Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Geokinesis posted:

Everyone talking about how great it is finishing for work now for christmas, specifically because I'm working all through the holiday.

There are many reasons working retail is hell. This is one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Intoluene posted:

There are many reasons working retail is hell. This is one of them.

I work for the NHS but yeah. I have no envy for retail workers at all, especially boxing day.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Those attitudes make me really uncomfortable because for every person who sees this time of year is the restful vacation society pretends it is, there's someone else whose life is hell around christmas and it's not something to be smug about. I don't envy anyone with a shipping or transportation related job right now.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
Today's peeves brought to you by: apartment hunting
1) when an apartment manager posts and posts the same exact ad, with a different cheesy title, every ten minutes and clogs up the listings. If I wasn't interested the first time, what makes you think I'd be MORE inclined the fiftieth time?

2) listings that have no pictures, or only a series of pictures of one thing (like the outside or the loving CLOSETS), or only pictures of the lovely complex gym, pool, office, etc.

3) listings that have no address, not even a neighborhood/town. Is it in town, or an hour out in the boondocks? WHO KNOWS??

4) listings that go out of their way to obscure/leave out important information, like price, square feet, whether they accept pets, etc. I shouldn't have to call to figure out if I'm even remotely interested in the loving place.

5) pictures that have nothing to do with the place itself, like memes, lovely jokes, pop culture references and other bullshit eye-catchers. Usually goes hand in hand with number 1.

6) "get on our wait list today!" "our wait list is open!" especially in an ad posted twenty million times. What the gently caress is this bullshit?

7) "pets OK with $50/month additional pet rent per animal" What the gently caress, is the cat gonna run the water and use the stove while we're not home? HOW is it more expensive to have a cat move in than a human? Pet deposits I understand, but there's no loving reason for "pet rent" besides being greedy assholes.

edit: 8) "townhome" on Craigslist apparently means "lovely-rear end, blocky apartment with no landscaping or redeeming features".

Nettles Coterie has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Dec 20, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Get some new Christmas songs already, gently caress. :argh: Last Christmas shouldn't even count, it's about something that just happened to occur on Christmas. :mad:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Christmas-related: people who keep trying every year to convince themselves/innocent victims that fruitcake or any of that christmas bread that's stuffed with raisins and nuts actually taste good. I also can't stand egg nog but I realize I might be in the minority there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Christmas-related: people who keep trying every year to convince themselves/innocent victims that fruitcake or any of that christmas bread that's stuffed with raisins and nuts actually taste good. I also can't stand egg nog but I realize I might be in the minority there.

Fruitcake is delicious. I've never understood the "fruitcake is terrible" meme, or that other one of people going "Why do we eat turkey every year when we all know it's terrible?" because no, turkey and fruitcake are great. Not sure what the Christmas bread you're talking about is, but fruit and nut bread in general is usually pretty nice.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Turkey crowns are my big christmas pet peeve. Hmm a bird that goes dry very easily, let's ONLY eat the parts that go REALLY DRY!! And cook it for daaaaays! What a great plan!!!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Fruitcake is delicious. I've never understood the "fruitcake is terrible" meme, or that other one of people going "Why do we eat turkey every year when we all know it's terrible?" because no, turkey and fruitcake are great. Not sure what the Christmas bread you're talking about is, but fruit and nut bread in general is usually pretty nice.

I think Christmas Bread is mostly a German thing that I've seen since moving here - it's just very dense and chewy. That's my main complaint about fruitcake too, I just don't enjoy eating it.

I am totally with you on turkey though - it's great and makes the best leftovers. I think most of the turkey complaints are from the people who have to cook it - it can be a bit of a pain in the rear end to do it right.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Websites that pick language for you based on your location and don't let you easily switch.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

teenytinymouse posted:

Turkey crowns are my big christmas pet peeve. Hmm a bird that goes dry very easily, let's ONLY eat the parts that go REALLY DRY!! And cook it for daaaaays! What a great plan!!!

