Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

I know cross-posting from Paradoxplatz is getting old hat, but I finally ventured down the stairs tonight to see for myself and :stare:

Paradox Plaza posted:

One of my guiding principles in life is, "There is no problem that can not be solved by genocide." It is an ugly truth, intentionally juxtaposing sterile terminology with crimes against humanity. War, force, call it what you want. Violence is always an answer.

If you are choosing to deny that, you will and should be forced to accept it by competing powers. You may win the wars against your rivals, you may allow yourself to be destroyed to protect your ideals, but inexorably the fundamental violence of the universe will consume and destroy you in the never ending fluctuations of energy.

The peaceful path is the expensive option, even if it does pay off more overall. The benefits should make it the more desirable path, but also the more demanding. You will have to protect your pre-FTL cultures, you will have to budget for your investments, and you will have to convince your rivals that cooperation is the safer option, despite being the harder one. Or your enemies will teach that war, and life, is cheap.

"The peaceful path is the expensive option, even if I semantically refute that in the very next clause of my sentence."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Kavak posted:

I think what's happening is that the Neva is on the map as a terrain feature, but since the city straddles it, it's technically in both provinces north and south of the delta. I can see buildings in the province just north of it.

This is true. The issue is that the mouth of the Neva is much too far south, and they chose to put the pip for Leningrad even more to the South of that, making it look quite off. It's not a major issue but it is funny considering that Stalingrad was off (by an order of magnitude more) last time.

MilkmanLuke posted:

I honestly don't see what you guys are saying about Leningrad. It looks like it's placed slightly south to the degree that would matter exactly zero on a strategic scale.
Technically there is a small issue, as by having the city sit completely within the isthmus you should be able to sit in it and have the city only be attacked from one side from each direction. As it is now, sitting slightly outside of it, you can attack it from 3 directions without needing to pass any choke-points.

What I'm saying is that I'm cancelling my preorders for HoI 4 through 6.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wooper posted:

No nation actually moved its troops at all.

Imagine

HOI4 is a pacifist statement in favor of world peace.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gort posted:

I'm a little worried by that last World War Wednesday actually. Germany declared war on Poland and didn't do anything. Neither side's divisions moved for like a year. (then the player quit)

Later, Finland conquered Moscow on their own.

AI tends to break frequently when being actively worked on, don't fret over it.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Wiz posted:

AI tends to break frequently when being actively worked on, don't fret over it.

Don't mind the man behind the curtain.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

This is true. The issue is that the mouth of the Neva is much too far south, and they chose to put the pip for Leningrad even more to the South of that, making it look quite off.

It doesn't look that far off. I think the issue is that the river texture is huge, making it look farther south than it actually is.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
It's also because we put all rivers between provinces, so it'll always be clear when you gotta cross a river, which can make cites which straddle a river seem out of place. Still, maybe it could be tweaked.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
The HOI4 stream was accidentally using a build with the military AI disabled, so that would be why it was being passive.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Manket posted:

I know cross-posting from Paradoxplatz is getting old hat, but I finally ventured down the stairs tonight to see for myself and :stare:

"The peaceful path is the expensive option, even if I semantically refute that in the very next clause of my sentence."

Oh look, someone read Starship Troopers.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Manket posted:

? He's clearly saying that the peaceful path is an investment. Better in the long run, but harder in the moment.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Wiz posted:

The HOI4 stream was accidentally using a build with the military AI disabled, so that would be why it was being passive.

Peace in our time!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Wiz posted:

I did feel for the player when the guy taking questions said, "OK, show us the state of the world" when from occasional panning about it was clear nothing had happened at all.

So how come the USSR troops still moved about? Human intervention?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gort posted:

I did feel for the player when the guy taking questions said, "OK, show us the state of the world" when from occasional panning about it was clear nothing had happened at all.

So how come the USSR troops still moved about? Human intervention?

They were probably just trying to get back to their default frontline.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
That makes sense. Thanks for piping up, was worried we had a World in Flames in the making :)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Wiz posted:

As bad as that sounds, it's little things like this that makes me love this company. It shows you guys are still human.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
And despite that Finland was still *slowly* losing with their fascist supersoldiers and a crippled mid-purge Russia. I wouldn't worry about Finland blobbing out of control anytime soon.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Schizotek posted:

And despite that Finland was still *slowly* losing with their fascist supersoldiers and a crippled mid-purge Russia. I wouldn't worry about Finland blobbing out of control anytime soon.

The guy wasn't playing anything close to optimally, I don't think. Set up his units for a defensive war, then went on the offensive. Only set up his battleplans (and began building new divisions) after he declared war. Built a bunch of artillery, but didn't add it to the division template until he was losing. Went deep into fighter tech/doctrine but never built any fighters. Didn't actually encircle St Petersberg. Etc. Yes, I am critiquing this based on exactly zero hours experience with the game. :colbert:

I did think it was funny that Finland could double its IC in the space of two years, though.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Autonomous Monster posted:

I did think it was funny that Finland could double its IC in the space of two years, though.

I'm not 100% opposed to some nerfed version of this this because playing minors is so satisfying in HoI. Holding off the Reds as Finland, creating a Mexican Empire in the Caribbean, that sort of thing.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I'm gonna waste so much time trying to create a glorious Tannu Tuva Empire.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

It's also because we put all rivers between provinces, so it'll always be clear when you gotta cross a river, which can make cites which straddle a river seem out of place. Still, maybe it could be tweaked.

