Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
That could be its own thread really, "PYF Power mad mods." Was always crazy when you'd be on a board dedicated SPECIFICALLY to something, like Silent Hill and getting banned for talking about Pyramid Head because he promoted "rape culture" and even more bizarrely getting banned from a Friday The 13th forum for saying I hated the Muppet show "Fraggle Rock"

But anyway, for something on topic, lest I get probated... :haw:

Really gone off Binding of Isaac since the Afterbirth DLC. Donated enough to Greed mode to get "Everything is terrible 2" and it's just a boring chore now. Especially the levelled Ultra Greed boss fight. I can get behind the fact that you level up to destroy his hearts/keys/bombs/minions quickly instead of killing him, but at the same time you still end up plinking away at him forever and it's dull as hell.

Of course being the mug I am I bought Rebirth again for the Xbox 1 and I'm enjoying it immensely. When I get overpowered I feel it and that's half the fun for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I was really curious about The Secret World but never bothered getting into it, probably still won't. Honestly I'm impressed it's still going. That christmas update sounds pretty rad though, was trying to place Macready's name before it was explained.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

NotAnArtist posted:

I was really curious about The Secret World but never bothered getting into it, probably still won't. Honestly I'm impressed it's still going. That christmas update sounds pretty rad though, was trying to place Macready's name before it was explained.
I'm the same, it sounds like a really interesting game bogged down by poo poo MMO trappings and combat, which is a huge shame

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm the same, it sounds like a really interesting game bogged down by poo poo MMO trappings and combat, which is a huge shame

It sounds like it's improved since the lead game directors changed. Joel Bylos was a thing dragging the game down something fierce. He left and the new person rebalanced combat to make it go quicker, made a couple run speed upgrades, put templates on the runs so you can have a hoverboard or a skate board, and has brought on some changes to long existing bugs. For me at least those changes came too late and I just can't be assed to play anymore which is a shame because I really love the story and would like to see how Tokyo ended but :effort:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The combat was never good but it was at least SLIGHTLY more interesting than the standard WoW style ability cool down system. It goes on sale for like $15 all the time and doesn't have subscription fees so I jumped in a while back and had some fun with it. It's one of those games I hardly ever play now but keep installed just in case.

Some of the puzzle quests are awesome, too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I was a little disappointed that while technically being modern, the game's zones are sleepy New England that may as well be the 70s, ancient Egypt and Transylvania.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Not Operator posted:

I got probated on the WoW boards for mentioning a quest called "Shizzle's Flier" or something, because some mod decided shizzle meant poo poo. Then I got banned for calling them idiot babies while contesting it. They also had some weirdly specific rules about how you were supposed to censor yourself, like f*** was okay, but f**k wasn't.

It might be off topic, but GameFAQS swear policy was a amazingly dumb.

I used to be banned from the WoW forums for linking to WoWGoons.com, since the mods were dumb enough to think it was a real site asking for money.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Speaking of WoW, they just started up the Christmas event for this year. Among other things, they've introduced the opportunity to get two unique cosmetic weapon enchants from a present!

...A present you can only get one of per character per year. :suicide: (Though the silver lining is that they're confirmed to be account-wide in the next expansion)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Aphrodite posted:

I was a little disappointed that while technically being modern, the game's zones are sleepy New England that may as well be the 70s, ancient Egypt and Transylvania.

Well, they do now have Tokyo in the wake of a Shin Megami Tensei-style apocalypse. They do really well with the modernism there, although I'll grant that area's characters are a little more outrageous than I like from a whole zone, there''s no 'normal people' left.

I'd say give it a shot if you're on the fence. It's got problems, and it doesn't entirely overcome the MMO trappings it could probably do without, but it's well-written and it brings some neat mechanical ideas that, while it doesn't really excel at, it does well enough that it's not a downside.

It also has a boss fight against what I think is the ghost of Bob Saget's career.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

I'm personally partial to the Battle Scenarios guide for Super Smash Bros. Melee, which is less of a guide than it is a collection of half-baked fanfiction ideas. It's also significantly larger than any of the other guides available for Melee.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Regalingualius posted:

Speaking of WoW, they just started up the Christmas event for this year. Among other things, they've introduced the opportunity to get two unique cosmetic weapon enchants from a present!

