Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Gamerofthegame posted:

Sadly apparently he really hasn't been able to do it for a while now.

I know his Joker voice died like five years ago. :smith:

He's slated to reprise the Joker role in an animated adaptation of The Killing Joke, I thought? And he's the Joker in Arkham Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

No it didn't. He used it just now on 'the flash' ... He plays the trickster and it's hard to watch for just that reason. Joker voice Skywalker face

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Its specifically the Joker voice that is particularly harsh for him these days but he did do it for Arkham Knight and will do it for the Killing joke movie next year since that's something he's always wanted to do.

Also, if you ever watched Regular Show he voices a character on that called Skips who sounds like a goddamn rusty chainsaw.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gamerofthegame posted:

When he played the Trickster in the new Flash show it was very Joker-esque still (since that's where he got the style in the first place).

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Obv he was saving his voice for the movie anyway

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I loved the part where the TIE Fighter got shot down by the Star Destroyer wreckage, and no less than a half second later, scavengers swarm the area, assumedly to snatch up as much as they can.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Saw it, liked it. For better or worse it Felt Like Star Wars without getting bogged down in the prequels' issues of "look at all this CG we have now" or "everything needs to go on rails to set things up for A New Hope."

I was particularly impressed by the last lightsaber fight. They didn't do anything fancy, but a forest of white snow on dark trees contrasting with the colors of the sabers? Naturally-close quarters with stuff that can be damaged in the fighting? Why didn't they do this until now? It felt like a live action version of the stylistic Clone Wars (animated, not CG) fights.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

bad day posted:

Just got back from watching this with some old buddies.

This is speculation so I don't know why I'm spoilering it but Rey is obviously Luke's daughter, and Snoke is Palpatine, who did not die from being thrown off a bridge in Jedi (I mean really).

Agreed, that Rey is probably Luke's daughter. I'm of the opinion that Snoke is a "clone gone wrong" of Palpatine. That's my best guess for now.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I love that Abrams took a perfectly understandable bad guy weapon from ANH (big thing that flies around and blows stuff up) and made it totally incomprehensible (even bigger thing that... sits there? And somehow fires a laser shotgun through hyperspace or something? And then recharges by sucking up a star? And then it must have to move at some point because now the star is dead? Idk)

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Marketing New Brain posted:

I actually realized the movie was working for me during the scene between Kylo and Rey when they are force reading each other. That scene handled wrong would have been incredibly silly, since half of it is just people making strained faces at each other, but instead of laughing awkwardly I was completely tuned in.

Yeah, that scene was really well done. The new actors and dialogue are the high points of the film.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Linguica posted:

I love that Abrams took a perfectly understandable bad guy weapon from ANH (big thing that flies around and blows stuff up) and made it totally incomprehensible (even bigger thing that... sits there? And somehow fires a laser shotgun through hyperspace or something? And then recharges by sucking up a star? And then it must have to move at some point because now the star is dead? Idk)

It seems wrong for the movie to introduce a weapon of that magnitude and have it basically be an afterthought. It blows up a planet that we know nothing about, whose loss doesn't really even register for any of our main characters. The Resistance seemingly has been asleep at the wheel while the massive undertaking of its construction has taken place, and yet the solution falls in their lap and in movie time the destroy it within about an hour of learning of its existence. Plug, the dogfight when they're trying to blow up the shield feels completely divorced from what's going with our main characters. I like Poe, but we really haven't spent enough time with him to care what he's up to while we're switching between him and the other pilots and Rey, Finn, et. al. You really could have taken the whole thing out and not have significantly altered the arc of the movie, since Luke is the real MacGuffin

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Waiting for our dinner and drinks to arrive and the movie to start:

You all watched TFA while sitting in a comfy recliner and drinking wine and eating dinner in a room with nobody under 21, right?

wtf is this hobbit-sized screen? Is it just a perspective trick? IMAX, fool.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I thought the movie was good but not amazing, probably a solid B. The comparison to ANH seem apt, since I'd probably give them a B as well.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I nearly laughed when kylo took his helmet off

he just seems so ridiculous

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
A New Hope is incredibly slow and plodding in comparison, this moves at 100 miles an hour in order to establish so many new characters as well as reintroduce us to some familiar faces. ANH has us slowly learning about a larger universe, but here we are like Fin, dumped into the action and catching up on events that have been set in motion years ago.

