Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it isn't a gps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

Okay, back on topic: So how come Kylo was able to sense Han's arrival on the Starkiller Base but doesn't notice him standing 50 feet away?

The Force lets you feel things out and will guide you but yeah ^ it's not a gps.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

SirPhoebos posted:

Okay, back on topic: So how come Kylo was able to sense Han's arrival on the Starkiller Base but doesn't notice him standing 50 feet away?

It's just like how Vader could sense Obi-Wan was around but not "oh I know where he is." In the EU Jedi and Sith sensed right where people were all the time, especially when they're other force users, but in the movies the best you can manage is a general sense of nearness and sensing when someone you love dies. Luke and Leia have the whole twin bond between two force sensitives thing going though, so if Luke's really trying he can send up the ol' mental distress signal, like he does in Empire.

It's also perfectly plausible that he did sense his father there, and just strolled out onto the dramatic walkway because he expected his father to approach him to try to get him to turn good.

Murvin
Jan 7, 2008
Jet-setter and raconteur

I've never seen Harrison Ford so drat happy and amicable in promo and interviews before, probably ever. I wonder how much of that is because after 40 years he got his wish with Han's demise and thinks he's finally free of it now? Or maybe the guy just legitimately enjoyed the work.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
My roommate pointed out Luke turned into anti-Capitalist philosopher Slavoj Zizek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS_Lzo4S8lA

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Murvin posted:

I've never seen Harrison Ford so drat happy and amicable in promo and interviews before, probably ever. I wonder how much of that is because after 40 years he got his wish with Han's demise and thinks he's finally free of it now? Or maybe the guy just legitimately enjoyed the work.

probably a mix. its one last hurrah for him as Han solo and plus he gets his wish and money.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Murvin posted:

Seeing all of the his appearances to promote the character for charity work related to the film and how happy he is when linked with that, I want to say it's out of genuine enjoyment of the experience.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Murvin posted:

Yeah according to Daisy Ridley on the last day of filming he gave an incredible speech to everyone.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah according to Daisy Ridley on the last day of filming he gave an incredible speech to everyone.

"gently caress you all, I'm outtie, Star Wars sucks."

--Harrison "Han" Ford

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Reading every single plot beat didn't do anything to ruin the movie. Things like Thumbs Up Robot and "THAT"S not how the FORCE works" were fantastic surprises.

And the "Because it's the right thing to do -" "You need a pilot"

".. I need a pilot"

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I was also kinda of annoyed that their were no OT aliens apart from ackbar and nien nunb. mostly because alot of the new designs were kinda lovely/generic apart from a couple.

If that circus-looking black and white wearing informer in Maz's bar had been a Twi'lek it would have redeemed something for me in that regard.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

NowonSA posted:

It's just like how Vader could sense Obi-Wan was around but not "oh I know where he is." In the EU Jedi and Sith sensed right where people were all the time, especially when they're other force users, but in the movies the best you can manage is a general sense of nearness and sensing when someone you love dies. Luke and Leia have the whole twin bond between two force sensitives thing going though, so if Luke's really trying he can send up the ol' mental distress signal, like he does in Empire.

It's also perfectly plausible that he did sense his father there, and just strolled out onto the dramatic walkway because he expected his father to approach him to try to get him to turn good.

Starkiller Base was also under Rebel Resistance attack with people being killed left, right and center so there was likely Force-overload plus Ren had to do his military job and protect the base so he was pre-occupied.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 19, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Handen posted:

If that circus-looking black and white wearing informer in Maz's bar had been a Twi'lek it would have redeemed something for me in that regard.

yeah where were all the aliens from the previous films? i wanst expecting a calvalcade of cameos but its kinda of disappointing. maybe in the next one or rogue one.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Keep in mind this film had a bunch of new characters to introduce because all the original Star Wars actors are in their 60s, at least, and we are lucky to have them back.

If they had nothing but random aliens like the pig guards show up it would be nothing but "I get that reference!" for 2 hours. We got Admiral Ackbar but that apparently wasn't enough.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah where were all the aliens from the previous films? i wanst expecting a calvalcade of cameos but its kinda of disappointing. maybe in the next one or rogue one.

The lovely werewolf from the Cantina was in Maz's place.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

HOLY poo poo. I had a great time. I'm seriously stoked that we still have a LOT of unanswered questions.

Who the living poo poo is Lor San Tekka supposed to be? Abrams said we'd all be really surprised at the reveal of who he actually is... then it didn't come. I'm stoked to find out

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
I really enjoyed the new characters. Finn, Rey and Kylo Ren are all nuanced enough to be interesting. Poe Dameron got almost no development, but I kind of like that at this stage - he's a super-competent 'hero of another story' type, it feels like the script was subverting the expectation for him to die at multiple times.

The only jarring note I noticed was that Finn has a battlefield trauma breakdown when he sees his squadmate gunned down in the intro battle. And later on in the film he's gladly shooting and impaling stormtroopers by the dozen.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Dexo posted:

Plus. the Jedi Code never said anything about not having sex. Just said attachments and love are bad.

