Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

CobiWann posted:

I don't suppose a package arrived for your other half from Fredericksburg this week?

Sorry, I've also been out of the county!

I'd like to apologize to my Santee. I was so close to being able to send you a complete set, and it was cheap on eBay, so I got stuck waiting for the last bit. Your parcel should go out on Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So despite watching a lot of Who I am still sort of new at the whole "watching while it airs" thing. I feel like Capaldi is just getting started but historically Doctors have tended to get around three to four seasons. We're not actually anywhere near saying goodbye to him, right?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's quite possible he'll go next series

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I know I say this about every Doctor, but I do hope he sticks around a long time. The fact he was such a huge fan as a kid and that he has already had a pretty goddamn amazing career before getting the role makes me hopeful :shobon:

Also I've been rewatching In The Thick of It and I am still amazed at how great a character Malcolm Tucker was, and just how well Capaldi played the part. The episode where he takes Terri aside and just vents about how he can feel power slipping from his fingers is extraordinary.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
DoctorWhat is literally the worst.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's quite possible he'll go next series

You shut your WHORE MOUTH.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

TinTower posted:

DoctorWhat is literally the worst.

false

im da bes

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

So despite watching a lot of Who I am still sort of new at the whole "watching while it airs" thing. I feel like Capaldi is just getting started but historically Doctors have tended to get around three to four seasons. We're not actually anywhere near saying goodbye to him, right?

When Moffat confirmed the show's going to be on air for at least 5 more years, he pretty heavily said that unless Peter changed his mind and wanted to do something else, he'd be there through it. And if Moffat can provide him more incredible-acting fodder like Heaven Sent, it'll feel like a breeze, no matter how long he actually is around.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Capaldi is at the age where he can do anything he wants, so the role is his as long as he wants it, basically. He doesn't have to worry about typecasting, especially because he's already played another character in danger of being typecast. I wouldn't be surprised if he were to leave after next year, but if anybody would stick around, it would be him.

It feels like part of the reason Moffat has been so aggressive about getting new blood into the writing and directing staff these past two years is that he's searching for a successor. It definitely feels like he's trying to leave but doesn't want to leave the show in the wrong hands.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rochallor posted:

but doesn't want to leave the show in the wrong hands.

Mrs Gillyflower: :haw:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Jerusalem posted:

Also I've been rewatching In The Thick of It and I am still amazed at how great a character Malcolm Tucker was, and just how well Capaldi played the part. The episode where he takes Terri aside and just vents about how he can feel power slipping from his fingers is extraordinary.

Yeah the thing with Peter/Malcom is everyone is all "lol sweary" but he's at his best when he's channelling the real tragedy and emptiness of Malcom - there's actually quite a bit of depth to the character. The last eps of S3 are some of my favourite TV because he's utterly terrifying but also completely hollow and devastated, it's really incredible. I thought S4 pushed it a bit to far trying to cram in the swears which made the writing weaker, but the last half of S3 is some of the best contemporary drama the BBC has done in a while.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The bit with the birthday cake from the Prime Minister really nails this point in my mind.

(yes, I've finally watched a BBC series, shut up)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

The bit with the birthday cake from the Prime Minister really nails this point in my mind.

Only one BBC series? Then you've still got at least Red Dwarf, Coupling, Green Wing and Black Books to watch :colbert:.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Only one BBC series? Then you've still got at least Red Dwarf, Coupling, Green Wing and Black Books to watch :colbert:.

Oh yeah, Coupling. I have seen that one.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Half of those are Channel 4. :colbert:

kant
May 12, 2003

Rochallor posted:

Capaldi is at the age where he can do anything he wants, so the role is his as long as he wants it, basically. He doesn't have to worry about typecasting, especially because he's already played another character in danger of being typecast. I wouldn't be surprised if he were to leave after next year, but if anybody would stick around, it would be him.

It feels like part of the reason Moffat has been so aggressive about getting new blood into the writing and directing staff these past two years is that he's searching for a successor. It definitely feels like he's trying to leave but doesn't want to leave the show in the wrong hands.

