Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Yeah I'd like to see that evidence because from what I've heard BFZ is the best selling set of all time above the #2, KTK

in terms of data many regions have a serious judge shortage because so many events are happening

I wonder why there are judge shortages. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Everything I heard about BFZ was negative but the MTG culture means all of these players complaining cracked a ton of packs.

Design wise it was bad but clever lottery ticket wise it was good. I hate the new Eldrazi. Attica! Attica!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Irony Be My Shield posted:

An absolute tonne of BFZ has been opened due to expeditions.

Which I hope is a lesson they take to heart and just start sticking modern staples as expedition-esque super rare cards into packs to keep people busting 'em. Drives down the price of standard while giving people a reason to crack packs.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Sickening posted:

I wonder why there are judge shortages. :iiam:

Couldn't tell you. Well, I'm off to cash the $60 CAD check I got after driving out to Quebec City round trip, putting myself up in a hotel and putting in three ten hour shifts.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Wizards will eventually smarten up and do what Pokemon TCG apparently does according to that MTGS repost earlier, and give you digital product with every purchase of paper product. That cleanly solves their problem of needing to get into the digital space while still selling and supporting physical product.

Maybe MODO will also become.. not poo poo? A guy can dream

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm pretty sure magic's been slowly dying since it peaked in Ice Age. Any year now it's gonna disappear.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If WOTC give out digital product it will be free cards for their garbage f2p dotp game. They have proven they're content to destroy MODO to stop people from playing for free, let alone give out product to people.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

stinkles1112 posted:

Wizards will eventually smarten up and do what Pokemon TCG apparently does according to that MTGS repost earlier, and give you digital product with every purchase of paper product. That cleanly solves their problem of needing to get into the digital space while still selling and supporting physical product.

Maybe MODO will also become.. not poo poo? A guy can dream

I'm not sure why they'd decide to actually invest resources in MTGO after they've started giving it away for free. If anything, I'd expect them to do that if their online sales tanked and they wanted to maintain a presence there.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Also I'm not sure how many of you guys have actually played Hearthstone but let's just say I'm not exactly worried about it taking over the card game market. It's got plenty of its own problems. Like being a dumb game for dummies.

In case this post has inspired you to try Hearthstone to see what the fuss is about, allow me to save you the time and recommend that you instead flip twenty coins and pretend that's how many games of Hearthstone you've won today.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hearthstone is such an amazing product in comparison to MODO that it literally doesn't matter that Reynad was a top level Hearthstone player lmao

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
It's pretty funny that hearthstone ripped off basically every core gameplay component of MtG except removed some of them and yet wizards still isn't smart enough to rip off their functioning digital platform.

Like, they could crush them overnight if MODO looked like hearthstone

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the core gameplay model of Hearthstone is a lot better suited to being an online game. Having to wait for ages in the middle of your turn while your opponent AFKs sucks.

e: re: BFZ I think the design stuff was dramatically overstated. The mechanics play well and not everyone was desperate for another 6 variations of Ulamog's Crusher

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
if you wanted to like hearthstone but were turned off by the lack of anime tiddies ive got the product for you

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

dragon enthusiast posted:

if you wanted to like hearthstone but were turned off by the lack of anime tiddies ive got the product for you

No one wants to play Force with someone who misspells "titties". Go away.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Couldn't tell you. Well, I'm off to cash the $60 CAD check I got after driving out to Quebec City round trip, putting myself up in a hotel and putting in three ten hour shifts.

Literally no reason for them not to pay out in Judge Force of Wills

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

No one wants to play Force with someone who misspells "titties". Go away.

wasnt talking about FoW, scrublord spotted
https://shadowverse.jp

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Your telling me that judges don't like low pay, forced mentor-ship, and dealing with the worst of the magic community? I feel like they should be more loyal.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kalli posted:

Which I hope is a lesson they take to heart and just start sticking modern staples as expedition-esque super rare cards into packs to keep people busting 'em. Drives down the price of standard while giving people a reason to crack packs.

Which is ironic considering how insanely expensive the current standard is, although I get that's mostly the other sets and not BfZ.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Hearthstone is a notably worse game but the difference in work between making a paper cube and finding 7 people I trust enough to play it OR sending a friend a message that says "hey wanna play a tavern brawl" is actually just staggering.

I'm not going to cube on modo, for what it's worth

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Which is ironic considering how insanely expensive the current standard is, although I get that's mostly the other sets and not BfZ.

Fetches + jace + gideon = standart out of control

Kcommand, atarka's command, and den protector don't help much either.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Failboattootoot posted:

Khans said Hey here's the suite of cards that are too expensive but you have to play them if you want a tier 1 standard deck.

