Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

If you're just doing Orc I definitely wouldn't go deeper into the Abyss. If you're getting trashed on Abyss:1 the increased difficulty of Abyss:3 is more likely to kill you than help you find an exit faster, and the rune vault (if you find it) almost certainly will.

If you're not confident in your ability to tackle the Abyss, you should pretty much always stay on Abyss:1 if at all possible. The only time I'd ever advise against that is if you see something you know you can't escape and there's a downstairs close enough to get away into. For example if you see a raiju pack at the edge of the screen and you don't have rElec, bailing to Abyss:2 might be a reasonable choice because you might die otherwise. But if there's poo poo you can run from, just run from it. That's the real secret of surviving the Abyss: always run, if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
To add to that, assuming you have a base speed character there's a surprising amount of enemies that either only match your speed or you can even outrun. A hell sentinel is pretty much harmless if you encounter it at the edge of your LOS and have somewhere to retreat. On the other hand, a thrashing horror is going to murder your health and not even Spriggans can outrun them, so you better teleport immediately if you see one with an early game character. A ring of teleportation really comes in handy in the Abyss as well, since you never know how many teleports you need until the ride ends (it's the only place I use it aside from maybe Tomb).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Heithinn Grasida posted:

There are three reasons to train a weapon on a wizard. First, if you don't follow vehumet and don't get lucky with books, you'll run into serious problems with offense by the time you reach lair. You definitely can kill everything just with your starting spells even through the end of lair, but it will likely make you want to tear your hair out and it's far from ideal. Second, you don't really have anything else to train. Conjurations is of no use past 5-6 for magic dart, and even that is far from necessary. Putting two points into air and a point in poison for lower failure rate on meph cloud is a good idea. If you're a deep elf, going deep into hexes for a high power, long duration slow can be really good, but it's not worth it for most species. Your spells really only need enough investment for them to work in the first place and spell power is only really significant with slow (and maybe repel missiles, but there are far more important ways to use your XP in the early game), so there's no reason to invest heavily in casting. That means you can start training a weapon with only a little more investment into your spells as a skald would make and less than a hybrid ice elementalist. Finally, the book of minor magic is awesome for early game melee characters. Conjure flame significantly boosts your damage in lair, imps interfere and block for you as well as dealing solid damage early, blink is good for everyone, meph cloud is a win button for early game melee characters and slow is also a win button for things you can't meph if you invest in hexes, though that's rarely worth it.

Sure, you can play a wizard as a straight caster, but it's one of the best backgrounds for melee and going for melee makes the early-mid game much easier. It's certainly a much stronger melee start than a skald, even if the book of battle is far better in the mid-late game.

If I wanted to make a hybdrid character I definitely WOULD go wizard with as much or more frequency than skald, necromancer, or ice elementalist, but it's also an excellent start for pure casters and lets you survive off pure cleverness while pumping up generic good skills like fighting/dodging/spellcasting/(in/e)vocation or increasing your conjuration or summoning in preparation for stronger spells down the line.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Can Of Worms posted:

Caught the end of a player doing this challenge. That was an interesting watch...

What is the context of "a webtiles server that isn't packed with goons".

Do we have a clubhouse that I missed at some point?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Goons ruin everything they touch. Even the clubhouses we apparently inhabit.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?

Zarick posted:

If you're just doing Orc I definitely wouldn't go deeper into the Abyss. If you're getting trashed on Abyss:1 the increased difficulty of Abyss:3 is more likely to kill you than help you find an exit faster, and the rune vault (if you find it) almost certainly will.

If you're not confident in your ability to tackle the Abyss, you should pretty much always stay on Abyss:1 if at all possible. The only time I'd ever advise against that is if you see something you know you can't escape and there's a downstairs close enough to get away into. For example if you see a raiju pack at the edge of the screen and you don't have rElec, bailing to Abyss:2 might be a reasonable choice because you might die otherwise. But if there's poo poo you can run from, just run from it. That's the real secret of surviving the Abyss: always run, if you can.

This is good advice. Especially running. A lot of the enemies in the Abyss are roaming and awake, so the longer you stay in one place and make noise fighting, the more you'll get mobbed.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Can Of Worms posted:

Caught the end of a player doing this challenge. That was an interesting watch...

Has anyone actually cleared this, I'd sooner punch myself in the dick

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

apple posted:

It sounds like the best way to quit Crawl forever, since I don't see anyone enjoying the game again after that.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It sounds like it's a challenge for the HAM. Normal game too casual and full of tedious optimization! PUNCH MUMMY.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

apple posted:

At least one person. I don't understand why.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PleasingFungus posted:

At least one person. I don't understand why.

Please tell me it's someone who just wrote a lovely bot to alternate tab and autoexplore and set it to run ten thousand times until it won.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

rchandra posted:

I'll almost always go deeper - you get more exits, as well as the chance for the rune (on floors 3+), which also increases your exits.