I don't think they intend to keep the pace this frenetic so Ep 8 should be more similar to ESB where we slow down the pace and explore the characters and mythology.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

and the baddie is transparently a combination of Anakin and Darth Maul.

I saw the Anakin part, but where did you see Darth Maul in there?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lord Krangdar posted:

I saw the Anakin part, but where did you see Darth Maul in there?

The design of his character screams "I'M A loving BADASS"

On top of this, it turns out Force Awakens is a remake of both A New Hope and Phantom Menace, mashed together.

Thinking about the film more, I like this reading the best. Picking apart the components of each film, The Force Awakens basically takes the best parts of TPM and ANH and adds some good ol Pixar Disney flavor for embellishment. BB-8 is basically WALL-E (sleeping R2 is basically EVE).

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 19, 2015

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

On top of this, it turns out Force Awakens is a remake of both A New Hope and Phantom Menace, mashed together.

This is a film where Republic still exists but fuckin sucks, the Jedi are failures, and the baddie is transparently a combination of Anakin and Darth Maul.

And they've replaced a CGI black man with an actual black man.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

teagone posted:

The design of his character screams "I'M A loving BADASS"

And he seems to have the whole Revenge hateboner thing without thinking it all the way through.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So after a second viewing, I picked up a few minor things. During Rey's Force flashback (premonition?), it appears as if she was about 6 or 7 years old when she was abandoned on Jakku. A ship is flying away that she's screaming at but its not a ship I recognized.

Also, regarding people complaining that Kylo Ren is a chump that gets owned by a Force newbie, he actually doesn't really. Everything that people have said is true, though. He was severely injured by Chewie's bowcaster and still basically owns both Rey and Finn despite that. However, Finn nicked him with the saber (that's a second wound) so he's struggling even more by the time Rey has the saber. Even after all that, Rey is basically fleeing him the entire fight until the chasm opens up. When their sabers are locked on the edge of the chasm and Kylo Ren says "I can teach you the ways of the Force", Rey realizes something. I THINK she remembered something maybe from her childhood pre-Jakku. Maybe she was being trained as a Jedi or about the Force before being abandoned. She then closes her eyes and concentrates and is basically able to gently caress him up after that, hitting him in his shoulder (that's 3 pretty bad wounds). Even after all that, he still puts up a pretty good fight before she finally gets the winning blow in. So all things considered, it's pretty admirable that he put up that good of a fight against someone so strong with the Force.

Also apparently Daniel Craig played the Stormtrooper that Rey uses the Jedi Mind Trick on. Pretty cool.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 19, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I nearly laughed when kylo took his helmet off

he just seems so ridiculous

That is pretty intentional I think. That scene is shot very specifically to make him look ridiculous and kind of sad. The lighting and shot choice basically make him look like a pimply teenager.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I liked that the opening shot was a middle finger pointed at the audience. I suppose it was meant to be a cross, as it was Kylo Ren's Star Destroyer, but the silhouette it cause resembles a huge middle finger.

Anyway, I found the film to be decent and enjoyable. However, I do have a few, non-major, qualms:

1. The film's pacing grinds to a halt in the middle.
2. The political situation in the film is unexplained, which also makes the New Republic capitol blowing up pointless.
3. Nothing causes R2D2 to wake up, he just does?
4. The rathtars had a bad design. Mad Dog and Rama better not be dead!
5. Starkiller base concept was dumb, although all the scenes on that planet were great.

Everything else was good. 99% of alien designs were incredible and very Star Wars.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Adam Driver is a pretty unique looking individual.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Proposition Joe posted:

I liked that the opening shot was a middle finger pointed at the audience. I suppose it was meant to be a cross, as it was Kylo Ren's Star Destroyer, but the silhouette it cause resembles a huge middle finger.

Anyway, I found the film to be decent and enjoyable. However, I do have a few, non-major, qualms:

2. The political situation in the film is unexplained, which also makes the New Republic capitol blowing up pointless.
5. Starkiller base concept was dumb, although all the scenes on that planet were great.

