Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
goty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvi5mRu15Vw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqoW0qhLzbM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxRJjosZQgs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Does Invaders from Planet Space have any new Infantry/Pale Wing weapons that weren't in 2017 Portable?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The Pale wing's aresenal in 2017 portable was mostly ripped from EDF2 in the first place, so it's pretty much the same again. There's maybe a couple of additions that's it.

The infantry man actually has lot less weapons in Invaders, as portable was an update to the sequel to this game. Most of the new weapons were turrets and suport gear though, which have been folded into the Air Raider's weapon set.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Wizard Whateley posted:

Fast forward a few hours later, I was fighting laser godzillas and it was a toss-up which one of us leveled the entire city more...

Wow, I've been playing this game completely wrong. I always avoid blowing up buildings, especially the big pretty ones. I'll herd the bugs away if I have to.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Took the melt buster tank out for a test against shield bearers last night. Turns out that they CAN step on a tank like a building, but there isn't a damage interaction; the physics system panics and throws you and the whole tank across the map. It's repeatable too.

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.
What is the Instant Room when you create a lobby? It doesn't seem to do anything.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Took the melt buster tank out for a test against shield bearers last night. Turns out that they CAN step on a tank like a building, but there isn't a damage interaction; the physics system panics and throws you and the whole tank across the map. It's repeatable too.

Don't even need to be in a tank.

https://youtu.be/dhtIWmVRdio

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Nice.

So I'm at that awkward stage where I have some level ~50 weapons, but just don't have the health to beat many of the levels on hardest. I presume the next step is to play with goons online for better gear?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Any goons playing EDF 2 for Vita right now? I would like to play, ID is Radical_R

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Oh hey, MorningBreath here. That mothership stood no chance.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Mr. Jive posted:

Oh hey, MorningBreath here. That mothership stood no chance.

Thanks for your help! EDF! EDF!

And I found my external battery. I'm good to go now.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
So I'm guessing one of the improvements they didn't make was to scale armor drops for difficulty? Picking up ~9000 armor drops still doesn't sound super fun.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
ok so am I dumb? I can't figure out how to shoot the chain gun on the starter depth crawler. L2 and R2 fire the cannons, but I tried every button or combo of buttons and couldn't get the chain gun to shoot at all.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
It has a spin up time.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

This is nice, don't even need to get EDF2 for the Vita because it works great via Remote Play! The Vita sticks really need some kind of cover and/or riser because they're super short and rounded top makes them super awkward.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
For anyone that's looking to farm on EDF2, I recommend Stage 8 Inferno. The robots are bad at coming up stairs, so it's possible to snipe them from a distance without getting shot at. Don't try to do it by yourself though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RadicalR posted:

For anyone that's looking to farm on EDF2, I recommend Stage 8 Inferno. The robots are bad at coming up stairs, so it's possible to snipe them from a distance without getting shot at. Don't try to do it by yourself though.

Pale Wing can trivially farm any Solas map with starting equipment by riding on their back with a rapier. The cyborg version near the endgame is easier in a lot of ways since you don't have to worry about getting wrecked by the fire breath any time he gets some distance.

Infantry can do it with a pair of Firecrackers, but will probably want some hp to take the occasional hit.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I have EDF 2017 on the vita (love it), how much does EDF 2 differ?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They added the Air Raider class from EDF2025. Most of the Air Raider weapons are placeables like turrets, powerup fields, shield generators, and sticky bombs; or long-range strikes like bombers, artillery, cruise missiles, and space lasers. They don't get any of the vehicle drops they had in 2025, but they're still awesome.

There are a few new enemy types: flying ants, bombers, robot pillbugs, and giant centipedes that spray acid everywhere. There are a couple new kinds of giant walkers, too, but they're more or less the same as Hectors.

The graphics and music are all retro B-movie sci-fi. To be honest, I really miss this song.

There aren't any NPC soldiers in missions anymore.

The new mothership is pretty boss.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 20, 2015

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

EDF2 is awesome but the lack of sensitivity while aiming makes a couple things trickier, like targeting THOSE GODDAMN FLYING ANTS :argh:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Man the last five missions are harrrrrrd, and also gold ants what the gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJzLKNMfOEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3TY1nsFRtQ

e: seriously this game is why the "share" function of the PS4 exists.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

Man the last five missions are harrrrrrd, and also gold ants what the gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJzLKNMfOEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3TY1nsFRtQ

e: seriously this game is why the "share" function of the PS4 exists.

