Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

PostNouveau posted:

The actress who play her, Gwendoline Christie, plays a fan favorite character on Game of Thrones.

Christie herself is awesome too, so we all thought she would be able to kick some rear end but alas. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

My fav theory so far is that shes a female clone of Palpatine. At least it'd explain why she gets the typical imperial English accent ratherr than the normal skywalker American.

Uhhhhhh that's not how accents work.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I said come in! posted:

Right, but the lightsaber Rey takes is blue, so how was that lightsaber acquired? Someone found that lightsaber at Bespin city and held onto it and tucked it away only for Rey to get ahold of it.

you're asking the same question han solo asks neo yoda and she tells him something like "that's a story for another time wink"

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

I said come in! posted:

Right, but the lightsaber Rey takes is blue, so how was that lightsaber acquired? Someone found that lightsaber at Bespin city and held onto it and tucked it away only for Rey to get ahold of it.

Perhaps the least subtle part of the movie was Maz dodging that question when she showed it to Han and Finn

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

oddium posted:

you're asking the same question han solo asks neo yoda and she tells him something like "that's a story for another time wink"

Ooh right, I forgot about that moment. I badly need to see the movie again.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

cargohills posted:

Ian McDiarmid is Scottish and Daisy Ridley is English. That'd be like Anakin having a Texan accent in the prequels or something. (Also being a clone would be really stupid)

Also Palpatine is a man and Rey is a woman, another logical hurdle

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

D'oh. I'll turn in my nerd card. Still, how did they get it back/what happened to Luke's new one?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

no idea and i assume he still has it.

He threw it away at the end of Jedi. It was kind of a big moment. Rey holding the lightsaber outstretched to Luke was a moment of offering him a chance to take up the mantle again, but it's also a moment of danger. If you pay attention to the movies, Star Wars is actually not a big fan of lightsabers. They are weapons; they represent the willingness to use violence, and characters are usually better off without them. The particular sword Rey is offering him has a dark history.

I expect the next movie will pick up on this just as Jedi and the prequel movies did.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Mahoning posted:

Uhhhhhh that's not how accents work.

In star wars it is

turgon
Aug 18, 2003

I think I'm lost
also Lukes green saber has an awesome distinct sound I can't wait to hear that thing fire up again.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Frackie Robinson posted:

Also Palpatine is a man and Rey is a woman, another logical hurdle

Honestly I was just annoyed with him equating two entirely different accents

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Arglebargle III posted:

He threw it away at the end of Jedi. It was kind of a big moment. Rey holding the lightsaber outstretched to Luke was a moment of offering him a chance to take up the mantle again, but it's also a moment of danger. If you pay attention to the movies, Star Wars is actually not a big fan of lightsabers. They are weapons; they represent the willingness to use violence, and characters are usually better off without them. The particular sword Rey is offering him has a dark history.

I expect the next movie will pick up on this just as Jedi and the prequel movies did.

Yeah but the fanboys want laser sword fights so that is what they are gonna get.

I would be shocked if Luke doesn't use one in these new films.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Im guessing Von Sydow's identity has something to do with Rey's family. Or that mystery will go the way of Sifodyas.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

turgon posted:

also Lukes green saber has an awesome distinct sound I can't wait to hear that thing fire up again.

speaking of sounds, the scene where poe and finn are escaping was great just because tie fighters make the best sounds in star wars. those engines + that blaster whine

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

oddium posted:

speaking of sounds, the scene where poe and finn are escaping was great just because tie fighters make the best sounds in star wars. those engines + that blaster whine

The tie fighter sounds are definitely asmr triggers for me

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Mahoning posted:

I'm not sure what else JJ could have done to help people understand how severely injured Kylo Ren was in that final battle. Let me count the ways:

1) There's basically an hour of buildup about how Chewie's bowcaster is boss as gently caress. It literally is so powerful that it it hits Stormtroopers and throws them backwards several feet. This is the weapon that struck Ren right after Han's death.

2) There's a super obvious panning to Ren's feet where we see blood in the snow.

