Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I also thought the First Order was a little too Hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I hated the Nazi scene because I felt like someone was slapping me in the face saying DO YOU GET IT through the whole thing so I guess I'm not giving it enough credit. He delivered the speech well, I just hated the imagery.

There was plenty of heavy-handed imagery in this movie. Despite the obvious parallels to Nazi Germany, that scene was god drat beautiful, especially the bit when the Starkiller base unleashes its fury across the galaxy for the first time, and you see the reflection in Hux's eyes. That poo poo was baller.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Wait people are scared of baseless speculation for the next two movies because someone might accidentally be right? lol

No, of course not, but there were plenty of posts that were 'leaked' information. ANd then of course there's FYAD being loving assholes. I stayed away from an assload of things to watch this movie without knowing poo poo, it's exhausting. And I like talking star wars with you guys but in this thread alone there's been like 5 posts since yesterday where someone did the spoiler tag wrong and then had to go back and fix it.

As for baseless speculation, you can get way more specific about the next chapter now, but you can still be wrong. Who knows. gently caress spoilers anyway.

OldSenileGuy posted:

JJ sure loves messing around with usage of hyperspace. In Star Trek you had the whole "you can't beam aboard a ship moving at warp speed, it's never been done, it's too dangerous!!!!" thing, and this movie had TWO instances of he same kind of hyperspace fuckery, with Han first going to light speed from within the hangar of his space junker ship, and then again coming out of light speed right above the planet.

More thoughts and nitpicks later when I'm not phone posting, but overall I loved it.

I don't think those are fuckery in the slightest, just incredibly dangerous and stupid, because one means you are putting on the brakes way too late, and the other means youre hitting the gas wayy too early

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

I hated the Nazi scene because I felt like someone was slapping me in the face saying DO YOU GET IT through the whole thing so I guess I'm not giving it enough credit. He delivered the speech well, I just hated the imagery.

I was actually expecting a couple of gibberish German phrases during that over the top speech. Just to make sure we get it. But yeah, overall, I had a good time with this movie. Now if Carrie Fisher could get out of the way, we'd be golden for Episode VIII. I bought the Lego model of Rey's speeder for a friend's little daughter today. Merchandise!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My biggest take away from the reactions to this movie is that like loving half of the people who saw it fail to realize Ren was majorly hurt when he battled Finn / Rey. Not only that but they spent multiple scenes setting up the bowcaster as a really strong weapon, literally shooting Stormtroopers across a room, and Ren took the shot like a champ.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just want to say that Mark Hamill's acting for such a short scene with no dialogue was SUPERB. When she whips out his old lightsaber the look on his face is one of just absolute shock, with tears in his eyes. Now, maybe Rey is his daughter and that's why he had that look but holy cow did that look on his face give me goosebumps.

Oh and the parallels with Nazi Germany are appropriate since the Third Reich (First order?) sprung from the remnants of the defeated belligerent of the last great war.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 18, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

hhhat posted:

No, of course not, but there were plenty of posts that were 'leaked' information. ANd then of course there's FYAD being loving assholes. I stayed away from an assload of things to watch this movie without knowing poo poo, it's exhausting. And I like talking star wars with you guys but in this thread alone there's been like 5 posts since yesterday where someone did the spoiler tag wrong and then had to go back and fix it.

As for baseless speculation, you can get way more specific about the next chapter now, but you can still be wrong. Who knows. gently caress spoilers anyway.
Spoilers are not actually that bad and you shouldn't wear yourself out caring about them. Just live your life, man.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

that's forums poster deadken actually

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

turtlecrunch posted:

I also thought the First Order was a little too Hitler

I think it makes sense in the universe. Like the Empire had this thing where you could be like yeah I could see people here getting sweep up in it or the universe being so big that you could be born on one planet where the Empire is pretty chill and never realize how horrible they are. So it makes sense the guys still carrying the flag for it after its fall are more fanatical and are even bothering less than the Empire did when it came to protecting its image.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jack's Flow posted:

Now if Carrie Fisher could get out of the way, we'd be golden for Episode VIII.

Carrie Fisher is awesome :colbert:

The Dave posted:

My biggest take away from the reactions to this movie is that like loving half of the people who saw it fail to realize Ren was majorly hurt when he battled Finn / Rey. Not only that but they spent multiple scenes setting up the bowcaster as a really strong weapon, literally shooting Stormtroopers across a room, and Ren took the shot like a champ.

I've brought this up a few times here, and a few times elsewhere else and everyone seems to ignore that fact and just say Kylo Ren is a bitch :(

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Are the first order guys actually nazis in their ideology though, or are they just borrowing Triumph Of The Will imagery to make them look bad?

