Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

remember that it's 1000 billion for 1 trillion

here's a random article i found

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2614915

quote:

The worldwide video game marketplace, which includes video game console hardware and software, online, mobile and PC games, will reach $93 billion in 2013, up from $79 billion in 2012, according to Gartner, Inc. Driven by strong mobile gaming and video game console and software sales, the market is forecast to reach $111 billion by 2015.

i mean i seriously have no idea and have done no research other than this, but if it's somewhere between 50 and 100 billion dollars per year for the last decade, and video games have been around for 40~ years, 1-2 trillion in total seems about right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Sagebrush posted:

i think True Gamers are okay with general video game criticism, as long as it doesn't imply that their particular favorite game is anything but perfect.

TOOT BOOT's point, which I agree with, is that there is basically no criticism of games in the formal, academic sense of analysis, interpretation, and critique. Very few have, or strive to achieve, a depth that would sustain the same level of criticism as a decent poem, much less a novel or film.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Sagebrush posted:

i mean i seriously have no idea and have done no research other than this, but if it's somewhere between 50 and 100 billion dollars per year for the last decade, and video games have been around for 40~ years, 1-2 trillion in total seems about right

Maybe find the figures for a year before 2012, because I guarantee it hasn't been "between 50 and 100 billion" for 10 years.

e: here

We've seen an explosion in game sales in the past 5 years because of smartphones. You can't extrapolate that back to Pong.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 19, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

at the date posted:

Maybe find the figures for a year before 2012, because I guarantee it hasn't been "between 50 and 100 billion" for 10 years.

e: here

We've seen an explosion in game sales in the past 5 years because of smartphones. You can't extrapolate that to Pong.

wikipedia says it was just under $10 billion in 2007, so yeah

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

And to expand on this, there also isn't really serious criticism of video games as video games. People who write about the merits of games generally discuss how well they function as some other thing like a movie or comic book. Since a shitload of games fall into the category of male power fantasy, it shouldn't be surprising that the pussy dweebs who write about them focus on how "cinematic" they are (how closely they adhere to the standards set by, e.g., Furious 7). If they discuss the merits of a particular game's writing, their standard is The Killing Joke.

Basically:

(A) There is no video game tradition or canon to establish a conversation between works—even movies were very much an evolution of plays on a new medium

(B) A huge reason games can't sustain the same detailed criticism as films, novels, poetry, or visual art is that they are designed and executed by committees of mercenaries. There's no way to criticize something that is as internally contradictory as a video game. Whichever pretentious rear end in a top hat invented the term "ludonarrative dissonance" obscured the real problem, which is not the compromise between mechanics and story, but the compromise between two dialogue writers (or level designers, etc.) working on the same thing without any unifying goal except their biweekly paycheck.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 19, 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

^ i disagree~

Gus Hobbleton posted:

the true best game ever is hatoful boyfriend

sequel's out~

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
most of the good art games these days seem to be made by transgendered ladies

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

at the date posted:

And to expand on this, there also isn't really serious criticism of video games as video games. People who write about the merits of games generally discuss how well they function as some other thing like a movie or comic book. Since a shitload of games fall into the category of male power fantasy, it shouldn't be surprising that the pussy dweebs who write about them focus on how "cinematic" they are (how closely they adhere to the standards set by, e.g., Furious 7). If they discuss the merits of a particular game's writing, their standard is The Killing Joke.

Basically:

(A) There is no video game tradition or canon to establish a conversation between works—even movies were very much an evolution of plays on a new medium

(B) A huge reason games can't sustain the same detailed criticism as films, novels, poetry, or visual art is that they are designed and executed by committees of mercenaries. There's no way to criticize something that is as internally contradictory as a video game. Whichever pretentious rear end in a top hat invented the term "ludonarrative dissonance" obscured the real problem, which is not the compromise between mechanics and story, but the compromise between two dialogue writers (or level designers, etc.) working on the same thing without any unifying goal except their biweekly paycheck.

