Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Chilichimp posted:

Did he lose control of the ball going to the ground? I'm assuming so, as it's the only reason anyone would cut that extremely important part of the catch out of the gif.

Not that I could tell, but FOX's stellar camerawork and ticker placement makes it difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Philip J Fry posted:

Not that I could tell, but FOX's stellar camerawork and ticker placement makes it difficult.

I'm guessing that jarring movement of the ball after the initial impact with the ground was interpreted as losing control by the ref.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
The side judge waves the out of bounds signal though, not incomplete catch.

http://gfycat.com/PeriodicPinkDalmatian

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 15, 2015

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Philip J Fry posted:

The side judge waves the out of bounds signal though, not incomplete catch.

http://gfycat.com/PeriodicPinkDalmatian

Was it not reviewed?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chilichimp posted:

Was it not reviewed?

Even if it was it wouldn't have been a catch considering the ball movement.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That's extremely my poo poo.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Even if it was it wouldn't have been a catch considering the ball movement.

That's what I'm saying, any review would have called it an incomplete pass, because he didn't control it through the process of going to the ground.

The real question is, why are people failing about it?

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Keisel :allears:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

That's what I'm saying, any review would have called it an incomplete pass, because he didn't control it through the process of going to the ground.

Because catch / no catch is the new deflate-gate (hot button topic wise)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chilichimp posted:

Oh, yeah, I was just saying it doesn't matter if it was reviewed since it's pretty clearly not a catch and that's what they called on the field.

Calling it no catch because he went out of bounds isn't great though.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
You're reading the movement wrong. He's got the ball secure in his right hand. The ball/right hand combo jerk up when he hits the ground and his LEFT hand brushes by but he didn't actually lose control of the ball.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DancingMachine posted:

You're reading the movement wrong. He's got the ball secure in his right hand. The ball/right hand combo jerk up when he hits the ground and his LEFT hand brushes by but he didn't actually lose control of the ball.

That's debatable, and you're trying to guess what an NFL official is going to call it with millions of fans also watching the replay...

He'd have called it incomplete.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Because catch / no catch is the new deflate-gate (hot button topic wise)

i promise the catch/no catch argument has been going on a lot longer than deflategate has been around.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Cole posted:

i promise the catch/no catch argument has been going on a lot longer than deflategate has been around.

The Immaculate Reception.

Any Raiders fan care to comment on that?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Cole posted:

Oh i know that, but the whole ref's making questionable/ wrong calls is the fall back for when there isn't a Ray Rice or PSI issue etc.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
People hated the scab refs, but really... I couldn't tell the difference. People just blew up every little thing because "gently caress these scabs" or w/e.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

People hated the scab refs, but really... I couldn't tell the difference. People just blew up every little thing because "gently caress these scabs" or w/e.

I still think it's funny that the defining image of replacement ref incompetence, the call that basically got them kicked out, was a completely correct call.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Chilichimp posted:

sirtommygunn posted:

I still think it's funny that the defining image of replacement ref incompetence, the call that basically got them kicked out, was a completely correct call.

What the poo poo? :psyberger:

Do you not remember the refs loving up numbers of timeouts/downs and being easily bullied by HCs into changing their calls on the field?

As an unabashed Seahawks fan, Fail Mary was 100% an interception (and OPI to boot).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chilichimp posted:

Well if you couldn't tell they must not have existed at all.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

whypick1 posted:

Do you not remember the refs loving up numbers of timeouts/downs and being easily bullied by HCs into changing their calls on the field?

As an unabashed Seahawks fan, Fail Mary was 100% an interception (and OPI to boot).

It's not a catch until the player has both feet or another body part down. By the time the "intercepting" defender had that, the receiver had equal control of the ball. Simultaneous catch goes to the offense.

They absolutely missed the OPI but the actual refs miss that poo poo all the time.

The replacement refs were awful overall but by the time of the "Fail Mary" they had settled in enough that they were keeping big, game delaying mistakes to a minimum.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well if you couldn't tell they must not have existed at all.

Refs are poo poo. Calls are unexplainably bad every game. Hope this helps.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Chilichimp posted:

It makes me all the more impressed with the NHL refs. You don't hear as much about them loving up and they have to be able to skate and get the gently caress out of the way yet they manage to do it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sirtommygunn posted:

It's not a catch until the player has both feet or another body part down. By the time the "intercepting" defender had that, the receiver had equal control of the ball. Simultaneous catch goes to the offense.

They absolutely missed the OPI but the actual refs miss that poo poo all the time.

The replacement refs were awful overall but by the time of the "Fail Mary" they had settled in enough that they were keeping big, game delaying mistakes to a minimum.

Lol so you just don't remember it, that is fine. It happens.

I am pretty sure the league itself has said it was the wrong call so all this is just lol.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

the regular refs don't extend a game's length for an hour by not knowing the yard/down and deliberating for 15 minutes over every holding call

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol so you just don't remember it, that is fine. It happens.

I am pretty sure the league itself has said it was the wrong call so all this is just lol.

The league itself said the exact opposite of that. They agreed with the interpretation of the replacement refs even as they were throwing them out the door. It's fine if you don't remember it but please don't come in here all smug when you're objectively wrong.

I agree that this is "just lol", but for entirely different reasons.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 17, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It was the wrong call an no amount of rule stretching is going to change that. Also since you agree it was the play that got them out the door the league obviously did not agree. Hell The announcers were basically in full revolt after that game which is impressive. Considering how much dick they are willing to suck.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

It was the wrong call an no amount of rule stretching is going to change that. Also since you agree it was the play that got them out the door the league obviously did not agree. Hell The announcers were basically in full revolt after that game which is impressive. Considering how much dick they are willing to suck.

It's the play that got them kicked out because it created a massive amount of outside pressure to resolve the situation with the officials, not because it was a bad call in and of itself. People are upset literally every time a simultaneous catch is called because its a lovely rule, it just usually doesn't happen on the last play in a game-deciding manner while there are heavily scrutinized replacement officials.

Anyway this is the gif thread so I'm gonna take the cowards way out of this argument and stop making GBS threads it up with Fail Mary chat.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 17, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I have seen a couple of simultaneous catches, which this play was not one, and no one gave a poo poo. Mainly because the rule is fine and one of the easiest to spot usually.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Gif thread 2015: lets talk about 2012

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

whypick1 posted:

In an era of 49ers football defined by great Jim Harbaugh moments, him calling timeouts and challenging plays when he had no challenges or timeouts remaining, then being granted challenges and timeouts by replacement refs, was the best.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Shut the gently caress up about refs and post more gifs please.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Rando redskins the other night. Crowd shot.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
You don't get a high five, you don't get a high five, you don't get a high five, you don't get a high five.

https://gfycat.com/MatureSolidAustrianpinscher

Edit: Winston is angry
https://gfycat.com/EasyBigheartedGalapagospenguin

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 18, 2015

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Hahahahaha, gently caress Jameis Winston.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Can you blame him? His team is complete poo poo, except Doug Martin, he's cool and good.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

I'm a little rusty when it comes to reading lips, but I'm pretty sure he's yelling "gently caress HER RIGHT IN THE PUSSY!"

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
On another note, someone on the team has a last name "Lemon"

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Must throw great parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

If you listen to the worst fans, this means he's an excellent leader and will force his will on the team causing them to win.

Or maybe he's a stupid baby. I don't know. I wish we hadn't drafted a rapist, but right now I wish Lovie Smith was able to instill some discipline in the team more. And teach them how to tackle. And also be a better play caller. And not draft rapists.

gently caress Lovie.

• Locked thread