Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
shut the gently caress up gampy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Feral_Shofixti posted:

His analysis is based on the 40 years of existing data on the modern primary system, combined with the fact that this early in the cycle, polling is essentially a red herring. If Trump is still flashing numbers like this after Iowa (and probably NH), we can talk about legitimate odds. Trump's two major political endorsements up to this point are David Duke and Vladimir Putin.

I agree with you that Joementum is probably a bit off by acting like Trump still has NO chance, but if you seriously think it's above 5%, you should probably look into some history. The last two GOP primary cycles are probably enough, but feel free to keep digging if you want more evidence of early front runners getting blown up when ballots are cast.

I'm more confused about the notion that Jeb! is a favorite to win than I am the notion that Trump can't win. Pretty much no one likes Jeb! other than a small number of rich corporate and neocon donors. His favorability numbers are terrible even in comparison to someone like Romney who wasn't exactly loved by the base, his poll numbers have gotten consistently lower throughout the entire cycle and now average around 4%. He has zero charisma or political skill and constantly says mind-bendingly stupid things for a Republican candidate or any candidate running for President to say. Even his precious endorsements are relatively modest in number and come mostly from months ago before his campaign had entirely imploded, this is something that even Nate Silver has acknowledged.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

MaxxBot posted:

I'm more confused about the notion that Jeb! is a favorite to win than I am the notion that Trump can't win. Pretty much no one likes Jeb! other than a small number of rich corporate and neocon donors. His favorability numbers are terrible even in comparison to someone like Romney who wasn't exactly loved by the base, his poll numbers have gotten consistently lower throughout the entire cycle and now average around 4%. He has zero charisma or political skill and constantly says mind-bendingly stupid things for a Republican candidate or any candidate running for President to say. Even his precious endorsements are relatively modest in number and come mostly from months ago before his campaign had entirely imploded, this is something that even Nate Silver has acknowledged.

Yeah that's a point that more people should be making. Jeb's running total is bigger for now, but if you look at the derivative of the endorsements Rubio is beating him at a higher rate than he is in the polls(!)

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i don't think the endorsement race means anything at all at this moment, which is the only moment any of us exist in after all

if you look at 538's endorsement primary page they have a graph of the 2016 candidates' trajectories compared to past winners - even jeb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, the leader, is far below any past winning precedent (nobody wants to endorse yet - a possible sign that a historically unprecedented endorsing effect will hit in the future, it could be argued), and i feel like that makes it perhaps as of yet even more irrelevant than the polls, which at least have a graph of the pearson's r showing more than zero correlation with ultimate results that's been posted (the 'days since thanksgiving' graph that's also invalidated to some unknown degree by the primaries having moved dates across the campaign cycles in the sample)

on the other hand hillary is running well above any of the other lines 538 has chosen to grace us with. she seems to have the endorsements more than half of the house+senate+governor democrats in existence. if i had any gumption id look into more local democrats to see if she literally has the endorsements of a majority of elected democrats in existence. probably not, yet

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Ebb with Jeb.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I think Nate's early prediction could still turn out right, if Scott reenters the race

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

this is exactly like that one post in a photoshop thread. you know the one i'm talking about, that one where the poster says he "had to do it" and contributes the least funny, most played out beaten dead horse meme that's gone from being tired to outright loathsome. jeb is that guy.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

MaxxBot posted:

Theoretically, Jeb still has a decent path to the nom. Right around this point in 2008, McCain was in the low teens nationally, dead in Iowa and in the mid teens in NH:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/2008_republican_presidential_nomination-2741.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statewide_opinion_polling_for_the_Republican_Party_presidential_primaries,_2008

The problem with comparing the two is that John McCain was a certified war hero whom the press loved while Jeb is the most milquetoast candidate in a field with enough scrubs to start a TV show.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

Remember when people were using the unfavourables argument for why Trump had no chance? Or his constant "gaffes"?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Adar posted:

Theoretically, Jeb still has a decent path to the nom. Right around this point in 2008, McCain was in the low teens nationally, dead in Iowa and in the mid teens in NH:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/2008_republican_presidential_nomination-2741.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statewide_opinion_polling_for_the_Republican_Party_presidential_primaries,_2008

The problem with comparing the two is that John McCain was a certified war hero whom the press loved while Jeb is the most milquetoast candidate in a field with enough scrubs to start a TV show.

Please use a relevant primary example, not one where (almost) every candidate held elected office. Maybe something where a reality tv star dominated the polls for ~6 months straight and the 2nd place guy burned every single bridge within his party. Oh there isn't one?

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Pleasant Friend posted:

I think Nate's early prediction could still turn out right, if Scott reenters the race

Giving walker a 28% chance to win the nomination does not mean that Silver thought Walker would win the nomination.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I dont get this obssession with saying 538 has mo grasp.of reality. Nate's own stuff (the 6 stages of doom for trump article) has trump past the first 2 tests and sitting on ~6.25% chance to win, which seems pretty reasonable, and we haven't had an election yet soooooo.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Feral_Shofixti posted:

Donald Trump is a national treasure.

He should be locked in an airless glass case? Harsh, imo.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

His case will make Lenin's look like trash though.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Adar posted:

That's an accurate description of where Rubio is running right now in the race, not where Jeb is. Jeb's far worse off than McCain ever was.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Adar posted:

The key word here is "teens," polling levels Jeb hasn't seen in six months.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Montasque posted:

Ron Paul has a very special message - Donald Trump is an "establishment" candidate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Zn4pVqVOo

He doesn't even want to abolish the IRS or privatize law enforcement. :qq:

Ron Paul needs to move over and accept that the Internet has found a new hero.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

That Cruz image would make the best avatar ever.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3hB3iOQKjY

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
E: beaten!

