Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My first round opponent did what I was hoping and picked up my (formerly) Rams and started them against me. Negative points would have been better than 4 but I'll take it. I hope Detroit scores 20 on his bench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

old dog child posted:

Just go straight to the keeper system you want to use. No one can be kept this year (since nobody prepared for it) so everyone has a chance to draft appropriately. Round +1 is a good way to do it. If you're going to have more than 2 keepers, I suggest doing accumulated penalties, so, for example, someone drafted in the 10th is 9th the next year then 8th the next year, etc etc. A kept first rounder would require a penalty to be applied to a lower keeper - note: this also means that there are ineligible combinations of keepers so you'd have to stay on top of that.

If you "start simple" you're not really helping the league. Going from 1 keeper to 3, 4, or 5, etc, will still require a transitional phase where owners will have to adjust. Just go with the system you think is best. Also, use https://clickydraft.com/draftapp/ for handling your draft since it's very intuitive and is easy to use for keepers.

I barely get the motivation of doing a snake draft in redraft leagues but the benefits go out the window entirely for keeper leagues. Build in a basic 10% keeper tax across the board and subtract the retention costs from their auction budget. Never worry about rounds again.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
We do:

2 keepers
Keepers start at the 6th round and after
3 year contract (includes first year)
1 round penalty per year
Waivers count as a 13th

And yeah you have to announce it early, our commish did after the Super Bowl for the following season (the transitional year where you get your potential keepers)

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

LmaoTheKid posted:

I got 15 points in PPR, I'm not being disingenuous at all.

Good fantasy performance, poor real life performance, aka the Joseph Randle story

Cheap Ass Bitch
Dec 3, 2006
I AM A CHEAP BASTARD! PLEASE MOCK ME!

Thanks for all the keeper advice guys. I think this will have to be a time that I use my powers and force through what I think is fair.

There are some other changes I want to make, but as soon as I mentioned auction with FAAB everybody freaked out. For a bunch of people that say they're serious about fantasy they seem to love playing with training wheels on.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

District Selectman posted:

Good fantasy performance, poor real life performance, aka the Joseph Randle story

Sure, why not? that's why it's called fantasy.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!

Cheap rear end Bitch posted:

So I have a question for you guys: next year I (the commissioner) want to move my league to a keeper format. What do you think are the best rules for keepers. I want to start out simple and only add 1 keeper for the first year, and see about expanding later. I'm in favor of something like the round the player was drafted in +1.

Other people in the league are in favor of any keeper taken automatically cost their first round pick. Now this seems like a crazy high penalty for keeping a player and makes it so somebody drafted in the 14th round is the same value as first rounder.

What seems fair here? This is one situation where I don't want to abuse my commish powers and push through what I think is best, but I don't want to move to keepers and basically nullify the entire point of having them in the first place.

Here's a link to my league's keeper rules. Feel free to modify as you see fit.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o6kjeIVVyHPw1csPtOa8U3t78a2GL5kwat8p9k3HhkY/edit?usp=docslist_api

Highlights include

2 keepers
Keeper cost is 2 rounds earlier than last year.
Can't keep anyone drafted in the first three rounds.
Can only keep a player three years (year acquired plus 2 keeper years)
Undrafted players cost a 10th rounder.

The nitty gritty is in the rules (what if player x is dropped/traded)

Here are the original rules I modeled them after. They're more complete with things like draft pick trading, which we don't allow but maybe it will be useful to you or someone else looking to start keepers.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cpLWV3Hz48rjFm5LgErRN_OQVEeeIR1lOChLcq3XCHQ/edit?usp=docslist_api

But as others have said, declare your move to a keeper league before the season and start fresh that year. If you don't someone is going to be butthurt that player I grabbed Jordy Nelson and Josh Gordon the second the rules changed to a keeper league.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

in other news I feel im going to regret starting Jarvis Landry over Evans :/

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

the_american_dream posted:

in other news I feel im going to regret starting Jarvis Landry over Evans :/

Why can't they both do well? That's what I'm hoping for. Jarvis knocked me out of the playoffs in one league, so I'm hoping he knocks out my opponent in another league. Go Jarvis Go.

Cheap Ass Bitch
Dec 3, 2006
I AM A CHEAP BASTARD! PLEASE MOCK ME!

