Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Zodack posted:

Stop dude, some of your posts are good and you have okay opinions about TFA but you need to realize you are on the internet

That doesn't make it okay.

Well Manicured Man posted:

I mean, it might be, but punching your wounds out of frustration/spite seems like a pretty Kylo thing to do.

Yeah; that struck me as Psyching himself up and being crazy; not a force power directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukAvTZbnN94

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Have none of you ever punched a muscle cramp or similar thing to try and make it go away? Sometimes after a long run I would whack on my hip flexors to try and get them to loosen up. I assumed it was meant as that sort of thing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

Silly things like a murderous short temper and superhuman powers aren't scary, because the character in question has oily skin and is young which means that MisterBibs could beat him up because he's older. Therefore it's not a good villain.

If I was too old he'd be a threat to me. The only people he defeats are computer consoles and really old men. At most I'm risking a glancing lightsaber blow from a weapon that regularly dismembers or kills on contact.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Linguica posted:

Have none of you ever punched a muscle cramp or similar thing to try and make it go away? Sometimes after a long run I would whack on my hip flexors to try and get them to loosen up. I assumed it was meant as that sort of thing.
Oh, I thought he was punching like, a bloody wound though, not a muscle cramp. I had difficulty keeping track of some wounds in 3D. Oh well. It's so Kylo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Oh, I thought he was punching like, a bloody wound though, not a muscle cramp. I had difficulty keeping track of some wounds in 3D. Oh well. It's so Kylo.

Yeah; he was hitting the spot Chewie shot him.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just realized a neat contrast between Rey and Finn. Finn was forcibly abducted as a small child and Rey was abandoned.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

jivjov posted:

That doesn't make it okay.
He's basically saying "save your strength Chewie. There will be another time". As in even if you're offended you're not changing minds on the internet "calling people out", you're inciting copycat behavior by virtue of letting on that it bugs you.

Speaking of which I guess that "other time" Han was speaking of was shooting Kylo when Han dies. It sure saved Rey and Finn's rear end later on. Man I can't wait to see this movie another couple times to notice the "guy walking down ladder in background" touches JJ adds. The subtlest callbacks are the most worthwhile.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Linguica posted:

Yeah it's a combo of this and like when football players are whacking themselves on the helmet pregame to hype up.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just realized a neat contrast between Rey and Finn. Finn was forcibly abducted as a small child and Rey was abandoned.
I don't think that's supposed to be a contrast as much as a parallel.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Detective No. 27 posted:

And poor Ben Solo was dumped by his parents to live with his creepy uncle.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Absent fathers are kind of a thing in Star Wars.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I had to search down this interview based on those images, and I'm not sure if I should be ashamed that I knew it was on Ellen because of the set layout... but here it is for anyone who wants to watch this. Boyega does a hilarious impression of Daisy Ridley, lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuAwgmz7jTc

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Ren's immaturity may in some way be the movie's tribute to the prequels- in the end this is still a universe where the bad guys are mostly petulant children with abandonment issues. Lucas probably approved of that.

It's interesting that they talk about him "finishing his training" near the end, which means he'll also be developing his powers while Rey develops hers.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also it's kinda disappointing that after however long this is supposed to be they haven't really come up with any new ship designs beyond "slightly different X-Wings" and "slightly different Tie Fighters".

I missed variety too. Especially when they went on a real bombing run and forgot to bring iconic fighters like Y-wings, B-wings and so on. Everything can be explained away, but just TIEs vs X-wings was a bit too tidy for me. I did however like the love they gave the TIE during the first escape, you could feel it boosting away, almost making it ...until they crash

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wild Horses posted:

I missed variety too. Especially when they went on a real bombing run and forgot to bring iconic fighters like Y-wings, B-wings and so on. Everything can be explained away, but just TIEs vs X-wings was a bit too tidy for me. I did however like the love they gave the TIE during the first escape, you could feel it boosting away, almost making it ...until they crash

