Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Whoever suggested talcum powder as an additive to superglue (maybe Z the IVth?), thank you. I've been sifting a small bit of talcum powder on top of less-than-perfect joins just after gluing them together, and it seems to be producing a sturdier join.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

SRM I'm loving your Orks too - what's your recipe for the green?
Thanks! The skin is simple. It's WAAAGH! Flesh, Nuln Oil wash, another layer of WAAAGH! Flesh leaving the wash in the recesses, then Warboss Green and a final highlight of Skarsnik Green.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Whoever suggested talcum powder as an additive to superglue (maybe Z the IVth?), thank you. I've been sifting a small bit of talcum powder on top of less-than-perfect joins just after gluing them together, and it seems to be producing a sturdier join.

Let me get this straight:
- you put a droplet of superglue on the miniature;
- you disperse some talcum powder on it;
- you attach the limb/head/wathever

And that's it, right? What kind of superglue are you using? The classic fast drying one (about 10s)?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

During a painting session over the summer, I decided to experiment with thinning my paints using acrylic flow release and nothing else, which basically gave me a tinted soap. Months later, the sections I thinned that way are still not completely dry; they're very glossy and a little tacky to the touch but the models have just been sitting on my shelf in hopes that chemistry would do me a solid and dry them out completely. I want to actually finish the models but I'd rather not strip them down and start fresh. I worry about just painting over the soap for fear of it sloughing off, I've considered putting some Pledge floor sealer or Dullcote on and finishing over that, but I have the same fear of it not taking. Any advice?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

That Italian Guy posted:

And that's it, right? What kind of superglue are you using? The classic fast drying one (about 10s)?

No, reverse it.

Fill gap with talcum powder. Then drop thin superglue into it. The talcum powder helps give body to the glue.

Alternatively mix thick/medium superglue wth talcum powder into paste and use that like putty. Dries faster and sturdier than any of the other paste-like fillers. The Japanese actually make a commercial product which is similar - tiny glass beads mixed with superglue.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Z the IVth posted:

No, reverse it.

Fill gap with talcum powder. Then drop thin superglue into it. The talcum powder helps give body to the glue.

Alternatively mix thick/medium superglue wth talcum powder into paste and use that like putty. Dries faster and sturdier than any of the other paste-like fillers. The Japanese actually make a commercial product which is similar - tiny glass beads mixed with superglue.

Haven't done it myself, but I have heard/seen good things https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yY17r-hOlM

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Indolent Bastard posted:

Haven't done it myself, but I have heard/seen good things https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yY17r-hOlM

I've been flogging the technique in this thread for ages but only Avenging Dentist seems to have given it a go. :smith:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Z the IVth posted:

I've been flogging the technique in this thread for ages but only Avenging Dentist seems to have given it a go. :smith:

I'm going to give this a go in the January group build.

Just need to acquire more guns...

Anyone got any spares?

e: Whoops, thought this was the scale modeling thread.

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 18, 2015

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Z the IVth posted:

I think I've also heard of people using baking soda for this?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

That Italian Guy posted:

I use Loctite Professional for 90% of my joins, and Loctite Gel Control for the remainder. Usually I just use the latter if the piece is extra-fiddly and I'm having a hard time lining them up quickly enough to keep the Loctite Pro from drying out.

I do one of two things (note that all my joins are pinned):

Version 1 (for pinholes that are loose-fitting)
  1. Glue a pin in one piece, test the fit, make modifications as needed
  2. Put some talcum powder in the pinhole
  3. Put superglue on the piece with the pin, making sure some is on the pin itself
  4. Attach the pieces and hold for however long it takes to set
Version 2 (for joins that will need a fair bit of gap-filling later)
  1. Glue a pin in one piece, test the fit, make modifications as needed
  2. Put superglue on the piece with the pin, making sure some is on the pin itself
  3. Attach the pieces and hold for a few seconds
  4. Put some talcum powder on the end of one of my metal sculpting tools and disperse it over the join; this usually gets into the glue at the very edges of the seam
  5. Wait a minute or so and then use a lovely brush to brush off the excess powder

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 18, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

rantmo posted:

During a painting session over the summer, I decided to experiment with thinning my paints using acrylic flow release and nothing else, which basically gave me a tinted soap. Months later, the sections I thinned that way are still not completely dry; they're very glossy and a little tacky to the touch but the models have just been sitting on my shelf in hopes that chemistry would do me a solid and dry them out completely. I want to actually finish the models but I'd rather not strip them down and start fresh. I worry about just painting over the soap for fear of it sloughing off, I've considered putting some Pledge floor sealer or Dullcote on and finishing over that, but I have the same fear of it not taking. Any advice?