“In the spirit of the upcoming holiday, we are excited to bring a Cruz family Christmas into the homes of SNL viewers in Iowa,” she told the website. “Ted is a long time fan of SNL, so the chance to film his own SNL-style commercial was an opportunity we couldn’t pass up!”

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

an actual political ad posted:

You probably hate Christmas... and America

We live in the dumbest timeline

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
God drat Cruz is such an unlikeable try hard piece of poo poo.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jeb! can take on the Donald and ISIS, two completely similar things that require the same skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqpK4NVuIV4

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pleasant Friend posted:

Some solid predictionating bros, it's going to be Jeb or Walker for sure.

One of the good things of the Trumpening is that it's taken the smug punditocracy down a peg.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

I feel so bad for his family

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Ted Cruz heard u guys like Star Wars?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu_hkbBueOg

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Phlegmish posted:

Some solid predictionating bros, it's going to be Jeb or Walker for sure.

One of the good things of the Trumpening is that it's taken the smug punditocracy down a peg.

A 44% chance of it being neither Jeb! nor Walker is exactly the same as it "for sure" going to be Jeb! or Walker.

Also these odds being set months ago and having "totally subjective" in the headline is completely meaningless

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Montasque posted:

E: beaten!

“In the spirit of the upcoming holiday, we are excited to bring a Cruz family Christmas into the homes of SNL viewers in Iowa,” she told the website. “Ted is a long time fan of SNL, so the chance to film his own SNL-style commercial was an opportunity we couldn’t pass up!”

Wait, is this how he's cashing in his Equal Time poo poo?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's a thread for tonight's debate: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756570

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Gonk is right!!! Hard to decide if it's real or satire so that prob means he's doing it right. So edgy, Ted!

memy posted:

We live in the dumbest timeline

Nice to think that somewhere in the multiverse there's a timeline that isn't as retarded.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

quadrophrenic posted:

Wait, is this how he's cashing in his Equal Time poo poo?

drat!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

memy posted:

A 44% chance of it being neither Jeb! nor Walker is exactly the same as it "for sure" going to be Jeb! or Walker.

Also these odds being set months ago and having "totally subjective" in the headline is completely meaningless

Well, Nate Silver isn't even the worst of the bunch. At least he's willing to adjust his predictions in light of new information. But check out this joker 'Harry' giving Trump a -10% chance. You can't do that, Harry!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

At least it appeals to production values voters.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Auditing St. Nick: A thing that is supposed to be good. Or is this boo IRS bad and not an 'audit the fed' thing?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
More Cruz missiles:
https://youtu.be/poaCXJYH5ZU

Gang of 8 wanted to let ISIS into the US!

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Montasque posted:

Looks like Rubio blew the audition:

As Trump Surges, Adelson Says He Might Sit Out Some Primaries

I guess there's still that Koch brother money. Cruz is anti-ethanol and Rubio could gain in Iowa if he actually tried and campaigned.

Hahahaha. I loving KNEW it. When I first heard about Trump meeting Adelson, I thought "why would he do that, his 'I'm not bought' selling point is one of his greatest strengths against literally every other GOP rival AND Hillary Clinton."

The only explanation that I could come up with was maybe Trump wanted his support, and part of his pitch was "support me by NOT giving ANYONE any money."

Trump gets and thus denies people like Rubio Adelson's support, Trump keeps his campaign free from big money donors, Trump can easily sell Adelson on backing Trump with the hook that it won't cost him a dime.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Montasque posted:

Looks like Rubio blew the audition:

As Trump Surges, Adelson Says He Might Sit Out Some Primaries

I guess there's still that Koch brother money. Cruz is anti-ethanol and Rubio could gain in Iowa if he actually tried and campaigned.

Looks like Trump's visit paid off. Adelson and his wife did like his two biggest threats.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Woah, turns out that thing I said would be a problem for Trump is a problem for Trump.

quote:

Mr. Trump’s Iowa director predicted that he would recruit a leader for each of the state’s 1,681 Republican precincts by Thanksgiving. Instead, the first major training session for precinct leaders, heavily promoted in emails and conference calls, drew only about 80 people to West Des Moines last weekend, with about 50 participating online.

Some of Mr. Trump’s Republican rivals have spent months calling and knocking on doors to identify potential supporters to draw them out to caucuses, but Mr. Trump does not appear to have invested in this crucial “voter ID” strategy until recently.

The Trump campaign hopes to attract a surge of independents and disaffected Democrats on caucus night, but the latest data from the Iowa secretary of state show no significant growth in Republican registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Forums Terrorist posted:

Remember when people were using the unfavourables argument for why Trump had no chance? Or his constant "gaffes"?

They got better the more Trump campaigned, Jeb!'s have gotten worse as he campaigns. Trump's "gaffes" were things that the base generally agrees with, Jeb! on the other hand usually manages to alienate pretty much all parts of the political spectrum with his idiotic statements.

Even not considering those things, that argument was made about Trump back in like July. A month and a half is a short time to fix Jeb!'s "everyone hates him" problem even if he did have the skill to do it.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

Woah, turns out that thing I said would be a problem for Trump is a problem for Trump.

https://youtu.be/wxlhyX-4qKI

• Locked thread