Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Panzeh posted:

The only reason to use PTL is if you have adv. Sensors and to be stress free afterwards since you don't reckon when you're stressed.

Oooh, I see. PTL+Adv Sensors, so you uncloak, do 2 things, THEN a green to clear stress and still have a ton of mobility because you're Echo?

It's interesting, but I feel like it's less useful and more trolly. Whereas the VI + ACD + Weapon + FCS build does one thing and does it well

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Pretty much, yep, except some of the mobility comes before you take your actions, don't forget the decloak nerf. Doing decloak/barrel roll/focus/2bank is just funny.

The other option is to leave your PTL until you shoot, in which case you can PTL off the free cloak for lols.

Mostly i like Adv. sensors because the really make your movement flexible and make dodging rocks a lot easier, but FCS is far superior for actual attack ability.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

thespaceinvader posted:

Pretty much, yep, except some of the mobility comes before you take your actions, don't forget the decloak nerf. Doing decloak/barrel roll/focus/2bank is just funny.

The other option is to leave your PTL until you shoot, in which case you can PTL off the free cloak for lols.

Mostly i like Adv. sensors because the really make your movement flexible and make dodging rocks a lot easier, but FCS is far superior for actual attack ability.

Decloak nerf? I'm not familiar with it, i don't use it much in general.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Deviant posted:

Decloak nerf? I'm not familiar with it, i don't use it much in general.

The timing of it got changed. Originally you decloaked before revealing your maneuver dial, and now you have to declare decloaks and resolve them at the very beginning of the activation step period. Prevents high PS phantoms from having way too many repositioning shenanigans after everything else on the board has moved.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy poo poo I stumbled on a post from a guy on the FFG forums (I wasn't there on purpose) gloating about how he has 8 goddamn M3-A Scyk Interceptors. What the sweet gently caress.

Also 15 loving Z-95's and 11 Kihraxyzmmorpgbbqwtf.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I wanted to run a Team Epic Scum force of 4 Ys and 8 Zs to pretend I'm a pirate force from TIE Fighter but I don't know why you'd want more than 8 of something, cripes

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I dunno, maybe bigger Epic play stuff? People should buy as many ships as they want. When Rebel Aces was on crazy discount as CSI, I bought two of them because I use Prototype pilots and want them to be blue.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AndyElusive posted:

Holy poo poo I stumbled on a post from a guy on the FFG forums (I wasn't there on purpose) gloating about how he has 8 goddamn M3-A Scyk Interceptors. What the sweet gently caress.

Also 15 loving Z-95's and 11 Kihraxyzmmorpgbbqwtf.

A fool and his money...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm not into ship shaming or anything, don't get me wrong.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Booyah- posted:

I dunno, maybe bigger Epic play stuff? People should buy as many ships as they want. When Rebel Aces was on crazy discount as CSI, I bought two of them because I use Prototype pilots and want them to be blue.

Isn't there a limit of 8 per ship type? I guess you can house rule whatever you want but yeah.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

BattleMaster posted:

Isn't there a limit of 8 per ship type? I guess you can house rule whatever you want but yeah.

12 in regular epic, 8 per player in team epic

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

AndyElusive posted:

I'm not into ship shaming or anything, don't get me wrong.

I am. That guy's a moron.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Am I crazy for wanting to do this to my Decimator:

Dazzle camo rules.

I'm also planning to do a cloak effect on my Phantom just 'cos.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Am I crazy for wanting to do this to my Decimator:

Dazzle camo rules.

I'm also planning to do a cloak effect on my Phantom just 'cos.

Hell yeah, I've always thought about painting dazzle camo on a ship or two!

Also, I'm after some suggestions for my first 666-based list, below. Although I've used it in a couple of games already and met success, although I think that it was primarily due to my insanely good rolls, as opposed to my opponent's absolutely terrible ones.
My goal with Bossk is to be able to try and avoid missing each turn all costs, to make use of Greedo and the Mangler cannon's crits, to try and melt the enemy ships away before he inevitably starts taking hull damage. However I'd really like to have an EU upgrade if possible (not sure what to ditch though - I'd be relatively happy to remove CS and OT, but that won't cut it), or worst case scenario perhaps a hot-shot blaster, seeing as if someone gets behind him, there's no way Bossk will be able to fend them off without the Kihraxz fighters doing the legwork.

quote:

Bossk (35)
Crack Shot (1)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Outlaw Tech (2)
Greedo (1)
Gunner (5)

Black Sun Ace (23)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Glitterstim (2)

Black Sun Ace (23)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Glitterstim (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I still think Latts Razzi wants to be the core of a Scum list rather than Bossk. I think her ability is a lot more useful, esecially with the crew upgrades you can stick on. Just annoying she can't grab the Long Range Sensors.