Thanksgiving was last month, who the gently caress eats turkey for Christmas too

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Forgall posted:

Websites that pick language for you based on your location and don't let you easily switch.

This drives me crazy too. If I type in .com take me to the .com version stop forcing it to .de. I know where I want to go.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

bradzilla posted:

Thanksgiving was last month, who the gently caress eats turkey for Christmas too

Not everyone is american friendo. Turkey is the christmas bird

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

bradzilla posted:

I do because I hate ham.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

teenytinymouse posted:

Not everyone is american friendo.

I disagree

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

bradzilla posted:

I know smoke alarms are supposed to be life-savers, but they're just loving annoying the other 99.999999999999999% of time that nothing is going on. Cooking something greasy/slightly smoky? Sound the loving alarm. Oh you haven't pressed my button in a week? Better chirp loudly until you press the test button to confirm that I still work. Low battery? Better make a loud chirp every 30 seconds until the battery is changed, starting at 3am. This is what is pissing me off, because the people in the upstairs unit had one of their smoke alarms doing the low battery chirp, but it apparently wasn't loud enough to wake them up to turn it off. So I got awoken around 4am and once I noticed the chirp I couldn't get back to sleep. I also couldn't identify the source, so went around standing by each smoke alarm in my unit and the basement trying to figure out which one was making the noise. Luckily I can go into work whenever I want because that poo poo drives me loving nuts.

This again, except now it's the upstairs neighbors who are too stupid to realize why their smoke alarm is chirping every 30 seconds. I have tried to tell them to change the battery and even gave them one, yet the alarm still chirps away. :downs: The walls are paper thin and I have no idea how they don't loving hear it or want to do something about it. I have to wear earplugs to bed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The word "hipster." It has no meaning whatsoever anymore. If you like anything remotely uncommercial you're a hipster. If you like pop and aren't a teen girl you're a hipster. I had a friend call attendees of Lollapalooza, a festival that brings in 90,000 people every day and booked Metallica as a headliner this year, "stupid hipsters." Stop calling people that. Also nobody "only likes (blank) ironically."

Similarly, dismissing bands as (genre) for people who don't like (genre). God forbid someone who's not a purist enjoy something they wouldn't normally check out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When things disappear from your screen without explanation. You're doing something on your computer or phone, and you see a sudden movement as an icon disappears from the notification area or whatever, and looking at what's still there you can't tell what's missing.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
'Can I ask you something?'

No, person with who I have shared many intimate details of my life, how dare you expect me to care about your personal problems.

But more than that, it's just such a useless expression. Unless you're asking if I have the time to speak, and if we're otherwise in the middle of talking then obviously I do, there's no way to phrase it that isn't either so vague you may as well not have bothered or detailed enough that you've now pretty much described whatever it is you wanted to talk about anyway.

Just say whatever it is you want to say and save us both some time.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gitro posted:

'Can I ask you something?'

No, person with who I have shared many intimate details of my life, how dare you expect me to care about your personal problems.

But more than that, it's just such a useless expression. Unless you're asking if I have the time to speak, and if we're otherwise in the middle of talking then obviously I do, there's no way to phrase it that isn't either so vague you may as well not have bothered or detailed enough that you've now pretty much described whatever it is you wanted to talk about anyway.

Just say whatever it is you want to say and save us both some time.

It's a social cue that is used to indicate the person wishes to change the tone of the conversation, typically to what they perceive as a personal or sensitive subject for either party. It mitigates conversation whiplash and gives both parties a chance to mentally prepare. Do you also find facial expressions and eye contact to be a waste of time?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

And if it's at the start of a conversation it ensures you have the listener's attention. Incidentally, being called out on not listening when the speaker just launched into a vauge rant while looking at something else (for example, in general without making an effort to get my attention) is one of my pet peeves.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Greatbacon posted:

It's a social cue that is used to indicate the person wishes to change the tone of the conversation, typically to what they perceive as a personal or sensitive subject for either party. It mitigates conversation whiplash and gives both parties a chance to mentally prepare. Do you also find facial expressions and eye contact to be a waste of time?

