Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I reinstalled E:D now that horizons is out and noticed something seems really wrong.. I last played right around the time Powerplay launched, I have a kitted out vulture for combat missions and conflict zones and a long range asp with very strong shields for doing hauling and occasional interdictions.

I jumped in my Asp, undocked, flew around in supercruise and saw a wing of eagles with the 'wanted' tag. So, I did what I had done many times before, I interdicted one and started the warrant scan. While the scan was running, he opened fire on me and as I had done dozens of times before in my Asp; I deployed two medium pulse lasers and four medium multi cannons (and this seemed less effective than I remember). Eagles are generally too small and maneuverable to bother with targeting hardpoints, so I put as much damage on him as possible before his buddies jumped in, I must have hit thrusters because he went into a slow spin right as the two other eagles started shooting at me.

Last I played, I could easily take on three eagles, I did it all the time in conflict zones, interdictions and resource collection areas, I regularly would swat down a couple eagles or cobras and then move on to an anaconda or take on almost endless streams of small ships, but something changed. They chewed through my shields almost instantly. I was taking hull damage before I could even get through the shields of the second eagle and had to jump out with only one kill.

Was there a major rebalancing of shields and weapon damage recently? I feel like my weapon loadout was much less effective than it used to be, possibly because I had to be much more evasive and couldn't just ignore their shots, and my shields were made of paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dongattack posted:

Didn't see this post until now. Um, any money making tips then?

If you can wait a bit for the money to come in, sign up for the CGs running now. Just do a little bit to get counted, then let others do the work. You won't get much, but depending on how crazy other people are going, you can at least expect 1-2 million credits if you sign up for all of them.

If you only do the ones you like, you may even get more depending on how much you do. CGs are always a nice boost for beginners, if they're succesful: Even the lowest payout will be multiple times of what you have now.

Inara has a list of which ones are running now.

The trading community goal is probably the hardest to do for you right now, since large cargo space is needed if you want to see more then the lowest tier. If you want to shoot something, there are two CGs running for that.

Personally, the rare trading one is probably the best for some beginner's money, since you make about 100k credits per 12t of cargo every time you sell in Hel. Ideal for small and cheap ships!

Just remember (because people sometimes just forget): Sign up at the station before handing in bounty vouchers/selling stuff. Or it won't count.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Arrath posted:

So last night I landed on my first planet and tooled around in the SRV for a while then went back to my ship and called it a night. Logging in this morning I can't launch my ship from the surface, the prompt to start the engines/launch isn't right there between my artificial horizon like it was when I first landed and the button does nothing. I've tried getting back in my SRV and driving around a bit before loading back up, still can't. Tried the ship repair/reboot, nothing.

Do I have to suicide? What's the deal here?

This sounds like a bug I had in beta. Check your thrusters are online. It's also possible they they'll online and still do nothing, in which case restart the game

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Cowcaster posted:

Can you mess with HUD colors from in game or does it require .ini tweaking?

Requires ini tweaks, but this is helpful for ballparking things. Pro-tips: the values in the ini can go from -2 to 2 (-200 to 200 on the sliders for the web-thingy), so don't limit yourself to the default.

Do you need a cargo bay to collect space goop for making fuel boosts/ammo/truck gas, or is having the vehicle hangar enough. The longer version of my questions would be, is this a viable DBE build which will let me land on planets and collect rocks to make gogo-juice? It's essentially the same thing I am running now, but with A-thrusters and the vehicle hangar instead of an extra gas tank.

Also, what is the difference in the H and G versions of the hangar? Is it just mass/power draw?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Mission accomplished :toot:

Now I wish I'd bought-in on Black Friday...oh well, surely they'll drop it again next year!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

This sounds like a bug I had in beta. Check your thrusters are online. It's also possible they they'll online and still do nothing, in which case restart the game

Figured it out, the launch button is vertical thrust up, not Joy 1 or 8 as the HUD message was telling me last night for some reason :eng99:

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

My understanding is that the time frame they give you is like a literal clock time in Galactic Standard Time, which I'm pretty sure is just GMT. You can see a time readout on your dash while you're docked, and I'm not sure how to get that clock otherwise besides "open a GMT clock in the other monitor". So when it gives you a target system and a time frame of 23:45-23:51, they don't mean it's gonna be 23 minutes from now. They mean your dude will literally spawn in between the times of 23:45 and 23:51 GMT.

I guess I'm just an idiot because I don't remember seeing a range of time in the mission prompt, I'll have to check next time I see one on the bulletin board

Also apparently hostage rescue missions are all broken: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3x8wuf/til_that_hostage_missions_are_broken_and_have/

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Libluini posted:

If you can wait a bit for the money to come in, sign up for the CGs running now. Just do a little bit to get counted, then let others do the work. You won't get much, but depending on how crazy other people are going, you can at least expect 1-2 million credits if you sign up for all of them.

