Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
From my point of view, the movie is good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

TFA is plotted and designed in such a way that most of the problems one can have with it are the ones they'd have with ANH if you didn't have the nostalgia glasses bolted to your eyes.
"What, you expect me to believe this dumb farm kid is some kind of chosen one magic guy? Who's somehow a good enough pilot that he can take out a space fortress the size of a moon? What kind of mary sue bullshit is this!?" :argh:

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I thought the acting was great from all the new cast members, and the special effects were good, but holy poo poo, this was just a near shot for shot remake of a new hope. This wasn't a sequel, it was a remake, and that pisses me off.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

I really liked that nobody did any of that cliche mistrust stuff with Finn.

When he tells them they mostly seem to think "yeah that sounds perfectly reasonable, welcome aboard."

This was one of many plot devices I was dreading they'd implement but they didn't. I really liked that Poe and Finn took to each other so quickly.

The one complaint I would definitely agree to is that the score felt really underwhelming and phoned in. Other than that I was really impressed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Chickenwalker posted:

Rey is able to use force techniques with absolutely no training, and handily beats a presumably fairly decently trained force practitioner I guess because they wanted to cash in on the "gurlz rule" movement that's going on in movies lately. 

Gonna have another hearty lol at this part, because people gettin' mad about leading female characters who aren't weaklings never stops being funny.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Lucas didn't have the money to show it but Luke's skill as a pilot is played up all through ANH. Obi Wan mentions it, Luke forcefully asserts it himself to Han. He brings it up again in the Death Star attack briefing.

Rey just starts flying poo poo out of nowhere.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

raditts posted:

Gonna have another hearty lol at this part, because people gettin' mad about leading female characters who aren't weaklings never stops being funny.
My brother's piece of poo poo MRA roommate came to see the movie with us. He dragged down the whole experience and said the movie was worse than the Phantom Menace. He then went on a tirade that the only reason Finn was in the movie is because they were pressured into having a black guy.
It was at that moment that I decided I loved the movie.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Went to see it tonight. I liked it for what it is. Kylo Ren felt more like what the prequels were attempting with Anakin but they failed to do as well as this movie did with Ren.

Bacontotem fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 19, 2015

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

raditts posted:

Leaving aside the poo poo headery of the implicit misogyny, he has a point. It's at the point where she basically just willed herself control of force powers.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Frustrated posted:

I thought the acting was great from all the new cast members, and the special effects were good, but holy poo poo, this was just a near shot for shot remake of a new hope. This wasn't a sequel, it was a remake, and that pisses me off.

It being a rehash of story beats is a valid criticism, but just to be all :goonsay: that is not what a "shot for shot remake" is.

Personally I liked the execution well enough that it didn't bother me that it didn't do a much new stuff story-wise.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

davecrazy posted:

Lucas didn't have the money to show it but Luke's skill as a pilot is played up all through ANH. Obi Wan mentions it, Luke forcefully asserts it himself to Han. He brings it up again in the Death Star attack briefing.

We don't really know anything about her past except some dude in an ugly ship flies away from her when she's like 5. She seems to be infatuated with rebel pilot memorabilia. I could accept that she can just start flying poo poo, there's no reason she couldn't have learned that at some point.

Plus, she tears apart spaceships for a living, so of course she knows how they work. At worst, she's Kenan Thompson in Snakes on a Plane.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

raditts posted:

Speaking of, I loved the part where Han explicitly threw one of those gangsters to the monster that got loose, just to erase all doubt about whether or not he would act first in killing someone to save himself.

That's very much the "shoot first" Han that a lot of people have missed since George muddled with his Special Editions. I think my favorite part had to be the scene on the freighter with the rathars. I'm hoping that the Guavian Death Gang and/or Kanjiklub make a return.

I'm a bit disappointed that Greg Grunberg is not Wedge's fat beardo son and is a wholly new character, Snap Wexley. As well, for all of that talk of Captain Phasma, she got pretty punked.

vbdevil
May 9, 2005
Not sure if this has been discussed or not, but I found a few interesting parallels. Ren killing his father completed his path to the dark side. Anakin losing his mother completed his path. On a similar note, Luke seeing Ben die was his first loss on his journey, the same for Rey seeing Han die.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Chickenwalker posted:

Rey is able to use force techniques with absolutely no training, and handily beats a presumably fairly decently trained force practitioner I guess because they wanted to cash in on the "gurlz rule" movement that's going on in movies lately.

