Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ten-summit-finishes-for-vuelta-a-espana-in-2016/

Vuelta will have ten summit finishes next year. Should make for an interesting race at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

:captainpop:

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Cancellara is not impressed.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Tinkov is packing it in at the end of next season.

quote:

“But if nobody else cares about the future of the sport, then why should I care? F*ck all of them! That’s my personal reason why I want to leave professional cycling. From January 2017, I’m gone. I’m out of cycling. I’ll jump on my jet, fly home and focus on my business interests and enjoying my life. Everyone who is left in cycling will be the ones who will be in the poo poo. They will have to try to survive year by year, trying to convince sponsors to back a sport that isn’t sustainable.”

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Woo dazzle. I'm going to miss crazy guy Tinkov. A bit, I guess.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

serious gaylord posted:

Tinkov is packing it in at the end of next season.

This reads like someone who wants people to beg him to stay.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

For someone whose team has won various GTs over the last few years it appears to be him throwing his toys out of the pram now that a retired Contador will no longer secure such titles.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

My favorite pro on Strava: https://www.strava.com/pros/11394929

His breakfast photos are on point.

edit: example, https://www.strava.com/activities/439705153

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

For someone whose team has won various GTs over the last few years it appears to be him throwing his toys out of the pram now that a retired Contador will no longer secure such titles.

I think he wanted to be seen as the guy that 'saved' cycling and since the UCI won't buckle and none of the other big team directors want any part of his reforms hes having a strop.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

dema posted:

My favorite pro on Strava: https://www.strava.com/pros/11394929

His breakfast photos are on point.

edit: example, https://www.strava.com/activities/439705153
Duvel, good choice. Will be following this lovely lad.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Here's a good picture of cyclocross world champion Mathieu Van der Poel being retarded. He's still alive and hell, he crashed this past Sunday too.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Paddyb posted:

Here's a good picture of cyclocross world champion Mathieu Van der Poel being retarded. He's still alive and hell, he crashed this past Sunday too.

He finished 5th in the race where that photo was taken too. It's possibly my favourite cycling photo that's ever come into existence.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Something must be broken in me but I just dgaf about cx racing. I've watched streams of races and yawn, on the ground it'd be different I'm sure.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

You and me both, Pocketino.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Pocket posted:

Something must be broken in me but I just dgaf about cx racing. I've watched streams of races and yawn, on the ground it'd be different I'm sure.

I like watching amatuer ones on youtube where the guy is filming with a gopro and has his powermeter data overlay on there, but regular races are inscrutable to me

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

If I wanted to watch weak power numbers I'd buy myself a power meter.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just watch svenness

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Pocket posted:

Tbf they are putting out a ton of watts the races are like 45 minutes

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

evil_bunnY posted:

Just watch svenness

This is really the best advice and I love the cx. The streams are bad most of the time and it's probably hard to tell who is who when they're all coated in pig poo poo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

I'll send you links to my youtube vids.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Hope the cam work is shaky af with rattling and wheezing for a soundtrack, or maybe bro-step.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Pocket posted:

Same. Luckily, there are all the six-days to watch in the winter.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

Hope the cam work is shaky af with rattling and wheezing for a soundtrack, or maybe bro-step.

You'll be calling bullshit on my 2 w/kg hill climbs.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I remain skeptical and enjoy complaining about the state of doping in amateur racing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

I remain skeptical and enjoy complaining about the state of doping in amateur racing.

If it makes you feel better the 18 year old that won the junior 10 mile national TT champs just got done for EPO use. And a 40 year old dude who raced in the masters leagues.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

If it makes you feel better the 18 year old that won the junior 10 mile national TT champs just got done for EPO use. And a 40 year old dude who raced in the masters leagues.
That poo poo will never, ever get old.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

My favorite remains that French junior a few years back that got caught with something like 10 different products in his sample at a local kermesse, not one of them was recreational as well. Livestrong bruh.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Apparently ASO are withdrawing from the UCI world tour. That's the Tour, the Vuelta, Paris-Roubaix, LBL and other races.

I have no idea what the practical implications of that are.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

peanut- posted:

Apparently ASO are withdrawing from the UCI world tour. That's the Tour, the Vuelta, Paris-Roubaix, LBL and other races.

I have no idea what the practical implications of that are.

Probably some of the shittier World Tour teams will get replaced with French teams

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
E: beaten, I can't read.

Premature fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 18, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

LordPants posted:

Probably some of the shittier World Tour teams will get replaced with French teams

This is exactly what will happen. Don't think Astana will be racing the tour anymore.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A lot of the news i've read is "ASO taking ball and going home and don't want the sport to be less reliant on them" I'm not sure exactly how that works but if so that's so fucknig french of them.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

This is exactly what will happen. Don't think Astana will be racing the tour anymore.

Good

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
If another sport I love is ruined by a split (see CART/IRL), I'm going to be so pissed.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

So it's a good thing then?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Euskatel riding Paris Roubaix was always funny

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

tylertfb posted:

If another sport I love is ruined by a split (see CART/IRL), I'm going to be so pissed.

Totally agree with this. Ugh

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

tylertfb posted:

It´s already ruined. I still like riding my bike though and catching a few races.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Bike racers are weird hosed up people but I still love watching all of it.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/katusha-doctor-warns-of-medication-and-alcohol-abuse-in-the-peloton/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Let's all just pray that we'll see the Luca in full flow again this spring (that's never going to happen, unfortunately). Gent Wevelgem was one of the best races in 2015.