Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Runcible Cat posted:

Guardian of Isis, by Monica Hughes. It's the sequel to Keeper of the Isis Light.

Holy cow you are amazing! I never knew it was a series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

froglet posted:

Holy cow you are amazing! I never knew it was a series.
Went downhill from the first book IYAM, but maybe I should reread them and see what I think now....

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Sci-fi story, pretty short.

A rich guy has made a time machine. The narrator tests it out with him and they go either very far into the past or very far into the future, like either the big bang or the end of the universe. At one point something sees/attacks them and I think it's described as being like a shark in some way.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Since someone helped me in this thread, I wanna pay it forward - and your story sounds to me like "Lost" by Larry Niven, which is part of the Draco Tavern anthology.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Lot 49 posted:

Sci-fi story, pretty short.

A rich guy has made a time machine. The narrator tests it out with him and they go either very far into the past or very far into the future, like either the big bang or the end of the universe. At one point something sees/attacks them and I think it's described as being like a shark in some way.

drat I think I remember this one. Was the machine like a big hole in the ground?

Got it! In The Abyss off Time, by Stephen Baxter.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 20, 2015

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Got it! In The Abyss off Time, by Stephen Baxter.

That's the one, thank you.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Can't take full credit. I had asked about it earlier in the thread :)

Still, good story!

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
Fantasy book / series?

This was a number of years ago but I feel like reading a lovely book during the holidays. Anyway, it had some magic dudes , possibly a separate race, and the real danger with the magic guys vs regular humans was special magic dudes who had greater control and I think could link people together and sort of use them as their own. The magic race people had weird features like white hair I believe, they also had less of a lifespan -- possibly related to how much magic they used? The main character was trying to hide his weaving ability but accidentally showed it to some magic girl by creating a small tornado in his hands. Also , the apparent antagonist was an chancellor of the empress that conquered the magic people , but he secretly wanted to revive their kingdom and be evil and stuff.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Lumius posted:

Fantasy book / series?

This was a number of years ago but I feel like reading a lovely book during the holidays. Anyway, it had some magic dudes , possibly a separate race, and the real danger with the magic guys vs regular humans was special magic dudes who had greater control and I think could link people together and sort of use them as their own. The magic race people had weird features like white hair I believe, they also had less of a lifespan -- possibly related to how much magic they used? The main character was trying to hide his weaving ability but accidentally showed it to some magic girl by creating a small tornado in his hands. Also , the apparent antagonist was an chancellor of the empress that conquered the magic people , but he secretly wanted to revive their kingdom and be evil and stuff.

Deryni?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
The first was I'm pretty sure was a book that had a lot of either child or teen characters on a generation ship (maybe?) in which one of them makes or rebuilds a matter transmitter and I think they escape the ship at the end through it? I remember picking it up from a used book store in the late 90s early 00s and it was pretty heavily yellowed at the the time.

The second was a short story in either a sf/f magazine or a collection that I've been trying to find if only to identify the author. I think it's first person and the main character is a gay researcher on something, but they use this weird strung out body like those exhibits that show just the nerve system, but with everything and it was alive on the wall. And I say this without the slightest hint of joking, it ends with him having literal butt babies with I think two husbands somewhere in south america and gay dudes are going to take over the world by outbreeding the straights because gay dudes literally only have sex all the time. This was also early 2000s I think. I know this story is real and I really want to find the author and know what the hell their deal is.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks

I don't think this is it but deryni does seem like a fun read too.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Lumius posted:

I don't think this is it but deryni does seem like a fun read too.

How about Winds of the Forelands?

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks

I think this is exactly it , thanks so much.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Ok, I've been racking my brains trying to remember this book for a couple of years now.

I read it about 22 years ago (when I was 14), so it's pretty hazy.

All I can remember is that it was a coming of age type story, and it revolved around teens (pre-teens?) at a camp of some kind. There's a girls camp nearby, maybe? I know the protagonist spends a good portion of the book pining after a girl.