If by "use force techniques" you mean "try three times to do a Jedi mind trick once on a Stormtrooper (who are likely susceptible to suggestion because they're essentially brainwashed to follow orders)" and "not succumb to Kylo's mind-searching / do a little feeling-searching of her own" then sure, but what other force-y stuff did she do? (See: no force telekinesis, no force jumps, no force control over elements, etc.) Also, Kylo was shot in what was likely a vital organ (kidney area) by a huge gently caress-off bowcaster and he was banging his fist on his wound during the fight, which isn't going to make the bleeding any better. Oh yeah and also he just killed his dad and was softened up a bit by Finn and his only other interaction with Rey was intimidating—she prevented him from searching her thoughts and called him on being afraid of never being as good as Vader. Those all sound like good reasons to beat a "presumably fairly decently trained force practitioner".

Edit: Also did you really say "'gurlz rule' movement" unironically holy poo poo you are hopeless.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
They weren't exactly subtle, it was directly retreading the Vader Obi War scene, to where I'm genuinely amazed a single person was surprised Han was killed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fulchrum posted:

Leaving aside the poo poo headery of the implicit misogyny, he has a point. It's at the point where she basically just willed herself control of force powers.

It seemed to me that she was only able to use them under duress, which doesn't seem implausible if you can accept that she is born with innate superpowers. After all, Luke was able to blind block lasers with barely any light saber training, and was able to use the force to hit the death star with the requisite perfect aim just by concentrating really hard.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

raditts posted:

After all, Luke was able to blind block lasers with barely any light saber training, and was able to use the force to hit the death star with the requisite perfect aim just by concentrating really hard.

Yes, loving this. "Remember to use the force, Luke." - "Oh, ok." *blows up Death Star*

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

davecrazy posted:

Eh, she drove the Falcon kinda like I fly ships in video games I'm not sure on the controls yet: 50% sliding across the ground, 50% amazing stunts that I could never, never replicate because I'm not entirely sure how I did it the first time.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Star Wars spaceships are easy to fly. We know this, because people often learn to fly immediately. It's like driving a golf buggy.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

raditts posted:

It seemed to me that she was only able to use them under duress, which doesn't seem implausible if you can accept that she is born with innate superpowers. After all, Luke was able to blind block lasers with barely any light saber training, and was able to use the force to hit the death star with the requisite perfect aim just by concentrating really hard.

She used Force Persuasion almost entirely while seeing if she could. If that's your threshold virtually every use of the force outside Anakin rehabilitating a drug dealer counts.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's called the Starkiller Base, not the Starborrower Base. :v:

Alright I'm sold. Starkiller Base and the planet it lives on is just jetting through space leeching off whatever stars it wants. Atmosphere just kind of sticks to it throughout because why not. The shield keeps it in place, there done.

Oh, and I can't believe it took me this long to put this in pro wrestling terms, but Rey only beat Kylo with a LOT of interference, she basically cashed in the Force in the Bank briefcase to win the title after Han delivered some mental damage, the gently caress off bowcaster did a lot of work, and Finn tuckered him out a bit and gave him one more little annoying wound. I expect Kylo to win the next time they meet, setting up a rubber match on some kind of wild elevated walkway or something in SW IX.

I can't wait to go see this movie again tomorrow, it should be even better the second time around, and after one viewing I already gave it a big ol BB-8 :thumbsup:.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I hate this movie, I hate this thread, and I'm pretty sure I hate this earth for producing so many people who could think this soulless committee-designed retread of a much better movie was actually good.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Chickenwalker posted:

I hate this movie, I hate this thread, and I'm pretty sure I hate this earth for producing so many people who could think this soulless committee-designed retread of a much better movie was actually good.

k

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

k

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Chickenwalker posted:

Yes... Let the hate flow through you

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

MisterBibs posted:

Eh, she drove the Falcon kinda like I fly ships in video games I'm not sure on the controls yet: 50% sliding across the ground, 50% amazing stunts that I could never, never replicate because I'm not entirely sure how I did it the first time.

