Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Hillary Clinton
Bernie Sanders
Martin O'Malley
Donald Trump
View Results

• Locked thread
Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Gonna write in FDR's corpse for my vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Ace of Baes posted:

Trump is going to get the P or VP slot for the Republican Party because of his ability to "fire up the base" voters will turn out in droves against him because hes the equivalent to 08s Sarah Palin, Hillary will pick MOM or some no name as VP and win by a single digit margin, politics will continue as usual with a republican controlled congress and nothing meaningful getting done.

The fact that you don't think a VP slot is beneath Trump's standards illustrates how politically naive you are!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Ace of Baes posted:

Trump is going to get the P or VP slot for the Republican Party because of his ability to "fire up the base" voters will turn out in droves against him because hes the equivalent to 08s Sarah Palin, Hillary will pick MOM or some no name as VP and win by a single digit margin, politics will continue as usual with a republican controlled congress and nothing meaningful getting done.

It's really going to come down to the GOP primaries and whether or not the Trumpettes will actually turn out and put their vote where their mouth is

And no way Hillary's picking MOM, the man would be nothing but a liability

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Don't swap horses in midstream, all year every year you trashbags

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Immortan posted:

Poll numbers say otherwise, honey.

too cute

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is Bernie....doing okay?

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Combed Thunderclap posted:

It's really going to come down to the GOP primaries and whether or not the Trumpettes will actually turn out and put their vote where their mouth is

granted I'm not following the speculative hillary vp as much as others, but it's theoretically gonna be castro, yeah?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

I'm pretty sure most of Trump's supporters aren't old enough to vote.

Edit: And the ones that can probably can't lift themselves from their mobility scooters.

Tardcore has issued a correction as of 05:37 on Dec 20, 2015

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

im guessing tim kaine will be the democratic vp nominee just throwin it out there

i'm not sure but i think the democratic governor of virginia, loving terry god drat mcauliffe, would appoint his replacement. the appointee would have a tougher time keeping the seat than a true incumbent, but good vp candidates are kind of by definition people who you're taking a downgrade on if you pluck them out of the current office. maybe a democrat from a bluer state will be chosen instead

castro was mayor of a city with a strong city manager system and a cabinet member, that's his whole resume. i guess the substance doesn't really matter but he really is weak on everything except ethnicity and i guess he gave a good speech a dnc or two ago

edit: mark warner could be another candidate. i know i'm just guessing white guys from virginia but hell maybe it'll work out for me and i'll win the $0 prize

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 05:37 on Dec 20, 2015

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Grouchio posted:

Is Bernie....doing okay?

homie is cold lampin

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Grouchio posted:

Is Bernie....doing okay?

he's got 1.3 mill in donations since the opening of the NGPVAN scandal, he'd be doing great but for the trash moderation in this debate

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Immortan posted:

Trump is the dark thing McCain summoned with his final wish on the monkey's paw back in 08.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

stephenfry posted:

he's got 1.3 mill in donations since the opening of the NGPVAN scandal, he'd be doing great but for the trash moderation in this debate
Wait so...he isn't doomed?

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

GrizzlyCow posted:

It's the same thing with the Star Wars quote. It's not a loving conspiracy or advertising; it was standard fare Hillary pandering to laypeople.

Real world example of how well this works out... Hillary wasn't ok with gay marriage until it POLLED high enough.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Matey posted:

granted I'm not following the speculative hillary vp as much as others, but it's theoretically gonna be castro, yeah?

That's the current consensus, but the VP slot is also your big chance to wow people and get them fired up without any real chance of a downside unless you really screw up, so it could be anyone (who isn't a white guy, in this case).

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Wait so...he isn't doomed?

He's got enough money and a big enough base that he's in this for quite some time unless he really tanks the primaries hard.

Which is possible, given how Hillary's got a lock on things.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Spiky Ooze posted:

Real world example of how well this works out... Hillary wasn't ok with gay marriage until it POLLED high enough.

Are you trying to tell me that as the public changed their minds on an issue, hilary clinton changed her mind on an issue?
f*cked up if true

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Immortan posted:

the same polls that had bernie, and I believe also hillary, beating trump in a head to head matchup?

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

He's got enough money and a big enough base that he's in this for quite some time unless he really tanks the primaries hard.

