Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
xdg-app seems cool and good and i'm considering using ostree for this embedded thing i'm doing right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

linux

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
dont bother with xdg. google and docker are finalizing their ballpitting specificatiion and that's going be the direction everything goes

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

dont bother with xdg. google and docker are finalizing their ballpitting specificatiion and that's going be the direction everything goes

Urban Dictionary: ball pitting
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ball+pitting
Urban Dictionary
When you stick your nut sack in someone's butt hole during intercourse. Hey Jeff, do you enjoy ball pitting? by Ballpitter69 December 23, 2013. 28 1. Add your ...

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

carry on then posted:

Urban Dictionary: ball pitting
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ball+pitting
Urban Dictionary
When you stick your nut sack in someone's butt hole during intercourse. Hey Jeff, do you enjoy ball pitting? by Ballpitter69 December 23, 2013. 28 1. Add your ...

reminds me of when ton' freaked that bitch out

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i finally fixed my crazy up/down arrows by disabling touchpad scrolling in the terminal (which i dont use) but i had to compile a new tmux to make it work

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
sounds like linux is nearly rady for the laptop, i cant wait

pram
Jun 10, 2001

:q:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
n+1 year of linux on the desktop
n+2 year of linux on the laptop

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Linux on the laptop is legit OK. On every dell I've used, suspend *just works*, external video just works, all ports just work fine.

But if you suspend while plugged into an external monitor, there is a ~5% chance that gnome won't lock your screen.

Other than that, when we have Linux on the desktop, we will also have Linux on the laptop.

Gnome on the tablet, however, will never cease to be viable until it becomes a first-class target and displaces all other form factors.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
http://www.capcom-unity.com/haunts/blog/2014/12/06/street-fighter-v-announced-exclusively-for-ps4-and-pc

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-will-never-get-a-version-of-street-fighter-5-/1100-6427987/

http://www.capcom-unity.com/combofiend/blog/2015/12/17/announcing-steam-os-support-for-sfv

Street Fighter V will appear on PS4, PC, and Steam OS. Not the 3rd generation xbox, aka "xbox 1".

Gentlemen, we have finally achieved Linux on the home gaming console.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
if i close my lappy lid with my big rear end external monitor it always just stays on and think thats my main monitor now. its sucky. but then again, if i leave it on overnight with all my crap on its lagged to gently caress balls in the morning so its better to just turn it off anyways. fail.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

celeron 300a posted:

Gnome on the tablet, however, will never cease to be viable until it becomes a first-class target and displaces all other form factors.

tablets were a stillborn form factor and gnome/kde were both stupid for chasing that dream

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Smythe posted:

if i close my lappy lid with my big rear end external monitor it always just stays on and think thats my main monitor now. its sucky. but then again, if i leave it on overnight with all my crap on its lagged to gently caress balls in the morning so its better to just turn it off anyways. fail.

set vm.swappiness to 0 and see if the "lagged to fuckballs" problem disappears

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tablets were a stillborn form factor and gnome/kde were both stupid for chasing that dream

if by stillborn you mean "incredibly popular, except they turned out to be giant smartphones rather than keyboardless laptops"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

we never chased it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
you could argue that we chased touchscreen laptops a bit too hard because when windows 8 was coming out literally every laptop ever released had a touchscreen, but at that point every other bug we got was about how the touchscreen didnt work

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

if by stillborn you mean "incredibly popular, except they turned out to be giant smartphones rather than keyboardless laptops"

large smartphones are popular, but they are all small enough to

a.) fit in your pocket
b.) hold one-handed against your head (e.g. for phone conversation)

that is to say, they are not tablets.

actual tablets that you hold in your lap or on a table, like the ipad, are something only a handful of rich people will pay for. the "third device" just isn't a must-have.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 19, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

you could argue that we chased touchscreen laptops a bit too hard because when windows 8 was coming out literally every laptop ever released had a touchscreen, but at that point every other bug we got was about how the touchscreen didnt work

ok, so for once gnome managed to avoid a dumb trend and kde didn't.

a low bar and a rare victory

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
yea i have a tablet and tbh i only use it to watch videos on at night and occasionally browse the internet in bed

its also one of the slowest loving devices ive ever used, its horrible

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
tablets are p. dece when you're away from your glorious pc browsing master race machine

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tablets are p. nice but sales are falling pretty heavily so their overall relevance is indeed not great

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its unbelievable to me how bad non beefy desktops are. theyre slow, you cant click anything good, you cant run a poo poo load of programs. they suck to type on. eveyrththing about non computers suxors. IMO, well, FOR ME - it's better to do the computering at the Big Computer and when you're away AFK - hell, just DWI.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Smythe posted:

its unbelievable to me how bad non beefy desktops are. theyre slow, you cant click anything good, you cant run a poo poo load of programs. they suck to type on. eveyrththing about non computers suxors. IMO, well, FOR ME - it's better to do the computering at the Big Computer and when you're away AFK - hell, just DWI.