Acrylic flow release is meant to be mixed in like a 1:100 ratio with paint/water. The instructions on the back of my Golden Flow Release say one ounce per gallon, which is 1:128. I typically add a tiny drop to a large amount of paint when I want it to get a little slicker and act more like a glaze or ink... I also usually add quite a bit of water at the same time.

You used way way way too much and I don't think it's going to work out. You will probably have to strip that stuff out, or at least wash in water and repaint.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Two days ago I was cleaning minor mold lines on a resin model using an xacto chisel. It slipped and sliced the tip of my thumb nearly off. Blood squirting everywhere I ran into the kitchen to disinfect, apply pressure, and keep the bleeding to the sink. I broke out in a cold sweat and suddenly I had no idea what was going on because nothing made sense I was cold and alone. I was about to panic when I woke up on my tile floor, room spinning, blood everywhere. Later I learned I'd also given myself a minor concussion and hurt my left elbow.

I've hobbied for over 10 years and I have never hurt myself before.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 19, 2015

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

BULBASAUR posted:

Two days ago I was cleaning minor mold lines on a resin model using an xacto chisel. It slipped and sliced the tip of my thumb nearly off. Blood squirting everywhere I ran into the kitchen to disinfect, apply pressure, and keep the bleeding to the sink. I broke out in a cold sweat and suddenly I had no idea what was going on because nothing made sense I was cold and alone. I was about to panic when I woke up on my tile floor, room spinning, blood everywhere. Later I learned I'd also given myself a minor concussion and hurt my left elbow.

This kind of story is the true origin of "Blood for the Blood God."

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Yikes. Well. We've all known, based on your work that you've been pushing yourself too hard. Nobody can apply pigments and weathering like that, month after month, without hobbying more recklessly and getting exhausted.

Get some bed rest. Don't do any hobbies--try working overtime at your job or just digging trenches in the back yard if you need to let off steam. Give your body a chance to recover before you start any squads. Maybe consider limiting yourself to one vehicle or special character a year.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

New WIP. This time survivors. Allister is almost done. Zachary needs some more red tones to the highlights, and Lucy is making some OK progress. Not totally happy with the skin tone.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Wow, this is really good. Can you share your process?

BULBASAUR posted:

lol

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Hixson posted:

Wow, this is really good. Can you share your process?

All the flesh tones are done using the Scale 75 Flesh Tones set and Unnatural Flesh tones set.

Initially the model is primed, black to white, in a zenithal manner to achieve preshading, using an airbrush.

Then Scale 75 Golden Skin is used as the base colour, with Pale Skin airbrushed on as a highlight. Basic Flesh is also used, spraying in a upward manner to give some shadow.

With the base coating done, stronger shades are achieved using washes of Braineater Azure. This helps cool the flesh tones, and provide shadow. Highlights and glazes of the previous colours are used to help the blending, and to push the contrasts.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

BULBASAUR posted:

Three days had gone by. The blood... it wasn't yours.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The moral of the story is that if you must ham, ham responsibly

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

BULBASAUR posted:

The moral of the story is keep the fleshy bits away from the pointy bits at all times.

I mean, no ham ever does, but, you know, it bears repeating anyway.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

BULBASAUR posted:

This is loving hardcore.

I started on the ruined Imperial industrial type base last night. It looks dark at the minute but I'm going to lighten the brown, add some pigments and some silfor tufts once the varnish has gone on.

Only really that and the helmet to do now

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

big_g posted:

This is loving hardcore.

I started on the ruined Imperial industrial type base last night. It looks dark at the minute but I'm going to lighten the brown, add some pigments and some silfor tufts once the varnish has gone on.

Only really that and the helmet to do now

I hope you don't mind me saying this, as your painting is awesome, but IMHO the base could do with a little tweaking.

I think you need some 'in-between' sized bits of debris to blend the bigger pieces into the base. As it stands the ruins on top don't seem to have any weight and look like they've just been placed there. Its a little late to try the alternative, which would be to spread a little putty over the base and sinking the debris into that.

BULBASAUR posted:

To be quite honest it wasn't blood loss that did you in (you wouldn't have woken up if you had gone into shock). Vasovagal syncope to blood is an unfortunate thing to discover when all alone. Can happen to anyone, and sometimes its only in response to your own blood.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 19, 2015

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I want to try zenethial priming on my next batch of guys, but I don't have an airbrush. Are there sufficiently high quality primer rattlecans available at a hardware store, or am I going to have to suck it up and buy the fancy modeling junk to avoid spraypaint grit?

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

I want to try zenethial priming on my next batch of guys, but I don't have an airbrush. Are there sufficiently high quality primer rattlecans available at a hardware store, or am I going to have to suck it up and buy the fancy modeling junk to avoid spraypaint grit?

In the past I have done zenithal using Vallejo spray can primers. I don't trust the other brands.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Z the IVth posted:

I hope you don't mind me saying this, as your painting is awesome, but IMHO the base could do with a little tweaking.

