Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

There will be people that tell you the main tossup is between the Punisher and the Red9.

These people are objectively wrong. Red9 supremacy 4 lyfe.
Blacktail. Blaaaaaaacktaaaaaaaaaaail. BLAAAAAAAACKTAAAAAAAAAAA :flame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

anilEhilated posted:

Blacktail. Blaaaaaaacktaaaaaaaaaaail. BLAAAAAAAACKTAAAAAAAAAAA :flame:

- a wrong opinion

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

dscruffy1 posted:

- a wrong opinion

- a correct opinion regarding the Blacktail

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
The best handgun is not the Punisher, I always sell that trash the second Red9 is available even though I prefer the Blacktail.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The best handgun is the TMP.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No love for the standard head-popper? It seems like it'd be tons of fun provided your aim is good :v:

edit: Although then you come upon the same issue as in The Evil Within where crit rate is only meaningful if you can actually hit stuff, and it's not useful at all on bosses!

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014

CJacobs posted:

No love for the standard head-popper? It seems like it'd be tons of fun provided your aim is good :v:

edit: Although then you come upon the same issue as in The Evil Within where crit rate is only meaningful if you can actually hit stuff, and it's not useful at all on bosses!

The starting pistol is actually a really good alternative to the obviously best choice that is the Red 9, but you don't really see it shine until you've fully upgraded it. That said fully upgraded it's a contender with a fully upgraded Red 9. It'll be a while yet before we see any of the guns even get near that thought. And choices will have to be made

Oh man we're going to have so many arguments about the guns once CJacobs starts gearing up properly.

EDIT: I hope we get to see some of the special death animations tho, there's some really cool ones. I want to see the reaction.

JMolen fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 18, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Assuming all upgrades are applied to every weapon, the Punisher remains the weakest handgun among the lot. For others, the Blacktail is the second highest capacity and second fastest firing and the Matilda is the highest capacity and fire rate. So get a fully upgraded Matilda if you want a 100-round submachine gun using handgun ammo.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

JMolen posted:

The starting pistol is actually a really good alternative to the obviously best choice that is the Red 9, but you don't really see it shine until you've fully upgraded it. That said fully upgraded it's a contender with a fully upgraded Red 9. It'll be a while yet before we see any of the guns even get near that thought. And choices will have to be made

Oh man we're going to have so many arguments about the guns once CJacobs starts gearing up properly.
I await the arguments over the magnum weapons because those are going to be fun.

Although, I'll mostly be complaining about how rare ammo for those weapons are. :smith:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

I await the arguments over the magnum weapons because those are going to be fun.

Although, I'll mostly be complaining about how rare ammo for those weapons are. :smith:

Well, there's only one argument for it.

The Broken Butterfly is the best magnum because it's the most powerful and it has a cool reload animation and it's free.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
There are things I want to talk about for the weapons that others are saying (So many wrong opinions! :bahgawd:) but...

CJacobs OP posted:

Please don't, not even in spoiler tags. Not even in wink-and-nod sly references. I've played future RE games so I know at least a little bit about what goes down in RE4 since Leon is, y'know, present in them... but I'd appreciate if you would only talk about stuff we've seen despite the age of the game. Thanks!

...So we should probably stop here for now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Eh, that's mostly meant for plot stuff. Because it's a Resident Evil game I already know there'll be at least 3 pistols, at least 3 shotguns, an upgraded rifle, possibly too many magnums, and an infinite ammo rocket launcher. I would like it if you wouldn't get TOO into the specifics in advance, especially if the guns in question are fun/unique, but that's not as much of a big deal.

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014
But seriously, upgrade your guns more.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

CJacobs posted:

Because it's a Resident Evil game I already know there'll be at least 3 pistols, at least 3 shotguns, an upgraded rifle, possibly too many magnums, and an infinite ammo rocket launcher.

I think you're going to be disappointed on a few of those guesses!

I ended up liking RE4, but enough guns were clearly best-of-show in their class it took some of the fun out of it. Ben and I went with the Capcom reference magnum and it was okay, but doesn't have a unique and its big draw is rate of fire... with a weapon type you never have enough ammo for.

Blacktail :respek:, though.

Fish Noise posted:

I'm going to have to go against the rest of the thread here, and tell you to take care of egg.