...A present you can only get one of per character per year. :suicide: (Though the silver lining is that they're confirmed to be account-wide in the next expansion)

One per character that is at least lvl 90.
Can't take your lvl 60,70 or 80 through it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

ChogsEnhour posted:

That could be its own thread really, "PYF Power mad mods." Was always crazy when you'd be on a board dedicated SPECIFICALLY to something, like Silent Hill and getting banned for talking about Pyramid Head because he promoted "rape culture" and even more bizarrely getting banned from a Friday The 13th forum for saying I hated the Muppet show "Fraggle Rock"

But anyway, for something on topic, lest I get probated... :haw:

Power-mad Mods and Silent Hill you say?

https://storify.com/jasperrolls/the-silent-hill-wiki-circumcision-meltdown-of-2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Well, they do now have Tokyo in the wake of a Shin Megami Tensei-style apocalypse. They do really well with the modernism there, although I'll grant that area's characters are a little more outrageous than I like from a whole zone, there''s no 'normal people' left.

I'd say give it a shot if you're on the fence. It's got problems, and it doesn't entirely overcome the MMO trappings it could probably do without, but it's well-written and it brings some neat mechanical ideas that, while it doesn't really excel at, it does well enough that it's not a downside.

It also has a boss fight against what I think is the ghost of Bob Saget's career.

It also only came out after everyone quit.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

pro fuckin click right here

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Highlights, please?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Highlights, please?

OK, here’s what we’ve got: the Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people, under the supervision of the reverse vampires, are forcing sheeple to circumcise babies in a fiendish plot to eliminate men. We’re through the looking glass here, people…

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Highlights, please?

-Someone points out to noted Silent Hill LPer VoidBurger that some loonie is editing in anti-circumcision rants into the article for one of the characters from 4.

-It turns out that said loonie is the head admin of the wiki.

-What follows is a spiraling descent into madness as he outs himself as a conspiracy theorist, radical fundamentalist, etc. for all the world to see.

-He doubles triples keeps going down for keeping the circumcision stuff, even after all of the other admins point out he's literally the only person in support of keeping it, and ends up blocking all of them after they jump on him for demanding to know whether one of them had her son circumcised.

-The admins for the entire wikia system have to get involved, and block him completely from the entire wikia network (since he'd started spreading his ranting to wikis for other games).

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I skimmed most of that article intially but hoooooooooooooly poo poo was that entertaining

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
loving. Crisp.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lizard Wizard posted:

Highlights, please?

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Hmm, a forest, like women used to have in the 60s and 70s, when AlexSheppard reports circumcision was at its peak. Coincidence?? Really makes you think.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aphrodite posted:

It also only came out after everyone quit.

That's underselling The Whispering Tide event. When I get to a computer I can elaborate but it basically was an event that was supposed to kick start Tokyo only they launched it and then there were delays and delays and delays so what was supposed to be like a month or two ended up being sixish.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Hmm, a forest, like women used to have in the 60s and 70s, when AlexSheppard reports circumcision was at its peak. Coincidence?? Really makes you think.

That's "foreskin", buddy.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Crossposting from a GBS thread:

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

in the inventory of a random NPC that has no other connection to anything or anyone in the world and never gives you any indication at all that they have the item and doesn't offer any possible means of getting it from them except murder

actually, do this several times, because it's such a cool thing to do

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Shotherra
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Erundil
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Gluronk_gra-Shula
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Dro%27Zaymar

strictly speaking that last guy is connected to a fighter's guild quest but I don't think the fighter's guild questline is usually concurrent with the morag tong for most people

For the quest these are attached to, you have to find and collect 26 relatively innocuous enchanted items. 22 are found while you're doing other quests, and 4 of them have no hints to there locations whatsoever. None of the enchantments are that great, so unless you know about the quest you're probably just going to pass up or sell the item instead of holding onto it. This is a Morag Tong quest, which not many players even bothered with because they're the assassins of the game. Joining up with them will lock you out of a bunch of other questlines, since they have you killing everybody. But, the reward for doing it?

quote:

Once you turn in all 27 Sanguine items to Eno Hlaalu, you are rewarded with Mephala's Skill, a cheap spell that grants Chameleon 50 pts and Fortify Attack 10 pts for 60 seconds for 30 magicka and never fails. This is the only way of acquiring the Fortify Attack effect for creating custom spells.

