Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Bust Rodd posted:

Do you hate him besides being the Millenial Matthew Broderick?

That's surprisingly accurate but Broderick at least did The Producers which was very good. Mostly because Mel Brooks is good.

Cera is like the quintessential boring awkward nerd in every single loving thing I've ever seen him in and he sucks

Also yeah I guess he hosed my mom on prom night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair, I would also be mad if he banged my mom.

:vince:

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Servaetes posted:

That's surprisingly accurate but Broderick at least did The Producers which was very good. Mostly because Mel Brooks is good.

Cera is like the quintessential boring awkward nerd in every single loving thing I've ever seen him in and he sucks

Also yeah I guess he hosed my mom on prom night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE8kTPtLftI&hd=1

Watch that and stop being such a boring basic hater.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Also, who the gently caress wants a live action archer movie? That's a dumb as hell idea. What? Cartoons not good enough for you? Jon Benjamin IS archer, and I guess it would be funny to see him in a wig trying to look handsome, but otherwise no, gently caress. Boring.

A live action Rick and Morty would probably end up being one of the worst films ever made.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE8kTPtLftI&hd=1

Watch that and stop being such a boring basic hater.

http://youtu.be/OYt6asKb5bw

This, too. Of all the things to like Matthew Broderick in, you pick that awful Producers remake?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Also, who the gently caress wants a live action archer movie? That's a dumb as hell idea. What? Cartoons not good enough for you? Jon Benjamin IS archer, and I guess it would be funny to see him in a wig trying to look handsome, but otherwise no, gently caress. Boring.

A live action Rick and Morty would probably end up being one of the worst films ever made.

Even with Chris Lloyd as Doc, doing his best drunken impression ?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If we're being even slightly serious, get that kid who played Kevin in the Vacation movie as Morty. He played a perfect whiny bitch.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Depressio111117 posted:

http://youtu.be/OYt6asKb5bw

This, too. Of all the things to like Matthew Broderick in, you pick that awful Producers remake?

The Cable Guy is clearly the height of Broderick films.

Also Michael Cera is great, he's great in This is the end, and Scott Pilgrim was awesome. Though I'll admit, Scott Pilgrim probably only worked because of Edgar Wright.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

ElCondemn posted:

The Cable Guy is clearly the height of Broderick films.

Also Michael Cera is great, he's great in This is the end, and Scott Pilgrim was awesome. Though I'll admit, Scott Pilgrim probably only worked because of Edgar Wright.

Scott Pilgrim worked as a showcase for some pretty clever direction and visuals. otherwise it was some good fun, nothing special, but the look of it really was awesome. Also michael Cera was good in it.

He's got pretty typecast, but when he has more control he uses his nebbishness to make some really great, dark poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the real answer is this

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Like that big dumb guy in the car movies says, "perfect in all the ways"

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Scott Pilgrim worked as a showcase for some pretty clever direction and visuals. otherwise it was some good fun, nothing special, but the look of it really was awesome. Also michael Cera was good in it.

He's got pretty typecast, but when he has more control he uses his nebbishness to make some really great, dark poo poo.

ok i watched this thing and it still really solidifies my point previously dude. he's like extremely typecast as dorky, awkward, nerdy 20-something dude no matter what film you put him in or how old he is. that video was just kinda dark and i didn't really laugh at all but i think that's just a matter of my taste vs yours, i dunno

Scott Pilgrim is a bit of an exception to the rule but I think it's more the source material being pretty dang good versus Cera being good. Also he's way too goddamned old to play Morty. Decade ago maybe now nah.

Depressio111117 posted:

Hey man, Mel Brooks mostly makes gold. Or used to. I liked it and it was really cool to see the play live!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

His work in "kitty cat man" seems like something out of interdimensional cable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-fUlOLkbvQ

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Lets not forget that the Search for More Money might actually see the light;

http://www.blastr.com/2015-2-6/mel-brooks-confirms-development-spaceballs-sequel-hopefully-original-cast

We shall see though.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I think Cera is fine but gently caress him for ruining Scott Pilgrim, because that comic is amazing but the movie blows, and all my dumbass friends refuse to read it because they associate the character with him and he's one of those everyone-hates-his-guts-for-some-reason guys, so he basically poisons any IP he touches.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Funkmaster General posted:

I think Cera is fine but gently caress him for ruining Scott Pilgrim, because that comic is amazing but the movie blows, and all my dumbass friends refuse to read it because they associate the character with him and he's one of those everyone-hates-his-guts-for-some-reason guys, so he basically poisons any IP he touches.

He's actually quite successful and has made a lot of money and been in a lot of successful things, such as the aforementioned film which i'm pretty sure has made money. Also he was in some show everyone loves about some family of assholes and a dad who went to jail?