So without knowing more about how combat works this is guesswork but the whole thing about Leningrad being hard to take was that it it on the isthmus and with a river flowing through and beneath it, so the only way to take it once there were forces dug in around it was a frontal assault. From the screenshot it looks suspiciously like the Germans can pull off a multiple province envelopment and leverage the combat bonus you get in all HOI games from attacking from multiple directions to take the city much easier. That's the eyebrow raiser.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

As bad as that sounds, it's little things like this that makes me love this company. It shows you guys are still human.

That's not particularly bad. Dev builds come in all states of readiness. Software isn't a teleological process from broken->working. It depends on your delivery model. Some teams say that you should never commit broken / disabled code to a development release, but others reserve that cutoff for public releases.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Look we need Leningrad perfect so we can emulate full Hitler sieges just for the sake of starvation.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Manket posted:

This makes me wish there was a random AI option, where 1% of the time the galaxy was just extremely peaceful, and the other powers teamed up to annihilate the player the second they start wars or genocides or whatever.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Alchenar posted:

So without knowing more about how combat works this is guesswork but the whole thing about Leningrad being hard to take was that it it on the isthmus and with a river flowing through and beneath it, so the only way to take it once there were forces dug in around it was a frontal assault. From the screenshot it looks suspiciously like the Germans can pull off a multiple province envelopment and leverage the combat bonus you get in all HOI games from attacking from multiple directions to take the city much easier. That's the eyebrow raiser.

Would this do what you want it to?

So you've got multiple Nevas, one on both sides of the city, and if the Germans want to envelopment it they have to cross to Finland and come at it from the north? Which probably won't be a problem for them, but I'm not sure what else you could do to make it unenvelopable. Maybe add a little promontory there, stick the city on that, and give it only one adjacent province? Hmm. The geography's not really set up to support that at this scale.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

This makes me wish there was a random AI option, where 1% of the time the galaxy was just extremely peaceful, and the other powers teamed up to annihilate the player the second they start wars or genocides or whatever.

I get the feeling, or at least I hope, that this might be what the devs have in mind for the late-game "empire management" portion of the game. Maybe, whichever culture is the space pope/space HRE/God-Emperor gets to impose the ethics it chose at the outset on the rest of the galaxy. Warlike emperor? Open season, back-stabbing galore, probably lots of stealing tech, genocide is every Wednesday. Peaceful emperor? Everybody trade and play nice, but the Lansraad will end you if you orbital bombard a primitive culture or something like that.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

So you've got multiple Nevas, one on both sides of the city, and if the Germans want to envelopment it they have to cross to Finland and come at it from the north? Which probably won't be a problem for them, but I'm not sure what else you could do to make it unenvelopable. Maybe add a little promontory there, stick the city on that, and give it only one adjacent province? Hmm. The geography's not really set up to support that at this scale.
Alternative solutions would be some province borders into the Leningrad province being impassable (which would be weird), or a province modifier which removes any bonuses from envelopment against defenders in the city. The latter could be used in other places too, if appropriate, though obviously such exceptions to regular gameplay should be few and far between, so as to not make it so the player feels like they can't keep track of where they can envelop and where they can't. A little icon above the city would probably help too in that case.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The guy wasn't playing anything close to optimally, I don't think. Set up his units for a defensive war, then went on the offensive. Only set up his battleplans (and began building new divisions) after he declared war. Built a bunch of artillery, but didn't add it to the division template until he was losing. Went deep into fighter tech/doctrine but never built any fighters. Didn't actually encircle St Petersberg. Etc. Yes, I am critiquing this based on exactly zero hours experience with the game. :colbert:

That's obviously just the Spirit of the Winter War event. :finland:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Submarine dev diary is up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are we going to get one more stellaris diary before holidays?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Alternative solutions would be some province borders into the Leningrad province being impassable (which would be weird), or a province modifier which removes any bonuses from envelopment against defenders in the city. The latter could be used in other places too, if appropriate, though obviously such exceptions to regular gameplay should be few and far between, so as to not make it so the player feels like they can't keep track of where they can envelop and where they can't. A little icon above the city would probably help too in that case.
I thought some of the new supply system and city stuff already allow for stalled sieges and rescuable pockets. Like envelopment is not an instant decapitation in a city anymore because there's a degree of scavenged equipment and defender favoring bonuses.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Wiz is tweeting Victoria 2 fixes and tweaks right now~

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Not to be a Vicky 2 economy apologist, but it was always the influence management minigame that really repelled me from playing it, not the hilarious market.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

this is a nice change, so is right-clicking a country on the map for diplomacy

thanks wiz, i probably play more vic2 than any other pdox game

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

This might have been posted before, but fuckit:

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Now it just needs integrated @dril tweets to be perfect

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/677931688303976449

Oh my loving god it finally happened. FINALLY.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Stop building Skynet, Paradox :argh:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

TheMcD posted:

Y'know, historically Paradox has done one final big bug patch on a title before they finish with it forever...because they're starting on the sequel.

Just saying... I called it in the last thread with EU3 too... :shobon:

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

TheMcD posted:

:boom:

I'm guessing this won't make it by christmas, but i'll consider it a christmas gift anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Y'know, historically Paradox has done one final big bug patch on a title before they finish with it forever...because they're starting on the sequel.

Just saying... I called it in the last thread with EU3 too... :shobon:

On the other hand, this does seem likely to be a "Last week/day of work: Lets patch Vicky 2!" thing, more spontaneous/giving devs an opportunity to not stagnate in their own projects for a bit. Either way, I can't wait, for the crisis stuff alone.