The lyrics to a song that go "up and down and round and round" appear throughout the story.

At one point, one of his friends gets bitten by a spider, and they lance the boil but forget to disinfect the needle and he gets an infection and dies.

That last part could be a bit different than I'm remembering.

It was an old book that I found in my uncles collection. Very old style covering and binding, and smelled about a thousand years old. I know that's likely not very helpful...but I'd be surprised if it was published after 1980.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 26, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think this is a kid's book. All I remember is that the protagonist is kind of young (probably no more than 10) and she(?) lives in a city, probably New York City. She's traveling to somewhere more out in the country, and she's amazed about how bright the autumn leaves are, because in the city the leaves just turn kind of brown because of the pollution.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
This one is going to be difficult. I'm looking for a short story I read online, many years ago.

A blind woman gets a phonecall from her sister. The sister is a single mum and has up until a few months ago homeschooled her son. Convinced her son is a genius she has named him something super pretentious like Ludwig Amadeus Hamlet, and only taught him things like classical music, ancient Greek works of literature, Shakespeare etc. The child has never had any kind of social interaction with other children.
But a few months ago a social worker came around and made it clear that either this boy starts school, or else he will be placed in care. At school the boy is completely confused, and unable to understand much of what is going on. When asked if he has a PlayStation he answers something like "I like lots of plays" and starts spouting lines from Greek classics. But gradually he makes friends and starts having normal interests, prefering to play football after school instead of listening to opera with his mum. Mum gets very upset over these changes.
Finally mum has a breakdown, calling her blind sister, ranting about how it only took school a few months to turn a genious into a monkey, and now she doesn't know what to do, she can no longer control this monkey and she wants her son back.
The blind aunt arrives at her sister's house. She finds the door unlocked. In the hall she finds a phone message confirming a purchase of a single plane ticket to Brazil or some other far away country. She also finds that there are no traces of her nephew, not even a single piece of child size clothing. What should have been the nephew's room is empty. However, there is a small monkey running wild in the living room.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Devorum posted:

Ok, I've been racking my brains trying to remember this book for a couple of years now.

I read it about 22 years ago (when I was 14), so it's pretty hazy.

All I can remember is that it was a coming of age type story, and it revolved around teens (pre-teens?) at a camp of some kind. There's a girls camp nearby, maybe? I know the protagonist spends a good portion of the book pining after a girl.

The lyrics to a song that go "up and down and round and round" appear throughout the story.

At one point, one of his friends gets bitten by a spider, and they lance the boil but forget to disinfect the needle and he gets an infection and dies.

That last part could be a bit different than I'm remembering.

It was an old book that I found in my uncles collection. Very old style covering and binding, and smelled about a thousand years old. I know that's likely not very helpful...but I'd be surprised if it was published after 1980.

Those lyrics are probably from the song "At the hop", if that helps your search at all

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
What was the series or author with the Vaun Neuman seeded machines that were some sort of infection (cubes containing the seeded machine and could make people into superhumans?) and humanity had to work and avoid the devils deal and also fight them off at the same time?

Washout fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 8, 2016

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Washout posted:

What was the series or author with the Vaun Neuman seeded machines that were some sort of infection (cubes containing the seeded machine and could make people into superhumans?) and humanity had to work and avoid the devils deal and also fight them off at the same time?

That could be almost Singularity sky which was basically how stupid age of sail in space is given that a few generations difference of tech would be I recognizable. Wiki page

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Washout posted:

If it's not Singularity Sky, it could be Asher's Polity series (where the nanotech in question are called "Jain nodes").

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

ToxicFrog posted:

If it's not Singularity Sky, it could be Asher's Polity series (where the nanotech in question are called "Jain nodes").

Yeah that's it, thanks!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have a recollection of old 70/80s paperbacks, either published by Playboy or Penthouse, which was about the smutty R-18 adventures of a woman. The author has a "St." in the last name somewhere, like Something St. James or Something St. Pierre.

