Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Context: My phone was at 93% before going bed (I had the screen brightness all the way down and battery saver on), checked the battery earlier this morning, saw this:

Also, the batter is bipolar and sometimes drains even when plugged into my computer. :wtc:

I like this phone but god loving dammit the battery is poo poo.

Yo something was loving trying to sync all night and couldn't. See all those slivers of "awake?" that's when your phone came out of sleepytime and tried to update something in the background, like uploading photos or syncing music or whatnot. With all that recurring, short interval activity I'm suspecting their service was unavailable or your ISP had problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I do have Podcast Addict set to automatically check for new podcasts at 6 AM, I'll disable that.

EDIT: I also have Google Photos set to upload only on wi-fi and when plugged in to a charger. I don't keep my phone plugged in when I'm asleep.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I do have Podcast Addict set to automatically check for new podcasts at 6 AM, I'll disable that.

EDIT: I also have Google Photos set to upload only on wi-fi and when plugged in to a charger. I don't keep my phone plugged in when I'm asleep.

PA probably would have only checked once (probably the cause of that solid block of awake time after 4 though), but I'm not sure if Google Photos would have been doing all that waking just to check whether the phone is charging (but Google gonna Google). Do you have any notifications for twitter/facebook or anything that went off a bunch of times?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I don't have the Twitter or Facebook apps installed on my phone.

EDIT: I do have Tinfoil for Facebook, but that shouldn't be causing it.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 19, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I don't have the Twitter or Facebook apps installed on my phone.

No IRC apps or Steam either? It looks like it's waking up every 5-10 minutes for a very short period of time.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

No IRC apps or Steam either? It looks like it's waking up every 5-10 minutes for a very short period of time.

I don't IRC apps either, but I have Steam, which may be the culprit.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I don't IRC apps either, but I have Steam, which may be the culprit.

Yeah, if (and this is a stretch) it wasn't able to stay connected for whatever reason like an ISP problem or steam maintenance then it would probably be trying to reconnect over and over. You clearly seem to have been able to download podcasts at 6 but there may have been something going on to mess with Steam. You could try uninstalling it for a night or two to see if the waking thing persists.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Uninstalled Steam, I'll post again in a few days with more information.

EDIT: I also want to clarify: I had Podcast Addict set to just check for new episodes, not to download them.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 19, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I got my Gear VR and I have to say it is absolutely amazing, it's not even close to Cardboard. The resolution is better (The screen door is real and everything is slightly blurry. Maybe, I have weird vision and wear one contact in the eye that actually has better vision but I saw that in reviews so), field of view is better, head tracking is better, no blur when looking around.

If you have a S6 buy this right now, it is so worth the $100. It's like looking in the future, a slightly blurry future but when you see it you know in just a few years you are going to have one of these except that it's going to be in perfect 20/20 vision, everything else is almost perfect. Oh and the Netflix app got panned a lot of places, I mean it's SD Netflix and you are just sitting in a room. Nope. I mean it's true but the resolution looks like anything else but sit on your sofa, put it on and you will swear you are in a completely different and wonderful place.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Who's brilliant idea was it to claim that hitting your phone against your desk fixes things?

Because you're a genius! My Z3C's headphone jack died, so I followed the thread's advice and gave it a good whack, and now I have headphone output again, but may have compromised the waterproofing.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

MarsellusWallace posted:

Who's brilliant idea was it to claim that hitting your phone against your desk fixes things?

Because you're a genius! My Z3C's headphone jack died, so I followed the thread's advice and gave it a good whack, and now I have headphone output again, but may have compromised the waterproofing.

Well the thread title only applies to the Nexus 5 and its power button related boot loop. (I have to admit it worked for me, as sad as that is.)

And while I'm on it, update on the Nexus 5 battery: The new battery seems to be genuine OEM and works great, battery life seems to be much better too so that's a plus. Opening the phone was a bitch but everything else was pretty easy. Compared to the new battery, the old battery seems a bit bloated (which probably explains the problems). I'm glad we replaced it before it had the chance to burn the place down.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I don't think the thread title meant fastball it into your desk.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
A few weeks ago, one of my rewards surveys was about owning a Nexus device. The survey asked whether the $50 Play Store credit had anything to do with my purchase (no), and then some questions that tried to determine how much I discount Play Store credit.