That was it! I was trying to think of what Fae kept saying about eggs when the subject first came up, but all I could remember was "big gay egg." :sweatdrop:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Has anyone mentioned that you don't need to use the combine menu to smush relevant items together? If you pick up an herb and drop it on top of another herb, it combines them for you. At least, it does that on the console versions.

This works for gun bits too, like stocks and scopes! I mean, it saves a grand total of two seconds at the most, but it feels oddly intuitive to do it that way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Now that I only have 2 LPs to handle instead of 3, I'm shuffling around my schedule a little bit to prepare for my next college semester. So now The Evil Within will be on tuesday and RE4 will be on thursday instead of mon/wed. Just a heads up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, I jinxed myself. Right after posting that, I recorded more The Evil Within commentary, but the audio didn't come out very well because I put my mic in a different spot than I usually do. Usually, it sits diagonally away from me and I don't talk directly into it, and I've found that produces the best mixture of volume, range, and general clarity. Last time I recorded, that space was occupied by christmas presents for my mother, so I had to put it somewhere else, and decided to make use of my pop filter for once by just putting it in front of me.

As it turns out, that was a bad idea, and so I spent the past few days tinkering with it to try and make it sound the same as it usually does. So here's the result! Hopefully it doesn't sound hosed up in some way.

Stranger and stranger still, now we find ourselves in a very odd setting and must wander. But what will Sebastian find?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 24, 2015

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
It sounds fine. Wouldn't have been able to tell the difference if you hadn't mentioned it.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
The enemies in that area do not spawn indefinitely.

Source: I killed them all.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Yeah, I think this was the part of the game where I just stopped trying to disarm those bombs; you can see how hard they are. They're worse than they look, too, with that weird delay between pressing the button and the needle actually stopping. (I dunno, maybe it's a v-sync thing.)

Anyway, merry christmas and thanks for the video. :)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just wanted people to know that The Evil Within is currently 85% off on Steam until January 5. (I can get it for 8.25 in Singapore dollars but I dunno about USD specifically.)

Resident Evil 4 HD for Steam is 66% off too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks for the heads up! That's the lowest price it has ever been! I'll put that in the OP again!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 25, 2015

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

I just wanted people to know that The Evil Within is currently 85% off on Steam until January 5. (I can get it for 8.25 in Singapore dollars but I dunno about USD specifically.)

Resident Evil 4 HD for Steam is 66% off too.

I picked up The Evil Within with all the DLC for :20bux:

e: I'm hot garbage at this game. Took me all my ammo when I first got the gun to take down Connelly(? the officer turned Haunted). Oh, and I got my face smashed in by the dude banging on the cabin that crazy dude ran into. Maybe I should have played this on the Casual level :|

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 26, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Personally I think the best Pistol is the Blacktail. :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
:hfive: Right there with you, buddy.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Phineas Gage is the guy who famously got an iron rod through the brain and survived.

The wiki page is great because there are several pictures of skulls pretty much going "OH poo poo I got shot in the head!!"

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
What's even weirder about Phineas Gage was his drastic change in personality after the accident. Before he had a 3'7" iron rod blown through his skull, he was a reliable and personable foreman whose job was to supervise groups of rowdy Irishmen. After the accident, he became foul-mouthed and formed strong attachments to inanimate objects, including the iron rod that impaled him. Dr. John Harlow, who treated Gage after the accident, tested this by offering Gage $1000 for a sack of pebbles he picked out of a riverbed. Gage refused.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The article does say that later reports show him as basically back to his old self, and speculates that the effects on his personality were just temporary. Phineas Gage is a fascinating individual. A good example of how human beings can survive some crazy-rear end poo poo, like having a huge piece of metal blown out the top of your skull.

quote:

"I dressed him, God healed him." Dr. J.M. Harlow, who attended Gage after the "rude missile had been shot through his brain",

The casual air with which the surgeon describes what happened to him is probably one of the most badass things ever said by a human.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 26, 2015

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

quote:

As these and other remarkable brain-injury survivals accumulated, the Boston Medical and Surgical Journal pretended to wonder whether the brain has any function at all: "Since the antics of iron bars, gas pipes, and the like skepticism is discomfitted, and dares not utter itself. Brains do not seem to be of much account now-a-days." The Transactions of the Vermont Medical Society was similarly facetious: "'The times have been,' says Macbeth [Act III], 'that when the brains were out the man would die. But now they rise again.' Quite possibly we shall soon hear that some German professor is exsecting it."
Quite appropriate for both of these games, I think.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It comes with some pretty big caveats of course but the brain is remarkably resilient if the object isn't too big, misses immediately vital areas, and goes straight through one side of the skull to the other. Go searching for them and you'll find tons of stories about people getting shot in the head or otherwise suffering a pretty grievous brain wound and living. It takes time but the brain has an astounding capacity to rewire itself, as it were, if there's enough left of it to rewire to.