Because, you know, the end of A New Hope.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

yeah, my only complaint really for the whole film was the bad guys were a bit too "twirling mustache" evil. I think what made the villains in the originals so great is they were badass and knew it, didn't have to prove poo poo to anyone, especially the audience. These guys were almost pleading with the audience to believe that they were bad, up to and past the point of splashing Nazi'esque imagery on them. But I totally own that is me nitpicking, and it didn't ruin anything for me.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

The Dave posted:

Yeah, he was basically working with a loving gaping hole in his lower torso for the final 20 minutes. For Star Wars, Kylo Ren is a very scary dude.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Spoilers are not actually that bad and you shouldn't wear yourself out caring about them. Just live your life, man.

How about no and don't tell me who Lukes dad is kthx

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Are the first order guys actually nazis in their ideology though, or are they just borrowing Triumph Of The Will imagery to make them look bad?

I feel like the First Order is if Neo Nazis actually gained some semblance of organization and legitimacy.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

teagone posted:

There was plenty of heavy-handed imagery in this movie. Despite the obvious parallels to Nazi Germany, that scene was god drat beautiful, especially the bit when the Starkiller base unleashes its fury across the galaxy for the first time, and you see the reflection in Hux's eyes. That poo poo was baller.

That was a baller shot but the scene as a whole felt like it was guest directed by Tarantino or something. It would have been cool in a heavily stylized, over-the-top movie but felt really out of place in the middle of this one.

And yeah there was a lot of heavy-handed imagery, but I felt like the whole blatant SS uniforms and their soldiers being called Stormtroopers and the formations and marching since the OT were more than obvious enough. The big red banner and the straight Nazi salute at the end were beyond heavy-handed.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I thought this was pretty great read! Thanks for sharing. The author has not seen the film, so there are no spoilers therein.

quote:

All this is perfectly demonstrated in the sadly underappreciated Star Wars prequels. Here we’re shown the real truth of the situation in the original trilogy. The Jedi — a rich, powerful, aristocratic military order, unaccountable to any democratic oversight and pompously decked out in peasant robes — are shown marching into battle alongside the armies of proto-Stormtroopers as they wage a war of extermination against some poorly defined separatists, whose view that the Republic is essentially evil turns out to be absolutely correct. The Yodas and Obi-Wans and Skywalkers of the world are politically aligned with a nihilistic and omnicidal power from beyond the galaxy: they always were.

quote:

Based on the experience of the later James Bond films, and Abrams’ previous efforts with Star Trek, it’s very likely to be a dull soup of knowing, pseudo-pomo references to the original trilogy, to keep the fans happy; where the prequels tried to extend the story, the sequels will probably only recapitulate it.

A new surrogate for the Empire, a new stand-in for the Alliance, to reinforce the pure homogeneity that is the Star Wars vision of justice, to conceal with phoney wars and fake empires the fact that our only hope is not to awaken the Force, but to smash it utterly.

Vote Kreia in 2016!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Are the first order guys actually nazis in their ideology

Well, we know thanks to Finn that they take kids away from their parents, indoctrinate them, and teach them to kill.

*narrows eyes and stares at the Jedi Council*

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jack's Flow posted:

Yeah, he was basically working with a loving gaping hole in his lower torso for the final 20 minutes. For Star Wars, Kylo Ren is a very scary dude.

Not only that but he kept pounding on it because he was using the pain to drive himself further.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

But at the end of A New Hope, the rebel soldiers didn't mimic the Nazi salute like the First Order troopers did. THAT is the differentiating indicator.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

And yeah there was a lot of heavy-handed imagery, but I felt like the whole blatant SS uniforms and their soldiers being called Stormtroopers and the formations and marching since the OT were more than obvious enough. The big red banner and the straight Nazi salute at the end were beyond heavy-handed.

Except they are literal space fascists

next years republican primary debates will feature speculation on whether or not the first order is actually the good guys

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Well, we know thanks to Finn that they take kids away from their parents, indoctrinate them, and teach them to kill.

*narrows eyes and stares at the Jedi Council*

Ahahahahahahaha this is great. I'm stealing this. Wonderful.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

hhhat posted:

How about no and don't tell me who Lukes dad is kthx

What do you mean by this?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jack's Flow posted:

Now if Carrie Fisher could get out of the way, we'd be golden for Episode VIII.

Honestly, now that the Han/Leia thing is somewhat wrapped up :smith: , Leia is poised to have a really cool role, as a sort of Mon Mothma but with personal skin in the game as a widow/mother/sister.

Luke will also slot neatly into the Yoda role, possibly mirroring Snoke/Kylo Ren with their own Bizarro Yoda/Luke thing going on. So loving looking forward to Ep. VIII

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

hhhat posted:

Except they are literal space fascists

I'm not sure why this means they have to be portrayed using over-the-top Nazi imagery. Plenty of real world fascists besides the Nazis. Or they could, again, have just kept all the glaring Nazi imagery from the OT without pushing it to 11. They pushed it so hard it felt silly, not menacing the way it did when it was more subtle.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

For anyone interested in box office numbers, The Force Awakens generated roughly $57 million from Thursday night showings. Lmao. This thing is going to destroy through the holidays. I wonder if it will have Avatar-esque legs though. Think this movie can reach $2.x billion by the end of its run? I think it will.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 18, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Not only that but he kept pounding on it because he was using the pain to drive himself further.

