Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Holy poo poo fatbikes look fun as hell but I don't cycle enough on the bike I have (maybe I need a road bike ? Can you get fatroadbikes?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Yeah I am dumping this stupid fat oval office GF. I am over here crying my loving balls off talking about killing myself and she doesn't want to drive 20 minutes to my loving house to give me a hug because she wants to take a nap. gently caress her. Selfish oval office piece of poo poo. I just spent all week after work at her house because she was sick. What a loving piece of poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

Holy poo poo fatbikes look fun as hell but I don't cycle enough on the bike I have (maybe I need a road bike ? Can you get fatroadbikes?)

I always thought fat bikes were like five grand. If there's an entry-level way to get involved they seem like hilarious fun in winter.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 19, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I always thought fat bikes were like five grand. If there's an entry way to get involved they seem like hilarious fun in winter.

There is a cheap way to get into fat bikes; it'll cost you about seventy bucks.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I hear you get assburgers from Five Guys, confirm/deny

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Five Guys and Chipotle both exist so reasonably well off white people don't actually have to put effort into life.

:v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Fatbike tyres are HILARIOUSLY expensive. I'll stick with my full suspension 'skinny' tyres that don't cost as much as a set of car tyres to replace.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I always thought fat bikes were like five grand. If there's an entry-level way to get involved they seem like hilarious fun in winter.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoose-Hitch-Men-s-All-Terrain-Fat-Tire-Bike-Red/42248079

You can buy a cheapo version of ANYTHING.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Surly has a couple of their fat bikes on sale right now, you can get a pugsley for 900, moonlander which comes with 5" tires is 1200. I have some friends that do a lot of winter riding on them.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So with just over three days to go, I have received 44 entries for the Sheep Game. The greater the number of players, the better and more fun the results...come play today, it'll only take you a few minutes!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yeah I am dumping this stupid fat oval office GF. I am over here crying my loving balls off talking about killing myself and she doesn't want to drive 20 minutes to my loving house to give me a hug because she wants to take a nap. gently caress her. Selfish oval office piece of poo poo. I just spent all week after work at her house because she was sick. What a loving piece of poo poo.

It was fun while it lasted. We had some fun times...

It probably won't make you feel better but if you are crying, talking about suicide, and posting on the internet you just desperately needed to vent. Get it out of your system then take a step back from everything and work out a battle plan instead of sitting around like a stale bottle of piss feeling sorry for yourself.

poo poo happens. It happens to me daily. The options are to get things straightened out and keep going, or giving up. The latter really isn't even an option. Seriously what the hell does giving up even imply?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
What's so special about fatty bikes? I was looking at pictures. They just look like bikes with fat tyres. What else is different?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Big tires plus really low pressure give you a lot of traction and makes it easier to ride on snow and sand and other loose stuff. Downside is that when you pick up downhill speed they get a little out of control due to all the undamped rotational mass.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

This month you can get a surly pugsley for $900. Less if you want a single speed.

If I hadn't just dropped too much money on a bike, I'd buy one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It is the 20th of December, so I guess I am now officially An Old :corsair:

I treated my family to Christmas lunch at a nice restaurant. 12 people, 6 courses, $1035. Ow my loving wallet.

Here's to another 30 years :toot:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 20, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

She came by and we talked and smoothed things over. She has a hard time communicating her emotions and poo poo abd I told her she needs to try better. First argument we've ever had and we talked things out in about 15 minutes. I just wanted to talk to her since I am a mess right now. I feel a lot better.

We rented Dope. Awesone movie so far. I love A$AP Rocky.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Went out Christmas shopping and decided to get myself an early present.

Nice and smooth with a bit of citrus.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

That feeling when you havent been able to do anything on your house because its been 40+ degrees all week, and then it pisses down with rain, but you cant be mad because you reallyreallyreallyreally need the 1600L or so of water your roofs caught from it because your running out of drinking water for the house...

That basically sums up my day. Now its going to be humid AND muddy!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So I changed the oil on my pickup about 3 months ago, but if it's been 200 miles I'd be surprised. I want to try 15w40 or 20w50 and see if it helps the smoking... Do I really need to change that filter? :v:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

iwentdoodie posted:

Five Guys and Chipotle both exist so reasonably well off white people don't actually have to put effort into life.

:v:

While driving around today I saw a new chipotle and I got excited. Then I saw it was a chipotle with a DRIVE THRU :vince: I wept openly.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Star Wars trip report: It's good

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Spent most of the day gathering up all the crap in my wife's office/library (read, dining room) that's been gathering there for donation. That room tends to be the catch-all for "stuff". While I was in the mood, I gathered up a bunch of my old magazines that I read once and will in all honesty never read again. I used to keep magazines to refer to later, but the internet, and the speed at which tech and knowledge move has pretty much obviated this.
The upshot is that a bunch of magazines will be going out the door. The mid-to-late '90 Macintosh computer mags I think will just go into the recycling - I don't see anyone ever needing that info again. Pity, MacAddict was a good rag. The old Game Informers are also going. I also seem to have pretty much a complete collection of Sport Compact Car from '99 to 2007, and Truckin' from the mid-'90s. I hate to just chuck those, so I'm going to see if Half Price Books will take them. It would be great to get a few $$ for them, but even if not and someone gets the chance to enjoy them, that would be nice.
I can't bring myself to do the same to my Hot Rod, Car Craft, Popular Hot Rodding, and various other car and model-building mags just yet, but I'm sure that they're time will come. I'd like to get the big names in a digital collection or something. Dead trees are hard to keep around, and I haven't really needed them since the internet happened. I used to re-read them. Hell, I got started reading my Dad's Hot Rods, etc. from the '60s and '70s way back when.
It's getting to where I'm loath to buy physical books, just because I know I'll have to store them.

