Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Agree. It was too over the top in my opinion for her to do that. It was a good episode, but that was a weakness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Did neither of you see the part where she used hairspray to make an improvised flamethrower? (not that that isn't over the top)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Strawman posted:

Did neither of you see the part where she used hairspray to make an improvised flamethrower? (not that that isn't over the top)

The hairspray flamethrower was fine, I didn't find it particularly funny but it's whatever. It's just her leaving her two police officer friends behind in a crisis situation so that she can go get an armful of hairspray that I thought was really dumb. I hate the term "flanderization", but it fits here.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

PantsBandit posted:

The hairspray flamethrower was fine, I didn't find it particularly funny but it's whatever. It's just her leaving her two police officer friends behind in a crisis situation so that she can go get an armful of hairspray that I thought was really dumb. I hate the term "flanderization", but it fits here.

To be fair, Gina has never been written as anything other than a complete cartoon character, not even remotely realistic. Sure, she shouldn't have run off for the hairspray, but the show handled it fine (it didn't work).

Remember, this is a show that had an episode where it's lead character was literally freezing his bills in the freezer instead of opening them. The whole thing is a silly cartoon.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Take it easy guys, this was an episode where robbing a department store took 7 Canadians and a plan to drill out through the sewers and was foiled by a man climbing through air ducts silently.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And that man, Charles Broyles.

I really loved Terry finally standing up to his Brother in law. "You don't even have a job!".

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Strange that Holt's 'you've got a bright future Terry! Oh but you're also suspended' bit didn't end with 'Merry Christmas'. Seems like mandatory family time would actually be a reward for Terry but unless it was too obvious to mention it didn't come across that way.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

1 800 J JAMES posted:

Strange that Holt's 'you've got a bright future Terry! Oh but you're also suspended' bit didn't end with 'Merry Christmas'. Seems like mandatory family time would actually be a reward for Terry but unless it was too obvious to mention it didn't come across that way.

They never say if it's "with pay" and he's already worried about finances.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Pan Dulce posted:

They never say if it's "with pay" and he's already worried about finances.

Movies and TV always seem to suspend cops with pay. I'm not a cop so perhaps I don't understand the dynamic but that doesn't exactly scream punishment to me.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

lifts cats over head posted:

Movies and TV always seem to suspend cops with pay. I'm not a cop so perhaps I don't understand the dynamic but that doesn't exactly scream punishment to me.

It can seriously gently caress with your chances at promotion. Of course the reasoning always matters. Throwing the Vulture in a dumpster to save members of your squad might actually be a good thing depending on the board.

JD
Jan 11, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Remember, this is a show that had an episode where it's lead character was literally freezing his bills in the freezer instead of opening them. The whole thing is a silly cartoon.

I think that was Andy and April on Parks and Rec.

Jake keeps his mail in the mail tub, which is just a smart system if you ask me.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm binging season 1 right now and I gotta say that I really miss "Amy's sex tape" jokes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

old dog child posted:

I'm binging season 1 right now and I gotta say that I really miss "Amy's sex tape" jokes.

Kinda torn because they were great but "Title of OUR sex tape!" Was the best capper.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

It can seriously gently caress with your chances at promotion. Of course the reasoning always matters. Throwing the Vulture in a dumpster to save members of your squad might actually be a good thing depending on the board.

Yea, I really doubt The Vulture is well liked enough that people would defend him.

Its the first Boyletti Christmas!
Christmas is canceled, Charles ruined it.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

thrawn527 posted:

To be fair, Gina has never been written as anything other than a complete cartoon character, not even remotely realistic. Sure, she shouldn't have run off for the hairspray, but the show handled it fine (it didn't work).

There was that first season episode where Gina is afraid of everything because her apartment got robbed. That doesn't seem to fit going full Die Hard when confronted with armed gunmen.

But then again, that was when Boyle was a crazy stalker man, so who knows.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

JD posted:

I think that was Andy and April on Parks and Rec.

Jake keeps his mail in the mail tub, which is just a smart system if you ask me.

poo poo, you're right.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

PantsBandit posted:

drat, Gina running off by herself in a store full of armed hostage-takers to go get loving hairspray really pushed her into a full on caricature. Not one of B99's better moments...

You get that it was so she could build the flamethrowers and save everybody, right? I didn't think it was a stretch that she was sure she could be the hero. Just making sure you don't think it was so she could do her hair.

Edit: oops, for some reason I didn't see there was another page of posts in the thread.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Propaniac posted:

You get that it was so she could build the flamethrowers and save everybody, right? I didn't think it was a stretch that she was sure she could be the hero. Just making sure you don't think it was so she could do her hair.

We get it because she plainly said why she wanted to do it, the point is that her plan is so terribly stupid that it is out of character for her, especially in that scenario. She may be "wacky" but she's not Wile E Coyote. It was a bad choice.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

ChesterJT posted:

We get it because she plainly said why she wanted to do it, the point is that her plan is so terribly stupid that it is out of character for her, especially in that scenario. She may be "wacky" but she's not Wile E Coyote. It was a bad choice.

It would have worked if they hadn't seen her!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ChesterJT posted:

Sitcoms are live action cartoons.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
It happened because they needed Gina to get taken hostage for the Die Hard story and it was funny. That's the entire reasoning for them writing it. There may have been a realistic and "in character" way for her to get taken hostage, but if it wasn't funny, what would be the point? Gina is an incredibly self-centered and oblivious character, so however it happened, it would be her doing something dumb and people would still be complaining about her being a cartoon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sitcoms are live action cartoons.

Exactly. Every comedy writer I've ever heard has always been "don't over think it, just make the joke".

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Exactly. Every comedy writer I've ever heard has always been "don't over think it, just make the joke".

That doesn't mean the jokes always work. Sometimes they bomb because they are out of place, like the one with Gina.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ChesterJT posted:

That doesn't mean the jokes always work. Sometimes they bomb because they are out of place, like the one with Gina.

It was fine, not a great joke, but fine.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The joke that took me out of the show the most was when Boyle was trying to help Holt make breakfast for Kevin. That whole plotline made no sense! Holt subscribes to Boyle's food blog because it's the only one that gauges mouth feel. :argh:

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

The Vulture telling Terry that he'd go be a model because "you're really ripped, and I respect that" :allears: Every time that character opens his mouth, I crack up.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
People defending the gina joke are probably wrong?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Well, my immersion for this comedy show has been ruined.

It's procedurals only from now on.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Well, my immersion for this comedy show has been ruined.

It's procedurals only from now on.

Why would anyone care about immersion?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think that's the point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Affi posted:

People defending the gina joke are probably wrong?

According to this, you're all idiots.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

XMNN posted:

I think that's the point.

I know, I was trying to point out he's being a bit nutty by mentioning immersion which no one but him is talking about. Some people just thought the joke was bad.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

What is this, the local?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

ChesterJT posted:

I know, I was trying to point out he's being a bit nutty by mentioning immersion which no one but him is talking about. Some people just thought the joke was bad.

I don't give a poo poo about immersion, I'm just trying to fit in.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, reminder that B99 moves to Tuesdays now.

Also, we only get one episode for two weeks. State of the union address the week after this one knocks it off the schedule.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Thanks, obummer

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

First he takes our guns, then our men with guns.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
HOLT IS DANCING

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Dancing: Over. Situation: Diffused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
That's what you get for lying about free strudel.

• Locked thread