Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Concurred posted:

Even Ep. IV had none of that save: there's a resistance/rebellion; Luke hates the Empire; and the Emperor dissolved the senate halfway through the movie.

I don't get all the whining about politics in Ep. VII

Agreed. There is 0 politics in the OT and it is better for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pox
Feb 16, 2015
I hope they dont answer how that lightsaber was recovered. Its better to imagine who and why someone would try to get it out of the middle of a gas giant.

COOLGUY TRUE
Jan 7, 2005

Too True! Cool, too.
gently caress this movie's ending. loving luke standing there like a stunned oval office- he might as well have turned to the camera and said "pay us another $15 in a year and a half folks"

i found it hard to not get stoked about this movie on some deep level that touches my childhood. there are things that work about this movie, but overall I feel honestly let down, like the filmmakers thought i had completely adolescent expectations of the film- and not in the way that episode 1 was "for kids" - at least it expanded on the universe and aesthetic of star wars in a way that felt big and interesting- this one felt small

having another BIGGER death star was stupid
han & leia both gave lovely performances
most of the sassy little comedy bits fell flat

when i walked out of the theatre I retroactively started disliking the whole thing more because of the terrible taste the inane cliffhanger left in my mouth.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rey pulled levers on the MF just like Anakin in TPM imho.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

God of Evil Cows posted:

He was a whiny pathetic bitch who threw temper tantrums and was literally (and I mean literally) less threatening than a storm trooper with a shock baton.

Darth Vader had decades more experience. He probably kicked some poo poo around rooms when poo poo when wrong for at last few years after being partly consumed (dis-armed and de-feeted) by lava. Besides, Kylo Ren suffered from being torn between the light and the dark. He's chosen his side now, and should be a bit more threatening once he's no longer bleeding out from his side.

Regardless of the reasons, though, Darth Vader still basically defines "evil" for anyone born between 1975 and 1980. It's hard to think they'll ever top how imposing he was in the original trilogy.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Well that was pretty good

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It seems pretty unlikely that Finn could do so well against Kylo in his first ever lightsaber battle. He lands a pretty decent hit on Kylo before getting hosed up. Granted Kylo had just taken a direct bolt to the gut from rampage-Chewbacca

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
All of the stuff below is based on the books, comics, etc. that have come out after Disney bought Lucasflism and set off to establish a broader canon. It may not be 100% accurate, like I may have the timeframe wrong here and there for instance, but I'm sure the broad strokes are right. I'll also apply this info to the plot of the movie and make some educated guesses when needed. Hopefully this answers some common questions I've seen come up.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Are the First Order Imperial remnants or a military coup against the New Republic? If the Republic is demilitarizing, as I think one line of dialogue suggests, why?

The Empire still stays in power post RotJ with the celebrations we saw in the special edition quickly shut down. The Rebels win enough battles after that to have enough systems on their side/supporting them to reform the Republic (probably a few years after RotJ), the Empire gets into a lot of infighting with Moffs going after each other and naming so many Emperors that the title loses all meaning. The Republic manages to take control of Coruscant, but sets up its capital on a more remote world (presumably the world/system we see blown up in Force Awakens. The Republic and Empire get into one massive fight near Jakku (hence all the ships crashed into the surface there) that ends in a major victory for the Republic. The Republic and Empire sign a peace treaty and the Empire rebrands itself as the First Order and begins rebuilding.

The reason we don't see a ton of Republic ships is that shortly after the Republic forms, even before a peace treaty with the Empire, it strips the chancellor of the emergency powers that Palpatine created and demilitarizes to a significant degree. They basically keep one badass fleet and all the other planets are allowed to create, or are given, defense fleets of their own. You can picture it like the Republic controlling a VASTLY less powerful U.S. Army, and each of the planets acting as "states" with their own national guard units. I imagine the big fight at Jakku was a situation where they knew they were going to get a chance to throw down with the Empire for ~reasons~ and were able to muster together a lot of those planet-assigned fleets at once for one big fight.

So by the time we get to the movie the Republic is presumably running a good guy government and not killing its citizens left and right even if they happen to protest or disagree with them, but it has much more bureaucracy than the First Order and takes more time to take military action.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Why can't the New Republic openly support the Resistance? Why do we even NEED a Resistance; doesn't the New Republic have an army?

There's a lot of guess work here with me filling in the blanks, so my apologies for that.

