Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

ShimSham posted:

Prequels - Too much information on politics
Sequels - Too little information on politics.
Even Ep. IV had none of that save: there's a resistance/rebellion; Luke hates the Empire; and the Emperor dissolved the senate halfway through the movie.

I don't get all the whining about politics in Ep. VII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol i still cannot get over people thinking the little droid that just helped him is flipping him off in response to a thumbs up when it's obviously giving him a thumbs up back. i hate the internet.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol i still cannot get over people thinking the little droid that just helped him is flipping him off in response to a thumbs up when it's obviously giving him a thumbs up back. i hate the internet.

Yeah, I'm finding that pretty funny too - and the comment earlier (maybe in the other thread; can't remember) about the goon's friend who thought that the reason Leia picked up on Rey's sadness because of the Force still has me giggling a bit. But they are sad giggles.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Concurred posted:

Even Ep. IV had none of that save: there's a resistance/rebellion; Luke hates the Empire; and the Emperor dissolved the senate halfway through the movie.

I don't get all the whining about politics in Ep. VII

The point is that the politics of Episode 4 are incredibly clear because they're simple and have no story baggage: there's an Evil Empire that controls most of the galaxy, and a plucky Rebellion making a valiant last stand against them. Tyrannical government and heroic insurgents. Done.

At the end of Episode 6, the Empire is beaten. In the Special Edition, which is now canonical, we see everybody celebrating in the streets of Coruscant - the capital world of the Empire. The impression is that with Palpatine's death and the catastrophic defeat they suffered, the Imperium is done, and Episode 7 basically confirms it by telling us there's a new Republic.

Are the First Order Imperial remnants or a military coup against the New Republic? Why can't the New Republic openly support the Resistance? Why do we even NEED a Resistance; doesn't the New Republic have an army? If they're demilitarizing, as I think one line of dialogue suggests, why?

Basically, we wanna know what the gently caress has been going on with anybody other than Han and Luke for the last 30 years.

Baku fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 19, 2015

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Basically, we wanna know what the gently caress has been going on with anybody other than Han and Luke for the last 30 years.

Also, trade agreements and of course the banking clan. Not to mention the growing number of problems stemming from the subprime ship loan crisis.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Pretty sure the "My father has it, my sister has it - you have it" in the trailer is the actual sound clip from ROTJ

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vehementi posted:

Pretty sure the "My father has it, my sister has it - you have it" in the trailer is the actual sound clip from ROTJ

It was re-recorded.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How predictable is the movie that when they reveal that Kylo is Han and Leia's kid, my first thought was "I bet Han or Leia bites the dust"

Strayer
May 19, 2006

Are the First Order Imperial remnants or a military coup against the New Republic? Why can't the New Republic openly support the Resistance? Why do we even NEED a Resistance; doesn't the New Republic have an army? If they're demilitarizing, as I think one line of dialogue suggests, why?

The way I read it, sometime after all the star wars had concluded and the Rebellion had become a stable New Republic, they adopted a defensive policy. Rather than actively move to confront the Imperial Remnants turned First Order, they decided to establish their borders and figured that the First Order would stay on their side of the line. Either the Resistance was established as a black bag operation by the New Republic to control or reduce the threat of the First Order without serious Republic commitment, or it's a rogue operation being conducted by idealists like Leia who see the threat the First Order poses and refuse to sit idly by while they consolidate and plan.

Basically, imagine the post WW1 period of appeasement coupled with the Resistance as some Cold War style shenanigans.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its not he says it almost fully but it's I have it , my father has it, and then something like It's you leia

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I was actually surprised how eager I was for the plot to move past Han and Leia, even though I thought Ford did a good job outside of those scenes. The casting was tremendous, Fin, Rey, Kylo, nazi general and Poe were all great.

I think my favorite persistent theme in Star Wars is no matter how powerful you are as a Jedi, the force is going to find you and give you someone to train, whether you like it or not. Kenobi, Yoda and Luke all go into hiding on remote planets while keeping a low profile but there's ultimately nowhere to hide, even Luke's lightsaber will track him from across the loving galaxy no matter where he leaves it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Bb8 was flipping Rey off

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Also it is clearly a thumbs up since we established he doesn't understand beep boop talk, that's his way of communicating with Fin.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
We'll have to get Bill Hader to answer.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I loving loved it. That was incredible. One of my favorite parts was how they showed Rey flying the Falcon in the desert chase. She was pulling levers, reaching all around the cockpit. It seemed like actual flying, as opposed to the OT. Very cool.

My main complaint is that I wish the pacing was slowed down a bit to add more character development of the two new leads. But this is still my favorite movie of 2015 and I was blown away.

I wish I could remember the first time I watched the OT, but I have seen it so many times from a young age that I have no memory of watching it and seeing the story unfold. It's more like I've just always known the story. So this was the most enjoyable Star Wars watching experience I have ever had.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i hope scone actually is a giant

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
He's actually 5000000 stories tall. The last battle in IX will revolve around flying X-Wings up his nose.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

porfiria posted:

He's actually 5000000 stories tall. The last battle in IX will revolve around flying X-Wings up his nose.

X-Wings have to torpedo Snoke's "exhaust port."