I am posting an innocuous phrase that I find unreasonably annoying in the pet peeve thread.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

And what's the deal with people asking me "How are you?" and then not listening to me tell them and having them also tell me about how they are!?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AlphaKretin posted:

And if it's at the start of a conversation it ensures you have the listener's attention. Incidentally, being called out on not listening when the speaker just launched into a vauge rant while looking at something else (for example, in general without making an effort to get my attention) is one of my pet peeves.

:agreed:

I have a coworker who will just ask me detailed questions from across the room without so much as a "hey" when we're both in the middle of working on unrelated tasks.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Fried Watermelon posted:

And what's the deal with people asking me "How are you?" and then not listening to me tell them and having them also tell me about how they are!?

I have a supervisor who'd have to point out every time I forgot to return her 'how are you'. Don't know if she still does it, but that's probably the most annoying phone habit I've encountered.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Greatbacon posted:

That question always just scares the poo poo out of me. I mean, the purpose of it is pretty obvious but it always sounds like, "Can I ask you something? WHY DID YOU THINK YOU COULD GET AWAY WITH [imaginary thing I did wrong but forgot about]". I think it would be less scary if people went, "Oh, can I ask you about [subject]?"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Websites that make the SIGN UP button ridiculously prominent and then hide the log in button off in the corner somewhere.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
When a song comes on the radio or TV, and somebody decides to try singing along despite only knowing roughly half of the chorus. Or lip-syncs it, but you can still just barely hear that gross squish-clicking sound people make when they mouth words. (That description sounds really weird, I know, but I just hate that sound and can't think of any other way to describe it.)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Parasol Prophet posted:

When a song comes on the radio or TV, and somebody decides to try singing along despite only knowing roughly half of the chorus. Or lip-syncs it, but you can still just barely hear that gross squish-clicking sound people make when they mouth words. (That description sounds really weird, I know, but I just hate that sound and can't think of any other way to describe it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xUBdGR-z08

I'll sing along with all 5 words that I know, tyvm.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

bradzilla posted:

This again, except now it's the upstairs neighbors who are too stupid to realize why their smoke alarm is chirping every 30 seconds. I have tried to tell them to change the battery and even gave them one, yet the alarm still chirps away. :downs: The walls are paper thin and I have no idea how they don't loving hear it or want to do something about it. I have to wear earplugs to bed.

Had a neighbor move out in my neighborhood, and after a few weeks the alarm in their empty duplex went low battery and started beeping. Called the rental association, they said they would send someone out, and then didn't for two days. So I went over there, tried doors til I got lucky, took the battery out, and left. Renovators finally show up a few days later, and immediately jam a half-dead battery in the thing so it starts beeping literally while they're still there, and leave again.

Why? Who carries around a dead 9-volt?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Something bothering me since I got home for Christmas: over-organizers. The kind of person who makes a room look great and neat and everything fits perfectly in its place...but god forbid if you want to move something or add something to it. I wanted to do something as simple as plug my ps4 in and connect it to the tv. They couldn't stand having a loose cable just hanging from the side of the tv so we had to spend like 15 minutes moving the very heavy entertainment center and figuring out how to snake the cable through the back without tangling with anything else so it still looked neat. Then I needed a free plug, which of course there are none, and having something unplugged like the lamp nobody uses for a few days is just unacceptable, so we had to go out and buy a new powerstrip. When I come back next time I am fully expecting this new strip to be 100% filled up with more stuff nobody uses just so it looks "complete".

