Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Can anyone recommend a high quality (gaming/general use) mousepad?
More specifically: It should be small to medium in size, white, and have no logos or markings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Avian Pneumonia posted:

More specifically: It should be small to medium in size, white, and have no logos or markings.

That is harder than I thought. All I can find that match your criteria are generic 'blank' mousepads intended for printing, and they don't scream 'quality' but maybe they aren't bad?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Rexxed posted:

Are you interested in a $5 mouse that's more :pcgaming: than anything? Look no further than quality Chinese brand James Donkey. I bought this somewhat ironically, to see what this $5 yellow and black colored mouse would be like. Surprisingly, it's not that bad, although it lacks for features. It has three DPI settings, 1000, 1600, and 2000. There's no software. You can't turn the LEDs off (although they're orange and not too bright). Might be a good gift for someone who doesn't care about features or someone who would also enjoy an ironic but actually functional mouse. Or maybe you just like yellow and black.

Here it is next to my G400S:

I picked it up from this ebay seller for $5 but there's probably other places that sell them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261599376179

I remember picking up a few razer knockoffs called the e-blue cobra (jr.) for a few bucks a year or so ago and as it turned out, they are decent mice. They glow annoyingly unless covered or unplugged and I don't know if they'll last like my logitechs but my nephew's still rocking his for MOBA games. From what I'm hearing about -actual- razer products it seems like despite the cheaper feeling plastic the build quality is just as good :downs:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Steelseries makes a super nice medium sized cloth pad called the DeX. Downside is it's black though. Not sure I've ever really seen "high quality" and white go together.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Steelseries makes a super nice medium sized cloth pad called the DeX. Downside is it's black though. Not sure I've ever really seen "high quality" and white go together.

I disagree.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
^ That looks awesome. I can now say I have seen a good quality white mousepad. No idea how I would ever fit that on my desk though. I suppose it's also supposed to go under your keyboard?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ChubbyThePhat posted:

^ That looks awesome. I can now say I have seen a good quality white mousepad. No idea how I would ever fit that on my desk though. I suppose it's also supposed to go under your keyboard?

It's a blatant ripoff of the Perrixx mousemat, and if it's as good as that one, it's VERY good quality. Yes, they go under your keyboard, but I like yuuuuuge mats now because of it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

nftyw posted:

I remember picking up a few razer knockoffs called the e-blue cobra (jr.) for a few bucks a year or so ago and as it turned out, they are decent mice. They glow annoyingly unless covered or unplugged and I don't know if they'll last like my logitechs but my nephew's still rocking his for MOBA games. From what I'm hearing about -actual- razer products it seems like despite the cheaper feeling plastic the build quality is just as good :downs:

The scroll wheels on E-Blue Cobras are horrendous and far worse than any of the major manufacturers. E-Blues are cheap and crappy feeling mice in general.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i like how how they modified that meme ever so slightly in order to make it less hitlery. honestly if I had to look at that on my desk for any length of time I'd probably vomit myself into a coma

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
When it comes to mousepads, always bet on black. They seem have the smallest change of causing sensor errors for whatever reason.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

I'm using one of these in black XL (18x16) right now. Its definitely high quality. I also have a Perixx that this replaced which is quite nice. There was an even bigger extended one thats taller that I wanted, but they weren't available when I got it, and still seem to be missing off Amazon :(

breaks
May 12, 2001

drat dudes. I would wallpaper my room with Goliathuses before I owned one pad with pc master race poo poo on it.

The new Zowie pads look great and have only the tiniest of logos, but I haven't used one since they're brand new. I also don't think you can buy them just yet, though they should be floating around soon.

The whole rubber backed cloth stitched edge thing is the fuckin way to go for sure though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I would never own a white daily use item tbh, I just thought it was funny and fit the poster's needs.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
Artisan mouse pads are very good and have fairly unobtrusive and tasteful logos on them, but they're too expensive to buy outside of Japan for me to be able to really recommend it. It seems like there are a lot fewer of them available from Amazon (without ridiculous shipping costs) than when I got mine.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My ratpadz was getting a little worn down after a few years and I wanted a bigger mouse pad as well. I bought a 12"x24" piece of 1/8" thick anodized aluminum. I've only had it for a couple of months but so far it's great. It's got a very consistent level of low friction and so far there's no marking or scratching on it from the mouse. I'm not sure how it'll work out long term but it seems like a pretty good deal for $25. It does collect dust under the mouse a little bit more easily than a cloth pad with deeper texture but so far wiping the metal and the bottom of the mouse off every week or so seems to be keeping things working well.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Better a "PC Gaming Race" pad than a Razer.

Its a dumb name but I play FPS with a 70cm 360° so I needed something large, and after a desk change I have room for something larger than the Perixx I was using

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Col.Kiwi posted:

That is not correct. It depends on the player but fingertip grip is much more popular than palm in the starcraft scene.