Incidentally, MR won't protect you if it was a random orc (with a distortion weapon) - MR will only protect you from the spell (Ogre Mages could have it, in Orc).
I think it might have been an ogre mage, but it wasn't in my line of sight when I got abyssed, I was just auto exploring what I thought was a cleared stage and bam, "you have been sent into the abyss". I'm kind of frustrated because that was one of my better characters but it's just what roguelikes do

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
That image is really funny. GJ to whomever made it.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Dirk the Average posted:

Please tell me it's someone who just wrote a lovely bot to alternate tab and autoexplore and set it to run ten thousand times until it won.

Nope. Actual person. Highlight included having no rCorr due in Slime due to the amulet conduct, running out of tele and blink scrolls, and using a torment / immolation bomb combo to take out TRJ while being a mummy without body armour.

gammafunk
Dec 19, 2015
is this thing working? i paid for this crap after all.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

welcome to the secret goon cabal

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Dirk the Average posted:

Nope. I think at least two people were doing it. I spectated a while on Implojin's game of this, where he said he came back to Crawl for the challenge. :shrug:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

gammafunk posted:

Who is this newbie scrub casual crawl player?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
implojin (the person I watched) ans VinniePaz (aka dck? not sure) have done it. dck has some recordings of the attempts on youtube.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Gozag confirmed to be secretly universal Beogh.

Went down next level and a death cob joined. Yred, too, I guess.

e: going into Zot 5, it had increased to three tentacled monstrosities, a knight, a zealot, and three more normal draconians.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 20, 2015

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

gammafunk posted:

You are now compromised by the goon hivemind and therefore not to be trusted in all matters crawl-related. So yeah, it's working.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Can Of Worms posted:

I decided to try this and I died instantly to two unarmed hobgoblins. MuMo the dream

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why are ghouls allowed to use regeneration while other undead can't? Not that I'm complaining mind you, just find it odd.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Why are ghouls allowed to use regeneration while other undead can't? Not that I'm complaining mind you, just find it odd.

Ghouls and vampires can both regenerate. Mummies and liches can't. This has been true for as long as those species and spells have existed, afaik.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

PleasingFungus posted:

Ghouls and vampires can both regenerate. Mummies and liches can't. This has been true for as long as those species and spells have existed, afaik.

unrelated to crawl, but, goons come up with the worst red titles i swear to god

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

unrelated to crawl, but, goons come up with the worst red titles i swear to god

check out the post I got it for

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

hito posted:

I decided to try this and I died instantly to two unarmed hobgoblins. MuMo the dream
I died on DL 5 to a centaur trying to play the scummiest possible

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yesterday I would have considered a level with Natasha, a player ghost, Sigmund, and an orc band with a priest and wizard all within a room's length of each other some unbeatable rng bullshit and probably would have gotten myself killed trying to find the down stairs in a panic, but god drat I just killed every single one of them and levelled up 3 times. Wizard really is amazing.

Also on this character I found a book of the Warp. Are there any spells in this thing that are particularly useful and worth studying up for?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Yesterday I would have considered a level with Natasha, a player ghost, Sigmund, and an orc band with a priest and wizard all within a room's length of each other some unbeatable rng bullshit and probably would have gotten myself killed trying to find the down stairs in a panic, but god drat I just killed every single one of them and levelled up 3 times. Wizard really is amazing.

Also on this character I found a book of the Warp. Are there any spells in this thing that are particularly useful and worth studying up for?

Gell's Gravitas might be good, I'm not sure anyone's sure. Force Lance is decent these days, Summon Forest is strong if you have the XP to dump into two schools you aren't using super heavily at present. Phase Shift will be very good eventually (by mid-late game?) but it's not worth investing for yet.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

someone paid money for that for multiple people

christ

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I might invest in forest summon since I just found a book of beasts as well and will probably be training summoning pretty heavily. I also found a ring of stealth in a shop and I'm thinking I might also do a bit of stealth on the side. How decent of a stealthy character would a high elf wizard even make?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Phase Shift is great. That said, I'd hold off on it for now since it sounds like you haven't hit the midgame yet. At this stage you'll help your survivability more by investing into your main offenses or into regular old defensive skills.

Everything else is really character-dependant. Force Lance is okay, better if you haven't found another mid-level conjuration yet or really enjoy knocking poo poo into walls. Gell's is weird and they keep trying to make it better but as far as I know it's not actually better yet.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I might invest in forest summon since I just found a book of beasts as well and will probably be training summoning pretty heavily. I also found a ring of stealth in a shop and I'm thinking I might also do a bit of stealth on the side. How decent of a stealthy character would a high elf wizard even make?
The thing with stealth is that its main purposes are:
-Letting you see monsters without them noticing you immediately, giving you a chance to run away, reposition, or draw individuals away from a pack
-Letting you lose monsters more easily after they've noticed you

Assuming you stay in robes or leather, it'll be very easy to pick up enough stealth skill for that. Get it up to 7 or so and you're good to go. I wouldn't even bother buying the ring - a ring of stealth is essentially a ring of "I have nothing better for this slot yet".