I don't mind organization, but at least leave some free space open and allow for the possibility of adding/removing/replacing something without it becoming a huge ordeal.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Dec 24, 2015

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Tourists who are really mad that when you can't give them directions somewhere. gently caress you, use a map.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
When you are going somewhere as a tourist yourself, find yourself in an area full of tourists and other tourists ask you for directions. What makes them think they are the only non-locals around?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Locals who are rude to tourists and tourists who are rude to locals. gently caress off with that poo poo, you're representing us and/or go the gently caress home if you can't behave.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Locals who are rude to tourists

Agreed SO MUCH. I actually like tourists (as long as they're not clogging up the turnstiles during rush hour), and I often go out of my way to help them if I can, but there are people who think it's funny to give tourists wrong directions or yell at them or whatever.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I know this going to make me sound like a bitter, curmudgeonly rear end in a top hat but Christmas in general. I realize I am slowly morphing into Scrooge, but every year I dread it because usually I work in retail during the holidays, so it's not like I get to see my family. Usually, I have spent Christmas alone, which I have also discovered is a bad thing to admit because friends get really upset about this on my behalf, and some have reacted with outward pity, which obviously is a little irritating.

I'm also not a big spender every other day of the year, and I don't really like having a lot of stuff, and this time of year tends to be very dominated by buying and getting stuff. Luckily, my parents don't much care for this kind of thing and take this time of the year to buy each other rude joke gifts (example: my dad had a bunch of teeth pulled a few years back, so my mom bought him a very fancy Little Mermaid toothbrush.) Like, my mom looked at me sadly a few days ago and apologized for not getting me anything very expensive this year and it was so sad.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Locals who aren't rude to tourists and tourists who aren't rude to locals. gently caress off with pretending to be pleasant, everyone knows we're all mere husks hauling around nothing but bitterness and disillusionment.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Sup scrooge buddy.

Every year I try to invite my family to come see us for the holidays because I'm tired of traveling to them every goddamn year. Every year they start whining about how traveling during the holidays is such a pain in the rear end and they don't want to do it and then in the exact same conversation ask us to fly out to see them. Apparently traveling during the holidays is only a pain in the rear end on their end and it's 100% smooth sailing for us I guess. They have been at their jobs forever and have oodles of paid time off. I'm a contractor with zero paid time off. Yet somehow it's less of an inconvenience in their eyes for me to take unpaid days off AND pay hundreds of dollars for plane tickets AND board the dogs than for them to use their paid time off and see us.

Next time I'm just going to flat-out refuse. If they want to see us they can suck it up and get on a plane during the month of November and/or December.

We've tried proposing a compromise where we come see them at some other point in the year (we do this with my husband's family and it works out really well) to avoid the holiday travel rush and price spikes but my family has some stick up their rear end about how it's ~the holidays~ and ~family time~ and it's ~not the same~. It's just an arbitrary date on the calendar! Who cares!

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Sup scrooge buddy.

Every year I try to invite my family to come see us for the holidays because I'm tired of traveling to them every goddamn year. Every year they start whining about how traveling during the holidays is such a pain in the rear end and they don't want to do it and then in the exact same conversation ask us to fly out to see them. Apparently traveling during the holidays is only a pain in the rear end on their end and it's 100% smooth sailing for us I guess. They have been at their jobs forever and have oodles of paid time off. I'm a contractor with zero paid time off. Yet somehow it's less of an inconvenience in their eyes for me to take unpaid days off AND pay hundreds of dollars for plane tickets AND board the dogs than for them to use their paid time off and see us.

Next time I'm just going to flat-out refuse. If they want to see us they can suck it up and get on a plane during the month of November and/or December.

We've tried proposing a compromise where we come see them at some other point in the year (we do this with my husband's family and it works out really well) to avoid the holiday travel rush and price spikes but my family has some stick up their rear end about how it's ~the holidays~ and ~family time~ and it's ~not the same~. It's just an arbitrary date on the calendar! Who cares!

To be honest, my dad and I did this exact same thing but with an hour and a half drive. We used to spend all of christmas day driving around seeing extended family now we just go to the usual direct family christmas party. Also, sup all my scrooge buddies. The christmas spirit within me is dead and working retail killed it. The only good thing about christmas is the food and subsequent nap from too much food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Being around someone who has a cold, and THEY DON'T loving COVER THEIR MOUTH WHEN THEY COUGH UGH.