Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

shalafi4 posted:

:f5: must send orders faster :f5::f5::f5:

Rats, you've revealed my secret plan to trick you all into missing orders so I can shoot up stationary targets!

Foiled again! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

PoptartsNinja posted:

Rats, you've revealed my secret plan to trick you all into missing orders so I can shoot up stationary targets!

Obviously this is another example of PTN cunningly deceiving the players by telling them to do the exact opposite of what will help them. It might seem like players should carefully think about how to send in their orders and not bombard the GM, but in fact that will show weakness and hesitation to the Capellans.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

shalafi4 posted:

I'm gonna submit orders for Opfor mechs and see if he notices

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Psion posted:

The jokes on him, I'm just gonna submit alt orders for the entire team to spin in place and dance while shooting a laser rave in the sky and see who forgets to make the deadline!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The joke is on all of you, I'm submitting orders for the inbound Cappellan Warships. :colbert:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PoptartsNinja posted:

:airquote: Electrical faults :airquote:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm submitting orders, but not to PTN. I just write them on post-it notes in the lab and stick them around my monitor so it looks like I'm working.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The Mission Goal isn't "kill the Capellans,"

It should be. All missions should be. Even the ones where you play as Capellans. ESPECIALLY those.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

No, but only the pillager can reach it, and only if he jumps behind you. at which point, SHOOT HIM WITH YOUR WEAPONS since he will only ahve a +1 move mod on a jump cause he only moved 2 hexes.

That's encouraging! I'm (hopefully) wrong due to my inexperience, but I'm pretty sure that unless I found a way to get to 1611 without changing my facing that I wouldn't be able to turn around and hit him in that scenario. Thinking of turning to face hex 1512 to keep my back covered.

Perhaps more importantly, how would I format that contingency order?

...I can't believe I'm already forgetting how to even do basic orders. :negative:

TheParadigm posted:

The jokes on him, I'm just gonna submit alt orders for the entire team to spin in place and dance while shooting a laser rave in the sky and see who forgets to make the deadline!
We can call it... the Rave of Shame. :pcgaming:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Carbolic posted:

Obviously this is another example of PTN cunningly deceiving the players by telling them to do the exact opposite of what will help them. It might seem like players should carefully think about how to send in their orders and not bombard the GM, but in fact that will show weakness and hesitation to the Capellans.

I get the impression PTN does do some in-battle scenario modding if one team (or the other) seems to be doing too well. Not enough to save anyone from his dice, mind you, but I suspect the downed mechs would have woken up again even if the players didn't shoot them if it looked like they were stomping all over the opposition.

Kind of like Schroedinger's Mechs.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

shalafi4 posted:

And more often!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

TheParadigm posted:

A reprisal of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9sBcmb_Qlk

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Psion posted:

Do it!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Soup Inspector posted:

That's encouraging! I'm (hopefully) wrong due to my inexperience, but I'm pretty sure that unless I found a way to get to 1611 without changing my facing that I wouldn't be able to turn around and hit him in that scenario. Thinking of turning to face hex 1512 to keep my back covered.

I haven't looked at your mech or your position on the map, but generally: a battlemech can shoot directly behind himself using either rear-mounted weapons, or by torso-twisting and then using one arm in the direction that he twisted. So if you have no rear-mounted weapons, you can choose an arm and shoot with that arms' weapons only.

Oh, and if you have flippy arms, then you can shoot behind you with both arm's weapons.

Of course you still need line of sight, etc.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Are the mechs with 360 degree torso twist canon? I know the Thanatos had 360 degree twist in MW4. Wouldn't apply in the current situation, just curious if that was a thing or not in tabletop.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

Are the mechs with 360 degree torso twist canon? I know the Thanatos had 360 degree twist in MW4. Wouldn't apply in the current situation, just curious if that was a thing or not in tabletop.

Torso twist is the same whether you're in a Black Hawk or a Thanatos.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

I haven't looked at your mech or your position on the map, but generally: a battlemech can shoot directly behind himself using either rear-mounted weapons, or by torso-twisting and then using one arm in the direction that he twisted. So if you have no rear-mounted weapons, you can choose an arm and shoot with that arms' weapons only.

Oh, and if you have flippy arms, then you can shoot behind you with both arm's weapons.

Of course you still need line of sight, etc.

Right, thanks. I suppose my main concern was "Does choosing a facing preclude torso twisting?". I'm pretty sure it does, but I wanted to get advice before I made assumptions.

I'm also not 100% confident in the choice of 1612 after it was pointed out to me that Golden Boy has already moved and since the Pillager is both an ace and has JJs it could bypass my Guillotine with trivial ease. But I can't really think of any other spots to go to.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Orders are in. From hell's heart I stab at thee, Golden Boy!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Defiance Industries posted:

Torso twist is the same whether you're in a Black Hawk or a Thanatos.

Ah, well. I can't really blame them for that. That said, some of the more interesting non-competitive matches I played in MW4 were Thanatos always-spin matches. you could walk around anywhere you wanted, bring whatever loadout, but you had to constantly be spinning your torso. It was mildly disorienting, and LBXs were popular. It helped that the Thanatos was as wide as a small planet, so you didn't have to be particularly precise.

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012
Wolverine II

Submitted the following order

Movement:
I jump to 1413 facing 1412.

Firing:
Everything at the pillager!

Contingencies:
If the pillager moves out of LOS, do I have LOS on the white shadowhawk? If yes, fire everything!

If I don't have LOS on the pillager or white shadowhawk, if another enemy moves into LOS (Due to ACE), fire everything!