The only real way I can explain it is that the Resistance only has X-Wings, and maybe other fighters, including dedicated bombers, were part of the fleet that got blown up at Hosnian Prime

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

teagone posted:

I had to search down this interview based on those images, and I'm not sure if I should be ashamed that I knew it was on Ellen because of the set layout... but here it is for anyone who wants to watch this. Boyega does a hilarious impression of Daisy Ridley, lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuAwgmz7jTc

:laffo: John Boyega is great.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

well why not posted:

It's really weird that 'Force Powers' are categorised so heavily. Force abilities are so, so nebulous in the films, but outside of that it's all Force Push this, Force Pull That, Mind Trick this, Magic Missile That.

That's weird if it's in books, but not game systems since they have to be categorized like that to work.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Has anyone seen the movie in a legit 70mm IMAX theater? Someone on r/movies posted an image of the Branson IMAX theater in Missouri that is screening a 70mm print and jesus gently caress the screen is absolutely gigantic. Look at this poo poo:

gently caress, I want to see The Force Awakens on that IMAX screen so bad. Apparently it's roughly 6 stores high, and 80 feet wide lol.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't think that's supposed to be a contrast as much as a parallel.

Parallel was the word I wanted to say but couldn't remember.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jewel Repetition posted:

That's weird if it's in books, but not game systems since they have to be categorized like that to work.

Lots of early work on the Star Wars EU was done by West End games for their pen-and-paper RPG, and the writers just worked from that.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

teagone posted:

Has anyone seen the movie in a legit 70mm IMAX theater? Someone on r/movies posted an image of the Branson IMAX theater in Missouri that is screening a 70mm print and jesus gently caress the screen is absolutely gigantic. Look at this poo poo:

gently caress, I want to see The Force Awakens on that IMAX screen so bad. Apparently it's roughly 6 stores high, and 80 feet wide lol.

I watched it at the legit IMAX at the Indiana State Museum last night. And it's BEAUTIFUL to watch on it. It so weird how close the film is to you when watching it like that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

teagone posted:

Normal 70mm IMAX screens aren't that big.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

teagone posted:

A few of my friends saw it at the IMAX here, and I'm going back in the new year when you can get a seat that isn't in a loving poo poo location.

Also the IMAX screen here is 30x36m (97x118 feet) :getin:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

The movie should have ended 15 seconds earlier. That 360* shot was stupid. It should have cut to credits with Luke removing his hood with the camera on his face.

Alternatively, Like could have force pulled his light saber and turned it on. That would have been an epic badass moment to go out on.

Yeah, thinking back that final shot might have been my least favorite part of the movie. I mean, it may not have aged well if they had just smash cut to black when Luke took his hood off because it's such a 2010s thing to do. Maybe a tasteful fade after a reaction shot?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

teagone posted:

Yeah, I saw it at a theater like this in New Rochelle, and we actually got the best seats. It was pretty amazing. I also saw Interstellar there and I'm planning to see Hateful Eight there as well.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

When Poe and Finn find out one other is alive after their TIE fighter crash, that was the bro-est loving moment and I loved every second of it. "That's my jacket" Finn starts to take it off "No, no keep it. It suits you." loving :allears: If I had one complaint about TFA, it's that I wanted to see way, way more of Poe and Finn together.

my dream open for Episode 8 is: Finn & Poe on a daring adventure, quipping & being bros & doing something that shows the first order is still a threat but the resistance is not sitting on their laurels. Poe can also console Finn on Rey leaving him behind. And BB-8 will be rolling around like a ball droid.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Star Wars VII turned out to be pretty good, though I have to wonder if anyone will actually care about it as a movie in five years, and not just for how it sets up the rest of the sequels.

Rirse posted:

I watched it at the legit IMAX at the Indiana State Museum last night. And it's BEAUTIFUL to watch on it. It so weird how close the film is to you when watching it like that.

