Ben had turned to the dark side. I need to watch the movie like 5 or 6 more times to help confirm that notion. :haw:

They almost certainly would have said something. It would be profoundly weird for her to go through this film and meet her father, brother, and mother, two of whom are strongly force-sensitive, and not have any of her family say a word to her.

I think the timeline goes like this: Han and Leia have Ben shortly after ROTJ. Luke and his love interest have Rey 8-10 years later. Ben shows both strong force potential and some jealousy toward Rey, which is the "too much of Vader in him" that convinced Leia to send him to train with Luke. Ben is a teenager (14-16?) when he encounters Snoke, and Snoke corrupts him, telling him that Rey has stolen his heritage and that he can reclaim his grandfather's power by destroying Luke's academy. Luke and Rey escape. Luke leaves his young (age 4-8) daughter behind on Jakku to keep her hidden and seeks out the original Jedi temple.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hhhat posted:

also a possibility.

Yay I can talk about Star Wars again. Yay

Would a "I'm your sister!" reveal in an attempt to bring Ben back to the light be too much?

Zoran posted:

They almost certainly would have said something. It would be profoundly weird for her to go through this film and meet her father, brother, and mother, two of whom are strongly force-sensitive, and not have any of her family say a word to her.

Who's to say Rey doesn't know Kylo Ren is her brother? Maybe she does know and is keeping it from him, same reason she could have been playing coy saying that Han is a smuggler when Finn brought up his Rebellion exploits. Or maybe she doesn't know that's her brother, and Leia will reveal that later to her. The reason I'm suspecting this at all is because of the exchange Rey and Leia have towards the end of the film. It's not a lot to go by, but their reaction for being supposed total strangers had a whole lot of emotion behind it.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 18, 2015

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

teagone posted:

Would a "I'm your sister!" reveal in an attempt to bring Ben back to the light be too much?

being cousins might be enough, same grandpa and all. but kylo going light side eventually like anakin seems a bit on the nose, doesn't it?

God we won't have answers until like 2019

On the other hand thank god apparently they're doing them once every 2 years instead of every 3

And we get an interstitial one next year

YAY STAR WARAS

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Poe is so cool.

I mean so is Finn and Rey but Poe gets to fly X Wings so that makes him the coolest though if the other two fly x wings oh boy... i wouldn't know.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Dear non spoiler goons, the movie is rad as gently caress. I hope you all get to see it soon.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sweet.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Siets posted:

I'm pretty sure that whoever wrote this first wrote an algorithm to go to thesaurus.com and look up every possible obscure alternate word choice for every word in their text. Jesus Christ, and I thought I had a decent vocabulary. :v:

Sam Kriss hobnobs with goons and ex-goons on twitter and has recently provoked a response from Slavoj Zizek for criticizing his refugee stance. It's quite possible that the article actually was derived from SMG's posting here.

Corek fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 18, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hhhat posted:

being cousins might be enough, same grandpa and all. but kylo going light side eventually like anakin seems a bit on the nose, doesn't it?

God we won't have answers until like 2019

On the other hand thank god apparently they're doing them once every 2 years instead of every 3

And we get an interstitial one next year

YAY STAR WARAS

The teaser for Rogue One is going to be so loving hype. Would have been gangbusters if they had a teaser ready to play before Episode VII screenings.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Having watched TFA twice in 36 hours, I can probably say at this moment it's my favourite Star War. I'm not sure what other combination of sounds and noises could have done more to satisfy the disparate groups of casual cinemagoers/kids/superfans. JJ really expertly handled telling an entertaining story - with the requisite/appropriate amount of fanservice and callbacks - while simultaneously handing the baton to the new generation of heroes.

The whole (Irish) crowd cheered when Sceilig Mhichíl appeared at the end. What a beautiful and awesome location for an ancient Jedi temple. Ep. 8 can't come soon enough.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I appreciate the style choice in making everyone on team evil loving dweeb looking losers so the audience doesn't root with them.