I need to step away from the internet for a while.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

so there's no way Snoke isn't darth plagueis right? Wise, all powerful Munn sith lord who happens to look identical to the apparently still-canon appearance of Plagueis, his musical theme is nearly identical to the piece that plays in the opera in III when Palpatine is telling Anakin about him.

on the other hand, palpatine says he killed him and he always seemed like a guy who'd know for a fact whether or not he killed a guy. but then the whole point of palpatine's story was to tell Anakin about how Plagueis supposedly had the power to save people from death. but still, where would he have been this whole time? just chilling?

i can't decide if snoke being plagueis would be more or less contrived than snoke just being some super powerful sith who just appeared out of nowhere

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Did anyone catch that line about Clone Troopers early in the film? I think it was just when Finn defected.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Plaguius could have done all sorts of fancy things with his "control over life and death" to trick sidious

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

Did anyone catch that line about Clone Troopers early in the film? I think it was just when Finn defected.

Yes.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Rough Lobster posted:

What did it say?

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

I did catch a small quip in reference to the starkiller base that the doomsday lasers traveled through hyperspace (at at least mentioned "hyper" when referencing it), so I assume the base wasn't actually in the same system as all the republic planets that bit the dust.

That and when they're observing the destruction from the tavern, it's during the day, so I assume the sun there is still around and hasn't been eaten by the base.

There just seems to be some confusion here about that whole element. They saw the laser and the other planets getting destroyed, which were all in the same system, and that the base was in an adjacent system/other location having ate that systems sun (or already had a charge built from elsewhere).

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
where did the blue lightsaber come from? didnt luke drop it at bespin when his hand got chopped?

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

thathonkey posted:

where did the blue lightsaber come from? didnt luke drop it at bespin when his hand got chopped?

Yea, from Bespin. The movie makes it clear that that is a story piece for another time. Likely Ep VIII

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

89 posted:

What did it say?

I believe it was mentioned that their division (big silver stormtrooper ladies) specifically avoided clones, whereas other divisions may not.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

The point is that the politics of Episode 4 are incredibly clear because they're simple and have no story baggage: there's an Evil Empire that controls most of the galaxy, and a plucky Rebellion making a valiant last stand against them. Tyrannical government and heroic insurgents. Done.

At the end of Episode 6, the Empire is beaten. In the Special Edition, which is now canonical, we see everybody celebrating in the streets of Coruscant - the capital world of the Empire. The impression is that with Palpatine's death and the catastrophic defeat they suffered, the Imperium is done, and Episode 7 basically confirms it by telling us there's a new Republic.

Force Awakens was told mostly from Rey (and a little Finn)'s point of view. She is the audience. Rey has been living on this desert planet since she was a child and knows only what little news of the rest of the galaxy that others passed onto her as stories. The audience only knows a little from the new canon and the trailers.

There's a Republic and a Resistance fighting a First Order and they're related to the old Empire and Rebel Alliance.

And just like Luke in ANH she (and we) suddenly gets drawn into this bigger world without fully understanding all the politics and history.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Mitchicon posted:

Yea, from Bespin. The movie makes it clear that that is a story piece for another time. Likely Ep VIII

so it probably fell to some planet and got retrieved? makes sense

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

How could it have fallen onto another planet unless Bespin has a bunch of planets inside its atmosphere for some reason? I'm betting on someone having recognised it and intercepted it. Or some kinda weird Lando retcon

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

sinking belle posted:

How could it have fallen onto another planet unless Bespin has a bunch of planets inside its atmosphere for some reason?

teh force

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

Bespin is a gaseous world, but perhaps it has a solid core with a lot of goodies to scavenge from all that tech floating above (and often falling down apparently)? I mean it doesn't seem all that unreasonable considering Star Wars physics.

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

Let this be our final battle!
I just got back from the movie and I have to say I was incredibly disappointed with the main villain (he was a terrible villain so I don't even remember his name). He was a whiny pathetic bitch who threw temper tantrums and was literally (and I mean literally) less threatening than a storm trooper with a shock baton. They should have taken more inspiration from Darth Vader and less from Anakin Skywalker.

Other than that I guess it was a decent enough action film. I am bothered by the fact that the good guys blew up an entire planet. Even if it was a weaponized planet there were almost certainly billions of innocent people on it who weren't even associated with the First Order.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Anybody else catch a double meaning in the first line of the film? It was something like "This is how we begin to set things right."

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

What indication is there that Anakin's lightsaber fell from Cloud City?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

sudo rm -rf posted:

What indication is there that Anakin's lightsaber fell from Cloud City?

In Empire Strikes Back, you actually do see it fall out of the same hole Luke falls out of when he grabs on to that weathervane thing.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 19, 2015

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I love the pacing. Nobody needs to stop the plot to explain why Rey is a gifted pilot/mechanic. Her intro shows her scavenging old Empire and Rebel ships, so she clearly learned her way around them through experience. There are tons of examples like this where lengthy exposition is eschewed in favor of visual information. The audience is assumed able of connecting dots, and the action can move quickly.

Lucas would have wasted a good 45 seconds explaining Rey's proficiencies in some pointless scene.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

To go back a few pages yeah Ren lost the saber duel when he found the interrogation chair empty. His mojo waned.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The knock against Luke being Rey's father to me is that they just did that plot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Given that one of the central strengths of Luke's personality in the original trilogy was his relationship with his friends (to the point the emperor calls it his fault), it's going to be interesting seeing him deal with the consequences of abandoning them. By going into exile he essentially let the empire regrow, and wasn't there to prevent his best friends death. That's gotta sting a little. I wonder if we will see characters like Leia and Chewbacca mad at hi for this?

• Locked thread