BfZ said Okay but seriously you have to play all of those cards,and use these lands to do it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's the combination of fetches from KtK and duals from BFZ that force you to buy into a) a very expensive manabase and b) nonlands that are basically all chase rares because the lands let you play most of the best cards in the format.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

alansmithee posted:

I think one of the things magic will have is the collectible nature. It's not just the game aspect, you get to capitalize on the same drives that collectible markets take advantage of. On top of which you have the ability to get something back for your investment if you choose to cash out vs. just being stuck.

Like I've personally gotten in and out of playing like 3-4 times and although I've not gotten back what I've put in, I've been able to get something. Whereas if I decide to quit playing Hearthstone or w/e, that's pretty much just gone (although the startup costs are generally less, unless you're trying to get all the chase cards where you're resorting to just cracking packs).

collectability fucks you up though bc now there's a ton of businesses dependent on cards having certain availability and pricing which means you can't just release poo poo to demand. like stores depend on the fact that not everyone can get a gideon on the cheap. this is why wotc had to do the stunted modern masters print run that just inflated goyf prices, because increasing goyf availability to meet demand will screw a lot of people up.

hearthstone etc. doesn't have this problem. they can release infinity packs. the supply of product scales with demand and blizzard can tweak the numbers on various rarities to keep people invested and spending time and money on their product. they don't have to prop up a secondary economy because they have absolute control over it. being able to grind into what you want is also a huge blessing bc if someone is like "i can't afford X card out of pocket" then they just have to spend time on the game, generating content for blizzard for free.

i think hearthstone is a pretty crap game compared to magic, but it's a significantly better product and i have a hard time believing that will never affect how magic does in the market.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Despite having several friends/acquaintances who have decided to open brick & mortar games shops, I will have no sympathy for them if they go under once the Magic secondary market collapses. If an LGS doesn't/can't diversify, they don't really stand a chance. And I will laugh extra hard when StarCity goes under.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Seems good. Certainly fun.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

You had me at "unconventional untap"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

How many times per turn cycle do you get to untap this guy in two-headed giant?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

black potus posted:

collectability fucks you up though

Magic is even a special case with this because the reserve list is just an implicit contract that,excepting bans and meta shifts, it will always be profitable to possess an expensive card. This causes some hosed up cartoon dollar sign eyes level of greed from everyone involved in the system. The game's been warped into junior wall street or whatever and wizards is laughing all the way to the bank while I crack a few packs a year hoping for the chase rare like a jackass even though I'm priced out of the formats I like

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Eldrazi Staff of Nin....sort of...

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Tbh the thing that's gonna kill magic is probably actually phones. Someone's either gonna make a good new phone/tablet game (or just make xmage work) as phones get more and more powerful. Hearthstone already exists but I actually have a good phone and that's still like trying to play modo on any pc

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
They should do foil FNM promos for some real money cards and only allow kids 10 and under that play with 100+ card unsleeved decks to have them

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Having a way to draw cards and shut down flyers in the ramp deck seems cool. It's a bit awkward that it doesn't work with Shrine of the Forsaken Gods but that deck may be packing some extra colorless lands after OGW anyway.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Entropic posted:

Yours and theirs, that's all. In commander, however, the more players the more untaps you get.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Entropic posted:

once on your turn, once on theirs. Teams share a turn cycle.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Ehh, I think BfZ had a large indirect effect. Besides Gideon showing up, the lands meant people went from some painlands, basics, and relatively cheap scrylands with maybe 4 fetches to 16 fetches and 10 lands that actually tap for mana.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Irony Be My Shield posted:

An absolute tonne of BFZ has been opened due to expeditions.

Source?

edit: that untap guy is really cool. suck it, diamond mana haters.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Endbringer looks awesome, seems like a great toolbox / value card

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Caleb (best non-Pro Tour content creator) with some fun Legacy ban list thought experiments.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/the-legacy-ban-list-what-should-change/

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Caleb (best non-Pro Tour content creator) with some fun Legacy ban list thought experiments.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/the-legacy-ban-list-what-should-change/

Banning Lion's Eye Diamond is an insane idea.

And what I'm getting from that article is Caleb really doesn't like filtering cards much.

E: Legacy seriously needs to be as far away from Modern as possible, banning the cool, weird things would make it Modern with more expensive cards (DRS can probably still bite it though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
start w/ a fair amount of words on wasteland, link article on top, give up trying to argue for anything after that.

i can do this give me a column CFB

• Locked thread