Now, the honest truth is that I don't buy much on the Play Store, so $50 in credit is not worth much to me. It's interesting to think about, but one of the questions was "Would you prefer $50 in store credit, or $20 off the cost of the device?" The clear answer for me was $20 off. I have always had similar feelings about included ear buds/cases/wrist straps/whateverthefuck -- I would literally prefer to not have them and save $1, as they are never ones that I would buy myself.

I think this survey was part of a larger experiment by Google, as they seem to be playing with cutting the prices on the phones. Discounting is an interesting behavioral concept, as it applies to many of our decisions (would you prefer $10 today, or $50 in one year?). I know they'll never release their data on this, but I'm guessing their strategy going forward will imply the result.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Not sure how it happened, probably from use and dropping, but I just noticed that my 2013 Moto X has about 7 total cracks on the sides, including a chunk missing between volume and power buttons.

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.

MarsellusWallace posted:

Does the headphone jack actually work again? If so, awesome.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Just install iOS 7 to waterproof it again.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MarsellusWallace posted:

Holy gently caress did you get caught cheating at football or something

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

nocal posted:

I think this survey was part of a larger experiment by Google, as they seem to be playing with cutting the prices on the phones.

Samsung has slashed their flagships below the Nexus X/P now albeit unofficially and everyone else is nipping at them from just below. I mean yes there are a lot of benefits to a Nexus device for early adopters but they are hardly the sold deal from the days of the Nexus 5 these days.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MarsellusWallace posted:

whose

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

MarsellusWallace posted:

What the hell did you do to your phone?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Looks to me like it fell, and hit the ground right on the corner.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

Looks to me like it fell, and hit the ground right on the corner.

From a 3 story rooftop?

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

MarsellusWallace posted:

A good solid whack on the desk should fix that right up.

The N5 bootloop desk trick actually worked for me twice before I got a refurb.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't think the thread title meant fastball it into your desk.
Reinforced concrete, and it was more of a post-touchdown style spike into the floor. At one point I did fastball my phone into the wall. It stuck into it like a tomahawk, it was pretty impressive. I've fastballed an HTC Desire HD so hard into the wall that the battery and cover wound up 8-10 feet away, tossed a nexus 4 onto flooring innumerable times, etc.

I had a Blackberry Curve that I steamed, burned with fire, and threw into a concrete wall. The fire and impact(s) never really damaged it other than cosmetically, but steaming it affected the battery life. at one time it fell out of my breast pocket onto the serpentine belt of an ISM and was launched into the radiator fan, which subsequently propelled it into the floor. Luckily the engine was idling, so the fan and belt were moving slowly. However, the impact with the floor scattered the battery, SD and SIM card around the garage, and damaged the charging indicator LED.

I had a case of beer fall off a pallet that was on a fork truck and impact the front-facing screen of an old Nokia flip-phone, which cracked the screen.

I have very specific anger management issues. I tend to just toss phones off into the distance when they malfunction and I'm intoxicated. Living in central Iowa means I have to drink quite a bit, so I can't really give that up barring legalization of an alternative. The prox sensor has been pretty wonky since I bought it, and yesterday it called an ex of mine while I was having a bit of an argument with my fiance. So, I did what any normal person would and spiked it into the floor. The phone still works, and the headphone jack was repaired in the process, for clarification. Still charger, makes phone calls, WiFi still functions, etc.

As a countermeasure I got an engineering degree and Cricket cell service, so I just budget $400 a year towards phone replacements. Since I always have (mostly) functioning backups there's not really a downside beyond the cost of replacement.

If anyone wants any better detail shots let me know. If I find that Blackberry I'll get some shots of it, it looks pretty rough, but still works. My current job has a very high-resolution X-Ray so I'll see if I can get it back in there and post a before/after shot of the internals.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Maybe you should be budgeting for some sort of counseling instead :stare:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

MarsellusWallace posted:

I have very specific anger management issues.

How's your relationship with your parents?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Buy more therapy, less phones.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

MarsellusWallace posted:

Reinforced concrete, and it was more of a post-touchdown style spike into the floor. At one point I did fastball my phone into the wall. It stuck into it like a tomahawk, it was pretty impressive. I've fastballed an HTC Desire HD so hard into the wall that the battery and cover wound up 8-10 feet away, tossed a nexus 4 onto flooring innumerable times, etc.

I had a Blackberry Curve that I steamed, burned with fire, and threw into a concrete wall. The fire and impact(s) never really damaged it other than cosmetically, but steaming it affected the battery life. at one time it fell out of my breast pocket onto the serpentine belt of an ISM and was launched into the radiator fan, which subsequently propelled it into the floor. Luckily the engine was idling, so the fan and belt were moving slowly. However, the impact with the floor scattered the battery, SD and SIM card around the garage, and damaged the charging indicator LED.