Which is possible, given how Hillary's got a lock on things.

yeah if hill actually builds a lead in NH with next week's polls, I would call Bernie "doomed"

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Hillary Clinton owned the everloving poo poo out of that debate

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Concerned Citizen posted:

lol if you say so

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH HILLARY

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Spiky Ooze posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0XuKORufGk

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Concerned Citizen posted:

I think her best play was perceiving it as the trainwreck it was first and just talking straight through the moderators whenever she felt like it. That was owning a debate all right.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Immortan posted:

The fact that you don't think a VP slot is beneath Trump's standards illustrates how politically naive you are!

I think Trump probably initially started running for exposure/publicity and didnt expect to blow up like he did, and now that hes a serious contender hell take a VP slot for the sake of getting put in history books, he know he wont win as an independent and hes insanely rich, in my experience dudes like that are all about creating a "legacy".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ace of Baes posted:

I think Trump probably initially started running for exposure/publicity and didnt expect to blow up like he did, and now that hes a serious contender hell take a VP slot for the sake of getting put in history books, he know he wont win as an independent and hes insanely rich, in my experience dudes like that are all about creating a "legacy".

He doesn't know anything. He's a clinical narcissist who has gotten a good taste of the narcissistic supply the election cycle can give and he'll never let go until he dies.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Spiky Ooze posted:

You're doing the dumb thing.

I was referring to this type of poo poo. I'm not talking about policy; I'm talking about Hilary Clinton being out of touch on pop culture poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spiky Ooze posted:

I know that actual facts and all don't matter but Obama changed his stance a whopping four times between 'yes gay marriage' and 'no gay marriage' whereas Clinton, while being personally opposed, also opposed laws banning it including that whole famous quote of her saying 'I believe marriage is between a man and a woman' actually coming from a speech OPPOSING a constitutional ban on gay marriage where she was saying 'look dudes I'm not sure where I stand on gay marriage but it's hosed up to legally bar them like this' and, despite polls being for gay marriage many of her changes to the state department that were pro LGBT weren't exactly high polling issues.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

GrizzlyCow posted:

You're doing the dumb thing.

I was referring to this type of poo poo. I'm not talking about policy; I'm talking about Hilary Clinton being out of touch on pop culture poo poo.

if the girl specifically asks about beyonce, i can't really blame hillary for giving that kind of response

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Matey posted:

lol if you say so

Hillary owned the everloving poo poo out of that debate

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
To me it felt like the moderators were going easy on Hilary. Put her in the middle, the dominant position, let her answer first, let her respond a lot more instead of trying to interrupt her. Big media shilling their peeps.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Buglord

stephenfry posted:

I think her best play was perceiving it as the trainwreck it was first and just talking straight through the moderators whenever she felt like it. That was owning a debate all right.

:agreed:

I realized Bernie's heartfelt emotional yelling does really great for speeches, but it backfires in debate. Hillary was rather casual about the entire thing and Bernie's emotions made him look reactionary the entire time. She ran the show.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the polling leader is going to end up in the middle, trump isn't anybodys peep and they put him in the center of that debate iirc

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Avocados posted:

:agreed:

I realized Bernie's heartfelt emotional yelling does really great for speeches, but it backfires in debate. Hillary was rather casual about the entire thing and Bernie's emotions made him look reactionary the entire time. She ran the show.

Every time Bernie Panders calls for a "revolution" in one of these debates they should do a wide shot on the audience to see the amount of :ughh:'s going on

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

a controlling share of Walmart for most of the 1980s.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Reason posted:

To me it felt like the moderators were going easy on Hilary. Put her in the middle, the dominant position, let her answer first, let her respond a lot more instead of trying to interrupt her. Big media shilling their peeps.

You traditionally put the leader in the middle and ask them questions first

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Amused to Death posted:

Hillary owned the everloving poo poo out of that debate

lol if you say so

Reason posted:

It felt that way to me too. Though the moderators sucked hard, whether they really were giving Clinton preferable treatment or not.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
You can't be of sound mind of you don't think Hillary owned that debate.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
bernie spin machine in high gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The moderators were just bad but that's who they had to go with because they'd have taken too much poo poo if they used Stephanopolous, seeing as he sorta got his start working for the Clintons.

• Locked thread