The reason we don't see a ton of Republic ships is that shortly after the Republic forms, even before the peace treaty with the Empire, it strips the chancellor of the emergency powers that Palpatine created and demilitarizes to a significant degree. They basically keep one badass fleet and all the other planets are allowed to create, or are given, defense fleets of their own. You can picture it like the Republic controlling a VASTLY less powerful U.S. Army, and each of the planets acting as "states" with their own national guard units. This makes sense as a move to show that they are not the military focused Empire, and not trying to concentrate power under one central government. I imagine the big fight at Jakku was a situation where they knew they were going to get a chance to throw down with the Empire for ~reasons~ and were able to muster together a lot of those planet-assigned fleets at once for one big fight. By the time we get to the movie the Republic is presumably running a good guy government and not killing its citizens left and right even if they happen to protest or disagree with them, but it has much more bureaucracy than the First Order and takes more time to take military action. With the slower government and the destruction of the Senate/Capital I assume that the Republic is in disarray after the First Order's superweapon is fired, and the undamaged Resistance is the only group able to respond swiftly enough to prevent a second firing.

So that's the state of the general official Republic military, but even with a new name the Republic knows that the First Order is up to no good. So they form the Resistance as a black ops special forces organization in as clandestine a manner as possible and put a lot of their best people (Leia overseeing things, Ace Pilot Poe, etc.) into it. They get whatever support the Republic, or Republic planets, can sneak to them off the books. The Republic can't openly support the resistance because that would end the peace treaty, you can't be at peace and keep attacking the other side. Of course, given the resources of the Resistance it's clear to anyone with a brain that it's Republic backed, but they retain plausible deniability. And they need the resistance because they need a more fluid strike force that can act without Senate approval.

I used Zombies' post as a basis, but I've been seeing questions like this come up a lot so I figured I'd answer them to the best of my knowledge. It's frustrating that you don't know all this if you only see the movie, but it is what it is. We'll certainly see more of the First Order's leadership structure than just a hologram at some point in this new trilogy and I expect we'll see the Republic leadership and ships get involved now that the Star Wars are back in full swing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was clear to me Finn will also be a Jedi.

He also "awoke" in the movie when his dead friend ran his bloody hand across his helmet.

I'm probably wrong but who knows.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

He also "awoke" in the movie when his dead friend ran his bloody hand across his helmet.

I'm looking forward to this. I'd like to see conflict result from a Jedi romance between Rey and Finn because Jedis aren't supposed to get it on.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mandrel posted:

so there's no way Snoke isn't darth plagueis right? Wise, all powerful Munn sith lord who happens to look identical to the apparently still-canon appearance of Plagueis, his musical theme is nearly identical to the piece that plays in the opera in III when Palpatine is telling Anakin about him.

on the other hand, palpatine says he killed him and he always seemed like a guy who'd know for a fact whether or not he killed a guy. but then the whole point of palpatine's story was to tell Anakin about how Plagueis supposedly had the power to save people from death. but still, where would he have been this whole time? just chilling?

i can't decide if snoke being plagueis would be more or less contrived than snoke just being some super powerful sith who just appeared out of nowhere

In the novelization he has some more dialog where he mentions that he's old enough to have seen the Empire rise and fall.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

thathonkey posted:

It seems pretty unlikely that Finn could do so well against Kylo in his first ever lightsaber battle. He lands a pretty decent hit on Kylo before getting hosed up. Granted Kylo had just taken a direct bolt to the gut from rampage-Chewbacca

Speaking of... I AM disappointed we didn't get rampage-Chewbacca after Han died. Like at least rip a stormtrooper's arm off or something.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

pzy posted:

Chewie better get his moment in the next few movies, because they kind of shafted him in this one. I agree with earlier posters that I wanted to see him go animalistic on some motherfuckers for killing his life partner.

He made Kylo Ren bleed on screen in a Disney Star Wars movie, that is a considerable act of brutality considering.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Chewie failed his life-debt. Now what does he do?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Chewie failed his life-debt. Now what does he do?

We already see what he's doing. Staying on as Rey's co-pilot.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

euphronius posted:

Definitely. He awoke from his conditioning, but also something with the Force was triggered. Look at the way Kylo stares at him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's the big reveal. She's Kylo's twin, Chewie knows and life debts are transferable.