Anyone have any better ideas on what to do with old mags? I guess I could take a few and leave them at the doctor's office when I visit, just so there will be something decent to read...
Just throwing them away feels like a waste, though I know I got value out of them by reading them from cover to cover. Thanks to the internet, I don't read any of them any more. I still have unread issues of Hot Rod from when I had a subscription several years ago.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Anyone have any better ideas on what to do with old mags? I guess I could take a few and leave them at the doctor's office when I visit, just so there will be something decent to read...

That is a good idea. Although I did enjoy reading the article on a farmer exchange program between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. in a National Geographic or something at the optometrists.
I recall onbe of the local hospitals had magazines with ads about the new Datsun Sunny and Mitsubishi Sigma. The reading material around here is old. I've got a stack of old magazines that I have no use for any more that might brighten someone's waiting experience.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Pham Nuwen posted:

So I changed the oil on my pickup about 3 months ago, but if it's been 200 miles I'd be surprised. I want to try 15w40 or 20w50 and see if it helps the smoking... Do I really need to change that filter? :v:

Nah. You probably still should, but it should be fine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

General_Failure posted:

That is a good idea. Although I did enjoy reading the article on a farmer exchange program between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. in a National Geographic or something at the optometrists.
I recall onbe of the local hospitals had magazines with ads about the new Datsun Sunny and Mitsubishi Sigma. The reading material around here is old. I've got a stack of old magazines that I have no use for any more that might brighten someone's waiting experience.

My normal GP usually at least has some reasonably recent Car and Drivers. I can work with that. One of them at that office is a pilot, so there's usually a few aircraft mags about, too, which will do in a pinch. The urgent car place had gently caress-all that wasn't women's magazines or home and garden stuff. Maybe I should just wander in with an arm load of car mags.
Lately I just make sure I have my phone or iPad with me.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Darchangel posted:

My normal GP usually at least has some reasonably recent Car and Drivers. I can work with that. One of them at that office is a pilot, so there's usually a few aircraft mags about, too, which will do in a pinch. The urgent car place had gently caress-all that wasn't women's magazines or home and garden stuff. Maybe I should just wander in with an arm load of car mags.
Lately I just make sure I have my phone or iPad with me.

The GP here has those R.M. Williams Outback magazines, some assorted 4x4 and offorad camper magazines that are 90% advertising and a stack of women's mags with the puzzles filled out.
I take my phone too. If I'm lucky I get reception and usually just browse bookmarked threads on Awful.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Darchangel posted:

The urgent car place

:haw:

We had my wife's side of the family over yesterday, it was great to get mother-and brother-in-law together without a fight, he's turning into a nice person since he met his current girlfriend a couple of years ago. It would have been nice to have her over too but she's training to become a paediatric oncologist whilst being a full time pediatrician, so she needed sleep.

Mother-in-law is also turning into a really nice person the last couple of years, since she retired and got diagnosed and treated for diabetes. She used to be really snappy and bitchy but teaching children with untreated 'beetus will do that to you.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Darchangel posted:

Just throwing them away feels like a waste, though I know I got value out of them by reading them from cover to cover. Thanks to the internet, I don't read any of them any more. I still have unread issues of Hot Rod from when I had a subscription several years ago.

I'm having this dilemma. I have loads of old magazines. I used to keep them in the hall outside the shitter and was gradually working my way through them but I obviously don't spend enough time in there as I've hardly made a dent over the past couple of years and my cheap ikea billy is collapsing under the weight.

I wish I could get digital versions of them instead.

Ive got poo poo loads of landrover magazines (starting form about 1992) plus I've got my dads old 'practical classics' collection (a UK car restoring mag) which spans 1980-1990 - which are awesome reads.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

We rented Dope. Awesone movie so far. I love A$AP Rocky.

That's actually the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. I just about laughed myself a new hernia when hearing the Justin Bieber line.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I wish I could get digital versions of them instead.

Ive got poo poo loads of landrover magazines (starting form about 1992) plus I've got my dads old 'practical classics' collection (a UK car restoring mag) which spans 1980-1990 - which are awesome reads.
Yeah, I have a load of magazines in my loft all boxed up. My ideal solution would be to scan them all and then see if anyone on Ebay wants them (20+ year old stuff probably has some kind of market), but :effort:.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Somewhat Heroic posted:

While driving around today I saw a new chipotle and I got excited. Then I saw it was a chipotle with a DRIVE THRU :vince: I wept openly.

