Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Nuebot posted:

I like the AC/20's. That's what the trial one uses, right? They had a nice bang to them and once I got over the instinct to just rush at things and spam the fire button they could clean up pretty good. People don't like being shot at by a giant metal crab. I kind of want to give 4AC/5's a shot just to see the difference though. What's the difference between AC/5 and UltraAC/5?

UACs are slighly faster, and can be fired twice in quick succession; if you don't wait for the normal cooldown, though, you'll risk a jam (15% chance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Triple Ought Bee

3 LPL 3 SRM6+A Biggest engine it can fit.

Take about half the armor off the arms, rest for ammo and DHS.

Maximize hilarity by adding 6 MG for up close punch.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

I like the AC/20's. That's what the trial one uses, right? They had a nice bang to them and once I got over the instinct to just rush at things and spam the fire button they could clean up pretty good. People don't like being shot at by a giant metal crab. I kind of want to give 4AC/5's a shot just to see the difference though. What's the difference between AC/5 and UltraAC/5?

The Ultra version lets you double tap to fire one more time before the cool down is over, but with a chance of jamming the weapon.

4 UAC/5 Crabs are great at making people flee from the nonstop camera shake of being pounded by ballistics.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
What's the Clan equivalent of the Atlas, anyway?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Lemon Curdistan posted:

In terms of "push mech designed to soak up all the damage and dish out three or four punishing alphas before dying"?

honestly there isn't one. Clan Assaults play differently

Maybe when/if they release the Kodiak

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
trip report: dual-gauss HBK-IIC is a thing that works and is fun

it's like a slightly more fragile GaussJager with jumpjets

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Dire Wolf/Daishi. It's a 100t gundam with 50.5 tons free for weapons while still carrying 99% of its maximum armor. It's got an XL engine, but it's a Clan XL so losing one torso doesn't kill you. Of course, its hitboxes are a bit less forgiving than the Atlas (it's basically a giant walking square) but it's got way more guns.

A more gofast pushpush Clan assault would be the Executioner, but it's got a mere 40 tons of free space, not counting the ~18 tons of armor you'll want to toss onto it.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 19, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

In terms of "push mech designed to soak up all the damage and dish out three or four punishing alphas before dying"?

Yeah, this. Basically, I was wondering what the Clan gets that can spearhead an assault by being a giant walking gunwall, because I like the Atlas playstyle a lot.

I'll see about getting a Direwolf in the distant future, once I have two more 'crows.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, this. Basically, I was wondering what the Clan gets that can spearhead an assault by being a giant walking gunwall, because I like the Atlas playstyle a lot.

I'll see about getting a Direwolf in the distant future, once I have two more 'crows.

As has been said, the dire wolf is slower and arguably squishier than the atlas, plus it carries a lot of its firepower in the arms. It's a very different beast.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The Direwolf pushes by vaporizing things in front of it rather than by being a highly durable wall of hatred and SRMs.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Atlas:

useless at long or medium range
mostly missile/ballistic based
needs only as much facetime as it takes to let the AC/SRMs loose
shitloads of internal structure quirks
huge shield arms
one of the best 'mechs at spreading damage in the game

Dire Wolf

best at long or medium range
mostly energy/ballistic based
needs a lot of facetime
no internal/structure quirks
useless shield arms
very difficult to spread damage

Now, the Dire Wolf is still really good because of the sheer size of the pinpoint alpha it can boat (lots of builds are dual gauss plus LPL plus ERML, which is basically the firepower of two heavy 'mechs), and if one catches you unawares you are totally boned, but it will lose to an Atlas at close range. The two robots are almost from different games in terms of how differently they are used

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Really we just need BMR to 1v1 himself with an Atlas and Direwolf.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
skip to like 24:30 in this video for why Atlas beats Dire at close range even though the Dire doubles his damage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk1YTUzmdSk

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUFeMXzocYQ

Last of the urbanmech videos from last night.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

The two robots are almost from different games in terms of how differently they are used

Yeah, that sounds like the Direwolf isn't what I want, really, and I should just suck it up and get an Atlas. Thanks!

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
I'm not going to try to dissuade you from buying an Atlas because everyone should have a DDC for Ghost Dad shenanigans at the very least. However, do at least try a round or two in the trial Direwolf before you write them off completely. It's pretty much the epitome of mobile turret gameplay, but that much pure firepower has its own appeal.

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014

Astroniomix posted:

The Direwolf pushes by vaporizing things in front of it rather than by being a highly durable wall of hatred and SRMs.

And that's why it's the best mech!

spamman5r
Oct 2, 2008
So I'd kind of like to play this game with people. Can I get an invite to one of the goon groups? Should I care which one?

IGN is spamman5r

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Pattonesque posted:

skip to like 24:30 in this video for why Atlas beats Dire at close range even though the Dire doubles his damage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk1YTUzmdSk

Christ, Atlas are faster than I thought, my stalkers just hit 61 kph with 300std and speed tweak.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Drakes posted:

Christ, Atlas are faster than I thought, my stalkers just hit 61 kph with 300std and speed tweak.

If you're not running an Atlas with a 350 you're basically the worst.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

350 also helps with twisting which will help you Atlas for much longer

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I think I have one with a 340. :v:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Great Beer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUFeMXzocYQ

Last of the urbanmech videos from last night.

Oh god you guys were playing on euro servers wtf.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

East Coast gets like 90ms ping to the Europe servers.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

360 or bust, scrubs (although with the introduction of good Artemis, maybe you can only do a 350, even without lasers in the arms).