If an enemy moves into melee range, kick them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Soup Inspector posted:

Right, thanks. I suppose my main concern was "Does choosing a facing preclude torso twisting?". I'm pretty sure it does, but I wanted to get advice before I made assumptions.

I uh, I don't know what you mean by that exactly. When you move, you face your mech towards one hex side. Then, during firing, you can twist your torso to the left or right, which rotates your firing arcs that direction. Your torso (and leg and head) mounted weapons all shoot within the arc defined by which direction your twisted torso is facing. Your right arm can shoot one more hexface over to the right, while your left arm can shoot one more hexface over to your left.

So, it's possible by combining a twist and an arm, to shoot directly behind you.

In terms of shooting at you, everything is based on your facing - you don't present a different part of your mech as a target just because you twisted during your own firing.

So if you tell PTN you want to move to a hex and "face" a specific other hex, that does not preclude you from torso-twisting to get a shot. PTN will automatically torso-twist for you if you declare a target that you can only hit by twisting.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Your leg-mounted weapons don't twist with your torso.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Yes, sort-of. Mechs with a turret (none canon) can rotate that turret 360 degrees, and tripods have 360 degree rotation.

If you're playing with Strat Ops quirks some `Mechs have an expanded torso twist and can turn one hexside further, but I almost never use the canon positive quirks.

Without spoilers, the new Star Wars movie is pretty alright. It only had a couple JJ Abrams-isms (far less than I was expecting) that annoyed me.

Soup Inspector posted:

I'm also not 100% confident in the choice of 1612 after it was pointed out to me that Golden Boy has already moved and since the Pillager is both an ace and has JJs it could bypass my Guillotine with trivial ease. But I can't really think of any other spots to go to.

There is a place where you and the Grand Titan can move that would 100% necessitate me either dealing with you first or lingering to finish off the Rampage to stop it from shooting me in the back.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 19, 2015

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

So if you tell PTN you want to move to a hex and "face" a specific other hex, that does not preclude you from torso-twisting to get a shot. PTN will automatically torso-twist for you if you declare a target that you can only hit by twisting.

This is the gist of what I was wondering, thanks very much!

PoptartsNinja posted:

There is a place where you and the Grand Titan can move that would 100% necessitate me either dealing with you first or lingering to finish off the Rampage to stop it from shooting me in the back.

Well, here's hoping I chose right! :ohdear: My orders have been sent.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Soup Inspector posted:

This is the gist of what I was wondering, thanks very much!

I will also flat out ignore orders to Torso Twist if you can do what you want without it. This is an old holdover from RL games with a friend of mine, who always gives torso twist orders immediately after moving a unit so he won't forget later. Don't twist until you need to! :argh:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

But how else will I roleplay legendary Mechwarrior Chubby Checker? :ohdear:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

It looks like I'm going to go 1514 and face 1413, with orders to shoot anyone who shows their face around the corner.

I also considered 1710...but that's kind of the opposite direction I want to be going at this stage.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I've slightly updated my orders to prioritize the Pillager if it enters my field of view. Good thing I took a break from Xenoblade Chronicles X in order to check the thread.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
Does someone have the incoming fire arc chart handy?

I'm trying to position myself so incoming hits favor my right side. I *roughly* remember what it is but curious if someone had it lying around handy :D

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

shalafi4 posted:

Does someone have the incoming fire arc chart handy?

I'm trying to position myself so incoming hits favor my right side. I *roughly* remember what it is but curious if someone had it lying around handy :D

The 3 front sides are the front arc, the other arcs each have one of the remaining sides.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Removed because clearly I haven't been paying close enough attention for the past several years. Sorry.

Carbolic fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 20, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Carbolic posted:

Note that PTN uses house rules for the incoming fire arc.

I've been using the standard arcs for over three years. Every time someone asks I let them know I use the standard arcs. Please stop telling people I use houseruled arcs, those were only used for the first 2-3 missions to keep things simple while I got a feel for how much of the game I could easily manage.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

How many years have I been following this thread? :psyduck:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Chronojam posted:

How many years have I been following this thread? :psyduck:

The LP began on Jan 21, 2011. So next month will mark the 5 year anniversary. :toot:

You began following back in March of 2011; it should be noted the thread was only on the second scenario and already up to page 121 at that point.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Would this be the oldest active thread on the forums?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Naww, not even close. Off the top of my head there's a Play By Post thread that has been active since the middle of 2007.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think mid 2007 was when the 1000 post limit for threads was lifted. There's several threads from then lingering around, like the Berserk thread in ADTRW that just happened to start the issue they got on the boat.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've been using the standard arcs for over three years. Every time someone asks I let them know I use the standard arcs. Please stop telling people I use houseruled arcs, those were only used for the first 2-3 missions to keep things simple while I got a feel for how much of the game I could easily manage.

Well poo poo. Evidently I found the houserule much more memorable than not using the houserule. Sorry.

For shalafi4, here is the correct diagram:

The target 'Mech (blue F) is facing northeast.

A is shooting into the rear
B, C, D are shooting into the right side
E is "defender's choice" front or right side, although I am not remembering exactly how this has been handled in the thread
F and G are shooting into the front

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Carbolic posted:

Well poo poo. Evidently I found the houserule much more memorable than not using the houserule. Sorry.

For shalafi4, here is the correct diagram:

The target 'Mech (blue F) is facing northeast.

A is shooting into the rear
B, C, D are shooting into the right side
E is "defender's choice" front or right side, although I am not remembering exactly how this has been handled in the thread
F and G are shooting into the front

Orders are in. Hopefully I'm not playing hopscotch with the blue shadow hawk in a turn or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Carbolic posted:

E depends on which way the attacker is facing.

• Locked thread