Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Boy having a smooth framerate and mouse makes Turok seem short and easy :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Boy having a smooth framerate and mouse makes Turok seem short and easy :v:

Yeah WSAD and mouse is a far cry away from the N64's awkward analog stick and buttons.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Another Quakespasm question: what's the console command to turn off auto save?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It has autosave?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm enjoying that Turok remaster there, thumbs up. Wild stuff.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah WSAD and mouse is a far cry away from the N64's awkward analog stick and buttons.

Powerslave EX has a new hard mode specifically to compensate for the faster, more precise control on PC. Pity Turok doesn't have one.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Shadow Hog posted:

It has autosave?

Maybe playing some mod that implements an autosave?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Dominic White posted:

Powerslave EX has a new hard mode specifically to compensate for the faster, more precise control on PC. Pity Turok doesn't have one.

Pretty sure it does, hardcore mode seems to make every enemy move and shoot way faster.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Pretty sure it does, hardcore mode seems to make every enemy move and shoot way faster.

The original game had a hard mode that gave all enemies more HP (+50% iirc) and enemies did not drop ammo or health. It was the only way to play Turok back in the day :clint:

Glad they added a harder mode.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

laserghost posted:

Go and check some Duke3D maps and campaigns for more of Build3D goodness. The switch to Doom after Duke3D may be a little jarring, because Doom is much simpler technology wise, and original levels sure show their age, but there is a ton of excellent mapsets which stretch the possibilities of the engine. Quake on the other hand feels more visceral and focused on combat than level exploration. Quake 2 on the other hand, while more varied and advanced in terms of tech, is much duller and more of "corridor explorer". Unreal, on the other hand, is a wonderful expansion on the core ideas of Quake, with enormous levels and varied enemy designs.
What I reccomend, is to play the title that you find the most interesting right now, then some add-ons and maps to see how certain games can be expanded and explored, design-wise. Then go on and check next game on the list. I don't actually consider Half-Life a part of the "classic" shooters, it's much more story-driven and scripted than the other games which we discuss here, but that's just me.

The games you should probably add to your "to-play" list are Marathon (the level design is not that great, but it is a quite unique game with interesting ideas), Outlaws (a little simple gameplay wise, but some maps are impressive and the soundtrack is genius), The Terminator: Future Shock and SkyNET (a little more tactical than the rest, but still great shooters), Chasm: The Rift (an interesting game, with gameplay placed somewhere between Quake and Doom) and SiN (the engine is dodgy as balls and the game tries to mimick Half-Life a little bit too much, but if you can make it work, it has some interesting stuff inside). Also Painkiller: Black Edition, because it's a super fun retooling of classic FPS designs (it plays like something between Quake and Serious Sam). Don't care about addons and Hell & Damnation too much, though, addons vary from mediocre but playable to absolute poo poo, and H&D is horribly optimized.

I'm not so sure about playing Marathon, I viewed some people play it on Youtube and it seemed too simple, so did 'Outlaws' but I think the cartoons will be interesting enough for me to desire to play it. These other games though look so interesting to me, I might purchase them if they become cheap enough so that I will not care if I do not enjoy them. I thought CHASM: THE RIFT was the most interesting of all the games, I am going to purchase it this winter now that I have much free time and can waste it on frivolous things. Thank you for your expert opinions.

Heavy Metal posted:

You'd probably also dig stuff like No One Lives Forever, but that's a bit less oldschool.

This game looks SO cool.

I appreciate the recommendations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Shayu posted:

I'm not so sure about playing Marathon, I viewed some people play it on Youtube and it seemed too simple, so did 'Outlaws' but I think the cartoons will be interesting enough for me to desire to play it. These other games though look so interesting to me, I might purchase them if they become cheap enough so that I will not care if I do not enjoy them. I thought CHASM: THE RIFT was the most interesting of all the games, I am going to purchase it this winter now that I have much free time and can waste it on frivolous things. Thank you for your expert opinions.

This game looks SO cool.