I mena maybe he poisons poo poo for your pedestrian-rear end friends.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

CelticPredator posted:

the real answer is this

Morty, I got the test results. You're positive! You've got the HIV! You got the AIDS big time!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

CelticPredator posted:

the real answer is this

Gear Man (ahh aaah) fighter of the Bird Man (ahh aaah)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

robot roll call posted:

Morty, I got the test results. You're positive! You've got the HIV! You got the AIDS big time!

Aw man, I gotta check the history on my portal gun to find the universe where I dropped the magnum condom for my monster dong.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Cera was perfect in that role because treating Scott Pilgrim as an unironic or uncritical nerd-geek-culture escapism fantasy is loving idiotic and the melancholy and waywardness the film, and Cera in particular, brought in served to heighten those themes and enhance both the film and the original graphic novels.

You loving idiot. You moron. You knucklehead.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

What I'm saying is that if you liked the Scott Pilgrim comics but thought that the film was "too mopey" or "got it wrong" or some poo poo you're trash garbage. You're a poo poo garbage nerd who belongs in a dumpster.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The movie improved on a lame comic.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'd assert that, due to their overlapping development, the movie actually made the comics, especially volumes 5 and 6, materially better because of the crossover of ideas.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I don't agree. Despite improving art, the comic read just like an average niche webcomic throughout, only with better production values. The movie took the perfectly functional core and made it good.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Michael Cera is my personal hero

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CelticPredator posted:

the real answer is this

He's Tiny Rick! :woop:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Actually, both the comic and the film Scott Piggleton and the Secret of Magic Words are bad.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I liked the Scott Pilgrim movie.

I don't detest Michael Cera.

I LOVED the Scott Pilgrim comics.

I think Michael Cera was a terrible Scott Pilgrim and it nearly killed the movie for me.

I get that Michael Cera's typecast is the shy weird awkward geek, but those guys aren't all made alike. Scott Pilgrim, to me, was less the Cera-type weird and more just an invisible shadow of a human. He exists in a basement apartment, has no job, has virtually zero possessions, and exists almost entirely on the kindness of others. He develops a stronger personality when he falls for Ramona, and his arc is about growing up and into a person.

I just didn't get any of that from Michael Cera. Besides, he had the wrong look, and isn't that what Hollywood is about, anyway?

But I still liked the movie! Great soundtrack, ballsy art direction, and all of the other performances were on point. Besides which, it tickles my fancy to see Toronto in a movie as itself, for once :3:

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Okay but what do we all collectively think of Matthew Broderick

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Depressio111117 posted:

His father's dead :geno:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Depressio111117 posted:

He was in Wargames, which forgives all his other sins. (Except maybe the part where he kills Irish people, but maybe not.)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Depressio111117 posted:

He was the perfect Inspector Gadget.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

JakeP posted:

Michael Cera is my personal hero

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Propaganda Machine posted:

I liked the Scott Pilgrim movie.

I don't detest Michael Cera.

I LOVED the Scott Pilgrim comics.

I think Michael Cera was a terrible Scott Pilgrim and it nearly killed the movie for me.

I get that Michael Cera's typecast is the shy weird awkward geek, but those guys aren't all made alike. Scott Pilgrim, to me, was less the Cera-type weird and more just an invisible shadow of a human. He exists in a basement apartment, has no job, has virtually zero possessions, and exists almost entirely on the kindness of others. He develops a stronger personality when he falls for Ramona, and his arc is about growing up and into a person.

I just didn't get any of that from Michael Cera. Besides, he had the wrong look, and isn't that what Hollywood is about, anyway?

But I still liked the movie! Great soundtrack, ballsy art direction, and all of the other performances were on point. Besides which, it tickles my fancy to see Toronto in a movie as itself, for once :3:

Not My Scott Pilgrim

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Somethingawful poster defends the integrity of a loner who lives in a basement. Back to the studio.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I don't think the Scott Pilgrim movie is bad because of Cera's performance. I think it's bad because it takes something so good and shoves it in a format that doesn't make sense (live-action film). They did some clever stuff with effects, but their attempts to translate the appearance of cartoon characters onto actors (or, more specifically, actresses) created some really weird costumes and made characters who felt at home in a comic into unrealistic caricatures of people.

Also it felt like it was pandering to the audience in a way that the comic didn't. Somehow, scenes like Scott finding a one-up that looks like an icon of his head is a funny gag in the comic but a weird "hey, video games, am I roghy? Nudge nudge" in the film. Same with using the Zelda jingle on scene changes and stuff.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I never read the comics, but I enjoyed the movie.

The thread may now return to discussion of Rick and/or Morty.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9IcGZZnC1k

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccOuv6s5jfc
I'd watch a full feature about Mr Meeseeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Also it felt like it was pandering to the audience in a way that the comic didn't. Somehow, scenes like Scott finding a one-up that looks like an icon of his head is a funny gag in the comic but a weird "hey, video games, am I roghy? Nudge nudge" in the film. Same with using the Zelda jingle on scene changes and stuff.

I know it seems like pandering, but watch Spaced and tell me Edgar Wright isn't sincere in his fanboyism.

• Locked thread