When Finn says they need a pilot, she says she's a pilot. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that she's flown before, at some points, but really just never left Jakku for other reasons.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Chickenwalker posted:

loving amazing post + avatar combo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

IanTheM posted:

When Finn says they need a pilot, she says she's a pilot. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that she's flown before, at some points, but really just never left Jakku for other reasons.

She's familiar with the Falcon to the point of knowing specific modifications the owner has done too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chickenwalker posted:

Now strike Abrams down and take his place by my side!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

She's familiar with the Falcon to the point of knowing specific modifications the owner has done too.
It was a little messy but it seemed like that was the chubby dude doling out self-cooking bread mix used as his personal ride, and presumably she had sold him parts and talked to him about what he was doing with it. I don't think she knew it was the legendary millenium falcon because that freighter type's supposed to be a space truck, Han and Lando just tuned it up like one of those Japanese supertrucks.

You'll notice she thought it was trash, but it was trash that might maybe fly away from a TIE fighter, and thus preferable to fighting one on foot.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 19, 2015

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

My immersion was also ruined by the depiction of a capable female pilot with no explanation.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Chickenwalker posted:

OK, gently caress you, now you're trolling.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

NowonSA posted:

Alright I'm sold. Starkiller Base and the planet it lives on is just jetting through space leeching off whatever stars it wants. Atmosphere just kind of sticks to it throughout because why not. The shield keeps it in place, there done.

Oh, and I can't believe it took me this long to put this in pro wrestling terms, but Rey only beat Kylo with a LOT of interference, she basically cashed in the Force in the Bank briefcase to win the title after Han delivered some mental damage, the gently caress off bowcaster did a lot of work, and Finn tuckered him out a bit and gave him one more little annoying wound. I expect Kylo to win the next time they meet, setting up a rubber match on some kind of wild elevated walkway or something in SW IX.

I can't wait to go see this movie again tomorrow, it should be even better the second time around, and after one viewing I already gave it a big ol BB-8 :thumbsup:.

So the First Order is the NWO and the Resistance is Attitude era WWF

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
What a great movie. My only complaint is that I kept getting distracted by me wanting Rey to sit on my face. Other than that I couldn't be happier.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mandrel posted:

so there's no way Snoke isn't darth plagueis right? Wise, all powerful Munn sith lord who happens to look identical to the apparently still-canon appearance of Plagueis, his musical theme is nearly identical to the piece that plays in the opera in III when Palpatine is telling Anakin about him.

on the other hand, palpatine says he killed him and he always seemed like a guy who'd know for a fact whether or not he killed a guy. but then the whole point of palpatine's story was to tell Anakin about how Plagueis supposedly had the power to save people from death. but still, where would he have been this whole time? just chilling?

i can't decide if snoke being plagueis would be more or less contrived than snoke just being some super powerful sith who just appeared out of nowhere

if he existed at all, palpatine killed plagueis.

it, too, hope like that other guy that he actually is giant i was a tad bummed he turned out to be a hologram.

Fulchrum posted:

They weren't exactly subtle, it was directly retreading the Vader Obi War scene, to where I'm genuinely amazed a single person was surprised Han was killed.

yeah right when han saw kylo walk by i'm thinking oh boy dad's dead.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 19, 2015

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Just saw the movie. Yeah it's essentially a retread of A New Hope, but the new cast was refreshing enough that it didn't bother me (I mean, the threshold for bad Star Wars movies is pretty low at this point). I had to laugh when they even had a trench run part featuring Diet Porkins from Alias and every other JJ film ever. On the whole, the pacing was probably the 'worst' part for me - it was fast but there was very little decompression or breathing space. Everything was beat-beat-beat-plot point-beat-beat. It could have used a couple slower scenes, but I can understand why they would have been the first to hit the cutting room floor for today's moviegoing audience.