I had a case of beer fall off a pallet that was on a fork truck and impact the front-facing screen of an old Nokia flip-phone, which cracked the screen.

I have very specific anger management issues. I tend to just toss phones off into the distance when they malfunction and I'm intoxicated. Living in central Iowa means I have to drink quite a bit, so I can't really give that up barring legalization of an alternative. The prox sensor has been pretty wonky since I bought it, and yesterday it called an ex of mine while I was having a bit of an argument with my fiance. So, I did what any normal person would and spiked it into the floor. The phone still works, and the headphone jack was repaired in the process, for clarification. Still charger, makes phone calls, WiFi still functions, etc.

As a countermeasure I got an engineering degree and Cricket cell service, so I just budget $400 a year towards phone replacements. Since I always have (mostly) functioning backups there's not really a downside beyond the cost of replacement.

If anyone wants any better detail shots let me know. If I find that Blackberry I'll get some shots of it, it looks pretty rough, but still works. My current job has a very high-resolution X-Ray so I'll see if I can get it back in there and post a before/after shot of the internals.

Reminds me of my friend. His previous phone was fast-balled into his car windshield out of rage. Destroyed the phone, but I believe the windshield survived. Scary anger.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarsellusWallace posted:

Get therapy and rehab, you idiot.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

From a 3 story rooftop?

I had a friend drop his RAZR 11 stories off my balcony. It survived. I mean it was busted to all hell but it still worked and he used it until AT&T shipped him a new phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MarsellusWallace posted:

yesterday it called an ex of mine while I was having a bit of an argument with my fiance. So, I did what any normal person would and spiked it into the floor.

A) I'm sure it just randomly dialed your ex while you were right there having a throw-poo poo-and-yell match with your current.

B) Spiking it into the floor is not what a normal person would do. A normal person wouldn't have a phone that gained a sarcastic sort of sentience and dialed their ex during an argument with their current SO. I can't even imagine what that would have looked like. Like, you realized your phone dialed someone, registered who it was, and then loving gronked that poo poo into the floor like you just ran in for 6?

Dude, get a ruggedized phone that can handle your abuse and then use it to schedule some god drat therapy sessions - individual and couples' - because that poo poo isn't healthy and your marriage is going to be a loving shambles within 3 years because you can't control your goddamn emotions and your fiancé (spouse at that point) is going to realize they aren't required to suffer your instability. If you have ever told them you are working on those issues you should be loving ashamed of yourself for lying about that to the person who said yes to potentially spending the rest of their life with you.

Get help.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I now have my green z5 and it is awesome, although the remote play is weird. It seems to work OK but when I turn my controller on the connection with my ps4 drops out. Anyone else with this got any advice to improve the quality?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

iajanus posted:

I now have my green z5 and it is awesome, although the remote play is weird. It seems to work OK but when I turn my controller on the connection with my ps4 drops out. Anyone else with this got any advice to improve the quality?

Sounds like something going on with the PS4 handling multiple connected devices.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

FAUXTON posted:

Sounds like something going on with the PS4 handling multiple connected devices.

That's what I assume, but it's designed to do it so I'm not sure how to improve it.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So, as an AT&T customer I cannot get a Nexus 6P for upgrade unless I buy the thing full price and shove my sim card into it?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Correct, it's not being sold direct from any carrier in the US at least (unless you count Fi I suppose?).

Also took about 12-16 hours to get my Best Buy e-card, not too bad. Needed to pick up something locally so that + Amazon price matching worked real well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, Turbo 2 is obviously the phone for angry people.

https://youtu.be/fTJOL5ikuZA

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Also took about 12-16 hours to get my Best Buy e-card, not too bad. Needed to pick up something locally so that + Amazon price matching worked real well.

Bought something at Walgreen's at 1130, got the email with the giftcard at 1930.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Fat_Cow posted:

So, as an AT&T customer I cannot get a Nexus 6P for upgrade unless I buy the thing full price and shove my sim card into it?
Yes.
Although if you want to pay the extra $25/mo and sign a contract you can do the old "buy a phone on contract and sell it to buy what you really want" routine. Probably better to just buy the phone you want in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know much about the 1 plus 2 phone? Co worker pointed me onto it and besides the plain 1080p screen I can't seem to find anything wrong with getting one. Other than it's a completely unheard of brand, that is