I think you need some 'in-between' sized bits of debris to blend the bigger pieces into the base. As it stands the ruins on top don't seem to have any weight and look like they've just been placed there. Its a little late to try the alternative, which would be to spread a little putty over the base and sinking the debris into that.

Thanks for the comment. I know what you mean...the base never came together as I envisioned it. Part of the fun in modelling is fixing things though. Good advice with adding smaller pieces of rubble I'll probably try that tonight. I do think the extra colours of the pigments and tufts will help as well.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted some Cephalyx Warmachine mandollies. It's a new army for me, so I'm still figuring them out. The Agitator (yellow solo dude) looks so much better in person. I suck at the pictures.

Edit: the blue Trollblood monstrosity is a conversion using leftover parts from my main army. Here's the original studio version:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

uuuuuuurrrrraaaaaaaagggggg

GGRRRRRRRRAHHHHHHHHHH

infinity croc man hacker

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Finished some models and started some more.

More minis started.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

dr_ether posted:

Finished some models and started some more.

More minis started.

You have the nicest Phoenix and Watcher that I have seen, your technique and colour selection is impeccable.

I just noticed though, that the join between the lion's mane and face looks very artificial. It was a good idea for them to design it that way to reduce seamlines, but it really jumps out when someone goes to town and does an amazing paintjob on it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

To be quite honest it wasn't blood loss that did you in (you wouldn't have woken up if you had gone into shock). Vasovagal syncope to blood is an unfortunate thing to discover when all alone. Can happen to anyone, and sometimes its only in response to your own blood.

Good call. Its genetic as my father and sister have it. I've never been triggered before so I figured I was safe until this happened. Lucky I only chop parts of my hand off once every 10 years so I have plenty of time before I see copious amounts of my own blood again.

Miniatures Painting- A premier method for medical diagnosis

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Be prepared Bulbasaur, your friends fiends will now try and convince you that a large pool of fake blood is infact your own, though some sort of unique series of events.
You know, for laughs.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

Good call. Its genetic as my father and sister have it. I've never been triggered before so I figured I was safe until this happened. Lucky I only chop parts of my hand off once every 10 years so I have plenty of time before I see copious amounts of my own blood again.

I tried to split a sprue in half once, lengthwise, while drawing the knife towards the hand I was holding it with. Had to use quite a lot of superglue to repair that gash, since using a plaster and dressing would have meant stopping modelling.

Once a ham, always a ham.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Having super glue immediately ready for when you cut yourself is oddly comforting.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fyrbrand posted:

I painted some Cephalyx Warmachine mandollies. It's a new army for me, so I'm still figuring them out. The Agitator (yellow solo dude) looks so much better in person. I suck at the pictures.

Edit: the blue Trollblood monstrosity is a conversion using leftover parts from my main army. Here's the original studio version:

Lovely stuff

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
So despite painting for years, I've never figured out how to actually blend. I usually just do a basecoat, wash it and highlight with thinned paint, but I've never been able to do a smooth transition from a darker to lighter color on power armor or what have you.

Does anyone have an idiot's guide? Most of what I find on Google just doesn't seem to work.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Painting Buddha has been doing a video series on that very topic. You should watch that and give it a try.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Z the IVth posted:

I tried to split a sprue in half once, lengthwise, while drawing the knife towards the hand I was holding it with. Had to use quite a lot of superglue to repair that gash, since using a plaster and dressing would have meant stopping modelling.

Once a ham, always a ham.
Any time I do a significant amount of modelling, even if it's just cleaning stubborn mold lines, my thumb print area just end up a hardened criss-cross mess of scar tissue.
This is because I never learned to have fine control while cutting away from myself, so I always cut with the edge towards my thumb, with everything from hams to peeling potatoes.

BULBASAUR posted:

About 6 months ago I sliced the corner of my thumb of on a V-slicer. Protip, for all hams here, when superglue isn't enough to repair the damage, electrical tape works great.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

In October when I got the itch to paint again I used a sculpting tool to open one of those old GW hexagon shaped paint jars, one from the terrible screw cap line not pop up lid type. I did not manage to open it but did push the sculpting tool through my palm. I spent the rest of October transferring my old paints into dropper bottles instead of painting.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Groetgaffel posted:

Any time I do a significant amount of modelling, even if it's just cleaning stubborn mold lines, my thumb print area just end up a hardened criss-cross mess of scar tissue.
This is because I never learned to have fine control while cutting away from myself, so I always cut with the edge towards my thumb, with everything from hams to peeling potatoes.

About 6 months ago I sliced the corner of my thumb of on a V-slicer. Protip, for all hams here, when superglue isn't enough to repair the damage, electrical tape works great.

I prefer superglue and gauze combined when glue alone won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So I swung by the mancave to pick up the paints I'd forgotten and grabbed a whole shitlot of pictures while at it..