The General and Ren both look like some nerds you'd dunk in the toilet in high school lol

movie owned

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I watched the Force Awakens last night. I thought the dialogue was great, the new actors were great, and that the direction, action and aesthetics were all well done. Saying that, I felt taken as a whole it was arguably uninspired and lacked urgency. It also almost seemed... craven in its appeal. I think my expectations were raised too much by the really good trailers.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
One thing this movie really captures is the feeling of "weight" the original trilogy had. The prequels didn't had this, and it wasn't just because of the CGI, everything in those movies made the world felt really "light" to me.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Corek posted:

Sam Kriss hobnobs with goons and ex-goons on twitter and has recently provoked a response from Slavoj Zizek for criticizing his refugee stance. It's quite possible that the article actually was derived from SMG's posting here.

Kriss's take on Zizek's piece was dumb.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

teagone posted:

The teaser for Rogue One is going to be so loving hype. Would have been gangbusters if they had a teaser ready to play before Episode VII screenings.

Seemed like a missed opportunity to me. They have one of the biggest audiences to ever sit in a theater and watch a movie, and though many of those people will watch anything "Star Wars", some may only care about the numbered films. Something to spark interest would have been a good idea. The movie is out in a year, they should have at least a teaser they could throw together.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

zandert33 posted:

Seemed like a missed opportunity to me. They have one of the biggest audiences to ever sit in a theater and watch a movie, and though many of those people will watch anything "Star Wars", some may only care about the numbered films. Something to spark interest would have been a good idea. The movie is out in a year, they should have at least a teaser they could throw together.

Captain America:Civil War will probably do decent numbers. It's probably gonna be attached to that movie.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Gaz2k21 posted:

Saw the movie last night and my initial thought was the opening crawl was rad as hell in 3D

Yeah. I saw it on IMAX 3D (sitting a little too close, but I survived), and that seemingly mundane thing was much cooler than I would have expected.

morestuff posted:

Re: Kylo Ren. It's an interesting direction considering they're playing as much to the middle aged as kids now.

Totally agreed, and as someone who was born in 1977, grew up on Star Wars, and now has two kids, it played to me absolutely perfectly.

vegetables posted:

But then why are they still at peace after the First Order blows up the Republic's capital?

Because it's been like 12 hours or something. Give them a minute, drat.

teagone posted:

And, just spitballing here, but another thing I noticed is Rey and Leia's first meeting felt more like a reunion. Did it come off to anyone else that they already knew each other? Like maybe Rey is putting up this facade that she's an orphan and Leia is protecting her origin. I kind of felt this way the first time, but the second screening it kind of came off as if Leia and Rey were lamenting the death of their husband and father respectively. Maybe Leia was pregnant with Rey slightly before she and Han split? Leia had her sometime after, opted not to tell Han about her, and eventually left her on Jakku in order to protect her from Kylo Ren and Snoke. Or maybe Rey and Leia just had that Force connection severed from Han and were just grieving together, I don't know.

I got a similar impression, but limited to Leia knows who this girl is, or at least senses it through the Force. I think the simplest explanation is that Rey is Luke's kid.* Leia knows this, and knows the reason that she was hidden in the first place, and figures it out faster than Han because a) Force, and b) "Women always figure out the truth." Rey doesn't know or remember (or has actively repressed traumatic memories from when she was a very young child), but on some level senses a connection to her aunt for the same reasons a) and b).

* especially apply Occam's Razor because this is a J.J. Abrams joint - Cumberbatch was Khan, the island was purgatory - all the things that seemed obvious did in fact turn out to be true.

Insane Totoro posted:

Wasn't the non-human prejudice thing entirely contained within the E.U. - i.e., no longer operational? Plus, as someone else pointed out, I think Snoke is human anyway too.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I'm reminded why I never go to the theater. There was a guy sitting behind me who was commenting on stuff through out the whole movie. It was mostly saying, "Aw, poo poo," literally anytime anything even moderately exciting happened, or was introducing characters incorrectly (Keelo Ren, 3P-CO, R2-BB, Captain Fantasia), but would occassionally just turn into him narrating what was happening on screen "Oh he she force tricked him and he dropped his gun. Now she's going to escape." "R2D2 woke up, now they're bringing the map together"

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 18, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

zandert33 posted:

They have one of the biggest audiences to ever sit in a theater and watch a movie

That reminds me, I saw people complaining that their midnight session in Melbourne had over an hour of ads and previews beforehand and they didn't get out of the theatre until 3am

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

teagone posted:

Who's to say Rey doesn't know Kylo Ren is her brother? Maybe she does know and is keeping it from him, same reason she could have been playing coy saying that Han is a smuggler when Finn brought up his Rebellion exploits. Or maybe she doesn't know that's her brother, and Leia will reveal that later to her. The reason I'm suspecting this at all is because of the exchange Rey and Leia have towards the end of the film. It's not a lot to go by, but their reaction for being supposed total strangers had a whole lot of emotion behind it.