In gameplay terms, what fortify attack means is that it increases your chance to hit. Morrowind doesn't work like the later Elder Scrolls games where all you have to do is connect an attack with the monster, because that would be too easy. Instead, after you attack, the game rolls a d20 in the background to determine if you hit. At the higher levels it isn't so bad, even though you still have a 5% chance of missing no matter what, but at the lower levels it's atrocious. When you just start the game out you'll find yourself wailing at monsters over and over, with maybe every one in ten hits actually connecting. Now, there are a few other places where you can find something to give you the fortify attack effect, but this is the only place where you can learn how to cast it yourself. As they said, this means you can create custom spells with it -- which is the only way to give yourself fortify attack 100 points. Since it's a flat percentage increase, this means that at its max level you can't miss. As far as I know this is the only way in the entire game to get a guaranteed hit chance for your weapons.

They fixed the garbage combat system in the game, but they hid it behind a quest that few players will ever find and practically nobody will ever complete. :allears:

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Roro posted:

That's "foreskin", buddy.

I thought it said "forest in here" too.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Congratulations on not being able to read. You're not going to know what this post means so potato potato potato

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
:eyepop: I'm amazed by that Intactivist (thank you Internet for that term) meltdown, it just goes on and on and every time another admin came in and tried to reason with the dude he'd insult them and double down.

The best was once he realized the wikia staff was going to get involved he immediately tried to frame himself as the reasonable one - "well I'm just having a discussion here, but if you want to be rude we should drop it for now". It's the most transparent attempt at avoiding consequences, especially on a wiki where poo poo is archived. I bet he honestly thought that he'd just be able to point to that when they showed up and wikia would be like "you did your best to defuse the situation, therefore we'll ban everyone being mean to you".

Really, what the gently caress?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Well that certainly hits the ground running.

fake edit: Which one of these is not like the other.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Bestiality?

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

Yeah, I must've played a different version of Xenogears cause I don't remember that either.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Chu-Chu the temptress.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Lemon Curry?

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

mycot posted:

Well that certainly hits the ground running.

fake edit: Which one of these is not like the other.

Actually, that brainwashing one also seems to go on a completely nutty rant, especially considering nobody is pro-mind-control.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Actually, that brainwashing one also seems to go on a completely nutty rant, especially considering nobody is pro-mind-control.

The brainwashing one is at least some sort of attempt at an explanation of how brainwashing works, as opposed to Satanist Illuminati Jews and their conspiracy to mutilate penises.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I think it was also by him

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The funny thing is that circumcision is more or less unheard of in Japan (or really the rest of the world because non-religious circumcision is almost entirely because of the idea that masturbation was an illness that could be cured with circumcision and that was restricted more or less exclusively to America in the early 1900s) which makes the idea of a Japanese dev caring about foreskins that much more improbable and ridiculous.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Sleeveless posted:

The funny thing is that circumcision is more or less unheard of in Japan (or really the rest of the world because non-religious circumcision is almost entirely because of the idea that masturbation was an illness that could be cured with circumcision and that was restricted more or less exclusively to America in the early 1900s) which makes the idea of a Japanese dev caring about foreskins that much more improbable and ridiculous.

I love how the English Translator for SH4 is actually friends with Voidburger, and throughout that page detailing the meltdown you see tweets from him basically saying "What the hell is this?! I can't even..."

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ChogsEnhour posted:

I actually support this idea. Wasn't SailorBacon one of those kinds of mods on GameFAQs around the time of the Gamespot acquisition of GameFAQs?

Pope Guilty posted:

I used to be banned from the WoW forums for linking to WoWGoons.com, since the mods were dumb enough to think it was a real site asking for money.

A thousand clams for a legendary weapon??? :wtc: I think I used to be on WoWGoons a long time ago (before the Pandaria expansion), but never thought there was a racket for something like that. That seems like a massive financial troll.

Holy poo poo, I think I remember reading this back in the day. :psyduck:

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 22:58 on Dec 19, 2015

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Sleeveless posted:

Uh a little thing called "Death of the Author"? Anything means anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

I love how the English Translator for SH4 is actually friends with Voidburger, and throughout that page detailing the meltdown you see tweets from him basically saying "What the hell is this?! I can't even..."

Wasn't he translator of 2 and writer of 3 or 4?

• Locked thread