Welp, it was nice being thin while it lasted.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I have a load of magazines in my loft all boxed up. My ideal solution would be to scan them all and then see if anyone on Ebay wants them (20+ year old stuff probably has some kind of market), but :effort:.

Since all the stuff I have is still published I should probably buy a new issue and see if they actually sell the back issues as PDF's already?

Looks like the way to scan a magazine/book is to guillotine the spine off so you can then just duplex scan it on an autofeed scanner, so I guess some of its ebay value as a paper magazine is gone by then. or do you mean to sell the PDF's themselves? I wonder how the current publishers would feel about this?
there seem to be loads of downloadable retro computer mags around (finding this is gonna slow my reading of the real magazines down even more now!), but nobody seems to offer car mags.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Spent most of the day gathering up all the crap in my wife's office/library (read, dining room) that's been gathering there for donation. That room tends to be the catch-all for "stuff". While I was in the mood, I gathered up a bunch of my old magazines that I read once and will in all honesty never read again. I used to keep magazines to refer to later, but the internet, and the speed at which tech and knowledge move has pretty much obviated this.
The upshot is that a bunch of magazines will be going out the door. The mid-to-late '90 Macintosh computer mags I think will just go into the recycling - I don't see anyone ever needing that info again. Pity, MacAddict was a good rag. The old Game Informers are also going. I also seem to have pretty much a complete collection of Sport Compact Car from '99 to 2007, and Truckin' from the mid-'90s. I hate to just chuck those, so I'm going to see if Half Price Books will take them. It would be great to get a few $$ for them, but even if not and someone gets the chance to enjoy them, that would be nice.
I can't bring myself to do the same to my Hot Rod, Car Craft, Popular Hot Rodding, and various other car and model-building mags just yet, but I'm sure that they're time will come. I'd like to get the big names in a digital collection or something. Dead trees are hard to keep around, and I haven't really needed them since the internet happened. I used to re-read them. Hell, I got started reading my Dad's Hot Rods, etc. from the '60s and '70s way back when.
It's getting to where I'm loath to buy physical books, just because I know I'll have to store them.

Jesus we're pretty similar. I can't bear to get rid of old magazines (especially early issues of MacAddict) but I did in the end. Otherwise it's just hoarding, and I have enough categories of other stuff to hoard.

I think there's an online archive of Hot Rod now (according to the latest issues of Hot Rod) but I doubt there will ever be one for SCC.

Doctors' office seems like an interesting idea. I'd much rather read a review of a mid-90s software product that gets dinged for retaining a Windows-esque interface than the April 1992 issue of Time.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Nodoze posted:

Star Wars trip report: It's good

Seconded

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So some shithead tried to burn down the UU church I go to.

More pics.

They'd had several breakins over the past couple of weeks, so they went by to check on the place Wednesday, and walked into a building full of smoke. Good thing they decided to check on the place when they did.

Damage is pretty minor (for fire damage), but who the gently caress tries to burn down a church?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Darchangel posted:

Last year (or maybe the year before?) my office was collecting stuff to send to the troops stationed in the gulf area fighting terrorists. Specifically listed in the things that the troops requested were magazines (and toilet paper), so I collected all my Sportscar and Grassroots Motorsports magazines (and probably some others) and sent them off to the troopies. I'll never re-read any of them (I never have in 50 years, probably won't start this year), so why not let some troops enjoy them?

some texas redneck posted:

Damage is pretty minor (for fire damage), but who the gently caress tries to burn down a church?

poo poo heads.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 20, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

God applying to jobs sucks. It is frustrating that I am applying to jobs that require you to go to a vocational school, which I did, but there is never a loving option for it to click on for your Education. I either have to put High School and look like a loser (yeah yeah I know I am anyways lol) or put College amd have to explain it somehow afterwards.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Since all the stuff I have is still published I should probably buy a new issue and see if they actually sell the back issues as PDF's already?

Looks like the way to scan a magazine/book is to guillotine the spine off so you can then just duplex scan it on an autofeed scanner, so I guess some of its ebay value as a paper magazine is gone by then. or do you mean to sell the PDF's themselves? I wonder how the current publishers would feel about this?
there seem to be loads of downloadable retro computer mags around (finding this is gonna slow my reading of the real magazines down even more now!), but nobody seems to offer car mags.
I mean scan my copies and sell the originals, keeping the pdf for myself.

A lot of mine will no longer be published, so a download is probably not an option, but even if it were, I wouldn't spend the money when I already have the content.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Super Aggro Crag posted:

God applying to jobs sucks. It is frustrating that I am applying to jobs that require you to go to a vocational school, which I did, but there is never a loving option for it to click on for your Education. I either have to put High School and look like a loser (yeah yeah I know I am anyways lol) or put College amd have to explain it somehow afterwards.

FWIW Pissboy, Some people make it pretty drat far in life without a degree. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I know this pain.

Also, you seem to be making all the right moves, and that's great. Keep doing that thing.

• Locked thread