A lot of people don't care for it because of the confusing and overly-complicated level design and hub system, but give Hexen a shot. It's a really neat game, if you don't mind being frustrated and maybe having to look at a guide every once in a while.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
No One Lives Forever is a loving amazing game if you dig that old-school 80s spy stuff. I definitely recommend it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Shayu posted:

This game looks SO cool.

The first Marathon has really simple mapping but there's a few levels which are really good. It's the second and third games where you start to get interesting designs.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You want complex designs, just jump ahead to Marathon Infinity, it'll keep your 3d maze desires satisfied for years.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
First patch for Turok is out. Adds head-bobbing options and various crash and bug fixes.

It sounds like mods will be a thing, too - a lot of stuff is implemented in Angelscript, and they're trying to clean up their internal level editor for a public release.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Is it just me or do the enemies "switch on" a lot quicker in Turok Remastered? I'm guessing it's related to the increased rendering distance or something but I do think it's more fun this way... maybe it's intentional?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I've been looking for an hour for an obscure, yet at time widely discussed mod, Star Wars Quake (also known as Call of the Force). The development started in 1997 (for Q1 incarnation) and was halted in November of 2001 (Q2 version), after ton of work supposedly made, but only meager test deathmatch versions were ever released, despite a SP campaign being teased for a very long time in press. The story was supposed to follow the EU book called Call To Power, player character being young Jedi, and the son of Empire general stationing on one of the Star Destroyes. When one of the Emperor's headhunters enters the warship to hunt for here, his father sends him in evacuation pod to planet where Jedi knights supposedly have their base (I've never read any of the SW books and I'm only transliterating what I've read from magazine, so feel free to correct the story if you know it). Anyway, at it's best, the TC was going to have a lengthy singleplayer campaign with lots of features (free-roaming levels, controllable vehicles, computer map system that could warp you between levels, usage of the Force and lightsaber etc), and multiplayer focused on lightsaber duels and "capture the Ewok". None of it come to fruition, there are no screenshots on the internet and barely any files (the only downloadable one I've found is on fileplanet and corrupted - the mod loads and kinda works, but crashes randomly and models are glitched).

The screenshots below are from my copy of scanned CD-Action magazine, where I've read about the mod many, many years ago (the author of the preview stated, that the works are close to be finished and probably in two months the TC will be released... yeah):

all of them: http://imgur.com/a/XylIa

I'm sure there are somewhere screenshots in better quality (one of the dev's archived website mentions the screenshots being published on one of the PC Zone's coverdisks), but what I'm really looking for are the released versions of the mod, because they should be somewhere archived, maybe on some dodgy shovelware level collection, or obscure magazine coverdisks...

e: just found this article, showing some lightsaber action in high resolutions! http://www.gamechronicles.com/features/modsquad2/body.htm

laserghost fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 20, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

laserghost posted:

I'm sure there are somewhere screenshots in better quality (one of the dev's archived website mentions the screenshots being published on one of the PC Zone's coverdisks), but what I'm really looking for are the released versions of the mod, because they should be somewhere archived, maybe on some dodgy shovelware level collection, or obscure magazine coverdisks...
I found a multiplayer beta on the fractured corpse of Fileplanet. Google Chrome doesn't seem to think too kindly of it or Fileplanet's download server at the moment, though, so exercise appropriate caution.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Yeah, I've downloaded it, the file seems to be corrupted, there are no weapon models, the player models have badly aligned textures and overall the whole thing is a buggy mess.

Bonus image from unrelated Quake SW mod:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
C3PO got swole.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

QwertySanchez posted:

I never knew they got the SMB3 thing that far. The only version I've seen of it before now was this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj4HJkeQSg0

The story goes that John Carmack managed to figure out smooth full screen scrolling on PC and thus spent all night recreating the first level of SMB3 with it, he put the prototype on a floppy labelled 'run me' and left it on Romero's desk, I guess that's why that version used Dangerous Dave.

As characters go, I really like Dangerous Dave. The early treasure collecting game's alright but I really like the way Haunted Mansion and the sequels on that engine play. Incidentally that engine ended up being used for the commander keen games, and while he ended up making a cameo in Doom 2's super secret level, (and is apparently related to both Doomguy and BJ Blaskowicz) Dangerous Dave seems to have been long forgotten. It would have been pretty cool if he'd gone the Duke Nukem route and we'd gotten an FPS out of him. It would have probably been very Evil Dead inspired, like Blood.

