Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

Has anyone seen Lil Quinquin? It sounds interesting but 3.5 hours is a pretty big commitment for an absurdist murder mystery cop drama comedy.

Also: World of Tomorrow left me kind of flat after how breathless reviews have been and how much I liked It's Such A Beautiful Day. I kept expecting a turn that never really came.

i honestly just don't get the appeal of Don Hertzfeldt at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

I just really want to know how the John Waters cameo came about. Whose idea was it? Because a reference would be weird enough, but he's actually in the movie. Someone ponied up the cash to have John Waters appear. Who? Why?

They thought it was lame and they were right

I bet some people involved with the film wanted to meet John Waters - primarily.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

that's dope as gently caress. put up a kickstarter and I'll back it if I get a copy of the shirt.

yeah same unironically

wyoming posted:

it's not even subtle and yet you still get it wrong.

you of all people don't get to say this right now

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i honestly just don't get the appeal of Don Hertzfeldt at all

I went into Day pretty skeptical and the first half-hour or so didn't do much for me — it plays like a more polished, downer version of Rejected, which I liked well enough in high school but grew out of. It really finds itself in the back half, though, it ended up being one of the most thoughtful, beautiful movies I saw that year.

World of Tomorrow is funny enough, it just didn't ever click beyond that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So this is a movie that apparently exists and I'm not sure how to feel about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efLSVfS0LqI

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

axleblaze posted:

I just saw that up on Amazon, the poster is something:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

I felt more awesome about it before the trailer gave away the premise. If it's good, that won't matter.

Edit: I love Henry Rollins though, I'm defs gonna watch this.

edit2: does anyone know if it's streaming anywhere? I'll do digital rental...

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 19, 2015

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
So, how do you guys feel about Viper's 5 part Short Movie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4pGsSeKm78

Personally, I'm really into the door creaking in part 3 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEv5eyem_KI it's at a minute in )

and Part 4 gets really uncomfortable imo, but it's a cool peek "behind the scenes"
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6dEVTRiBeQ )

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The gently caress did I just spend 47 seconds watching?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The part with the money (Starting 4:20ish in Part 3 is very good as well [emotionally powerful] )

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

morestuff posted:

Has anyone seen Lil Quinquin? It sounds interesting but 3.5 hours is a pretty big commitment for an absurdist murder mystery cop drama comedy.
I have not seen it but just pretend it's one of those prestige TV miniseries because it is.

I've only seen two films by Bruno Dumont: Outside Satan, which follows the trend of slow arthouse cinema while still being weirdly unconventional; and Camille Claudel 1915, which is slow but much more conventional and Binoche gets to strut her stuff next to a bunch of real asylum patients.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

axleblaze posted:

(everything about it)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

controversial opinion: I think Predator becomes a great movie when the Predator shows up. Before, it's just okay.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

controversial opinion: I think Predator becomes a great movie when the Predator shows up. Before, it's just okay.

I don't think that's unfair. McTiernan is going for an Alien-esque slow burn, but the jungle environment doesn't have the environmental richness and flat-out weirdness of the Nostromo setting. It doesn't take that long for the Predator to show up (what, the 30-minute mark, at most?), but there's definitely a "hurry up and wait" sense to the beginning of the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And I love that with monster movies, but it's that battle scene that I just am not a fan of. I like some little parts, (I ain't got time to bleed! Stick around! the truck) but it just doesn't do a thing for me outside of those moments. It's weird because every other monster movie works for me because it's slow, except for Predator. Because once the Predator shows up, it's still a low burn, but the interesting things begin to happen. I much prefer the pacing post battle scene.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean that battle scene does nothing for me either, but it firmly establishes that the main guys are huge badasses who can easily kill loads of people.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It has a place. But I dunno. Once that scene is done the movie is perfect.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

what the gently caress is it with people on the internet and redlettermedia

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The guy doing the star wars intro at the theater I'm in called it Star Wars Awakening.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Redlettermedia is good and my favorite internet thing. They're funny, and don't take film reviewing super serious. Watching their reviews is like hanging out with your buddies after a movie. Everyone is polite with each other, and makes each other laugh and it's a good time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Redlettermedia is good and my favorite internet thing. They're funny, and don't take film reviewing super serious. Watching their reviews is like hanging out with your buddies after a movie.

please don't speak so ill of my buddies

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

The guy doing the star wars intro at the theater I'm in called it Star Wars Awakening.

Same difference.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MacheteZombie posted:

Intro? What?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's just Angry Video Game Nerd but skews somewhat older.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They're really not that angry or shouty though. Unless you're only talking about the plinkett reviews. Like, 90% of their reviews are chill.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's just Angry Video Game Nerd but skews somewhat older.

older, really? i feel like AVGN is old-school internet nerd poo poo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hat Thoughts posted:

I bet some people involved with the film wanted to meet John Waters - primarily.

well, hell, good for them then. i'd like to meet the dude.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

older, really? i feel like AVGN is old-school internet nerd poo poo.

From what I had seen, his audience was really young, like 10-25. The internet nostalgia stuff weirdly skews pretty young.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I took my nephews (age 5 & 6) to see Star Wars this morning. Two minutes before it started I told them I accidentally bought tickets for Alvin and the Chipmunks and we had to watch that movie instead. The sheer look of terror on their faces was worth the price of admission.

This is hilarious.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i like best of the worst, because it's basically some dudes who have monetized dickstream but without streaming. the rest of their stuff not so much.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I keep missing out on Phoenix's' dope cinematography because it's so hard to not just focus on whatever Nina Hoss's eyes are doing in a given shot. poo poo's frustrating and/or amazing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Holy poo poo, Shane MacGowan doesn't look like an undead ghoul anymore.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CelticPredator posted:

Redlettermedia is good and my favorite internet thing. They're funny, and don't take film reviewing super serious. Watching their reviews is like hanging out with your buddies after a movie. Everyone is polite with each other, and makes each other laugh and it's a good time.
Yeah they are pretty cool on their forums too (though Jay seems like the only one who posts there) probably too cool with the posters they have there

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The best internet critic dude is Kyle Kalgreen. The best internet guy making videos about movies is Tony Zhou.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

AVGN is pretty bad but the stuff where he is just talking about old horror movies is pretty good because and feels like it's actually coming from James Rolfe and not "The Angry Nintendo Nerd" character.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Yeah, I was surprised to find I enjoyed his out of character stuff. Dude loves horror films.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Does anyone other than me still play the first Dawn of War game (+ expansions)? I'm on a big RTS kick lately and I'm just totally in love with the simple, pared-down system and the hard counters and large squads.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Predator (and The Thing) would be better without the opening scene spaceship flying toward earth.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

Predator (and The Thing) would be better without the opening scene spaceship flying toward earth.

Well then people would just think it was a Cambodian not an alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The Revenant just leaked onto the internet.

• Locked thread