If you only do the ones you like, you may even get more depending on how much you do. CGs are always a nice boost for beginners, if they're successful: Even the lowest payout will be multiple times of what you have now.

Inara has a list of which ones are running now.

The trading community goal is probably the hardest to do for you right now, since large cargo space is needed if you want to see more then the lowest tier. If you want to shoot something, there are two CGs running for that.

Personally, the rare trading one is probably the best for some beginner's money, since you make about 100k credits per 12t of cargo every time you sell in Hel. Ideal for small and cheap ships!

Just remember (because people sometimes just forget): Sign up at the station before handing in bounty vouchers/selling stuff. Or it won't count.

Cheeers, gonna try some trading. Combat was really unfun. I gotta say that it feels kinda frustrating to have to do combat/trading grinding just so i can do some basic exploration.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I apologize if I missed this, just crunched for time so I cannot go through the last 30 pages right now.

Is there a downside to buying Horizons through Steam? It works out a little less from me (after I convert :canada: ) to do it via steam that the Frontier store.

I already have the steam key for the main game, I've just never installed it/played it through steam before.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ah crap I appear to have lost my ship while gallivanting around the surface. Time to search fruitlessly until I run out of fuel or air!

Ed oh cool I can summon my ship like its the fuckin batmobile.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 18, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, your ship automatically departs into orbit if you drive more than 2 kilometers away from it.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Arrath posted:

Ah crap I appear to have lost my ship while gallivanting around the surface. Time to search fruitlessly until I run out of fuel or air!

Press L to make tearful recordings to all your loved ones

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house
Just got blown up by a PC pirate hauling snowballs at Hel - it was a mission getting there in my lovely hauler. It's space Christmas, you bastard!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Arrath posted:

Press F to pay respects :911:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

atal posted:

Just got blown up by a PC pirate hauling snowballs at Hel - it was a mission getting there in my lovely hauler. It's space Christmas, you bastard!

Merry Christmas, I got you some missiles! Batteries included!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

Press F to pay respects :911:

F

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Bushiz posted:

That had to cost a shitload but putting an advertisement for a spacegame in front of every nerd in the western world when they are at peak space nostalgia is probably the best investment they could have possibly made.

e: does anyone have a primo bugfuck crazy anaconda exploration fit? I'm looking for something that's completely self sustaining and set up for planetary exploration for that sweet, sweet FSD booster.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda/04A7D6A5D1D8D5C----------------3jv2v2v24d0t0t--2i2f.Iw18WAMPLpA=.Aw18ZlA=?bn=Esplor

Here's what mine looks like right now.

3 vehicle hangars for a combined total of 12 SRVs, in case I break one. Shields to absorb the impact of my ship touching down and a 7C fuel scoop because it save 86 million credits at the cost of a whopping 10 extra seconds to fill the tank compared to an A grade scoop.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Goliath drones are more powerful than I expected. I barely escaped with my life in A graded Viper Mk 4

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sekenr posted:

Goliath drones are more powerful than I expected. I barely escaped with my life in A graded Viper Mk 4

Same with base turrets :saddowns:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Astroniomix posted:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda/04A7D6A5D1D8D5C----------------3jv2v2v24d0t0t--2i2f.Iw18WAMPLpA=.Aw18ZlA=?bn=Esplor

Here's what mine looks like right now.

3 vehicle hangars for a combined total of 12 SRVs, in case I break one. Shields to absorb the impact of my ship touching down and a 7C fuel scoop because it save 86 million credits at the cost of a whopping 10 extra seconds to fill the tank compared to an A grade scoop.

This is what I'm looking for. I want something that can make the previously impossible jumps in the outer part of the galaxy by boosting the FSD

how do the weak thrusters get by on high gravity worlds?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Bushiz posted:

About like this http://youtu.be/WDebwFrQdeU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Well, just had my first hauler experience. Jumped a a lot and at some point hosed something up and had to spend 20 minutes in supercruise, that was pretty harsh on my mellow and i almost took to the forums to shitpost in a furious frenzy. But i'm not gonna lie, when i eventually got there, skimmed the "atmosphere" of the moon over the poles and into the night side of the moon as some really good Lindsey Stirling came on my spotify playlist and i roaringly set my hauler down on the mining base i felt like it was pretty worth it.