Any help? I have some vague memories of the scenes written in the books but I don't know if they'd be any help, like I said it was mostly paperback, somewhat fantastical smut.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have a recollection of old 70/80s paperbacks, either published by Playboy or Penthouse, which was about the smutty R-18 adventures of a woman. The author has a "St." in the last name somewhere, like Something St. James or Something St. Pierre.

Any help? I have some vague memories of the scenes written in the books but I don't know if they'd be any help, like I said it was mostly paperback, somewhat fantastical smut.

Blakely St. James?

(which deeply amuses me, because I took a writing workshop with Charles Platt once. He mentioned he'd done romance novels under a female pseudonym but he certainly didn't mention THESE.)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

computer parts posted:

I think this is a kid's book. All I remember is that the protagonist is kind of young (probably no more than 10) and she(?) lives in a city, probably New York City. She's traveling to somewhere more out in the country, and she's amazed about how bright the autumn leaves are, because in the city the leaves just turn kind of brown because of the pollution.

I remember the leaves detail in one of the Fudge books by Judy Blume.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I remember reading a book long, long ago about an english/dutch ship of settlers sailing to Spanish-occupied America, and the main character's dad gets killed by conquistadors and then he has to evade said conquistadors through Florida swampland or something similar. Along the way he meets up with an escaped African slave child and a tribe of Native Americans who help him. There was one scene in particular about the main character finding a piece of fish, but finds out that it's covered in ants, so he dunks it in the water to try and clean it. Towards the end he is disguised as one of the conquistadors from the help of the natives after eating a meal of deer meat and infiltrates a Spanish outpost, I think.

Anybody got an idea of what I'm talking about? Read back in 4th-5th grade, if that helps.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
All I remember is that the book had a wizard who abused his assistant, a dashing bard character who got in a fight covered in flour, and they were trying to find a "universal rap sheet". It ended on a cliffhanger and I never figured out the rest.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I am in need of your always generous help again, please thread. I have two books taking around my head:

1) A non-fiction book I read about 15 years ago. It was presented as a series of Sherlock Holmes short stories in which Holmes and Watson investigated mysteries that were all based on modern scientific things, so the reader could learn about modern science (I want to say it was just physics, but I'm not 100% on that) in the guise of fiction. One of the mysteries involved a heavy metal sphere dived in half, and it turned out that when the two halves were joined together a nuclear explosion occurred. That sort of thing.

2) Is a fiction book I read about the same time, though probably earlier. It was set in a small (Mid-Western?) American town, and from what I recall it was about a high school football player and his life after high-school not being all that great. I think he hit his girlfriend and she lost an eye? Someone certainly had one fewer eye at the end of the book than they had at the start.

I know that's not much to go on in either case, but I'd be very grateful for any help, thanks!

e: 1 was solved by the kind goon below, and after a minor flash of inspiration I'm 99% sure that 2 is Goodnight, Nebraska by Tom McNeal.

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 18, 2016

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Pork Pie Hat posted:

1) A non-fiction book I read about 15 years ago. It was presented as a series of Sherlock Holmes short stories in which Holmes and Watson investigated mysteries that were all based on modern scientific things, so the reader could learn about modern science (I want to say it was just physics, but I'm not 100% on that) in the guise of fiction. One of the mysteries involved a heavy metal sphere dived in half, and it turned out that when the two halves were joined together a nuclear explosion occurred. That sort of thing.

The Einstein Paradox by Colin Bruce.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Action Jacktion posted:

The Einstein Paradox by Colin Bruce.

Ah, that's the one! Brilliant, thank you very much.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Wanderer posted:

There was a cheap horror novel in my high school library that I remember distinctly as being extremely depressing. It was a zombie novel, where the end of the book involved all the zombies suddenly falling over dead, followed by a supervirus wiping out the remaining humans, and finally Zombie George HW Bush hitting the nuclear button and destroying everything. For my seventeen-year-old self, it was utterly bizarre to see a book that ended not merely that bleakly, but in such a "Okay, gently caress my characters" sort of way.