And I wish I didn't have so much trouble with the blood spider lady boss because I did enjoy TEW when it was being more of an action game. These sections do seem fun. But man did I have trouble with her.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

CJacobs posted:

The article does say that later reports show him as basically back to his old self, and speculates that the effects on his personality were just temporary. Phineas Gage is a fascinating individual. A good example of how human beings can survive some crazy-rear end poo poo, like having a huge piece of metal blown out the top of your skull.

Yeah, after a brief gig sitting around P.T. Barnum's museum as a living oddity, he had some off-and-on work. He eventually moved to Chile and drove a six horse carriage for seven years through a dangerous mountain route. A true testement to brain plasticity. I'd recommend The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons by Sam Kean on the subject of brain trauma. Real fun stuff!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Tacopocalypse posted:

Dr. John Harlow, who treated Gage after the accident, tested this by offering Gage $1000 for a sack of pebbles he picked out of a riverbed. Gage refused.

Well obviously a bag of pebbles picked by a man who had a three and a half foot rod go through his brain is going to be worth more than $1000.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

His name is Mendez. Bitores "Big Cheese" Mendez. And he is gonna kick your rear end.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have to know: Why WOULDN'T you want to fight zombie jaguars? That sounds rad as hell.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Roundhouse kicks make those swarms much easier to handle. You had the right idea with being bold but not with your guns! Kicking just one will knock down, or at least knock back, pretty much everyone in front of you.

You certainly handled Mendez better than I did the first time though, I couldn't get a handle on his second form for a few tries.

Also this is a treasure spoiler, which I think you said you were okay with, but just in case The rubies are indeed just things to sell, they don't fit in anything.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Those headburster plagas can't actually hit you straight away after emerging; there's (Usually? Always?) a delay before the bladed tentacle pops out.

Ashley's fist-pump on the gondola ride never gets old. Incidentally, it may look like a section well-suited to the rifle, but the not-zombies in this part immediately do a railing-death when hit by anything, so you can also just use a pistol or the TMP.

Mendez does stagger when hit - you can see him do it a few times - but I guess he has to take a certain amount of damage before he does... and your weapons are un-upgraded.

Also, partially inspired by this LP, I finally caved and bought the RE4 Ultimate HD version in the current Steam sale, to replace the crappy original PC port of the game that I've got. So that's good. I'm looking forward to playing it again, once I've cleared some more of my ridiculous backlog...

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mendez's second form always annoyed me. Every time I fought him, he always spent too much time swinging from the rafters and rarely attacked me. Couple that with my own imperfect accuracy, and there were a lot of "HOLD STILL, GOD loving DAMMIT!" shouts during this fight.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Antistar01 posted:

Those headburster plagas can't actually hit you straight away after emerging; there's (Usually? Always?) a delay before the bladed tentacle pops out.

Yeah, I was thinking of RE5, where they can do that. They get a new move where they just like whip about willy-nilly in RE5 and that can slap you for chip damage until you're dead.

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014
So since you asked about it in the video, is it okay if I talk a bit about the way difficulty works in this game? Because the game is actually programmed to adapt to the player, the game will get harder if you do well (since it's supposed to be tense), but also easier if you're doing poorly (don't want the player to get stuck either) and it makes some HUGE changes. Spawning a lot more enemies, enemies that seem to take an odd amount of damage, changing the QTE time, or even changing the AI. I remember the system being kind of involved but i'd have to read up on it again.

This game wants you to be the hero but it also wants to test your nerves while it's at it.
And the sound design! They never quite recaptured that same feeling with chainsaw enemies in the later games (though 5 comes close)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's interesting! I would like to read more on the difficulty stuff, I had no idea that was a thing.

• Locked thread