Sounds to me like an unofficial Dangerous Dave game made using Gloome could be a fun project

dis astranagant posted:

The original Turok games were also notable for being part of one of Acclaim's desperate and hilariously stupid marketing schemes. They offered to pay a small sum to new parents who named their babies Turok. Around that time they also tried to buy ad space on actual tombstones for a comic book tie in game about a dude who fights Jack the Ripper in Hell.

Part of me will always hate Acclaim for what they did to the first incarnation of Valiant Comics

Casimir Radon posted:

Don't bother with Redneck Rampage in any form. It's awful.

I still want to see a modern revival of that franchise, think it could have some potential with the right developer

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

drrockso20 posted:

I still want to see a modern revival of that franchise, think it could have some potential with the right developer

Before Shadow Warrior 2013 I would have disagreed, but somehow that ended up being way better than DNF or ROTT2013 so maybe the worse the source material is the better the reboot gets?

I thought Redneck Rampage was okay when I was a kid but it was one of the few FPSes I had a full copy of instead of just shareware. :v:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
If the source material is generally agreed to be deeply flawed, you don't feel constrained by it so you're free to just cherrypick a few things that worked and build around that.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I thought ROTT13 was pretty ok, but I think it tried to be too faithful to the original game. Shadow Warrior instead played like how we wished the original game was.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Honestly, I don't think a new Redneck Rampage game would work. Maybe as an adventure game, where you can flesh out the characters and locations. The original was a weird mix of corny sci-fi like alien babes with shooting bras and poo poo-throwing gremlins, together with southern stereotypes (and horrible, ugly graphics), and it really has less substance than Shadow Warrior. SW would be much better without terrible rascism and more fantasy/oriental levels, but in the end the mix worked.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

laserghost posted:

I've been looking for an hour for an obscure, yet at time widely discussed mod, Star Wars Quake (also known as Call of the Force).

Speaking of Star Wars mods, are there any good ones out there? Preferably less lightsabering. I know about Darkest Hour for Doom, and I guess there's one being developed for Duke right now that looks like it could be fun. There's also a couple other Duke ones that... don't sound good honestly.

I was thinking about it, Strife would make a good base for a Star Wars mod if someone was willing to put in the effort to take advantage of the features.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What's the Duke one called?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

What's the Duke one called?

Duke Forces, it seems to be mixing Duke and Star Wars.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Geight posted:

Before Shadow Warrior 2013 I would have disagreed, but somehow that ended up being way better than DNF or ROTT2013 so maybe the worse the source material is the better the reboot gets?

I thought Redneck Rampage was okay when I was a kid but it was one of the few FPSes I had a full copy of instead of just shareware. :v:

Admittedly looking back the best thing about the original game was it's manual which was brilliantly made(being styled as a local newspaper)

laserghost posted:

Honestly, I don't think a new Redneck Rampage game would work. Maybe as an adventure game, where you can flesh out the characters and locations. The original was a weird mix of corny sci-fi like alien babes with shooting bras and poo poo-throwing gremlins, together with southern stereotypes (and horrible, ugly graphics), and it really has less substance than Shadow Warrior. SW would be much better without terrible rascism and more fantasy/oriental levels, but in the end the mix worked.

I'd say the core idea about RNR still works, a couple of gun happy rednecks go shoot up a bunch of aliens and alien made clones of local oddballs and get drunk in the process, and really in the almost 20 years since the original game there's been a lot of things that have happened that'd be prime for mocking by such a game, was also thinking it'd make for a good co-op focused game

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

catlord posted:

Speaking of Star Wars mods, are there any good ones out there?

Doomed Space Wars got a runner-up status in the latest Cacowards, so you can try that. Like Duke Force apparently, it's a hybrid setting rather than pure Star Wars.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

catlord posted:

Speaking of Star Wars mods, are there any good ones out there? Preferably less lightsabering. I know about Darkest Hour for Doom, and I guess there's one being developed for Duke right now that looks like it could be fun. There's also a couple other Duke ones that... don't sound good honestly.