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
I spent last night robutting. The 6xAC/2 King Crab was dumb but fun.

I hated Novas, but I have the D lying around so I dusted it off, gave it two godhands of small lasers and played around. Balancing the fire rate without spiking myself to shutdown is nearly as fun as drilling off body parts every time I laserpunch someone.

I had to downgrade the 360 to a 350 on my Atlas to fit an LBX-10. Jumped a Direwolf and ate it.

And others.

Bawk.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

East Coast gets like 90ms ping to the Europe servers.

Good for them, I guess.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nuebot posted:

People don't like being shot at by a giant metal crab.

:agreed:

had a great run last night with bird scout lance, highlight being alchenar spotting 2 Atlai and a Blackjack tromping up a hill in tourmaline and us coring them out in like ten seconds before they even realised we existed. that was a short game.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 19, 2015

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

A.o.D. posted:

I suddenly gained group lead and I just clicked the button to queue us up. I didn't know I had to click a tiny arrow and deselect Oceania!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

sebmojo posted:

:agreed:

had a great run last night with bird scout lance, highlight being alchenar spotting 2 Atlai and a Blackjack tromping up a hill in tourmaline and us coring them out in like ten seconds before they even realised we existed. that was a short game.

Yeah that was brutal...6 spls are surprisingly good at coring assaults if you have 4 mechs alpha striking them at the same time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So why is it that sometimes I can't target a guy? I'm like looking right at him, trying to shoot him and I hit the target button and the game says "Target Aquired" but it'll target someone I'm not even looking at.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nuebot posted:

So why is it that sometimes I can't target a guy? I'm like looking right at him, trying to shoot him and I hit the target button and the game says "Target Aquired" but it'll target someone I'm not even looking at.

probably running ECM. You cant target a mech in an ECM bubble unless you're inside of 150 meters (? I think? something like that)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Makes sense. I figured there was some kind of item but had no clue what. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this game though, I got 3 kills earlier. Moving on up in the world.

EDIT: Got my crab some double heatsinks, next bout of money I can start shoving guns into it. Excitement abounds. Turns out the trial one has AC5's and I really like those. So are the AC20's huge monster cannons?
By the way when it comes to things like heatsinks is it better to spread them out on both sides, or pile them on to one side?

One more question, is there any way to just bail out of a game before it starts? Because I loving hate this forest map. I can't see for poo poo on it and I don't know how anyone else can. It's just a blob of black and green.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 20, 2015

Nephila
Aug 19, 2005

Crawling up your leg as you read this.
Could I get a re-invite to GIRL again, my name in game is Nephila. Also the mumble info would help as well.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nuebot posted:

Makes sense. I figured there was some kind of item but had no clue what. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this game though, I got 3 kills earlier. Moving on up in the world.

EDIT: Got my crab some double heatsinks, next bout of money I can start shoving guns into it. Excitement abounds. Turns out the trial one has AC5's and I really like those. So are the AC20's huge monster cannons?
By the way when it comes to things like heatsinks is it better to spread them out on both sides, or pile them on to one side?

One more question, is there any way to just bail out of a game before it starts? Because I loving hate this forest map. I can't see for poo poo on it and I don't know how anyone else can. It's just a blob of black and green.

There's not really a way to bail out before a round starts without leaving your team down a man. You just have to roll with the punches. For some of the more foliage heavy maps (like that shithole Viridian Bog), you may find it helpful to turn on Thermal Vision. It makes it a bit easier to see stuff in contrast. Be aware that it has more limited range than normal vision, as everything just goes to a wall of black after awhile. Still, if you're a low visibility situation anyway, it can often help you pick out mechs through the crap.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

That's a Mk1 eyeball problem or you're playing on a low resolution. I see clear as day on that map.

In fact I don't use "vision enhancement" modes either. No nightvision, no thermal, you see further and more clearly using your normal vision.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I am playing in windowed mode, I'll try something bigger, maybe that will help.

EDIT: Just because I don't think I got a solid answer on it, all the build suggestions I see say to just stack everything on one side or another like heatsinks instead of balancing them. Is that the best way to do things? I guess it is since everyone suggests doing it but I'd just like to be sure.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 20, 2015

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I think the trial has 4 UAC5s not regular AC5s.
UACs you can double tap it before it finishes cooling down and it will fire a second shot at the risk of jamming which causes it to be unusable for like 5 seconds or so?

Also, sometimes NV is better than Thermal imo. Depends heavily on time and map.
Back in the day no one played in anything but Thermal because there was no range limit on it, so they capped it for how far you can see with it on.
So doesn't matter what happened, everyone was just playing in black and white....

edit:

Unrelated item:
Thoughts on an 4 UAC10 Dakkawolf? I'm currently messing around with a 6UAC5 Dakkawolf but 4UAC10 is lighter and I could squeeze in a TC and 1t of ammo.
The paper Alpha strike would be higher too since 40 vs 30. I'm spacepoor from having too many mechs to work on and 4 UAC10s would run 2.4mil.

TVDinna fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 20, 2015

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Can I get a reinvite to WoL? I'm still in MWO as Ironworm and would love to be smashing pubs with Gunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Can I get a reinvite to WoL? IGN is ShiroIchida (that's an capital i not a l).

Are Thunderbolts still great? Looks like they haven't really changed the perks, but all I really remember is they had a bunch of random energy stuff, so the numbers could have gone down and I wouldn't know.

• Locked thread