I've been thinking for the last ten years that it was Robert McCallum's Swan Song, but looking at the book's Amazon page, it can't be.

Quoting myself from a few years ago. I reminded myself just now that I still couldn't remember the name of the book or the author. It would have had to have been published before 1995 or so.

(Also, Swan Song is $1.99 on Kindle right now, if anyone's interested.)

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

This came up in an IRC channel, and it's driving me nuts. It's a short story I read online years ago, and it was about copyright gone mad in the near future. As a part of everyone's daily routine, they settle lawsuits and pay license fees because of all the infringement they're doing just by hearing a neighbor's stereo or humming a song to themselves. The story's kind of about a parent teaching their preteen kid how to handle all of these micro-lawsuits. Most are settled for pennies or fractions of a cent, but it's just a constant thing they have to deal with.

It's proving to be quite difficult to find on Google.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Melancholy Elephants by Spider Robinson?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

Melancholy Elephants by Spider Robinson?

Nope. That one's about discussing the potential of infinite copyright terms. The one I'm thinking of is shorter, and doesn't touch on copyright length, IIRC. It was about how often you infringe in daily life and a possible future of everyone suing everyone for every possible infringement, even little kids.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Yo I got a science fiction short story that I'm struggling to find, it was about a team of virtual people making a copy of themselves to drop into a black hole to do cool research before those copied consciousnesses inevitably died, and there's a virtual stowaway girl or something that comes along for the ride, it was extremely dense with technical concepts and I think the title had "Drop" in the name.

e: nvm found it, was called "The Planck Dive" and I guess I mixed up dive and drop in my head

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 24, 2016

Terciel
Jan 26, 2016
I'm looking for this book series about a polar bears wearing armor, a compass that lets its user answer any question, and a bunch of witches and familiars.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Terciel posted:

I'm looking for this book series about a polar bears wearing armor, a compass that lets its user answer any question, and a bunch of witches and familiars.

The trilogy starting with Northern Lights aka The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krazyface posted:

I remember the leaves detail in one of the Fudge books by Judy Blume.

That seems likely, I read that as a kid.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?
I'm trying to remember the title of a YA book I read in the 80s / 90s about a girl who has a growth spurt and suddenly everyone is calling her Giraffe. She finds this unbearable. She makes a new friend who seems to accept her but who is also a real jerk. They spend time bullying the new friend's little sister. At one point they make cookie dough with dish soap in it and feed it to the little sister, who cries. I think they maybe also lock the little sister in a box by the railroad tracks? Eventually they go Too Far and then Repent.

I think the title had "Summer" in it. I'm not sure I want to re-read it because those kids were real assholes but it's driving me crazy.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I need some help looking for a book that I saw discussed on io9 a while back. I honestly can't remember if it was a graphic novel or traditional novel, so maybe you all can help?

It was about two sisters, maybe female friends, that at least one of them got super powers? I believe it was described as "melancholy". It came out around 2013/2014. I searched all through io9 and couldn't find it. :/ Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Synnr posted:

The second was a short story in either a sf/f magazine or a collection that I've been trying to find if only to identify the author. I think it's first person and the main character is a gay researcher on something, but they use this weird strung out body like those exhibits that show just the nerve system, but with everything and it was alive on the wall. And I say this without the slightest hint of joking, it ends with him having literal butt babies with I think two husbands somewhere in south america and gay dudes are going to take over the world by outbreeding the straights because gay dudes literally only have sex all the time. This was also early 2000s I think. I know this story is real and I really want to find the author and know what the hell their deal is.
I can't pin it down but I've definitely read it before, which makes me think it was in one of the Hartwell-edited Year's Best SF collections at some point over the last two decades because I don't read a lot of isolated short fiction.

The boyfriend (not the man who got pregnant but the other one) was South American of some sort, yeah. Oh, and the butt babies are always twins for... reasons. I swear it does exist.