Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Bushiz posted:

e: does anyone have a primo bugfuck crazy anaconda exploration fit? I'm looking for something that's completely self sustaining and set up for planetary exploration for that sweet, sweet FSD booster.

Might not be exactly what you want, but here's my combat/trade/explorer anaconda:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda/27A7D6A5D8A8D5C2c0v0o1p28282e2e00020k0404030303064f5nv2370t2d2b2b2i2f.AwRhrSum2fpA.Aw18ZlA=

21 light years isn't much range compared to an exploration-only anaconda, but it's not bad, especially for a ship you can also fight and trade in. And if I'm going extra far outside of human space or need to go far fast, I replace one or two of the hull reinforcement packages with fuel tanks, so I don't have to refuel every few jumps. The farthest I've taken it is about 1100 light years outside of the bubble, and I had fun, but I probably wouldn't go to Sagittarius A in it. I also haven't tried the large cannon turret yet, but I'm hoping it'll complement the huge plasma accelerator well, when hitting big ships at close range. Otherwise it's back to a boring pulse laser.

If I were you, no matter what i do otherwise, I would outfit my bugfuck crazy exploraconda with good shields and at least one hull reinforcement package, just in case you get interdicted or accidentally crash into a planet with extra strong gravity or something. I know hull reinforcements have saved my rear end before when accidentally ramming things or getting into unexpected beatdowns. You could still have a range of 30+ light years too.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Surprised no one else posted this already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMma36ot-cw

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Has "any hair longer than a buzz cut" gone the way of the dodo in the future or something?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
You wanna get your hair caught in an airlock?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Pilots federation rules mandate that you shave your head. You gonna sell your spaceship or shave your head? Your choice. If you choose a character with long hair it's a text box and then game over.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Luneshot posted:

Has "any hair longer than a buzz cut" gone the way of the dodo in the future or something?

They're probably working on the hair physics or something. :v:

Also, red suits but not blue? Deplorable. :colbert: Also, I can't wait to buy pilot suit customization from the Elite store (only half sarcastic) including these sweet jackets and some pants to cover my space PJs:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, they just haven't done hair yet.

That's actually a pretty old video. IIRC it's from their Horizons announcement, which was in August.

e:less mealy mouthed.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 19, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

WebDog posted:

What's a reasonable bounty hunting kit? I have a few space millions that I haven't blown on Bentleys, and Anacondas and have a Python and Asp currently in my garage.

Put basically any guns you want on a Python and go to loving town because it will stomp everything. Most recently I put pulse turrets on the C2 slots, a C3 G/beam, and two C3 G/cannons. You can tear small ships apart with the turrets and beam (which fires basically forever with enough pips), and rip larger ships apart by adding the cannons.

The Python is basically a big rear end in a top hat gun platform and you can't really go wrong when outfitting it for bounty hunting. Plus it has a big enough power plant to take nice QoL things, like A-class sensors and KWS. I love it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Surprised no one else posted this already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMma36ot-cw

drat that looks good.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
This is a strange place to have died.

Someone keeps leaving their space beacons laying around.

Wait that last one isn't the same.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

well

note to self, never go anywhere without a fuel scoop

:(

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Ciaphas posted:

well

note to self, never go anywhere without a fuel scoop

:(

http://fuelrats.com/

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Welp all this Explorer posting and my recent demotion means that I should finally stop thinking about flying out my Gold Plated Autism Explorer and actually bring out my Gold Plated Autism Explorer.

The extra AFM is in case my first AFM breaks, the cargo is because Black Holes Are Thirsty. I know because the last time I saw them they told me so. If I find any salvagable escape pods I might even have an audience/more offerings to the gods of entropy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Even though it's too late and I self destructed I just adore the fact that this exists at all :allears:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Finding wreckage with occupied escape pods 2500 LY out from Sol is... worrying

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Can someone talk me through the Federal Gunship vs Federal Assault Ship?