How did you guys miss it?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Darth Vader had decades more experience. He probably kicked some poo poo around rooms when poo poo when wrong for at last few years after being partly consumed (dis-armed and de-feeted) by lava. Besides, Kylo Ren suffered from being torn between the light and the dark. He's chosen his side now, and should be a bit more threatening once he's no longer bleeding out from his side.

Regardless of the reasons, though, Darth Vader still basically defines "evil" for anyone born between 1975 and 1980. It's hard to think they'll ever top how imposing he was in the original trilogy.

thats the thing. you shouldnt try. if you try just making another vader, it will be redundant and people will think its dumb. Renn is interesting because while he cosplays as vader, he has none of the "skills" and he has pre delimbed vaders personality maginified by 1000.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats the thing. you shouldnt try. if you try just making another vader, it will be redundant and people will think its dumb. Renn is interesting because while he cosplays as vader, he has none of the "skills" and he has pre delimbed vaders personality maginified by 1000.

I hope they don't just recreate the Vader arc, but given how much was recycled already I'm a bit concerned. Hopefully they'll find another way to tie up the individual storylines in addition to the nine-movie arc.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I hope they don't just recreate the Vader arc, but given how much was recycled already I'm a bit concerned. Hopefully they'll find another way to tie up the individual storylines in addition to the nine-movie arc.

thats mostly what abrams does and he isn't directing the next two.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mitchicon posted:

I'm looking forward to this. I'd like to see conflict result from a Jedi romance between Rey and Finn because Jedis aren't supposed to get it on.

euphronius posted:

I'm thinking Rey, Finn and Dameron are going to form the core of the new generation of Jedi.

Though I admit, when we saw Dameron at the cantina flying around I was kind of hoping there'd be a twist where the Resistance had a ton of clones of him and that's how he got the reputation as the best pilot. Sort of like a Dread Pilot Roberts situation.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I can't remember – was there any blood in the prequels? Finn's blood-smeared helmet came across as them saying "hey things are Different now" as early in the film as they possibly could.

bondster
May 6, 2007

I'm going to make a slightly silly claim: I don't think Snoak (however you spell it) is going to be some old Sith Lord or Force user in general. I think he is just someone who knew enough about how the dark side worked to manipulate Kylo Ren to doing what he needed.

Kylo, in continuing the Anakin analog, was probably in a very vulnerable place in his life when Snoak came in. He was sent away from his parents to train with Luke and probably had some initial bitterness about it. Snoak comes in, whispers sweet nothings into Kylo's ear, and convinced him to destroy Luke's temple (he probably tried to kill Luke as well, but failed). The title crawl made it clear that the First Order wanted Luke dead since he was the last Jedi and represented a clear threat to the First Order. Snoak probably acted with this goal in mind.

Now the one damning piece of evidence against this is that Snoak at the end said he wanted Kylo to complete his training so Snoak could easily be a Force user, I just think its kinda dumb that there is another Sith Lord/Force User that just comes out of nowhere.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I was kind of hoping there'd be a twist where the Resistance had a ton of clones of him and that's how he got the reputation as the best pilot. Sort of like a Dread Pilot Roberts situation.

I was thinking the same thing. "Oh, you met one of the Poes? Yeah, they're some great guys. Too bad he didn't make it. Here, have another one."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm thinking Rey, Finn and Dameron are going to form the core of the new generation of Jedi.

Though I admit, when we saw Dameron at the cantina flying around I was kind of hoping there'd be a twist where the Resistance had a ton of clones of him and that's how he got the reputation as the best pilot. Sort of like a Dread Pilot Roberts situation.

I'm an absolute sucker for clones, so I'm all aboard the Damer-clone train. It just strikes me as weird that a technology as crazy as cloning can be a thing, and then just not come up or be used again after the prequels. Like, I recognize that the films are better off ignoring the whole clone can of worms, but at the same time I want to see it. As Kylo is torn between light and dark, I am torn between clones and no clones.

bondster posted:

Now the one damning piece of evidence against this is that Snoak at the end said he wanted Kylo to complete his training so Snoak could easily be a Force user, I just think its kinda dumb that there is another Sith Lord/Force User that just comes out of nowhere.