Plus with Capaldi being such a big fan I wouldn't be surprised if he has a checklist of what he needs to accomplish before he's willing to leave. I know my list would include things like piloting a tardis with original console room and being referred to as lord president. I wonder if some stuff like that we're getting is actual fan service or Capaldi service!?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Clearly not only one, what with this being the Doctor Who thread and all :v:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What second doctor reconstructions are worth watching? Last night I wasn't much in the mood to watch reconstructed stories in my "whole series*" run through, so I skipped anything marked "Recon", but then BOOM, I'm at The War Games (which is fun), and then to #3. I was shocked how few second doctor stories are complete. Is it only War Games and Tomb of the Cybermen?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Clearly not only one, what with this being the Doctor Who thread and all :v:

It's not BBC, it's BBC America!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

Cobi, if you haven't watched at least the first five seasons of Red Dwarf by Regeneration, we're going to have words. :colbert:

The seasons are really short, and the show is hilarious.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

After The War posted:

Cobi, if you haven't watched at least the first five seasons of Red Dwarf by Regeneration, we're going to have words. :colbert:

What's the worst you can do, make me watch The Monsters of Peladon?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

What second doctor reconstructions are worth watching? Last night I wasn't much in the mood to watch reconstructed stories in my "whole series*" run through, so I skipped anything marked "Recon", but then BOOM, I'm at The War Games (which is fun), and then to #3. I was shocked how few second doctor stories are complete. Is it only War Games and Tomb of the Cybermen?

Track down the animated versions of the Moon Base and the Invasion. Both are fantastic.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

CommonShore posted:

Give Enemy Of The World and The Web Of Fear a shot for existing Troughton (well, ep 3 of Web is a recon but still). For missing stuff with recons, go Power Of The Daleks and Macra Terror.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

As a contrast to Burkion, I absolutely despise animated reconstructions. I think you're better off just watching the still image ones.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CommonShore posted:

There's also The Krotons, The Enemy of the World, The Mind Robber and The Dominators complete.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

After The War posted:

Looks like I'm working on the next series of RD at the start of next year. One more British sci-fi to ruin :)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

echoplex posted:

Looks like I'm working on the next series of RD at the start of next year. One more British sci-fi to ruin :)

Don't worry, they're way ahead of you :v:

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Don't worry, they're way ahead of you :v:

The season on DAVE or whatever (X?) is pretty dang solid, despite general oldness/flabbity. No Kochanski, original style Holly, no smegs given about continuity...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ThaGhettoJew posted:

The season on DAVE or whatever (X?) is pretty dang solid, despite general oldness/flabbity. No Kochanski, original style Holly, no smegs given about continuity...

Yes, but series IX Back To Earth is literally the worst thing ever made.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's also The Krotons, The Enemy of the World, The Mind Robber and The Dominators complete.

Also, The Mind Robber is fantastic.

echoplex posted:

I really dug the last season, it was a very pleasant surprise after how awful the show had gotten. Have fun!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

CommonShore posted:

As far as reconstructions go, Power of the Daleks , Evil of the Daleks, and Fury From the Deep are probably the best. The Highlanders is worth it solely because it introduces Jamie but it'll also make you really mad because it contains lots of physical comedy gags that we'll never get to see.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I keep reading that as The Croutons and wondering how that even works.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

I keep reading that as The Croutons and wondering how that even works.

They're South African geode men!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'd just like to poke my head in and opine that Peter Harness should be dissuaded from a approaching a writing desk ever again, via gunpoint if needed.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Peter Harness is a good writer whose Dr Who scripts have had to deal with some unfortunate but explicitly unintentional radio-frequency interference from a metapolitical perspective.

Frank Boyce can eat poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Peter Harness is a good writer whose Dr Who scripts have had to deal with some unfortunate but explicitly unintentional radio-frequency interference from a metapolitical perspective.

Yes, yes, Holmes and Watson, you've been to college, so have I, we're all so terribly impressed.

Only 10 minutes left of this two-parter, thank Christ.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Nothing to do with digesis. Just that Harness is a capable and often creative writer, and furthermore a progressive, whose scripts have used imagery and iconography that have also been used, in different contexts, by regressive organizations. He should probably just write a really good romp next season. Take him off the two-parters and Moral Dillemma episodes for a while - not because he's a regressive but because he's a little loosey-goosey with his rhetorical devices - but he's a good hand to have on the writing roster. Strong dialogue, solid pacing in Zygon Inv, good fundamentals.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

If he has such good fundamentals then why is doctor who and the space spiders such boring garbage even before the ~moral dilemma~ turns up halfway through?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

CommonShore posted:

Web of Fear and Macra Terror are both solidly in my list of top five original run serials. You owe it to yourself to watch them. Power of the Daleks, Faceless Ones, Tomb of the Cybermen, Abominable Snowmen and Wheel in Space are all good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If he has such good fundamentals then why is doctor who and the space spiders such boring garbage even before the ~moral dilemma~ turns up halfway through?

Because Moffat imposed a "Hinchcliffe it the gently caress up" mandate on it (this is literally true) and that is not a mode Harness is predisposed towards.

If you wanna see Harness write really goddamn well (although it is an adaptation) watch Johnathan Strange & Mr. Norrel.

• Locked thread