Is that the Death Queen level? I've been single-player only on that one and I always stay back in the tunnel where the rangers were waiting and make them come to me

In 2025 it was an excellent level to farm for weapons with wing diver once you got enough health to survive a couple hits, plus a thunder sniper to take out big groups from a long ways away.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

iastudent posted:

EDF2 is awesome but the lack of sensitivity while aiming makes a couple things trickier, like targeting THOSE GODDAMN FLYING ANTS :argh:

There's a turn speed option in the PS2 version. The default is pretty slow but you can make it ridiculously fast if you want.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vita has it too, but I always have trouble choosing between "can't turn around fast enough" and "can't aim with scopes"

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
wing diver is fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GcEIxt_IAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxbKKjoUS30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXHFEFPxhYY

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Alright, picked up the english version a few days ago, there a list of goons to play with? I notice that all the elitism from 2025 is still alive and well in the online scene.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Alright, picked up the english version a few days ago, there a list of goons to play with? I notice that all the elitism from 2025 is still alive and well in the online scene.

You can join the group to find goons playing. I'll be playing off and on during the day over the next week or so during the holidays. If you can't find it through friend's communities, send me a friend request PSN: Obsurveyor and I'll invite you.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Yeah, shoot a friend request to D43M0N_au_ and I'll invite you to the goon group if you want. Thanks to A Flying Cake and Samurai Paul for banging heads against the wall of mission 96 for however many hours earlier today.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Yeah lots of us play. Add gimeaRUBDOWN and send me a msg if you wanna.

e: getting on right now

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 23, 2015

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

If you see me on feel free to send an invite as well.

PSN: Retro42jl

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Though, sadly I am a bit behind the curve and I'm just now hitting like halfway through the singleplayer levels and starting like a week+ late due to playing Xenoblade X so much. Making sure not to mix classes in splitscreen this time so I should have a somewhat usable wing diver by the end of it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I saw the question of starting difficulty debated a bunch when the game first came out. What's the consensus? Hard or normal? I think the main argument I saw for normal was for the armor drops.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
As long as you can consistently beat the levels play that difficulty.

I have ~1000hp and some level 70 weapons and I cannot beat anything solo on inferno past maybe level 20. Is that normal? It's not even close on some of the later levels.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Modest Mao posted:

As long as you can consistently beat the levels play that difficulty.

I have ~1000hp and some level 70 weapons and I cannot beat anything solo on inferno past maybe level 20. Is that normal? It's not even close on some of the later levels.

Yes, this is normal. Inferno absolutely requires significant investment into armor to even be possible in most cases. There's a reason online inferno has no armor limit even with the limiters on.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Yeah, 1000hp isn't anything. My ranger is sitting at ~1500 near the end of Hard mode and still gets pinned down by those drone-and-spider "gently caress you" combos.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is there a suggested armor amount for inferno? I feel like I'd need ~8,000 to have it be survivable.

I... can't imagine playing one class enough to have 8,000

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
5,000 seems doable since that's what I had for Ranger and Air raider back in the ps3. Probably need more for the increased mobs this time around.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

If you don't mind cheesing it there's a few ways to raise it quickly.

Not sure if it's still the same in this version but the original release drops in split screen both went to the player essentially doubling every drop. So if you were to use the same class you'd double your armour gain rate.

You can also just use a level with ant hills and two flamethrowers to infinitely kill ants I think.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah it still works that way. Pretty much all your time playing offline will be in splitscreen if you're obsessed with armor gain efficiency.

Rangers can use flamethrowers as previously mentioned, and reload during waves. (Just one will suffice, the tank usually lasts for the entire spawn wave and it can't reload fast enough for continuous use IIRC) Air raider is weird and can only farm hills with a flamethrower vegalta and may be better suited for farming dropship based spawns or just doing Brute Force over and over.

On the even lazier side, the other two classes can AFK farm with rubber bands. Wing divers can use rapiers (preferably wide type ones to reduce leakage, also don't use the slow reload ones.) and Fencers can use alternating dual jackhammers timed to fully reload while the other arm is firing. You may need to keep an eye on what's going on, as sometimes you can get nudged around by the corpses as they get violently ejected to the point they start leaking out and getting attacks off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Modest Mao posted:

Is there a suggested armor amount for inferno? I feel like I'd need ~8,000 to have it be survivable.

I... can't imagine playing one class enough to have 8,000

I finished Inferno with 20,000+ armor for my ranger, farming is really easy once you get the right gear for it.