ZIGfried posted:

Here's a link to my league's keeper rules. Feel free to modify as you see fit.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o6kjeIVVyHPw1csPtOa8U3t78a2GL5kwat8p9k3HhkY/edit?usp=docslist_api

Highlights include

2 keepers
Keeper cost is 2 rounds earlier than last year.
Can't keep anyone drafted in the first three rounds.
Can only keep a player three years (year acquired plus 2 keeper years)
Undrafted players cost a 10th rounder.

The nitty gritty is in the rules (what if player x is dropped/traded)

Here are the original rules I modeled them after. They're more complete with things like draft pick trading, which we don't allow but maybe it will be useful to you or someone else looking to start keepers.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cpLWV3Hz48rjFm5LgErRN_OQVEeeIR1lOChLcq3XCHQ/edit?usp=docslist_api

But as others have said, declare your move to a keeper league before the season and start fresh that year. If you don't someone is going to be butthurt that player I grabbed Jordy Nelson and Josh Gordon the second the rules changed to a keeper league.

Thanks for this, it's just about perfect for what I'm thinking. And yeah, this would be starting fresh for next season. With all the players that have gone on IR this year, it wouldn't be fair to anybody who dropped a potential keeper before they knew keepers were happening.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

If I don't get eliminated this week, you'll be rooting for me in the championships I guess!

I'm rooting for ash ketchum :colbert:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Fantasy Ethics Question:

I was the 2 seed in my league that I'm the commissioner of. I was also the Ingram owner. Immediately after Ingram going on IR, the 1 seed grabbed Hightower and Spiller, and then texted me to brag. Not a big deal, I have no problem with what he did or the trash talk.

However, he dropped his kicker to pick up Spiller, and still has a vacancy left on his roster.

So do I pick up and drop every single FA kicker so that they're all on waivers on Sunday? Is that too spiteful, especially where I'm the commish?

Talon Karrde
Oct 18, 2004
Should I play R. Wilson over Brady this week? Wilson has been scoring 60+ points the last few week in my league? But How can I bench Brady?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BigFactory posted:

So do I pick up and drop every single FA kicker so that they're all on waivers on Sunday? Is that too spiteful, especially where I'm the commish?

I am a commish in a league (the dynasty league I posted my roster for yesterday), and did this to a guy in my league, except with QBs and not Kickers. I say do it, if you're playing on Yahoo you have to hold a player for a day before they hit waivers however, otherwise they stay on FA.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

BigFactory posted:

Fantasy Ethics Question:

I'd say yes purely due to the brag text. Had he done his dirty work quietly I would say no.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

BigFactory posted:

Are you sure this will even work? Every league I've ever been in will dump the dropped players back to FA unless they're held for a while. In any event, foul play if it would work, in my view. It's one thing to add players who may be of use to your opponent, but I think this is an abuse of the waiver system.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Popero posted:

Are you sure this will even work? Every league I've ever been in will dump the dropped players back to FA unless they're held for a while. In any event, foul play if it would work, in my view. It's one thing to add players who may be of use to your opponent, but I think this is an abuse of the waiver system.

Yahoo* has rule conditions you can set that prevent the strategy from working, so if the league didn't put the rules in place then it's fair game.

*If the poster is on Yahoo.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MacheteZombie posted:

I say do it, if you're playing on Yahoo you have to hold a player for a day before they hit waivers however, otherwise they stay on FA.

Yeah, it's Yahoo. I forgot about that bit. Oh well, would have been funny.

He probably still would have won his matchup this week. The guy he's playing against has been starting Shane Vereen every week since like week 6.

Cyrelio
Mar 28, 2015

Talon Karrde posted:

Should I play R. Wilson over Brady this week? Wilson has been scoring 60+ points the last few week in my league? But How can I bench Brady?