3) At one point when fighting Finn, he sort of walks around for a second in the same way you'd "walk it off" if you twisted your ankle or stubbed your toe.

Short of Kylo Ren saying "Oh no, my powers are diminished to 50% due to my gaping side wound" I'm not sure how obvious it could be.

Despite ALL THAT, he whoops Finn's rear end, nearly killing him and has Rey on the run until she literally has nowhere else to run. Rey only dominates the last minute of the fight, after Kylo Ren tips his hand, telling Rey flat out that it's the Force that she's using and probably also allowing her to feel his fear and uncertainty.

By the end of the fight, he's been hit 4 times by a lightsaber and once by a bowcaster.

What a bitch! Immersion ruined. Bring back Hayden Christensen.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want a car that sounds like sebulbas pod

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

McDowell posted:

Im guessing Von Sydow's identity has something to do with Rey's family. Or that mystery will go the way of Sifodyas.

i assume he was some dude Luke trusted. i assume he may have worked at the academy.

turgon
Aug 18, 2003

I think I'm lost

iSheep posted:

Yeah but the fanboys want laser sword fights so that is what they are gonna get.

I would be shocked if Luke doesn't use one in these new films.

Oh come on, who doesn't want to see Luke fight one last time? I thought they treated the sabres pretty good in this movie, it wasn't over the top at all.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Frackie Robinson posted:

I would be stunned if she was a Skywalker, it's such an easy guess that I have to think they would have disclosed it in the first movie, because if they're going to wait another two or four years before they reveal it, it's going to be a total wet fart.

I agree. The idea of the trilogy being about the Skywalker family doesn't mean that it necessarily needs to be about a biological family. He could be a father-figure rather than a literal father. Adopting Rey into his family despite a lack of blood ties, which would be a stronger plot than the predictable one everybody is speculating.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

What a bitch! Immersion ruined. Bring back Hayden Christensen.

Not bringing Christensen back to do the mocap and voice for Snoke is a drat whiff.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i assume he was some dude Luke trusted. i assume he may have worked at the academy.

He knew Kylo was Ben Solo, so that's something.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

iSheep posted:

The fanboys don't want laser sword fights, they want elaborately choreographed dance performances that involve laser swords.

Why yes, my friends didn't like Rey trying to poke Kylo Ren with the lightsaber.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Frackie Robinson posted:

When is Lumpy going to make an appearance?

This reminds me. Before the movie, the draft house showed a clip of what if Chewbacca sounded like Pee Wee Herman. They showed one scene of the holiday special with Wookies sounding like Pee Wee and it was hilarious.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, it had problems, but anyone saying this is a bad film or its worse than the prequels is just plain ignorant. You couldnt even tell that Carrie Fischer is crazy. Does Rogue Squadron feature Poe? He needs his own poo poo and just be a small role in the main trilogy.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not bringing Christensen back to do the mocap and voice for Snoke is a drat whiff.

Dude could probably use the work. Not sure he's got enough range for mo-cap though.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Just saw the movie a second time. I'm 99% sure now the opening scene shows the star destroyer silhouetted against the back of Starkiller base, with Jakku in the background.

Also, regarding 3PO's arm, he has a line of dialogue that I missed the first time around right as he exits his first appearance, something along the lines of "I really have to get my regular arm reinstalled." Whatever importance that bit of foreshadowing portends seems to be wholly insignificant in the grand scheme of things insofar as this movie is concerned. Is that a McGuffin or a red herring?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ButtWolf posted:

Man, it had problems, but anyone saying this is a bad film or its worse than the prequels is just plain ignorant. You couldnt even tell that Carrie Fischer is crazy. Does Rogue Squadron feature Poe? He needs his own poo poo and just be a small role in the main trilogy.

Rogue One is about the theft of the plans to the first Death Star.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
The people complaining about the music need to give it another shot, because it's beautifully written and orchestrated. Here's a convenient playlist so that you can focus on the music itself.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

He threw it away at the end of Jedi. It was kind of a big moment.