Look here: http://imgur.com/a/ixDhR

I only looked at the first 14 images but ALL of them that were holding their mouse were using a fingertip grip, at least half a dozen examples

Whoa why do so many use the G9X? I have one of those but I can't stand it. And why are they so much on ebay??

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

fletcher posted:

Whoa why do so many use the G9X? I have one of those but I can't stand it. And why are they so much on ebay??

because it was a unique shape that people really liked, that they don't make any more

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Generic Monk posted:

because it was a unique shape that people really liked, that they don't make any more

Should I be selling mine then? Pretty sure I still have the box and all the accessories, and it's still in great shape.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Probably. I mean if it's not doing you any good and there are people willing to shell out money for it...

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

fletcher posted:

Should I be selling mine then? Pretty sure I still have the box and all the accessories, and it's still in great shape.

go forth and fleece those rubes boi

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hey Goo, is there a reason why mice forgetting their game detection profiles or mice reverting to default on-board profiles has always and still is a problem? LGS is really nice software but it pretty much forces me to load an onboard profile from file, shut down it and all logitech processes just to make one setup stick. And I'll still have to do it again a month or a week later.

Does the rom on the mouse just revert when the aa battery fully drains? It's a g700.

I wish this persistent problem would just go away.

bustercasey
Apr 9, 2012
Gary’s Answer
I saw the Mionix Naos 7000 on Massdrop for $47. I currently have a Naos 3200 that I really like the feel of, but the inability to designate buttons to specific games is annoying. Does the 7000 have that same issue?
I'm pissed I missed all the $40 G502 deals.. :argh:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Generic Monk posted:

Yeah Goo, where's my G902X? :mad:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i realize the g502 isn't *that* close to the g9x shape, but i feel like that model is close enough in purpose that another product wouldn't be differentiated enough. and we should all be glad for the sensor in the g502 and pray that it would take the place of any laser junk in any future g9* model

i loved the g9x and would love to have that form factor back, but that sensor was terrible terrible terrible

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

bustercasey posted:

I saw the Mionix Naos 7000 on Massdrop for $47. I currently have a Naos 3200 that I really like the feel of, but the inability to designate buttons to specific games is annoying. Does the 7000 have that same issue?
I'm pissed I missed all the $40 G502 deals.. :argh:

You can't assign a per-game profile with the software, but you can have up to 5 profiles that you can just rotate between. If for some reason you really need a profile-per-game you can use other software to do that.

bustercasey
Apr 9, 2012
Gary’s Answer

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

You can't assign a per-game profile with the software, but you can have up to 5 profiles that you can just rotate between. If for some reason you really need a profile-per-game you can use other software to do that.

The logitech software I last used allowed that, but 5 profiles is plenty. I've just been assigning games to the mouses functions and it's not ideal. Thanks.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

So if I get myself a G502 for Christmas what are the chances that a G503 comes out early next year.

Looks like the 502 has been around for a bit at this point, anything coming out soon that could be worth waiting for?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Apparently a G502 new model might already exist in some capacity but nobody is quite sure what's up with it. It's just called G502 Proteus Spectrum, and a few people have gotten them shipped to them by accident. Has RGB LED and weights about 6g less than the G502 but appears to be identical otherwise.

Nobody knows what's up with it, or if it's an elaborate hoax, but there are pics and vids of it on Reddit and Overclock :shrug:

It's it's real then you'd definitely want to wait for that model over the regular one. Solid guess right now is that they could announce something at CES (January 6-9th).

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 23, 2015

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
They're releasing an RGB 502 variant. Yes, when the sole space for light is the logo under your hand. Essential stuff

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Oh good they made the blue plastic bit black.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

weights about 6g less than the G502

god damnit, i'd actually love to have that

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I am amused and surprised that there's a subreddit dedicated to the G502, though in hindsight I really shouldn't be.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Waiting for the official RGB version could be good, I can try setting it to the same values as my keyboard so I can pretend it's the same blue not a slightly different shade of blue.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GokieKS posted:

I am amused and surprised that there's a subreddit dedicated to the G502, though in hindsight I really shouldn't be.
It's the best all around mouse on the market. :colbert:

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Josh Lyman posted:

It's the best all around mouse on the market. :colbert:

I agree, and I own two of them. I just didn't think there would be a subreddit for one single mouse model.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Great, I will have to get it so I can match it to my non RGB red keyboard.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I had a 2x Keyboard 2x Mouse setup for a while and each one was a different color LED. It was like living in an 80s movie, I miss it.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

logitech g502 autism spectrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Finally got the EC1-A, and dear lord is it awful; the click actuation is terrible, the side buttons are placed weirdly, and the casing feels like really cheap plastic. I liked the length and shape of the mouse, though.

I really don't like the design of the new Logitech mouse, but I guess I'll have to give it a look. And I thought the mouse actuation on my G5 was mediocre enough as it was.

I might also see what the new FinalMouse looks like, before I just buy the boring Logitech mouse.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 25, 2015