B exists in all media and especially TV

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Al! posted:

most of the good art games these days seem to be made by transgendered ladies

especially the ones that teach you how to bake chocolate cakes

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lol if your mum didn't already teach you how to bake.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mm nice cakes. Is that a family recipe?
No...my parents let me sit in my room for days on end while I transformed into the corpulent it worker you see before you. I got this recipe from a transgendered person from the internet.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Blackula69 posted:

idk i'm going to try to do all of the above via the console

ps4 supremacy, show commitment to your choices!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Lol if your mum didn't already teach you how to bake.

fuckin seriously

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
seriously if you can't cook you're loving worthless

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

SmokaDustbowl posted:

seriously if you are unwilling to even try to cook you're loving worthless

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Shaggar posted:

B exists in all media and especially TV

One the most extreme end of TV, you have collaboration among a group of writers who have more or less identical artistic goals (take Seinfeld); whereas different sections of Fallout or Bioshock Infinite might have absolutely nothing tying them together—a sense of humor, a political message, a tone, an atmosphere—nothing except the cipher that is Hardcock McGruff and his seemingly arbitrary alternation between Paragon, Renegade, and Sarcastic dialogue. If you run through a game and you think "wow, I can't believe that frustrating loving underwater level was part of the same game as the platformy bit," that's because two totally different people designed them, and a third guy decided which order to put them in, and a fourth wrote some cutscenes to string them together. Even sketch comedies are more coherent than most games.

e: and spare me examples of bad TV with inconsistent characterization, nonsense plots, bad acting, what-have-you. There's such a thing as garbage in all media (look at the MCU, a cross-media dumpster phenomenon). That's not what I'm talking about.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 19, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
can we get back to flight sim talk

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
Mario maker is good

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

ayn rand hand job posted:

Is the new Elite Dangerously good?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
cgs: rocket hockey night in canada is loving supergreat

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

maniacdevnull posted:

dangerously cheesy

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Sagebrush posted:

You don't think there's been more than a trillion dollars gone into and out of video games as an industry from the time pong was invented to today?

I mean call of doody makes a couple billion every year doesn't it? and that's just one (admittedly enormous) franchise from one publisher

nope, there's no way. maybe with inflation adjusted dollars, but even then probably not. If we say call of duty and all of the other blockbuster videogames over the past 10 years have made 50 billion, which they haven't, you still need another 950 billion. the sales numbers that come out 750m on the first day, or whatever - are overinflated bullshit and don't represent any sort of lasting demand. for movies it's roughly first weekend x 2 = total lifetime box office gross.

video games are big business but a trillion dollars is so much goddamn money

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

yeah that's exponential growth with mobile gaming though, it was nothing like that big until 2010

e: oh yeah i'm late to this party

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

at the date posted:

what are you talking about? there is a huge canon in video games. it's just that game reviewers aren't educated or intelligent so they don't know the first thing about how to compare games to one another or even how basic criticism works. how does this game stack up against the others of its genre? how are generic conventions explored or circumvented? does it do anything new with the form, or is it more of the same? what are the forces shaping the wider genre, and how are they expressed in this game? all of this is basic, entry-level poo poo that some 22-year-old dude with a communications degree from a lovely college has no conception of. you say "james agee" and these guys would say "who?"

and that's not even getting into the terrible quality of their writing. it's the thought behind video game reviewers that's flawed

quote:

no way, i disagree with this completely. again, it's a failure of game reviewers, not the games themselves. you could say the same about any blockbuster movie, especially those made in the studio system of the 1930s and 1940s. we don't need to go all auteur theory on video games, the production process is different, but there are clearly values and approaches that are codified in design documents etc. and can be broken down. even if they're not conscious on the part of the creators, games still have consistent design philosophies and approaches - and even then, an incoherent game is also clearly worthy of deconstruction. were people unable to review From Dusk Till Dawn because it was completely internally contradictory?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

at the date posted:

One the most extreme end of TV, you have collaboration among a group of writers who have more or less identical artistic goals (take Seinfeld); whereas different sections of Fallout or Bioshock Infinite might have absolutely nothing tying them together—a sense of humor, a political message, a tone, an atmosphere—nothing except the cipher that is Hardcock McGruff and his seemingly arbitrary alternation between Paragon, Renegade, and Sarcastic dialogue. If you run through a game and you think "wow, I can't believe that frustrating loving underwater level was part of the same game as the platformy bit," that's because two totally different people designed them, and a third guy decided which order to put them in, and a fourth wrote some cutscenes to string them together. Even sketch comedies are more coherent than most games.