+1 insightful

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i have a tablet and i like it but i recognize it is never going to be a mass market device that every household has, like PCs and smartphones

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i am using my ipad pro constantly

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

you could argue that we chased touchscreen laptops a bit too hard because when windows 8 was coming out literally every laptop ever released had a touchscreen

not all of them, the ones people actually wanted, Macs, have never had touchscreens

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
yea, the ones that people can't install linux on

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

yea, the ones that people can't install linux on

you can install Linux on Macs, you just don't need to

people install Linux to get a better OS than Windows, and Macs come with a better OS than either Windows or Linux already installed

how's that KDBus coming along again? even Windows has had decent IPC since the release of NT…

also I just learned that Linux still has a laughable, library-based implementation of posix_spawn that just does a vfork and exec, how can you get poo poo like that wrong in 2015?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

eschaton posted:

also I just learned that Linux still has a laughable, library-based implementation of posix_spawn that just does a vfork and exec, how can you get poo poo like that wrong in 2015?

please explain in detail why that is laughable and wrong

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
kdbus works super nicely but was blocked on some fairly petty politics. there's going to be a new approach coming quite soon to get around that.

i wouldn't say mach ipc is a shining beacon of ipc, either, and nt doesn't have any multicast ipc primitives from what i can tell? it's on the same level as current linux ipc: sockets and pipes and fifos and such

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

this is also how it works on solaris

the only purpose of posix_spawn is to be a user-friendly vfork() that doesn't allow you to do anything stupid. a library wrapper around vfork+execve is a perfectly good solution.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
posix_spawn() is for platforms too lovely to provide a full fork()/exec().

Of course the specialized hack is going to be implemented in terms of the generalized primitive.

Creating new processes on Linux even with vanilla fork() is fast as balls, and even if it wasn't then you'd have some serious design issues if fork() speed was anything approaching a bottleneck.

it is actually linux that is the world's most advanced operating system kernel

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

kdbus works super nicely but was blocked on some fairly petty politics. there's going to be a new approach coming quite soon to get around that.

if kdbus got blocked for political reasons then what makes you think bus1 won't suffer the same fate

some people will only be happy if the ultimate solution is created by somebody who has nothing to do with lennart poettering.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mr Dog posted:

if kdbus got blocked for political reasons then what makes you think bus1 won't suffer the same fate

some people will only be happy if the ultimate solution is created by somebody who has nothing to do with lennart poettering.

what i'm hearing is, oust linus, replace with lennart

call it lennarx

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
pass all messages through a nosql database running on every machine

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

posix_spawn() is for platforms too lovely to provide a full fork()/exec().

Of course the specialized hack is going to be implemented in terms of the generalized primitive.

Creating new processes on Linux even with vanilla fork() is fast as balls, and even if it wasn't then you'd have some serious design issues if fork() speed was anything approaching a bottleneck.

it is actually linux that is the world's most advanced operating system kernel

well, fork w/out exec is a bad idea that leads to overcommit, and deadlocks and leaks and such

fork is not fast as balls -- it scales linearly with the amount of address space used, because it has to copy the page tables.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

no one ever had problems with fork speed

the problem is memory overcommit. if your java process with a 32G heap forks to exec 'ls', the memory commit is briefly 64 GB. (even though none of that memory will ever be touched.) if you don't have enough swap configured, bad things happen.

vfork + an immediate execve hypothetically fixes this problem, but it's still possible to gently caress it up. (and vfork is un-standardized, so the semantics can vary)

posix_spawn just forces you down the road of using vfork + execve correctly. it's idiot-proof. it's bumpers on your bowling lane.

having a correct posix_spawn is so cool and good it's included in gnulib, the gnu portability library for papering over lovely unix details.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

rebrand lennart, problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
that makes sense i suppose