Kind of a toss up there, since Tennessee (New England plays) + Cleveland (Seattle plays) defenses are terrible and give up good points against opposing QBs (5th and 8th respectively I think). I think I'd give the edge to Brady though since Gronk is almost all the way back. I hope he gives me good points this week in my semifinal matchup.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Talon Karrde posted:

I'd play Russel, the browns defense is so bad that Wilson could easily rush for 50 yards and throw for 4-5 tds and 250 yards.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Russ seems to be the consensus number one quarterback this week. He's playing against a garbage defense, he's been putting up huge numbers the past few weeks and now he just lost ANOTHER running game weapon. He's going to be throwing/running himself all game and it would be very surprising if he doesn't finish as one of the top five quarterbacks on the week.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
Mike Pettine was also making comments this week about how he doesn't view Wilson as one of the elite QBs of the league. Russ definitely heard about that. The Seahawks are going to drop 50 on the Browns easily.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
In one of my leagues that has a 8 team playoff (lol), i snuck in barely with a 6-7 record and last week i upset the #1 seed who was 11-2 by .40 points thanks to Brady. This week i'm going against the 3rd seed who is 9-4 and had ASJ yesterday against his Doug Martin, it was looking pretty crappy at halftime, but now i'm projected to win by a couple points.

I know i know, lolprojections. It'd just be real lol for me to win it all with a 6-7 record.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

VietCampo posted:

In one of my leagues that has a 8 team playoff (lol), i snuck in barely with a 6-7 record and last week i upset the #1 seed who was 11-2 by .40 points thanks to Brady. This week i'm going against the 3rd seed who is 9-4 and had ASJ yesterday against his Doug Martin, it was looking pretty crappy at halftime, but now i'm projected to win by a couple points.

I know i know, lolprojections. It'd just be real lol for me to win it all with a 6-7 record.

The startup year in my keeper league in 2009, I went 10-3, was the #1 scorer by about 200 points, and had a lineup of:

QB: Peyton Manning
WR: Marques Colston
WR: Calvin Johnson
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew
RB: Arian Foster
TE: Dallas Clark
W/T: Sidney Rice
FLEX: Pierre Thomas

Plus a very good defense (two top 5 DB, two top 10 LB, Jared Allen at DL) and the #1 kicker

Lost in the finals to the 6-7 team that rode Jonathan Stewart to back to back 30+ point weeks in 15 and 16. He knocked off #3, #1, and #2 in the 3 playoff weeks and was the #2, #1, and #1 scorer in the league for those weeks.

e: 12-team league, 6 team playoff.

e2: 1-3 were 10-3, 4 & 5 were 9-4, every other team was 6-7 or worse

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 18, 2015

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

BigFactory posted:

Fantasy Ethics Question:

I was the 2 seed in my league that I'm the commissioner of. I was also the Ingram owner. Immediately after Ingram going on IR, the 1 seed grabbed Hightower and Spiller, and then texted me to brag. Not a big deal, I have no problem with what he did or the trash talk.

However, he dropped his kicker to pick up Spiller, and still has a vacancy left on his roster.

Absolutely. And i'd text him too.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

BigFactory posted:

Fantasy Ethics Question:

you idiot there are no ethics in fantasy, waiver-hog all the FA kickers in your league and the punters too just to be sure

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
My flex options - Yahoo standard no PPR:

Shaun Draughn v CIN
Bryce Brown v CLE
Donte Moncrief v HOU

and free agents

Zach Miller @ MIN
Heath Miller v DEN
Jermaine Kearse v CLE
Nate Washington @ IND

This is just throwing darts right?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Keith Atherton posted:

My flex options - Yahoo standard no PPR:

Shaun Draughn v CIN
Bryce Brown v CLE
Donte Moncrief v HOU

and free agents

Zach Miller @ MIN
Heath Miller v DEN
Jermaine Kearse v CLE
Nate Washington @ IND

This is just throwing darts right?

I guess Brown if you want high ceiling, or Draughn or Moncrief for a floor?

For as much floor as the RB for this awful Niners team or an injured WR with an injured backup QB can give you.