e: and spare me examples of bad TV with inconsistent characterization, nonsense plots, bad acting, what-have-you. There's such a thing as garbage in all media (look at the MCU, a cross-media dumpster phenomenon). That's not what I'm talking about.

this also ignores the thing that makes video games different, which is a set and predictable series of mechanics with which you interact with the narrative. even if the world itself is incoherent, those mechanics can be dissected and analyzed.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
games media is almost entirely enthusiast press and said enthusiasts rarely know how to write proper criticisms beyond "looks pretty, is fun"

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
guys i just started playing kerbal space programme and it is very good. since i assume I'm the last one to jump on this bandwagon does anyone have tips for how to get science in the early part of the game?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm discovering that i'm enjoying flying civilian sims in multiplayer more and more these days, where combat stuff just doesn't really hold my attention

lord help me i'm becoming a greybeard

maniacdevnull posted:

think dangerous

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Blackula69 posted:

this also ignores the thing that makes video games different, which is a set and predictable series of mechanics with which you interact with the narrative. even if the world itself is incoherent, those mechanics can be dissected and analyzed.

In most cases, though, you don't interact with the narrative through game mechanics. There is gameplay, and there is narrative, and never the twain shall meet. Again, look at Fallout. The only possible way to interact with the predefined narrative outside of dialogue trees is by shooting a questgiver. Then again, we might have different definitions of this. :siren: star wars spoiler :siren: You might think "interacting with the narrative" means being put in Poe's gunner seat as he escapes the New Order's capital ship, but that's just a different way of watching the story. Shooting the turrets as Poe flies past them is about as participatory as just viewing the movie critically. The same goes for shooting a bunch of mooks between cutscenes.

The obvious exception would be a freeform strategy game like Crusader Kings 2. You can make all kinds of stories out of the mechanics of CK2, EU4, Kerbal Space Program, Eve Online, etc.—and people who have played them love hearing about how William the Conqueror turned out to be a gay Jew or whatever. That's why EU4 is still the universal game of the year three years running.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

vodkat posted:

guys i just started playing kerbal space programme and it is very good. since i assume I'm the last one to jump on this bandwagon does anyone have tips for how to get science in the early part of the game?

each building in the space center counts as a separate science area so you can run experiments on each of them. make something that can navigate its way around the space center or send out a kerbal on eva on the launch pad if you have that unlocked

the cheesiest, fastest way to do this is to make something round with a ton of batteries on it and use the rotation keys to roll it around the base

also you can put more than one of each experiment on a ship, so you can sample more than one regime (air, space, land, water) per flight

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

at the date posted:

In most cases, though, you don't interact with the narrative through game mechanics. There is gameplay, and there is narrative, and never the twain shall meet. Again, look at Fallout. The only possible way to interact with the predefined narrative outside of dialogue trees is by shooting a questgiver. Then again, we might have different definitions of this. :siren: star wars spoiler :siren: You might think "interacting with the narrative" means being put in Poe's gunner seat as he escapes the New Order's capital ship, but that's just a different way of watching the story. Shooting the turrets as Poe flies past them is about as participatory as just viewing the movie critically. The same goes for shooting a bunch of mooks between cutscenes.

is the last game you've played Timesplitters 2 :geno:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 19, 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

fake and gay i guess

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 19, 2015

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
same

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
i just got mrs craisins tearaway unfolded for christmas. i hated the demo but she liked it.

she also liked the lego jurassic world demo but if a lego kid asks "who's the alpha" and lego chris pratt says "you're lookin at him kid" i dont know if i could take it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pinterest Mom posted:

fake and gay i guess

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

setafd posted:

dangerously cheesy

Joe Flacco: Dangerous

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

craisins posted:

i just got mrs craisins tearaway unfolded for christmas. i hated the demo but she liked it.

she also liked the lego jurassic world demo but if a lego kid asks "who's the alpha" and lego chris pratt says "you're lookin at him kid" i dont know if i could take it

lol

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

mgsv added an awards system for getting s ranks and stuff so now my resources are almost completely maxed out, cool

they also added a sleeping gas rocket launcher

the peave walker fulton rocket launcher cant be far behind

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

they also added a sleeping gas rocket launcher

the peave walker fulton rocket launcher cant be far behind

V. Noice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
oh my god i finally read through the silent hill circumcision thing and holy lol

• Locked thread