Ben Solo's arc is going to be interesting and honestly I didn't mind his whiny, tantrum-throwing scenes. It definitely felt like the Anakin we should have gotten. People seem to be complaining about Rey's piloting ability but her natural talent is fine with me - she's been a scavenger her whole life, so she'd know mechanics enough to know what the Falcon's had done to it, plus after she and Finn fight the TIEs off they have a fan girl moment together where they're both like OH MY GOD HOW DID WE DO THAT I HAVE NO IDEA YOU WERE AWESOME BAE so I'm happy to chalk that up to the Force. BB-8 was great and I liked how he seemed to be an R2 fanboy - rushing straight up to him after his latest adventure to see if he's awake to hear it :3:

It did dawn on me that Kylo's name gave away the spoiler by itself. Kylo - Kyl O - Kill Lo - Kill Solo. I mean, Star Wars isn't known for subtle names.

So, Rey's the natural talent at the Force, likely being the Skydaughter. Finn probably has the talent but he'd be the Leia to her Luke - has the potential, but wouldn't be strong enough to qualify as Jedi in the old system. I'm guessing that he's going to be the main antagonist in Episode 8, while Rey's off training with Luke (and some Force Ghosts), becoming a Big Deal in the Resistance until they meet up again at the end, probably ala Empire where she senses he's in danger and abandons her training early to save him - only this time Luke will also go with her, and just fuckin' own some punks with the Force.

Overall I enjoyed the film and thought it did exactly what it needed to do - entertain me, not be poo poo, and sustain my interest and disposable income enough to look forward to the next ones.

e: Snoke is probably Plagueis. I mean, he was the Sith Lord whose own apprentice bragged about being master over life-and-death, and Snoke sure looks like a dead person.

Aaronicon fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 19, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Caedar posted:

If by "use force techniques" you mean "try three times to do a Jedi mind trick once on a Stormtrooper (who are likely susceptible to suggestion because they're essentially brainwashed to follow orders)" and "not succumb to Kylo's mind-searching / do a little feeling-searching of her own" then sure, but what other force-y stuff did she do? (See: no force telekinesis, no force jumps, no force control over elements, etc.)

She not only successfully used Force telekinesis to grab the lightsabre once Finn drops it at the final fight, Kylo Ren was also trying to used Force Pull on the lightsabre at the same time and she outmuscled him. And he's a guy who can use Force Pull to freeze a blaster bolt in mid air.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
I don't feel she outmuscled him but more like the saber didn't want to be with him.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Rey is clearly Luke's offspring i called it earlier in thread. She sees him and R2 in her dream thing after touching his old saber. Not that that is strong evidence but i think it helps my theory a little.

Also who the gently caress is darth plagueis i cant honestly be expected to remember anything beyond the broad plot strokes of the prequel trilogy

As for the new death star planet thing obviously it has engines and can be moved or it would be pretty useless... The entire middle ring of the planet had been hollowed out across the whole circumference and been replaced with weapons, defense systems, etc im sure the engines are on one part of the ring too. Second point is we've been shown at least one system with multiple suns so that would be an ideal place to station it.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 19, 2015

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
1. I like how Kylo's offer to train Rey is what made her realize that it was the Force she was using and

2. I'm glad JJ didn't have the need to have a Maz voice-over when Rey closes her eyes saying "Let it in" If this was James Cameron we surely would have had not only a voice over but even a flash back of Maz's face leaning into the camera then cut to Rey opening her eyes and fighting back.

So, even though it was safe (rehash/relaunch), and even though the main baddie was a little cartoonish (Voldegollum) I'm glad the audience wasn't poo poo on.

thathonkey posted:

Also who the gently caress is darth plagueis i cant honestly be expected to remember anything beyond the broad plot strokes of the prequel trilogy

He's supposed to be a Jedi that learned how to cheat death. Maybe trained by Yoda and mentor to the emperor? I don't know if that last part is correct.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My guess is that Rey is an XX clone of Palpatine which is why she's crazy powerful in The Force. Having her be Luke's daughter is way too obvious and you can't have a SW trilogy without Palpy playing a pivotal role.

• Locked thread