I'd probably just play Brown and hope he scores a TD and hope that he does not fumble in the first quarter and get benched with a -0.8 for you.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Call me crazy but I'm feeling pretty good about starting Bryce Brown this week. I expect the Browns to get ripped apart and Seattle will still run it against them. Plenty of opportunity there for him.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Tiptoes posted:

Call me crazy but I'm feeling pretty good about starting Bryce Brown this week. I expect the Browns to get ripped apart and Seattle will still run it against them. Plenty of opportunity there for him.

huh weird, i was expecting him to get 12 yards on 4 carries and then fumble and get benched.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
The good news for me is that I am in the playoffs in all 3 of my leagues, the bad news is my main one goes to week 17 which sucks, especially as I have Cam who might end up rested. My backup QB is Carr, and I don't like his chances against KC wk17. As it's a 14 team league and most teams have multiple QBs my options are thin. I've been waiting for someone to drop someone half decent for weeks, to no avail. Does anyone think it's worth stashing any of these? Standard scoring:

Bradford @ NYG
Bridgewater @ GB
Cassell v Wash
Gabbert v StL
Keenum @ SF(assuming I can get him on waivers)
McCarron v BAL
Manziel v PIT
Or if Cam is rested, Anderson v TB

Also to chime in on Bryce Brown, I would definitely not start him until we've seen what his workload and productivity will be, especially in the playoffs, unless I had no other choice. I have him but he'd likely be the guy to drop for the QB as I have Ivory + Powell, L Murray and Hightower as well (I always flex a WR).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Aguamoose posted:

The good news for me is that I am in the playoffs in all 3 of my leagues, the bad news is my main one goes to week 17 which sucks, especially as I have Cam who might end up rested. My backup QB is Carr, and I don't like his chances against KC wk17. As it's a 14 team league and most teams have multiple QBs my options are thin. I've been waiting for someone to drop someone half decent for weeks, to no avail. Does anyone think it's worth stashing any of these? Standard scoring:

Bradford @ NYG
Bridgewater @ GB
Cassell v Wash
Gabbert v StL
Keenum @ SF(assuming I can get him on waivers)
McCarron v BAL
Manziel v PIT
Or if Cam is rested, Anderson v TB

Also to chime in on Bryce Brown, I would definitely not start him until we've seen what his workload and productivity will be, especially in the playoffs, unless I had no other choice. I have him but he'd likely be the guy to drop for the QB as I have Ivory + Powell, L Murray and Hightower as well (I always flex a WR).

I don't have a choice. My own incompetence and injurageddon have left me with having to pick a RB and a flex from Brown, Bolden, Diggs, Bryant, Fozzy, Ryan Matthews, and Kelce.

Currently going Bryce Brown and Bolden but I would gladly here a compelling argument for someone else.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Start the Carr.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Paperback Writer posted:

Start the RCarr.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Currently going Bryce Brown and Bolden but I would gladly here a compelling argument for someone else.

From what I recall of the matchups they all have I would probably choose Brown and Bolden too. But I'd have a very sad face when setting the lineup.

I might, maybe, play Bryant. Assuming you meant Martavis. There was an interesting post on reddit about how starting AB or Bryant this week might not be as daunting as it first appeared. Plus he's been pretty consistent all season when taking the field, even against good defenses like the Seahawks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyfootball/comments/3x95op/antonio_brown_and_martavis_bryant_owners_we_know/

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

VietCampo posted:

huh weird, i was expecting him to get 12 yards on 4 carries and then fumble and get benched.

Make that 35 yards on 2 carries and we are in agreement.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Bryce Brown elicits a terror that amuses me so much. I'm going to have fun riding him to a championship. No fear!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Any Chargers fans have insights regarding Woodhead's lack of production lately, even in PPR? I tried googling for news hits win the past week, but nothing.

I realize SDC is injured everywhere and their general offensive output has been down, but Danny has been really underperfoming even in touches and it's a bit baffling considering you'd imagine they would find a way to get him involved as a weapon (with injuries to their receivers). Why aren't they?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Aguamoose posted:

From what I recall of the matchups they all have I would probably choose Brown and Bolden too. But I'd have a very sad face when setting the lineup.

I might, maybe, play Bryant. Assuming you meant Martavis. There was an interesting post on reddit about how starting AB or Bryant this week might not be as daunting as it first appeared. Plus he's been pretty consistent all season when taking the field, even against good defenses like the Seahawks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyfootball/comments/3x95op/antonio_brown_and_martavis_bryant_owners_we_know/

It's Dez. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Im currently starting Tyler Lockett over Dez and the only other way im leaning is maybe going Bolden in that spot instead. :sigh: I miss you Dez

• Locked thread