Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Yeah don't stand there by the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Why back muscle? Also if I'm reading right you just have to "get to the Throne" with no rhino skin/strong spirit.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

oddium posted:

i don't really value melting's throne butt that much. it definitely beats a lot of other mutations but if i see like scarier face or bolt marrow or back muscle it can wait

Melting throne butt is literally the best non-ultra mutation in the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

For melting's B skin you want hammerhead. Seriously, get hammerhead. When one hit from basically anything is all it takes to lose, getting hosed over by a middle finger of a level is even more of a death sentence than usual, and hammerhead lets you get around it by making your own safe zone. Melee weapons are also extremely helpful. If you can get a golden wrench, definitely use that.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
I was mistaken about that, and earlier I was confusing Sharp Teeth with Gamma Guts. And I made the assumption semi-auto weapons had no reload time (which by the way, what's the distinction between this and rate of fire ???). Sorry.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Reload time and rate of fire are basically the same thing (just inverse). How long until you can shoot/swing again.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

TheModernAmerican posted:

Melting throne butt is literally the best non-ultra mutation in the game.

i'd rather take scarier face

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
Right, I guess what I was asking is does Y.V prefer guns with high rate of fire or ones with low reload speed. His passive is goofy if it applies positive and negative modifiers to the same stat (attack speed) so I figured it wouldn't.

oh haha that only applies to his special. lord I am a mess tonight

MPLS to NOLA fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 18, 2015

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

oddium posted:

i'd rather take scarier face

Scarier face is a really good mutation if you don't loop regularly. Once you start doing that your builds overkill most of the enemies so scarier face doesn't matter outside of the throne fight. I take impact wrists over face now.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

MPLS to NOLA posted:

Right, I guess what I was asking is does Y.V prefer guns with high rate of fire or ones with low reload speed. His passive is goofy if it applies positive and negative modifiers to the same stat (attack speed) so I figured it wouldn't.

With YV you can pick one based off the mutations you're offered. Trigger fingers and throne butt make slow weapons better, but if you don't get them high fire rate weapons are probably the way to go.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

oddium posted:

i don't really value melting's throne butt that much. it definitely beats a lot of other mutations but if i see like scarier face or bolt marrow or back muscle it can wait
Once you get Ultra A throne butt is absolutely the #1 most important thing to have as melting(besides strong spirit/rhino skin).

TheModernAmerican posted:

Scarier face is a really good mutation if you don't loop regularly. Once you start doing that your builds overkill most of the enemies so scarier face doesn't matter outside of the throne fight. I take impact wrists over face now.
Yeah, on loop impact wrists is absolutely more important than scarier face. Especially with CoB. On most levels, anyways. It's a bit less valuable on caves

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 18, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

3rd tournament is live, technical problems already :w00t:

http://www.twitch.tv/SmiteTV

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm glad everyone is getting bodied by lil hunter

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
How does this tournament work? I saw a guy not doing so hot (failed to screwdriver rats and died on 2-1).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Whoever beats the throne 3 times first wins, so they're speedrunning(which can lead to dumb deaths). However, once the timer on the bottom runs out they don't get to click retry anymore and if neither of them has won yet it's who got the farthest.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Whoever is playing turned off screenshake and thats pretty lame in my opinion. I guess unless the torunament is over and I'm confused.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 19, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, it's over. They're hosting someone else.

I'd recommend turning off screenshake tbh

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

IronicDongz posted:

I'd recommend turning off screenshake tbh

You can just turn it down to like 20% and save your eyeballs while still having the screen shake experience.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Any sort of race or tourney should have 200% screenshake mandatory

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Turning screenshake completely off is against the spirit of the game and should make you ineligible for achievements while branding your character with a giant scarlet S to emphasize your shame if you're streaming.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Turning screenshake completely off is against the spirit of the game and should make you ineligible for achievements while branding your character with a giant scarlet S to emphasize your shame if you're streaming.

Well...I mean...it should actually be a scarlet S

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't use screen shake and don't like how it looks, but others do so good on the dev's for making an option.

What I don't like is that my plant was unlocked back when it was 'get kills' and it's been grandfathered in and I feel like I've sort of missed something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
YV has always still used the screenshake on his alt-fire even when you have screenshake set to off and I think I might be the only human being who noticed/cares about this.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't use screen shake and don't like how it looks, but others do so good on the dev's for making an option.

What I don't like is that my plant was unlocked back when it was 'get kills' and it's been grandfathered in and I feel like I've sort of missed something.