This is a big reason why I wanted Thrawn to be carried over from the EU and brought in as the First Order's leader. He was a threat based solely on being smart as hell and having cold military precision and efficiency. He also knew how to manipulate force users, in one of his first scenes he recruits an immensely powerful Dark Jedi just be having the right precautions in place and being able to think 10 moves ahead of who he's talking to.

Basically, imagine an evil Sherlock Holmes in charge of the First Order and not Sithy Guy #2. I guess that's technically still possible, Snoak could have people to handle Ren's training for him, but that seems highly unlikely.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 19, 2015

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Something I just realized.

What the Hell was the First Order's plan once they fired the weapon a second time? They are literally killing the planet their base is on whether they get blown up or not.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

sinking belle posted:

I can't remember – was there any blood in the prequels? Finn's blood-smeared helmet came across as them saying "hey things are Different now" as early in the film as they possibly could.

The only blood in the OT is on the ground after Kenobi cuts the dudes arm off. And nerds always hated it enough that removing it is one of the changes in the SE that they actually like.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I wish they never answered how Poe got out alive.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

What the Hell was the First Order's plan once they fired the weapon a second time? They are literally killing the planet their base is on whether they get blown up or not.

I dunno, maybe the energy gets distributed back to the Sun after they fire it? I mean, they fired it once and still had a Sun, so however they're doing it they can fire that sucker multiple times, though it may be a small multiple like 5 or 10.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

I assumed it has hyperdrives built in like the death star. Otherwise it wouldn't be all that useful. Maybe they have more than one?

bondster posted:

I'm going to make a slightly silly claim: I don't think Snoak (however you spell it) is going to be some old Sith Lord or Force user in general. I think he is just someone who knew enough about how the dark side worked to manipulate Kylo Ren to doing what he needed.

Kylo, in continuing the Anakin analog, was probably in a very vulnerable place in his life when Snoak came in. He was sent away from his parents to train with Luke and probably had some initial bitterness about it. Snoak comes in, whispers sweet nothings into Kylo's ear, and convinced him to destroy Luke's temple (he probably tried to kill Luke as well, but failed). The title crawl made it clear that the First Order wanted Luke dead since he was the last Jedi and represented a clear threat to the First Order. Snoak probably acted with this goal in mind.

I wonder if Kylo ever met Snoke in person. It would be neat if it was a droid or AI or something that was manipulating an actual force user through holo communications into doing his bidding. A phantom menace if you will

Vvvv I think it has closed captioning support available for the hearing impaired vvv

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 19, 2015

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Why does my AMC movie ticket stub say "STAR WARS: THE CC"?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Tetrix posted:

Why does my AMC movie ticket stub say "STAR WARS: THE CC"?

"STAR WARS: THE CARBON COPY"

:v:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The only blood in the OT is on the ground after Kenobi cuts the dudes arm off. And nerds always hated it enough that removing it is one of the changes in the SE that they actually like.

I don't think this was ever changed. The blood is still there for the blu ray version at least

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gohmak posted:

I wish they never answered how Poe got out alive.

I wish there was no alien chase and pirate base sequence, and the entire Starkiller Base. What a huge waste of screen time that could have been used better elsewhere.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

euphronius posted:

I don't think you're wrong. Remember when the black suit bad guy pauses and stares at him for a bit? Right after the slaughter, like he feels something from him?

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
Am I weird for liking the Kylo Ren character? Thought the mix of vulnerability/craziness was pretty engaging but seems like he's being dismissed as too whiny by the majority.

The movie was solidly entertaining despite being derivative as hell. More originality and less nostalgia in the successors hopefully, but this was a decent starting point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

That's the big reveal. She's Kylo's twin, Chewie knows and life debts are transferable.

How did you guys miss it?

Yeah I think this is it.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Am I weird for liking the Kylo Ren character? Thought the mix of vulnerability/craziness was pretty engaging but seems like he's being dismissed as too whiny by the majority.

The movie was solidly entertaining despite being derivative as hell. More originality and less nostalgia in the successors hopefully, but this was a decent starting point.

Kylo Ren kicks rear end. He's angry, confused, lacking in confidence, and has little direction.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

No you are not weird for liking a charismatic and likable villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pox
Feb 16, 2015

thathonkey posted:

I think the only reason Kylo duels him is for shits, he could have choked him or ragdolled him like Rey. He is winning the entire minute long fight, and once Finn lands a lucky blow, he immediately gets serious and destroys him. Seems about as well as a random soldier would do.

• Locked thread