I doubt he literally decided to literally abandon his weapon; it was more of a "dude, no, I'm not killing you" thing.

One of the worst fanon things about Star Wars was inventing some "Jedis eventually don't use lightsabers" nonsense, and its a Good Thing Lucas stepped in and said "No, thats bullshit."

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He also said 'she'll always be royalty to me.' I figured he was a friend of the Organa family from wayyyyyy back. Maybe his character shows up in Rogue One?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I want the only time Luke uses a lightsaber to be when he shaves off his beard with it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Handen posted:

Just saw the movie a second time. I'm 99% sure now the opening scene shows the star destroyer silhouetted against the back of Starkiller base, with Jakku in the background.

Also, regarding 3PO's arm, he has a line of dialogue that I missed the first time around right as he exits his first appearance, something along the lines of "I really have to get my regular arm reinstalled." Whatever importance that bit of foreshadowing portends seems to be wholly insignificant in the grand scheme of things insofar as this movie is concerned. Is that a McGuffin or a red herring?

He was just bantering back and forth with BB-8.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I give it a solid c-, a lot of the acting, writing, etc was laughable for me and the first half just wasn't that great imo. I was also exhausted when I realized they were just going to do the New Hope but not as good. Do we really have to go through the same poo poo again? Can't we do a story in the universe involving these characters that doesn't have to be them blowing up an even bigger Death Star with an even bigger weakspot
It has all of the weakness of Lucas' referential for the pandering sake of it prequels, but since it wasn't shot by a complete incompetent it's just decently executed.
It's just like, what's going on here? The Republic post-rebellion allowed a gigantic army to form and make an even bigger Death Star...and they're fighting this existential threat with like...a proxy force for some reason now because they can't do it in the open??? And the First Order is finally like, deciding to remove the farce and attack the Republic directly??? Why are they even fighting a proxy war???

On the other hand I feel like the second half redeemed it in terms of quality, I really liked Adam Driver and most of what happened in the second half even if a lot of it was "The New Hope except not as good!!!". I think my favorite scene was Adam Driver trying to mind hack Ray or whatever and describing an island and so on, he did a pretty great job with the second half
Man was the ending cool on paper but laughable in execution for me. Wow how exotic and sci-fi, we're on some Irish islands now, all that bad face acting and the spin at the end while they stared at each other and stayed posed :lol: stick to voice acting Mark, it's enough to impress manchildren obsessed with the Joker
I don't mean to be so much of a hater though. It was entertaining, fun, and I liked most of the characters. Maybe I'll give it a C and keep the minus.

Props to the fat guy from Heroes finding work tho

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 20, 2015

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Rogue One is about the theft of the plans to the first Death Star.

Oh cool.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

turgon posted:

Oh come on, who doesn't want to see Luke fight one last time? I thought they treated the sabres pretty good in this movie, it wasn't over the top at all.

I hope we get Luke demolishing the Knights of Ren as sort of a comeuppance for what happened to his Jedis.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
8's gonna start with Luke's saber falling from Bespin and trace it to Rey, like the beginning of Two Towers.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

cargohills posted:

Honestly I was just annoyed with him equating two entirely different accents

Ian McDiarmid sounds extremely English to me as an American. He certainly does not sound like any American concept of Scottish accents. I'm sure people from Texas and people from Alabama sound pretty much the same to a British person too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Props to the fat guy from Heroes finding work tho
Being best friends with JJ Abrams helps a lot.

Zenro7
Dec 19, 2015

by Cowcaster
Would you guys want to see/Is there room for Thrawn in this trilogy? I don't know the rules for borrowing ideas from the EU universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

BillBear posted:

Christie herself is awesome too, so we all thought she would be able to kick some rear end but alas. :(

I think the movie's extremely similar to ANH in the villain's arc as well. Phasma, Hux and Ren all get their asses kicked right at the end, and have every reason to want to prove themselves again by gaining the upper hand in the next movie. There'll be a land battle, and the First Order will wreck everyone, and Poe and FInn will barely escape.

• Locked thread