NSA Sex is still very much in play for the Jedi.

And he abandoned and obviously didn't give a gently caress about his kid on a desert planet so that's cool too.
as we know from romantic comedies, however, NSA sex is never just NSA sex

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oxford_town posted:

I really enjoyed the new characters. Finn, Rey and Kylo Ren are all nuanced enough to be interesting. Poe Dameron got almost no development, but I kind of like that at this stage - he's a super-competent 'hero of another story' type, it feels like the script was subverting the expectation for him to die at multiple times.

The only jarring note I noticed was that Finn has a battlefield trauma breakdown when he sees his squadmate gunned down in the intro battle. And later on in the film he's gladly shooting and impaling stormtroopers by the dozen.

so what is the deal with finn. are stormtroopers just kidnapped from birth now. they say they arn't clones. that makes me wonder how long the first order has existed and how big it is. if he is janitorial duties why is he a stormtrooper during an assault.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 19, 2015

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

if he is janitorial duties why is he a stormtrooper during an assault.

That's the setup to a joke, but it doesn't make any actual sense.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This is an instance where I can say it was certainly a fine movie, but it didn't 'click' with me (though I should note, like I described in the non-spoiler thread, that I might have attended a particularly bad 3D screening that affected things). The movie felt like an odd appendage crudely attached to the original movies. All the elements were off, stuff like the creature and set designs (those things that seem to consist entirely of tentacles and teeth aboard Han and Chewie's tow ship feel all wrong, for instance; and the short alien character they meet at the bar looks and acts more like a character from a Pixar movie) , the pacing of the movie, cinematography and overall look - I feel bad because the crew obviously tried hard and you could definitely accuse me of just nitpicking, but the way they sometimes get so close without actually evoking "Star Wars" for me made it all the more frustrating.

Weirdly enough, there are times the movie reminded me more of Star Trek than Star Wars (one of them is how there seem to be a lot more humans and humanoid-type aliens, like the scene when Han and co. get confronted by two different teams of smugglers that were both completely human/humanoid (poo poo, one of those groups reminded me of klingons almost). It almost seems like a successor to Abrams' Star Trek movies, only this one got wrapped in a Star Wars skin.

That aside, I also didn't appreciate the teases, mysteries, and sequel hooks. I think making Rey's background a big missing puzzle piece created a distance between me and the character to the point I felt like the movie didn't have a protagonist. And the answer to "why aren't they showing Luke?" being "Because he essentially isn't in the loving movie but he'll be in the next one! (maybe)"....? No.

Argh, I don't want to be so negative. It's really not a bad movie. It just pushes certain buttons with me where I just can't work up any enthusiasm over it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

feedmyleg posted:

No matter who Rey's parents are, she'll be able to recognize them on sight. In her force flashback when she was left on Jakku she was absolutely old enough to remember what her parents looked like. So that rules out Han and Leia unless they abandoned her long before she got dumped on Jakku, and if Luke was her father (and knew about her) she would recognize him immediately and so there would be no point to hold off a reveal at the end of TFA.

If she's a Skywalker then she would have had to have been raised by her mother and dumped on Jakku, and likely Luke never knew her. In that case, her mother would absolutely have to be a big character in the next film.

Or she's just an abandoned kid with some rando lovely parents. Throw out whatever dumb theories you have about Palpatine or Dooku or whoever, because none of that is even close to have been implied by the film. The film did hint toward a Skywalker parentage, and Rey would have been old enough to recognize anyone but Luke.

So where is the question of Luke being Rey's father coming from? I thought it was all pretty much spelled out without stating it (or didn't they actually state it during the scene where she came across the lightsaber the first time?).

I'm sure i remember the dialogue going "it was you father's and his father's before him" or something like that and when they're talking about waiting for the person to come back, Rey specifically mentions Luke but the little alien lady says it's actually about her going to find him rather than the other way around.

I really don't think it's too complex. Leia/Solo/Luke go off and have families after the end of RotJ. Kylo Ren (Ben) is born first and goes to train with Luke when he starts to rebuild the Jedi and Rey is born sometime after (so is a few years younger than Ben). Kylo Ren betrays Luke and destroy's what he's doing but Luke escapes and hides his daughter on some backwater planet (just like he was) so that she's hidden from her super evil cousin and doesn't get dragged into all this force nonsense that he's now jaded with.

I think that's why Kylo Ren perked up a bit when he heard "girl" at the beginning, because he knows he's got a younger female skywalker cousin and through force nonsense he probably had a gut feeling the mysterious girl showing up to gently caress things about in a stupidly unnatural and awesome way was probably her.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm kind of guessing that the blowing up of the Republic Capital Worlds is kind of like a Pearl Harbor-type event going into the next movie. I'm guessing one of the other planets was the main Republic fleet HQ, hence why only the Resistance were in any position to attack Starkiller base. The Republic's going to be in some disarray, but I believe they mention in some of the tie-in books apparently the New Republic had a habit of occasionally relocating its capital, so it might not decapitate the Republic completely. Most likely Leia will take command and the Republic & resistance will mere into a single entity - because hey, the First Order blew up their capital, that's a cassus belli anyone could get behind. So they'll be able to have large-scale space battles with the First Order in the sequels. So we'll get a bunch of shiny new spaceships to show up in the later movies alongside the shiny new X-Wings (my inner Star Wars sperg kind of wants t see them bring back some of the EU ships that looked cool, but new stuff is just as good if not better).