I have a FAS and i just got the rank that lets me buy the gunship. I see it has more guns, is it way better?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I play in solo mode with a type 6 running the same route back and forth making good profit and it's only three jumps. It's a good podcast or Netflix type experience. Is the type 7 my next logical upgrade is there anything besides that to consider. I have no real idea how to play the game other than flying from point a to point b maxing out my cargo hold each time.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

cheesetriangles posted:

I play in solo mode with a type 6 running the same route back and forth making good profit and it's only three jumps. It's a good podcast or Netflix type experience. Is the type 7 my next logical upgrade is there anything besides that to consider. I have no real idea how to play the game other than flying from point a to point b maxing out my cargo hold each time.

An Asp holds a little more than a T6 and is much more agile. It's a good middle spot on the way to the T7 for trading.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

hakimashou posted:

Can someone talk me through the Federal Gunship vs Federal Assault Ship?

I have a FAS and i just got the rank that lets me buy the gunship. I see it has more guns, is it way better?

It's different so I'm not sure if it's better.

You get some more flexibility with weapons. I think I had 2 C2 Beams and M/C's, a C3 PAC and dumbfire missiles in the C1 slots. It's fairly nimble for its size but isn't very quick. It'll be able to carry a fighter whenever that happens.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

haha what the gently caress that's amazing

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Man I just keep on slamming my Cobra into planets :doh: This thing really needs a computer voice to yell the Terrain alarm at me

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

How terrible of an idea is something like this to aspire for?

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assault_ship/15A6D5A5D6A4C4C0v0v2g2g0000020mB22d2b2t530d.Iw18cQ==.CwBhGYykCY-GkynEA===?bn=

Cause my Vulture just leaves me feeling like I need some missiles to throw at people after I nuke their shields.

E: I have no idea if the AFMU is at all useful for a pure combat ship but maybe it'd save my rear end once in a while after a last second warp-out? :shrug: Could always be another hull boost.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 19, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Icedude posted:

Man I just keep on slamming my Cobra into planets :doh: This thing really needs a computer voice to yell the Terrain alarm at me

I'd settle for a HUD indicator of your current path of travel. Modern aircraft have them, I forget the technical term.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd settle for a HUD indicator of your current path of travel. Modern aircraft have them, I forget the technical term.

Flight path vector indicator. I've also seen it referred to as a TVI, or total velocity indicator.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Even taking planetary approach kinda slow, a 400 tons Asp with A thrusters can struggle with 1.5G+ planets, especially if you always landed on 0.5G places before :v:

I almost faceplanted at 300 m/s on a dark grey color planet because I misjudged the height of a hill, thank God for boost. I feel bad for those poor souls that were duped into landing on a 6G planet with big trade ships.

This game is incredibly fun if still shallow, I just wish they do a balance pass on all ships and add a ton more SRV types, ships, modules, weapons... Plus qol things like ship delivery, extra ammo, scanners that don't take internals

Edit: within the bubble, is there any reason to cart around an AFM,fuel scoop and detail surface scanner? It seems I am always in range of a station to refuel and repair, and there's not much high value stuff to scan.. Seems it would be better to get some more cargo space / hull reinforcement / an extra SRV for just mission running and planetside stuff

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 19, 2015

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
that sure is a name

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

TorakFade posted:

Edit: within the bubble, is there any reason to cart around an AFM,fuel scoop and detail surface scanner? It seems I am always in range of a station to refuel and repair, and there's not much high value stuff to scan.. Seems it would be better to get some more cargo space / hull reinforcement / an extra SRV for just mission running and planetside stuff

There's generally no need for an AFM within the bubble. Fuel scoops are not always strictly necessary, but they are mighty convenient. DSS isn't needed either, but if you've got the room and are tooling around unexplored systems a bunch, it's free extra money on any planetary scans you do.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A proper FPV would be nice. Much easier than bouncing eyes between the heading, pitch angle and altitude indicators like it's 1940 or something.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Wow, driving the SRV with a hotas is pretty much poo. Good thing you can setup with a gamepad at the same time and just switch off.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Helter Skelter posted:

There's generally no need for an AFM within the bubble. Fuel scoops are not always strictly necessary, but they are mighty convenient. DSS isn't needed either, but if you've got the room and are tooling around unexplored systems a bunch, it's free extra money on any planetary scans you do.