This is what I'd do with her, I want to try it sometime:

Latts Razzi (33)
Tractor Beam (1)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Weapons Engineer (3)
"Hot Shot" Blaster (3)

Talonbane Cobra (28)
Swarm Tactics (2)
Cloaking Device (2)
Stygium Particle Accelerator (2)

N'Dru Suhlak (17)
Lone Wolf (2)
"Hot Shot" Blaster (3)

Total: 99

I'm not sure about the Talonbane loadout though. Hanging so much on the cloaking device not crapping out seems risky. Obviously the strategy would be to keep Latts and Talonbane next to each other, bear them down on someone, give Latts Swarm Tactics so she's getting two TLs and a focus, get the Tractor shot off, then have Talonbane unload at range 1 (using the decloak to get close) with 5 dice against -2 agility. And N'Dru just run interference on the other flank.

E: and if you're doing a big ship and two small ones, my feeling is that you're better off with a high-PS ace and a low-PS blocker than two middling guys.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
My best success with the YV-666 has been with this:

Trandoshan Slaver (29)
Bossk (2)
Gunner (5)
Tactician (2)
Inertial Dampeners (1)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Total: 99

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
I think I ended up with like 17 TIE Fighters somehow, don't ask me why. This hobby is so deceptively cheap that I have no problem ordering like four of everything that comes out without batting an eye haha

The 666 list I just ran and lost with was a Trandoshan Slaver with gunner and Bossk, Talonbane with EU, predator and glitterstim and then Graz the hunter with I think just glitterstim.

The Kihraxezes just go down so quick and then once the garbage machine is the only ship left on the board things get tough. Maybe I should have been more aggressive with it to encourage my opponent to shoot at it first but my instinct with that ship is always to fly slow to keep things in arc as long as possible before I have to turn around.

Pairing it up with a bunch of Z95s is probably a lot more sensible since they pack a punch as a group and yet are not super obvious targets in and of themselves the way Talonbane is for example.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

There's a small, more casual tournament coming up and I'm thinking of running this. I'm just at a debate on if I should fill the last 2 points with something or if I should just leave it at 98 for the initiative bid.

I tried putting an Ion Bomb on Miranda in a few games I've tried with this, I'm just terrible at using and planning for bombs.

98/100
Poe Dameron (37)
T-70 X-Wing (31), R5-P9 (3), Veteran Instincts (1), Autothrusters (2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (26)
Y-Wing (18), BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0), R3-A2 (2), Twin Laser Turret (6)

Miranda Doni (35)
K-Wing (29), Twin Laser Turret (6)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
R3-A2 can only add a stress token when you declare a target, so the TLT is probably a bit pricey. Recommend ion cannon instead, which you can also use at range 1, or for some crowd control.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

R3-A2 can only add a stress token when you declare a target, so the TLT is probably a bit pricey. Recommend ion cannon instead, which you can also use at range 1, or for some crowd control.

It's better to be able to double stress someone at range 3 than range 1, tbqh.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
:shrug: most of my games take place at range 1 or 2, with maybe one round of firing (often not even a full round) at range 3.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
You could always add a tactician to Miranda for extra stress hilarity. Of course it only works out her front arc and at range 2 so you have to know what you're doing with a K-Wing but unlike R3-A2 it would trigger twice during a TLT. Or Advanced SLAM which admittedly isn't as cool if you aren't strapped down with a bomb, but it still allows you to take a TL after SLAMing away or something.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Strobe posted:

:shrug: most of my games take place at range 1 or 2, with maybe one round of firing (often not even a full round) at range 3.