Presumably the First Order are going to make some major gains in the power vacuum, kind of how Imperial Japan won a bunch of victories after Pearl Harbor, but Our Heroes will manage to keep them at bay for the Republic to strike back.

In fact, the sneering contempt for the Republic expressed by Hux kind of dovetails with some of the views held by actual fascists of liberal democracies - that they're ultimately cowardly and inferior to their own ideology.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

oxford_town posted:

That is a fair complaint. Maybe he just began to consider them brainwashed lost causes. Most people probably don't randomly break out of their brainwashing the way he did.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Zoran posted:

Real world soldiers have assigned duties when they're not deployed for combat too.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Grimace posted:

That is a fair complaint. Maybe he just began to consider them brainwashed lost causes. Most people probably don't randomly break out of their brainwashing the way he did.

He's also fighting to preserve his own life and freedom at that point. We have every reason to think that if the First Order didn't kill him on the spot they'd probably capture him, torture him for information, and then kill him.

We have no reason to believe he's having a good time doing it.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Epsiode 8's twist is that Rey is Kylo's brother not cousin. Swerved!

Also why is there a secret Resistance force fighting the First Order instead of the Republic, or the Republic members? Why can't the senate just say, "gently caress off with this bullshit again" instead?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
And he watches them all gun down civilians without a thought in the film's opening. Since he opens fire on the ones actively shooting at him first, it's probably fair to say he's decided at that point that they're monsters.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What if she is the grand daughter of the Emperor? That'd be a pretty good loving reason to hide her away. Plus then it would be grand son vs grand daughter.

It'd also explain a lot of the visions.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zoran posted:

i guess i assume he is still lying, but why lie at that point. its not like he was chief executioner of the new order.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Real world soldiers have assigned duties when they're not deployed for combat too.

probably this.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Remember one of the first trailers where you hear "The force is strong in my family... My father has it, I have it, my sister has it, you have that power too."

That's obviously Luke talking to Rey, but it isn't in this movie. And I'd like to think that if Luke is saying those words to Rey and using the words "My father, my sister," etc., that Rey isn't in the Skywalker lineage or he'd use words like "your grandpa, your aunt," but then again Leia and Han were all like "OUR SON, BLAH BLAH OUR SON, WHAT'S HIS NAME? I FORGET, BUT WE HAVE A SON, AND HE'S OURS," so I can almost expect everyone to be talking in the third-person about everything in the next movie and literally nothing is going to make any sense anymore.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Finn prison shanking the stormtropper with the lightersaber was the highlight of the film.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

doomisland posted:

Finn prison shanking the stormtropper with the lightersaber was the highlight of the film.

Nah. Highlight of the film is BB-8 giving a thumbs up.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Mitchicon posted:

Nah. Highlight of the film is BB-8 giving a thumbs up.

Im so conflicted

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Handen posted:

Remember one of the first trailers where you hear "The force is strong in my family... My father has it, I have it, my sister has it, you have that power too."

That's obviously Luke talking to Rey, but it isn't in this movie. And I'd like to think that if Luke is saying those words to Rey and using the words "My father, my sister," etc., that Rey isn't in the Skywalker lineage or he'd use words like "your grandpa, your aunt," but then again Leia and Han were all like "OUR SON, BLAH BLAH OUR SON, WHAT'S HIS NAME? I FORGET, BUT WE HAVE A SON, AND HE'S OURS," so I can almost expect everyone to be talking in the third-person about everything in the next movie and literally nothing is going to make any sense anymore.

He said the same thing to Leia in the same way when he was letting her know they were siblings.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Raffles posted:

Epsiode 8's twist is that Rey is Kylo's brother not cousin. Swerved!

Also why is there a secret Resistance force fighting the First Order instead of the Republic, or the Republic members? Why can't the senate just say, "gently caress off with this bullshit again" instead?

Prequels - Too much information on politics
Sequels - Too little information on politics.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

ShimSham posted:

Prequels - Too much information on politics
Sequels - Too little information on politics.

Episodes X-XII will be Luke's granddaughter, Jedi Attorney at Law.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought BB-8 was flicking Finn off, to be honest. Though that might be me reading too much of R2's personality into him.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I thought BB-8 was flicking Finn off, to be honest. Though that might be me reading too much of R2's personality into him.

I think BB-8 is a little more timid and sweet, while R2 is a spunky little rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I figured BB-8 and R2D2 were related somehow. Maybe uncle and nephew?

• Locked thread