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 20, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Can Of Worms posted:

I tried this and died to the second enemy. It was a hobgoblin with a club.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

PleasingFungus posted:

Gell's Gravitas might be good, I'm not sure anyone's sure. Force Lance is decent these days, Summon Forest is strong if you have the XP to dump into two schools you aren't using super heavily at present. Phase Shift will be very good eventually (by mid-late game?) but it's not worth investing for yet.

I was not able to get any use out of Gell's Gravitas on my DEAM. It might as well not even exist. I think it might be okay at high spell power, but it basically does nothing at all except cost 3 mp at the power level you're likely to be using it in the early game.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I would go force lance and ice beasts from the book of beasts, then work on summon forest. That's spreading your experience out across a lot of schools, though, which might not work out, depending on your god. Summoners typically work best when they can stand next to monsters and take hits for their summons, so they strongly recommend themselves to a hybrid play style, but that's obviously something to focus on later.

Stealth in crawl is a defensive layer that gives you more control over where and when you fight and is useful to all characters. Focusing entirely on stealth, however, isn't usually a good idea. You'll never be able to sneak up on everything. Enchanters are the real stealth start because they have hexes that let you disable enemies that you can't sneak up on and then stab them. Wizards can pull it off too because you can use meph cloud to enable stabs with a shortblade, and high elves have decent enough aptitudes for it; a few levels in short blades and stealth is a very solid investment on a low level high elf wizard. But don't go overboard, stealth is good for defense and escape, but it's very difficult to make it work as your main strategy for killing things and short blades are not good in toe-to-toe fights with nasty enemies.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This is easily my best run so far. I'm running a High Elf Wizard that just hit level 10. I've got a ton of enchanted gear including +2 robes of magic resist, +2 helmet, +3 buckler of reflection, +2 shortsword, ring of wizardry, and a +4 ring of evasion. I think I'm gonna worship Sif Muna so I can branch out and find which spells I find to be the most fun. I also managed to find 2 spellbooks like I mentioned earlier, the beasts book and warp book. I doubt I'm gonna win with this character, but I'm pretty confident that I can get it to at least the mid-late game.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I was not able to get any use out of Gell's Gravitas on my DEAM. It might as well not even exist. I think it might be okay at high spell power, but it basically does nothing at all except cost 3 mp at the power level you're likely to be using it in the early game.

Gell's Gravitas was rebalanced to be dramatically stronger at low power, about a month after your deam.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Is there an easy way to auto inscribe an item if you took it off of an Unique or am I going to have to go through and just do
code:
autoinscribe += <name of unique>:<name of unique>
for all of the ones I would care about?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

This is easily my best run so far. I'm running a High Elf Wizard that just hit level 10. I've got a ton of enchanted gear including +2 robes of magic resist, +2 helmet, +3 buckler of reflection, +2 shortsword, ring of wizardry, and a +4 ring of evasion. I think I'm gonna worship Sif Muna so I can branch out and find which spells I find to be the most fun. I also managed to find 2 spellbooks like I mentioned earlier, the beasts book and warp book. I doubt I'm gonna win with this character, but I'm pretty confident that I can get it to at least the mid-late game.

Yeah, I'm on my best Wiz run right now too. I'm trying to find a buckler still, but I'm rocking hard and kicked the ghost of my last greatest Wiz with ease. What I'm finding making me a lot stronger is going hybrid, I'm a robe wearing long blade swinging high elf, who has about 10 AC and can easily slice an orc or 3 apart in a sword fight - combined with being a Wiz and getting Summoning up (Imps EVERYWHERE) and Conj (Vehumut gave me Shock which unlike Dart goes through enemies, line them up in a corridor and smell the burning orc flesh).

I killed Grinder AND my last great Wiz's ghost at the same time, by having Imps keeping them busy and off me while throwing in ranged magic attacks, crowd controlling with the Conjured Flame and loving whacking either with my falchion when they got too close.

Can anyone recommend a morgue file parser? Some utility or tool that I can point to my directory of morgue files and it gives me stats, like how many runs total and how many things killed total and what classes I like running most and stuff like that?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Vehumet was really tempting this run since I've already found 3 different spellbooks so far. I'm still going with sif though since there's probably a load of cool spells I haven't tried yet. That shock spell sounds amazing for dealing with those huge bands of orcs or gnoll patrols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Haha. What?

• Locked thread