My next mission i must have smuggled performance enhancers i think, but it was np cause i'm a bitch and a half at docking my minuscule and pathetic ship into loose and gyrating holes, would be nice if it actually mentioned that "hey this is illegal" tho.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Hah! This achenar planet is the next Hudson Orbital except kind of more evil. Although a saw a video by a dude who landed a Cutter there, but had to boost upwards several times

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

So I can just delete all the miscellaneous beta folders on my hard drive without losing my sweet as gently caress black skins or anything like that?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Bushiz posted:

This is what I'm looking for. I want something that can make the previously impossible jumps in the outer part of the galaxy by boosting the FSD

There's a reason I'm using 7D thrusters and shields instead of the usual 5D, but still check the planet's mass before landing, I would avoid anything over 2g.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SciFiDownBeat posted:

So I can just delete all the miscellaneous beta folders on my hard drive without losing my sweet as gently caress black skins or anything like that?

You could reformat your drive and you wouldn't lose skins. They keep track of that stuff server-side.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sekenr posted:

Hah! This achenar planet is the next Hudson Orbital except kind of more evil. Although a saw a video by a dude who landed a Cutter there, but had to boost upwards several times

I landed there with a Cobra III and the upshot is "it's not too bad if you take it very, very slow". The problem, such as it is, is that with FA on your thrusters are keeping you roughly in place at, say, 80% output. Then you tap "go down", your bottom thrusters turn off and your top thrusters turn on, and even if that only happens for a split second, it takes a good 10-20 seconds for your bottom thrusters at 100% to get you back to neutral.

Naturally, if your thrusters can't overcome the gravity for your ship weight you're just flat hosed, so I wouldn't recommend showing up without As.

e: Also I would say try it at least once because once you're in an SRV, you're loving glued to the ground for the most part. (That said, a 5 foot drop will ding like 5% of your hull off, so don't go running off of cliffs)

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 18, 2015

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Is it possible to just buy the materials for FSD boost or do you have to mine them?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Luneshot posted:

Is it possible to just buy the materials for FSD boost or do you have to mine them?

Currently you have to find it yourself. There is possibly a way to trade/sell between players coming with/after the larger crafting update though. They have expressed the intention to get a player economy going with this stuff.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Luneshot posted:

You keep materials in your pockets, and you're glued to your ship chair, so you can't actually get out of your ship so that someone with the materials can put them in your pocket. It's a drat shame all around.

(No, you have to mine them. :frontear:)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Press L to make tearful recordings to all your loved ones

Pressing X to pay my respects

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Are rare trades, and the loop in the OP still a solid way to make moolah or did that all get nerfed to hell? I haven't played in a while.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

Are rare trades, and the loop in the OP still a solid way to make moolah or did that all get nerfed to hell? I haven't played in a while.

Rare loops are still a solid method, though any particular route or rare spawn may have changed with the update. Xihe still sells the companion robot things, I know that much.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sard posted:

eddb.io can help point you towards the right systems. Probably. You should get at least a few million credits though, so you can buy an advanced scanner and a good frameshift drive.

Any rock is fine, just prospect first. It's best to mine from the spin axis pole so that the rock is less likely to cream your collectors.

I imagine Frontiers offices are just a cacaphony of high-fives this morning.

Can you prospect in some way other than buying a prospecting drone controller? I already have a collector drone controller but my Hauler is strangely short on internals for the task. (Don't really remember what I had fitted, I'm at work, but I was being cheap, I know that much.)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

Rare trades are fine. Most stuff pays well nowadays. Every now and then there is a hot new trick or exploit, but in general you can do the stuff you enjoy in the game and make reasonable money.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Can you prospect in some way other than buying a prospecting drone controller? I already have a collector drone controller but my Hauler is strangely short on internals for the task. (Don't really remember what I had fitted, I'm at work, but I was being cheap, I know that much.)

Before prospector limpets, you'd have to shoot off a piece of rock and see what it was. If you don't have collectors deployed, then just target the chunk. If you have collectors deployed, then let them bring it to your refinery and you can see what it is.

Don't do the targeting method if you have collectors deployed, as doing so will make your collector retrieve the chunk and then self-destruct. This is an intentional feature of collectors.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Speaking of rare items, surface settlements are identical to space ones beyond being on the ground, right? So each and every one could potentially spawn rares?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
What's the easiest way to get large amounts of phosphorus? Googlefu is still weak on this sort of thing. Get cracking, min/maxers!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

slidebite posted:

I apologize if I missed this, just crunched for time so I cannot go through the last 30 pages right now.

Is there a downside to buying Horizons through Steam? It works out a little less from me (after I convert :canada: ) to do it via steam that the Frontier store.

I already have the steam key for the main game, I've just never installed it/played it through steam before.
Anyone? I presume it makes no difference?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

slidebite posted:

Anyone? I presume it makes no difference?

It's the same, yeah. You still log into the Steam version launcher using your Frontier Account, and any Cosmetic poo poo you buy from Frontier's store gets added because it's part of your Frontier Account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Toadsmash posted:

What's the easiest way to get large amounts of phosphorus? Googlefu is still weak on this sort of thing. Get cracking, min/maxers!

Time.

• Locked thread