I saw Interstellar there last year. It's pretty cool- though I when I first went to see it I didn't own a car and had to walk about a mile and a half to get there in the cold at night, only to find out they were sold out of tickets.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I didn't enjoy The Force Awakens, for various reasons. However, there are some intriguing seeds planted in this movie.

I think Snoke is going to end up as the Dark Side's Yoda. We're going to see a lot of Kylo Ren's training in the next movie, and I would really like that.

I really want to see a retrofitted Millennium Falcon.

I want Rey to be unrelated to The Star Wars Main Lineage. It's time to stop treating the Skywalker line like divinity.

My personal Ben Solo theory is that not living up to the power of Annakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker is what drove him to the dark side.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rirse posted:

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, I saw it at a theater like this in New Rochelle, and we actually got the best seats. It was pretty amazing. I also saw Interstellar there and I'm planning to see Hateful Eight there as well.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A few of my friends saw it at the IMAX here, and I'm going back in the new year when you can get a seat that isn't in a loving poo poo location.

Also the IMAX screen here is 30x36m (97x118 feet) :getin:

I'm jealous. Illinois blows.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jewel Repetition posted:

Yeah, thinking back that final shot might have been my least favorite part of the movie. I mean, it may not have aged well if they had just smash cut to black when Luke took his hood off because it's such a 2010s thing to do. Maybe a tasteful fade after a reaction shot?

Star Wars never does a fade to black to credits. Its always the circular iris wipe.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
IMAX mall of GA was incredible but it is digital not 70mm.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Raxivace posted:

Star Wars VII turned out to be pretty good, though I have to wonder if anyone will actually care about it as a movie in five years, and not just for how it sets up the rest of the sequels.

Considering how positive the reception of this movie has been in only 3 days since its release, I'm pretty sure this is going to be the movie that will be remembered as the one that brought Star Wars back into the limelight in spectacular fashion, erasing any residual stigma leftover from the prequels.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

gohmak posted:

IMAX mall of GA was incredible but it is digital not 70mm.
Yeah, I think Inception was digital but Interstellar was 70mm.

I'm a bit surprised Hateful Eight 70mm is playing at Atlantic Station since, last I knew, they only have a digital IMAX screen.

edit: Oh, it's 2.76 70mm, not 15/70. gently caress that noise.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 20, 2015

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Jerkface posted:

my dream open for Episode 8 is: Finn & Poe on a daring adventure, quipping & being bros & doing something that shows the first order is still a threat but the resistance is not sitting on their laurels. Poe can also console Finn on Rey leaving him behind. And BB-8 will be rolling around like a ball droid.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's exactly how Ep 8 starts. 'Big Deal' has started earning his title, fighting next to Poe.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Well poo poo, apparently Ewan McGregor recorded a line of dialogue that plays during Rey's flash(Force)back. He yells "Rey!" I heard Yoda, but it never occurred to me that Ewan had a bit there too. gently caress. Source is Obi-Wan's voice actor https://twitter.com/JATactor/status/678299784621350912

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Similarly I feel like we're missing out on just what went wrong after Endor. Obviously there were still going to be people loyal to the Empire, but what enabled them, who's this Snoke guy, where are they getting all this cool star-destroying stuff?

The prequels are about what went wrong. But in a more plot-centric sense, Rey's vision of the past is ripe to have some context added, especially if Obi-Wan Kenobi has voiceover in it. The broader political context seems like it can be figured out easily enough by filling in the blanks from real-world history. The war continued.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 20, 2015

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

jivjov posted:

Star Wars never does a fade to black to credits. Its always the circular iris wipe.

Well, there you go. And that reminds me, it was strangely comforting that Abrams kept the stupid wipes in.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jewel Repetition posted:

Well, there you go. And that reminds me, it was strangely comforting that Abrams kept the stupid wipes in.

I love those stupid wipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jewel Repetition posted:

It wouldn't have been a Star Wars movie without them. George went a bit overboard with them in the prequels though. I even think RotS has a checkboard screen wipe transition. Like, drat, that's a bit much George.

• Locked thread