Everything else was good. 99% of alien designs were incredible and very Star Wars.

2 and 3 were explicitly addressed in the movie.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Proposition Joe posted:

The political situation was explained.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know what, I'm not even spoiling this.

What the hell do people mean "the political situation was unexplained in the movie." They set up the entire political situation in the opening crawl. There is nothing more complex going on there. They don't really cover the major effects of the planet exploding but that is because the planet exploding is effectively (and LITERALLY) a combination of Palpatine dissolving the senate and the Death Star blowing up Aldaraan in ANH. People didn't need either of those things explained.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
R2-D2 turns back on because Rey is either Luke's daughter or a former apprentice. She was the third piece of the puzzle.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just got back from seeing it, groovy stuff! I am pleased. Definitely a throwback in a very good way, playing around with all the classic Star Wars formulas and thingies. And I dig the new characters too, so yeah definitely can't wait for Ep 8! Plus Rogue One should be fun next year, Donnie Yen up in that and whatnot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

teagone posted:

Adam Driver is a pretty unique looking individual.
To me he looks like a cross between 2 of the Strokes - Julian Casablancas and Albert Hammond Jr.

Like, if it were somehow scientifically possible for them to have a child together, it would be Adam Driver.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

What the hell do people mean "the political situation was unexplained in the movie." They set up the entire political situation in the opening crawl. There is nothing more complex going on there. They don't really cover the major effects of the planet exploding but that is because the planet exploding is effectively (and LITERALLY) a combination of Palpatine dissolving the senate and the Death Star blowing up Aldaraan in ANH. People didn't need either of those things explained.

Why does the Resistance exist as a distinct entity from the Republic? Maybe I'm being dense because I watched the same movie you did and don't have any grasp of this.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Also is it just me, or has C-3PO gained weight since the OT?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Frackie Robinson posted:

Also is it just me, or has C-3PO gained weight since the OT?
I think it's just you. He's got the red arm now, and his voice is pitched differently, but those are the only differences I noticed about him.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, the Resistance is being funded by the New Republic to fight the First Order and their capitol got blown up. This is all very clearly explained in the movie and not what I'm referring to. What was unexplained is where the First Order came from, if the Empire is still around, if those two are the same things, what the New Republic is like, and importantly why the New Republic isn't at war with the First Order and needs to be funding a resistance. People are making assumptions that are all very plausible and can fill in the blanks and obviously added exposition would not necessarily make the film better, but I was left not caring at all about the New Republic capital being blown up because who the hell are those people? Also an issue here is that there is no where near as good a reaction to that planetary destruction as Obi Wan's from ANH.

Beefstew posted:

R2-D2 turns back on because Rey is either Luke's daughter or a former apprentice. She was the third piece of the puzzle.

Where are you getting this from? This is specuation

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Frackie Robinson posted:

Why does the Resistance exist as a distinct entity from the Republic? Maybe I'm being dense because I watched the same movie you did and don't have any grasp of this.

They mention the Resistance is basically an unofficial guerrilla force being not so secretly backed by The Republic. They cover it in the rousing speech.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Frackie Robinson posted:

The Republic has a peace treaty with the FO. Most worlds of the Republic are exhausted after decades of intergalactic war. Yet, the Republic's government understands that the FO is still a danger and bankrolls a paramilitary group, the Resistance, to continue the fight.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mitchicon posted:

The Republic has a peace treaty with the FO. Most worlds of the Republic are exhausted after decades of intergalactic war. Yet, the Republic's government understands that the FO is still a danger and bankrolls a paramilitary group, the Resistance, to continue the fight.

This is kind of what I guessed, but where does that come from?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I also did not expect people to still be talking about Darth Plagueis after this movie started showing.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I think it's just you. He's got the red arm now

It actually is replaced with a gold arm again at the end of the movie

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Someone complained in this thread about Maz Kanata's palace not having any ships parked outside. There's a ton, you just can't see them if you're not looking for them because of all the trees on that planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mitchicon posted:

That sounds like an awful lot of politics for a whiz bang space adventure.

• Locked thread