BTL-A4 Ys are so unmaneuverable that you're sometimes lucky to get one shot at range three. Locking your key trick to range 1-2 is a terrible plan.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
Do you think we'll ever get any backwards compatibility with tech upgrades? Maybe a modification? I was just thinking how neat it would be to be able to equip a Comm Relay on Kir Kanos. Not sure if there are any other under utilized pilots that would super benefit from Weapons Guidance of Comm Relay but having more options would be cool!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ZenMastaT posted:

Do you think we'll ever get any backwards compatibility with tech upgrades? Maybe a modification? I was just thinking how neat it would be to be able to equip a Comm Relay on Kir Kanos. Not sure if there are any other under utilized pilots that would super benefit from Weapons Guidance of Comm Relay but having more options would be cool!

I'd put comm relay on every TIE fighter if I could. It's a really good upgrade on high agility ships.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Hello thread, been a while. Hadn't been playing much locally for various reasons, but there's a mostly friendly tournament taking place tomorrow at a local shop and I was thinking of dropping by. What's the competitive meta looking like in general right now? Was debating between auto/stealth interceptors, Decimator/Phantom, or a pair of IG-2000s. Any huge shake ups besides the new starter set in the last wave?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dulkor posted:

Hello thread, been a while. Hadn't been playing much locally for various reasons, but there's a mostly friendly tournament taking place tomorrow at a local shop and I was thinking of dropping by. What's the competitive meta looking like in general right now? Was debating between auto/stealth interceptors, Decimator/Phantom, or a pair of IG-2000s. Any huge shake ups besides the new starter set in the last wave?

The Twin Laser Turret was the big shakeup in Wave 7. Expect to see a few of those. Three dice, range 2-3, if you hit you deal one damage and cancel all dice. Then perform the attack a second time.

They're low, but very consistent, damage dealers against most ships.

Also note that the rules for MoV on large ships have changed. If you take off half a large ship's health, you get half its points.

Interceptors with PTL, Autothrusters, and your choice of Targeting Computer or Stealth Device are still very competitive. Soontir gonna Soontir no matter what.

Decimators have kind of fallen out of vogue, mostly because of TLTs, but one made it into the top 8 at Worlds so they're not terrible.

Brobots continue to be the among the best Scum lists. You can also fit 4 TLT Y-wings with agromechs. It's boring to fly but pretty strong.

On the rebel side, the new T-70 Xwings are baller. The top ace, Poe Dameron, is really good. I fly almost exclusively Imperial, but when I switch, it's so I can fly a T-70.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

admanb posted:

BTL-A4 Ys are so unmaneuverable that you're sometimes lucky to get one shot at range three. Locking your key trick to range 1-2 is a terrible plan.

They get 2-hard in white. I play 95% X-wings, so the lack of reposition doesn't bother me. The 2-hard is the single most common turn I do regardless of ship, so I honestly don't notice the difference unless I'm suddenly really hurting to do a 3-hard or 4-forward for range reasons, neither of which I'm terribly likely to do in a furball in the first place. :shrug:

Boost and barrel roll are great actions to have, but I get the distinct impression that they've spoiled people from playing ships that don't have them. They're convenient and easy, their absence isn't crippling by default.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I had a good time playing the following list:

Eaden Vrill — YT-2400 32
Heavy Laser Cannon 7
Ship Total: 39

Poe Dameron — T-70 X-Wing 31
Veteran Instincts 1
R5-P9 3
Autothrusters 2
Ship Total: 37

Blue Squadron Pilot — B-Wing 22
Fire-Control System 2
Ship Total: 24

I wanted to play with the YT-2400, but I didn't really want to make a Super Dash and Corran Horn list. I remembered having fun with Eaden Vrill, as he can deal with any PtL arc dodger really well.

I won three games against Imperials with this list, but some of that was due to either my opponent making some early game blunders, or being a newer player. I did have lots of success by having the B-Wing out front of Eaden on the initial joust, and then having Poe fly up a side of the board to turn in and try to pick something off from the side. At least one of my opponents was too used to facing an Outrider and played aggressive to get close, when Eaden isn't so worried about that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

They get 2-hard in white. I play 95% X-wings, so the lack of reposition doesn't bother me. The 2-hard is the single most common turn I do regardless of ship, so I honestly don't notice the difference unless I'm suddenly really hurting to do a 3-hard or 4-forward for range reasons, neither of which I'm terribly likely to do in a furball in the first place. :shrug:

Boost and barrel roll are great actions to have, but I get the distinct impression that they've spoiled people from playing ships that don't have them. They're convenient and easy, their absence isn't crippling by default.