Yeah I think I will drop the AFM, fuel scoop is nice but doing missions the longest one was like 50 ly which is two jumps in my Asp, not really needed. Very torn on the DSS though, I like free money but I would rather spend time fighting or hauling than pointing at things for thirty minutes.

Also they finally added decent hauling missions, 1 million for carting 112 tons of stuff 30ly away is decent money

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
The last destination in this trading chain mission is an outpost on a planet.

I don't have Horizons :eng99:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Literally have spent less than an hour in an SRV since Horizons dropped.

Never don't blow up rocks.

SRV fuel is a tedious mechanic but finding the materials for it also isn't the insurmountable challenge some folks are making it out to be.

Its not just the fuel thing, its that the devs often have no idea what an MMO is and they blindly follow what the forums tell them to do. The present state of the game is in a significant part due to what was posted there and they suck so much that we never take part, thus idiots run the show.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

tofes posted:

The last destination in this trading chain mission is an outpost on a planet.

I don't have Horizons :eng99:

I've got one where I found a step wants me to go to a station 500k LS deep in a system.

Nnnnnoope! gently caress that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Can anyone tell me how dangerous it is logging out in the middle of space? Because horizons has been crashing a hell of a lot on me and I've scanned my drives, updated my graphics drivers, and checked all the necessaries to determine that elite: horizons hates my computer and I like to crash when I'm flying around in space a lot.

For the record I haven't crashed when playing this game once before the update so either something changed on my end or the game's end I can't tell which. Also the game likes to gift me 100% system ratings after a crash even after I rammed a Federation Clipper head on to take down its shields, leaving me at 21% hull, so silver linings I guess?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Shouldn't be dangerous at all. IIRC exiting the game removes you from space immediately. (combat logging can result in a ban however, last I checked)

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

If anyone here is doing the Treasure Hunt CG don't waste your time in Prism based on the "Travel where all frequencies of light reside..." part of the 1st riddle, it's a misleading dead end. The "Your quest to restore the king's crown starts in the middle..." part of the 1st riddle is the part which leads to the system which gives you the 2nd riddle.

'Wasat as-Sama' is Arabic for 'Middle of the sky' and the Treasure Hunt starts at a system called Wasat. There's a stickied local GalNet entry there that has the 2nd riddle which reads: "Find a traveller that was sent to converse with a king where he takes shelter in a storm." Fingers crossed I have enough time this weekend to solve this so I can win a billion credits or whatever.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Can anyone tell me how dangerous it is logging out in the middle of space? Because horizons has been crashing a hell of a lot on me and I've scanned my drives, updated my graphics drivers, and checked all the necessaries to determine that elite: horizons hates my computer and I like to crash when I'm flying around in space a lot.

For the record I haven't crashed when playing this game once before the update so either something changed on my end or the game's end I can't tell which. Also the game likes to gift me 100% system ratings after a crash even after I rammed a Federation Clipper head on to take down its shields, leaving me at 21% hull, so silver linings I guess?

It's not dangerous at all. If you log out while in space, you'll log back in at approximately the same spot. If you were in supercruise, you'll be back in realspace when you log in. If you were inside or near a station, undocked, you'll log in at about 8KM away from the station. Logging out at an RES or similar instance will log you back in at the same place (though it will re-randomize the instance so the same specific ships won't be around).

Edit: Though if you logout at an RES the game might occasionally log you back in about 10m away and pointed directly at a big freaking space rock. However, Frontier customer service is pretty good about responding and returning your stuff if you die because of a glitch like that.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 19, 2015

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Is there any real reason why my navigation gets wiped occasionally after a jump? The game randomly seems to decide me ship's gotten too heavy en-route and sort of forces me to recalculate where I'm going.
At the moment I'm flying a very lean ASP with a jump range of 32LY.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Are you plotting a route with an almost empty tank, and then filling up?

That's the only thing I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Nope, even after leaving the station with a full tank it does it on the first star I arrive at.

• Locked thread