I was thinking about it, Strife would make a good base for a Star Wars mod if someone was willing to put in the effort to take advantage of the features.

Star Wars: Chibi Rebellion on the more light-hearted side and crammed full of all sorts of references.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

kmxexii posted:

Star Wars: Chibi Rebellion on the more light-hearted side and crammed full of all sorts of references.

Cat Mattress posted:

Doomed Space Wars got a runner-up status in the latest Cacowards, so you can try that. Like Duke Force apparently, it's a hybrid setting rather than pure Star Wars.

Ah! Grabbed both of those. I had a demo for Doomed Space Wars around, I didn't realise it got finished. Chibi Rebellion is interesting too, but it plays... strange? It certainly doesn't feel like Doom, that's for sure.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Chibi rebellion is pretty good, and I say that as a guy who's never seen Star Wars. The level order is randomly generated, there's always the same template but what maps are put into that template are randomized. I don't think I've seen a FPS do something like that before, and the short level size means that they all have something neat or interesting to them. The only problem I had with it was that there's no widescreen support so the weapon sprites will cut off at the sides.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of Star Wars but not really Star Wars mods, this just got dropped in our lap. A single demo map. You have to punch guards to death (they're gonna kill you a lot), take their guns (press use, you can dual wield, the second gun is shot with secondary fire), grab some gizmo from inside a special crate (activate the crate to release it, then crouch inside the crate) and finally commandeer a shuttle to make your escape.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Does Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy have any single player mods worth a run through? Jedi Knight had some bananas-crazy good levels made by fans.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Jblade posted:

Chibi rebellion is pretty good, and I say that as a guy who's never seen Star Wars. The level order is randomly generated, there's always the same template but what maps are put into that template are randomized. I don't think I've seen a FPS do something like that before, and the short level size means that they all have something neat or interesting to them. The only problem I had with it was that there's no widescreen support so the weapon sprites will cut off at the sides.

Chibi Rebellion keeps kicking my rear end/I keep getting lost. I get a mission, most often from the Nothoth base, get a couple maps in and either run out of ammo and die or can't figure out how to proceed. Somethign so cute shouldn't make me feel so dumb. Do you have any tips?

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

catlord posted:

Chibi Rebellion keeps kicking my rear end/I keep getting lost. I get a mission, most often from the Nothoth base, get a couple maps in and either run out of ammo and die or can't figure out how to proceed. Somethign so cute shouldn't make me feel so dumb. Do you have any tips?

its been a long time since I played it, but I do remember that combat can be a real pain in the rear end starting out (not sure about lower difficulties). I abused the poo poo out of the fusion cutter (your melee weapon / tool) to save up on ammo when dealing with the wampas and other melee things. the first time I got stuck was at some little jawa fort where you had to lob a grenade through a ventilation duct so that it would fall down and blow up the generator. another thing that took me forever to figure out was that the imperial loaders can only be damaged by blowing up the crates they are about to throw at you.

here's my review; it may not be the greatest cheat sheet, but it might help you out. just click the headers to expand them

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Has anyone else tried out Skulldash after seeing it recommended by the Cacowards? I've been really enjoying it but finding it difficult to collect all the skull tokens in any level after tier one.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

kmxexii posted:

its been a long time since I played it, but I do remember that combat can be a real pain in the rear end starting out (not sure about lower difficulties). I abused the poo poo out of the fusion cutter (your melee weapon / tool) to save up on ammo when dealing with the wampas and other melee things. the first time I got stuck was at some little jawa fort where you had to lob a grenade through a ventilation duct so that it would fall down and blow up the generator. another thing that took me forever to figure out was that the imperial loaders can only be damaged by blowing up the crates they are about to throw at you.

here's my review; it may not be the greatest cheat sheet, but it might help you out. just click the headers to expand them

Ah, thanks. I got stuck at that Jawa fort too.

Also, you do onemandoom? That's awesome, you do good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
:frogsiren: Bethesda catalog on sale on GOG.com :frogsiren:
66% off the Dooms and Quakes and Wolfensteins. 75% off if you also buy the Fallouts and Elder Scrolls.