High PS is mostly useless without repositioning.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Panzeh posted:

High PS is mostly useless without repositioning.

Considering that my signature list is three high PS pilots with no repositioning and I do pretty well for myself I'm gonna emphatically disagree on this one.

EDIT: there are two tiers of high PS. PS 8-9 are high, but generally don't perform well against arc dodgers if initiative is in the air. I play 9/10/10 with a 2-3 point initiative bid, so I generally don't give a whole lot of a poo poo whether someone brings a high PS arc dodger to the table. He will move before me, and make the arc dodgyness significantly less reliable.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I just jumped into this by buying the new starter kit, imperial aces, a TIE punisher, and a TIE defender. Hopefully none of those things are horrible!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ghetto wormhole posted:

I just jumped into this by buying the new starter kit, imperial aces, a TIE punisher, and a TIE defender. Hopefully none of those things are horrible!

Good, Great, jury's probably still out but average at worst, and bad until a few months from now (and then great).

You did pretty good, I'd say.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Plus the defender has good cards like predator that can buff your rest! Go get a tie interceptor for soontir and you are gold my friend.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I think the TIE/fo may be my new favourite ship, which feels weird since I've mostly been a die-hard rebel player. That extra shield, S-Loops, and the incredible abilities of their unique pilots all combine into a really fun and remarkably survivable combat platform.

I've already preordered one at my FLGS (these things take a while longer to get to where I live), but I may have to increase my order to two or three.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Orvin posted:

I had a good time playing the following list:

Eaden Vrill — YT-2400 32
Heavy Laser Cannon 7
Ship Total: 39

Poe Dameron — T-70 X-Wing 31
Veteran Instincts 1
R5-P9 3
Autothrusters 2
Ship Total: 37

Blue Squadron Pilot — B-Wing 22
Fire-Control System 2
Ship Total: 24

I wanted to play with the YT-2400, but I didn't really want to make a Super Dash and Corran Horn list. I remembered having fun with Eaden Vrill, as he can deal with any PtL arc dodger really well.

I won three games against Imperials with this list, but some of that was due to either my opponent making some early game blunders, or being a newer player. I did have lots of success by having the B-Wing out front of Eaden on the initial joust, and then having Poe fly up a side of the board to turn in and try to pick something off from the side. At least one of my opponents was too used to facing an Outrider and played aggressive to get close, when Eaden isn't so worried about that.

This list is extremely my poo poo and drat do I want to fly it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dulkor posted:

My feeling is that auto/stealth inties are going down in the meta as stress-based control is becoming more common, because auto/stealth interceptors absolutely DEMAND that they have actions to use to reposition and/or get tokens. Soontir can take a round of getting stress because every one gets him a focus, but once he's sitting on a stack of three or four stress, he;s dead meat, and that's easily done. Not to mention the number of new things arriving that can just outright guarantee putting damage onto things without needing to hit, which just murder Soontir if they ever get him in arc at all.

The most competitive guy in my group basically said that anything you put up into a competition has to have a way to deal with high-PS arcdodgers. Which is going to push them down in the meta.

Which sucks, because they're hella fun.

The list I'm planning on running for tournaments next year is Oicunn with Predator, Mara, Vader, Isard, Dauntless, and Whisper with Rebel Captive, VI, ACD, FCS, for 99 points. Oicunn + stressors can deal with arcdodgers and arcdodger killers, Whisper should be going before almost anything else.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Can someone put together a list of rules that people often get wrong or overlook? I keep seeing stuff like people barrel rolling at the beginning of their movement and I'm all like WHOA you can do that?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
While there are definitely things that shut down Fel, he's still the gold standard elite pilot for the game. The trick is to run him with some ships that can make up for his fragility, so that your whole list isn't trying to run and hide from the same ship(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Common mistakes:

1) focus changes all eye results on one roll, not just one result.
2) secondary weapons like cannons and Missiles don't add an extra attack/defense die are range 1 and 3
3) flying over a rock or bumping a ship makes you lose your action step, but you can take another action if something gives you one later in the turn (friendly abilities for example)
4) move then action, but there are a few things (Advanced Sensors) that give you your action before you move.
5) you can only measure ranges in the shooting phase, and only from the ship that's firing next, OR you can measure ranges for an ability when it is relevant to check. No measuring shooting range or arcs in the movement phase.

Probably the most common tripping points.

• Locked thread