Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

IRQ posted:

Potentially good news on the subject of idiots nearly drowning in the antarctic ocean!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/30/asia/japan-whaling-research/index.html
Wow, spooky. When I was getting ready for work this morning I randomly wondered what those Sea Shepherd idiots were up to now that Whale Wars is off the air. I miss that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
When trying to buy some gag presents.

rear end seen on tv!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
lollin aloud just visualizing the hypothetical target demographic for gold rush merchandise

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So I'm going through this latest episode. The oil pan cracks in their D11, and Hoffman is all "We have 3 days to get this going, do whatever it takes" so the guy orders a part that is going to take a week to be shipped to the middle of nowhere and seals the crack temporarily. Why didn't that exact day, drive to the nearest air port and fly his rear end down personally, get the part, and arrive back by the end of the next day? Or paid the company to send someone. The costs are insignificant compared to what they might lose. If they had to manufacture the part, it would make sense, but these dozers have part supplies everywhere. Just pay for a heli lift to an airport, do whatever.

Dammit Todd.

Also, where did the Gold Rush/Gold thread go? We had a lot of people in there and it was pretty popular! A new season of Prospectors just started too!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Philthy posted:

So I'm going through this latest episode. The oil pan cracks in their D11, and Hoffman is all "We have 3 days to get this going, do whatever it takes" so the guy orders a part that is going to take a week to be shipped to the middle of nowhere and seals the crack temporarily. Why didn't that exact day, drive to the nearest air port and fly his rear end down personally, get the part, and arrive back by the end of the next day? Or paid the company to send someone. The costs are insignificant compared to what they might lose. If they had to manufacture the part, it would make sense, but these dozers have part supplies everywhere. Just pay for a heli lift to an airport, do whatever.

Dammit Todd.

Also, where did the Gold Rush/Gold thread go? We had a lot of people in there and it was pretty popular! A new season of Prospectors just started too!

gently caress Todd, I hope Parker destroys him in the gold count at the end of the season.

Barefoot
Dec 22, 2013

Philthy posted:

Here's the last thread (I think).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659814

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Edit: wrong thread

Crash74
May 11, 2009
is goldrush on a break for a month now?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Nah, just a week off because of holidays. It's showing a new episode for me on the Tivo this coming Friday.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I know it's not on the Discovery channel, but is it okay to talk about the MythBusters Mega Marathon?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna miss that show but I think most of all I'm going to miss the anticlimaxes. They just did they one where they bend a tree back and release it to launch Buster like a catapult, but all it does is slowly return to upright and then Buster falls off it straight down. An hour ago was the Kirk vs Gorn episode where they loaded a cannon with homemade gunpowder and it only made the cannonball plop out of the barrel and roll away. And then there's the lego ball.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
That's probably the best part of the show when the opposite of what they are expecting happens.

One thing I've kinda of forgot was how much of fucksticks the build team were. It's amazing that they didn't end up hurt themselves.

Ended up watching the walking over hot coals episode and they decide to test Adam waking over hot coals without telling him how to do it safely and he hurts himself. WTF why would you do that?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

axelord posted:

That's probably the best part of the show when the opposite of what they are expecting happens.

One thing I've kinda of forgot was how much of fucksticks the build team were. It's amazing that they didn't end up hurt themselves.

Ended up watching the walking over hot coals episode and they decide to test Adam waking over hot coals without telling him how to do it safely and he hurts himself. WTF why would you do that?

And don't forget the ancient battery myth where they attached the ark to an electric fence charger and nearly fried Adam. They claimed the producers told them to do it.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

Mister Kingdom posted:

And don't forget the ancient battery myth where they attached the ark to an electric fence charger and nearly fried Adam. They claimed the producers told them to do it.

FWIW Adam backs up that claim and implied the producer was fired over it.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

axelord posted:

There was that time Tori tried to repel down a building and seriously damaged his shin on a window-frame. Though that coulda gone a lot worse

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Did you guys see those interstitials in the commercials where the build team talk about their time in MythBusters? And how often they're played?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Mythbusters, the final season starts tomorrow night.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of Mythbusters, the final season starts tomorrow night.

On that episode, Adam and Jamie will discuss what's to come in the final season.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

On that episode, Adam and Jamie will discuss what's to come in the final season.