I figured he was bracing himself to keep him going or something, that makes much more sense.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW I was all excited that the dude who wrote Hamilton's music was doing the space truck stop music and it was forgettable blah garbage. Boooooooooo.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

I'm not sure why this means they have to be portrayed using over-the-top Nazi imagery. Plenty of real world fascists besides the Nazis. Or they could, again, have just kept all the glaring Nazi imagery from the OT without pushing it to 11.

makes sense if you remember that the empire was mostly blown the gently caress up 30 years prior. These guys are true believers, not just guys who joined up for the GI bill. Worked for me, they're embracing the fact that they blow up planets, murder civilians, steal kids, watch anime and spoil movies for people who can't go on Thursday night

sieg heil :commissar:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Honestly, now that the Han/Leia thing is somewhat wrapped up :smith: , Leia is poised to have a really cool role, as a sort of Mon Mothma but with personal skin in the game as a widow/mother/sister.

Luke will also slot neatly into the Yoda role, possibly mirroring Snoke/Kylo Ren with their own Bizarro Yoda/Luke thing going on. So loving looking forward to Ep. VIII

Luke is clearly Obi-Wan and is going to let himself be killed by either Snoke or Kylo in the next movie so Rey can become a full badass.

hhhat posted:

makes sense if you remember that the empire was mostly blown the gently caress up 30 years prior. These guys are true believers, not just guys who joined up for the GI bill. Worked for me, they're embracing the fact that they blow up planets, murder civilians, steal kids, watch anime and spoil movies for people who can't go on Thursday night sieg heil

But the Star Wars universe is unaware of the existence of earth Nazis. My entire point is essentially that it annoyed me that the design of the villains went from being heavily inspired by the Nazis to literally being the Nazis with a different symbol. Can I get some subtlety in my laser space wizard movie please.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 18, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
For Episode VIII, I'd like to see Leia use the Force a little bit. Not light saber poo poo or anything like that, but just some cool stuff to show how powerful she actually is. I really liked seeing Rey use the Force and actually be strong and capable too. More of that please.

In fact, I'd love to see Leia confront Ben and school his rear end a little bit.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I like that President Snow is alive in Star Wars and cleverly disguising himself as Emperor "Snoke".

He's just using you, Kylotniss!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ahahahahahahaha this is great. I'm stealing this. Wonderful.

You do realize that the prequel Jedi are depicted as hypocritical and short-sighted on purpose, right?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the first order being Double Hitler is much much better than the vague nazism of the ot empire, imo. keeps the politics of star wars firmly liberal as opposed to the fascism of the new star trek

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Zoran posted:

You do realize that the prequel Jedi are depicted as hypocritical and short-sighted on purpose, right?

Yes I did, but this is a great shorthand for it and draws a nice parallel that I hadn't noticed!

Also, I don't care if Lucas did it on purpose or not and neither should you.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes I did, but this is a great shorthand for it and draws a nice parallel that I hadn't noticed!

Also, I don't care if Lucas did it on purpose or not and neither should you.

Oh okay, I mistook your meaning then. Sometimes people use that sort of thing to snipe at the prequels, as though it's somehow wrong for a film to make one of its factions flawed in any way.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There's a thread in CineD that is devoted to Star Wars spoilers, so why are people surprised that FYAD would post Star Wars spoilers? Seems like that thread shouldn't have been made in the first place.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Jack's Flow posted:

Not only that but he kept on punching his wound to keep himself going. He's a genuinely intimidating villain because of how reckless and unstable he is.

I loved everything about that snowy forest lightsaber fight, it felt a lot like a samurai showdown/standoff to me. I also loved at the end of the fight with the ground splitting between them - a literal divide between Rey and Ben - symbolizing how Rey has now embraced the Light Side of the Force, while Ben continues embracing the Dark Side, becoming more and more like the figure he idolizes most.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Alec Eiffel posted:

There's a thread in CineD that is devoted to Star Wars spoilers, so why are people surprised that FYAD would post Star Wars spoilers? Seems like that thread shouldn't have been made in the first place.

That's been the forum title for a while. It may have just been a guess when they actually changed it just because it was pretty obvious it was going to happen if you follow Star Wars at all outside of the movies. Also how is a spoiler thread any different than a discussion thread where people post spoilers with tags? Do you think FYAD people can't hover over a black box or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So is Max Von Sydow going to have a bigger role? Seemed a waste to cast such a huge name.

• Locked thread