It's now 'get to the frozen city' so it's one of the easier ones. Chicken is probably the hardest to unlock now, strangely.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Does anyone know what causes glitched crown portals to appear, or if there's any way to predict them? Starting to get really annoyed by running into them when looping. Probably going to wait until the next patch before picking this game up again... atm the game honestly feels buggier than it did in early access.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Apologies if this has been asked before, but the game has stopped accepting my controller. I can't set it to gamepad in the options menu, and if I press G, it says it's on gamepad, but won't actually accept any inputs. I've looked it up online, and all I'm getting is that its an issue with mac, but I'm on PC.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but in co-op if you have one person on a gamepad and one person with a M+KB, EVERY time the player with a controller moves or aims, the entire screen moves around as well, and keeps the mouse/keyboard player's reticle in the same spot...which means you're no longer aiming at the same thing. Not sure if that happens when you have two gamepads or not, but that should reaaaaally be fixed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Co-op is pretty much completely annoying and unplayable, which is a shame because it's one of the reasons I bought the game!

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm really trying to like this game but I keep getting dumped in the middle of unwinnable situations in 9 runs out of 10. It feels like the game is giving me a gigantic middle finger, all the time.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Tetracube posted:

I'm really trying to like this game but I keep getting dumped in the middle of unwinnable situations in 9 runs out of 10. It feels like the game is giving me a gigantic middle finger, all the time.

This game is really about throwing a ton of information at you at once and then giving you fractions of a second to make the best (or least bad) choice and then doing that again and again until the level ends or you die. The game doesn't usually start you in no-win positions (at least not pre-loop) but you can definitely put yourself in them. Don't overextend trying to pick up stuff and make sure you know what you're walking into. The more you play the more little things you'll internalize, which will allow you to handle more and more complex situations. It can also be useful to watch other people play, since you can see the decisions they make under pressure without the stress of playing yourself. SleepCycles is a good person to start with, he's not "the best" but he's been playing since it went into early access, and does a good job talking about the game while he plays. Here's a video he did at launch to serve as an introduction to playing the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzsb5pQUgOI.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I can pretty much guarantee you that those situations you find yourself in 9 times out of 10 are survivable. I say this because I went from dying preloop just about every game to getting past the throne just about every game, learning to identify the situation you're in and react quickly is a lot of the learning curve in this game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sometimes the game does just decide "gently caress it your run is over now" and present you with horseshit. Such is the case of randomly generated games though.

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004
It's for that very reason they added the Hammerhead mutation. Take it. Every run.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

CJacobs posted:

Co-op is pretty much completely annoying and unplayable, which is a shame because it's one of the reasons I bought the game!

Yeah, I love co-op in games like Spelunky and Isaac, and it's really fun in this game too, but obviously still needs some work. I even noticed that recently they changed the "FRIENDSHIP EDITION" on their website to only mention 2-player co-op. As of maybe a couple weeks ago it still said "4-player co-op" but I guess they've given up on that now.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Tetracube posted:

sounds like your game is glitching out 1 time in 10 op

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol nevermind, since posting that I beat the throne twice. I almost looped the second time but it turns out the nuke launcher's homing is a piece of poo poo and it will do a 180 degree turn to avoid hitting the generator you shoot it at

I guess I just had astoundingly bad luck because I started most snowy city levels in an area full of enemies and no cover every time, but now it's consistently starting me in corridors? Sure, ok

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It doesn't home. It's guided and moves toward the cursor.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Welp

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I love every time people find that out.

Also as far as I'm concerned now that explo freaks/exploding cars won't be on top of you at spawn anymore and blow you up instantly, there is no such thing as an unwinnable spawn preloop. At the very least I've never seen one in person in hundreds of hours of play or on video despite hearing people talk about them all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

Also as far as I'm concerned now that explo freaks/exploding cars won't be on top of you at spawn anymore and blow you up instantly, there is no such thing as an unwinnable spawn preloop. At the very least I've never seen one in person in hundreds of hours of play or on video despite hearing people talk about them all the time.
Cursed crystal caves can tend to throw unwinnable spawns at you if you don't have the right mutations for it (aka hammerhead), you can get start off surrounded by cursed laser crystals, with the entire level covered in webs if you're unlucky enough. It's your fault if you decide to do that level without being prepared for it, though.

The nasty part is how that level restricts your movement. Even if you don't start on top of webs, you can't go anywhere near the laser crystals because they can teleport on top of you without warning and happily instakill you.

• Locked thread