Hopefully they're off of the television show episodes, because those were dumb. I'm hoping they go balls to the wall with everything they've wanted to do and never had a chance. Without the secondary crew, the actual builds (the best part) have gotten a lot more airtime. I like the behind the scenes stuff because it makes me feel like I can actually accomplish some stuff as well.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Best part about that bad show ending is that Adam will have more time on tested! to do his one day builds and other stuff he does there.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Mraagvpeine posted:

Did you guys see those interstitials in the commercials where the build team talk about their time in MythBusters? And how often they're played?

That was werid too they decided to only use one answers from each of the Build Team and play it over and over again.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

This desperate, illusory "BEAT PARKER'S GOLD" storyline that the gold rush producers are trying to force this season is so incredibly embarrassing. It asks for suspension of disbelief of literally every single limited element the show has ever repeated ad infinitum, and also requires a total disregarding of the fact that the seasons of gold totals have always been massively in his favor with a much smaller crew, less equipment, and less subsidy from the discovery coffers that live to throw good money after bad white trash. It's like trying to build an underdog tale around a team with the resources of the New England Patriots, rofl

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It is nice to see on Mythbusters that Kari, Tori, and Grant will get a more appropriate sendoff at the end of this season.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

That preview clipshow was way too aggressively spoilery and unsubtle but it does nothing to diminish my anticipation of every last moment of this inevitably excellent (barring the zombie tripe) season

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

TheRationalRedditor posted:

That preview clipshow was way too aggressively spoilery and unsubtle but it does nothing to diminish my anticipation of every last moment of this inevitably excellent (barring the zombie tripe) season

That was a bit too much information.

The marathon continues and it's the worst episode they've ever done - San Francisco Drift.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Looking at the schedule for the rest of the day, I can't believe I missed the most recent MythBusters shark week episode when it first aired.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

This desperate, illusory "BEAT PARKER'S GOLD" storyline that the gold rush producers are trying to force this season is so incredibly embarrassing. It asks for suspension of disbelief of literally every single limited element the show has ever repeated ad infinitum, and also requires a total disregarding of the fact that the seasons of gold totals have always been massively in his favor with a much smaller crew, less equipment, and less subsidy from the discovery coffers that live to throw good money after bad white trash. It's like trying to build an underdog tale around a team with the resources of the New England Patriots, rofl

Are you saying Todd's crew of 100 people and all their families can't compete with parker's 5 people and to be fair his grandpa?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There's no way Todd makes any money with all the equipment and crew discovery channel throws at him. He has a legit mining operation going (no thanks to him) for the piddly rear end amount of gold they pull up. There's a reason it's only hillbillies panning for gold up there.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

when it comes to actual profit at the end of the season Parker would easily crush Todd if they opened up the books, while Todd is buying dumb poo poo like a 3rd loving tailings belt, Parker is moving his plant closer to a cut to save tons of money on fuel costs and to run more dirt.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Everyone's favorite example of the illusion of competition should be the South American season, which if performed without a basic cable network-shaped safety net, would have resulted in team hoffman's mass ritual suicide. Particularly given the original premise of the show, WORKING CLASS DOPES BARELY SCRAPING BY ON THE BREADLINE, rofl

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Invalid Validation posted:

There's no way Todd makes any money with all the equipment and crew discovery channel throws at him. He has a legit mining operation going (no thanks to him) for the piddly rear end amount of gold they pull up. There's a reason it's only hillbillies panning for gold up there.

The actual deficit he runs each season is *staggering*
https://youtu.be/LWLzlef-75c

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It's a good thing his dumb family and friends are mostly actors then. Id like to know how much money they foot the Hoffman crews part of the show.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Does jack Hoffman still go for the glory hole?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Does jack Hoffman still go for the glory hole?

nah he's getting too old for the glory hole.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

More of a bonus hole these days.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I hope that episode was them getting the recaps and "coming up on Mythbusters!" poo poo out of the way in the beginning so they can totally cut it out of the actual episodes.

But I know that isn't true :(

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Photex posted:

nah he's getting too old for the glory hole.

The talk soup bit about the show was pretty great.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

kefkafloyd posted:

It is nice to see on Mythbusters that Kari, Tori, and Grant will get a more appropriate sendoff at the end of this season.

I like the unspoken narrative that they cut those guys in an attempt to shake up the show/return to its roots/improve ratings, but it didn't work and the show was killed regardless.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I like the unspoken narrative that they cut those guys in an attempt to shake up the show/return to its roots/improve ratings, but it didn't work and the show was killed regardless.

Do people hate on them? I always enjoyed there side projects they did. But I also wasn't a hardcore loyal watcher of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Some people thought their banter was really forced and annoying, I never minded them that much.

• Locked thread