Kylo Ren obsesses over heritage. He obviously already knows who Rey is, since he gets really upset when he finds out that BB-8 was spotted with a scavenger girl on Jakku. Given that, I don't think it makes any sense for Rey to be completely unrelated; if she were just some rando, then Kylo wouldn't care about her. And it's possible that she's his little sister, but then I think it's hard to see why he hates her so much. If Ben aspired to take on the family legacy, then why does a little sister threaten that?

But the cousin angle makes Rey a huge threat to Ben's birthright. She's the heir not just of Anakin but of Luke himself, greatest Jedi in the galaxy.

The Rey & Leia scene still makes sense if it's niece & aunt. There's a hint that Han might've suspected something, since Maz asks him, "Who's the girl?" right before we cut away. So if Leia had her suspicions as well, it's easier to see why she sent Luke's daughter to bring him back from exile instead of just going herself.

Plus R2 only activates when Rey arrives at the Resistance base for the first time.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

mr.capps posted:

One thing this movie really captures is the feeling of "weight" the original trilogy had. The prequels didn't had this, and it wasn't just because of the CGI, everything in those movies made the world felt really "light" to me.

I agree, but only in an aesthetic sense. For example, the lightsabers are no longer twirled around like batons, technology and designs are heavier and more "old school" looking. But I think that's where it ends. The New Order just seemed like a new bad guy of the week that was similarly dealt with.

I think I would've liked the movie better if:
- Kylo Ren was the victor and remained intimidating throughout
- The planet killer base wasn't so easily dealt with, e.g. more difficult to infiltrate/sabotage with the rebels only able to disable the gun buying themselves some time as opposed to blowing up the whole thing
- Snoke was positioned as more of a sinister force behind the curtain

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Gamerofthegame posted:

I appreciate the style choice in making everyone on team evil loving dweeb looking losers so the audience doesn't root with them.

The General and Ren both look like some nerds you'd dunk in the toilet in high school lol

movie owned
Kylo Ren may not yet be as powerful as Darth Vader, but he's still fairly badass. It took the combined efforts of Chewie, Finn, and Rey to beat him, and Snoke is now going to train him further. And the other "dweeb losers" blew up three Republic worlds with a superweapon more badass than the Death Star.

And what of the Republic? Luke is moping on some deserted planet instead of dealing with his rogue apprentice. The First Order managed to build this colossal superweapon and the Republic and the Resistance didn't know about it, which is a massive intelligence failure (what happened to all those wonderful Bothan spies)?

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 18, 2015

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fish Of Doom posted:

I'm reminded why I never go to the theater. There was a guy sitting behind me who was commenting on stuff through out the whole movie. It was mostly saying, "Aw, poo poo," literally anytime anything even moderately exciting happened, or was introducing characters incorrectly (Keelo Ren, 3P-CO, R2-BB, Captain Fantasia), but would occassionally just turn into him narrating what was happening on screen "Oh he she force tricked him and he dropped his gun. Now she's going to escape." "R2D2 woke up, now they're bringing the map together"

It appears you had the misfortune of sitting in front of Dr Steve Brule

e: fix your spoiler tags numbnuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Zoran posted:

But the cousin angle makes Rey a huge threat to Ben's birthright. She's the heir not just of Anakin but of Luke himself, greatest Jedi in the galaxy.

The Rey & Leia scene still makes sense if it's niece & aunt. There's a hint that Han might've suspected something, since Maz asks him, "Who's the girl?" right before we cut away. So if Leia had her suspicions as well, it's easier to see why she sent Luke's daughter to bring him back from exile instead of just going herself.

Plus R2 only activates when Rey arrives at the Resistance base for the first time.

Yeah, this is the Occam's Razor application I mentioned a few posts up - the movie clearly points us in that direction and while it doesn't mean there couldn't be a twist, it has to be by far the odds-on favorite theory. Plus, it definitely fits in with Luke's reaction to seeing her at the end and his total loss of words (until about 4 seconds into Episode 8, anyway).

• Locked thread