Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Devor posted:

And it doesn't help that the generators I'm seeing all have caveats about blowing up.

Stop using buildcraft, and it would also help if you told us the modpack so we can look at the mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Devor posted:

Oh, I'm running FTB. I have a few RF things set up, I'll see about shoving some of those next to an energy acceptor.

For the RF dealies, is there a good progression to use to transition up from shoving stacks of Scaffolding?

There's more than one FTB modpack. Do you mean FTB Infinity?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

McFrugal posted:

There's more than one FTB modpack. Do you mean FTB Infinity?

Let's see... yes. FTB Infinity.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Devor posted:

Let's see... yes. FTB Infinity.

Looking in the mod list, I can see Thermal expansion is in there, you can use thermal expansion dynamos to replace buildcraft engines. Most importantly however is that Thermal Expansion dynamos don't loving explode.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

I know ME^4 starts you in The End, maybe you can go looking at how that modpack did that?
As far as I can tell, they're using Lockdown too. I'm thinking that using RFTools to create the initial dimension is a no-go. I now have enough code written to crap out a grassland dimension at ID=2, so I'm going to see if that can stick in Lockdown. If so, I'll just work towards writing my own void dimension creator and start off of that.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
While Buildcraft has a config option for engines exploding, the default (for the mod and Infinity) is that they don't.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

Mr. Peepers posted:

In Etho's modded series, he used one of the computer mods, AE2, and a PneumaticCraft machine that allows remote inventory manipulation to set up a system where he can retrieve, craft, and store items anywhere in his world through chat commands. He goes over a bit of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQawzDGM4sk

Cool. I want to make one where a drone brings you the items instead of them just poofing into your inventory...

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014
Hey Rocko, great job on the Nether for BFSR. My daughters were both crying after their first foray there and said that it scared them (all the explosions as they enter, the land disappearing around them, the portal being blown out). :) I got a great laugh, perhaps I'm a bad father, but thank you.

Next time we play I'll see if they're willing to head back. I was able to rescue them and bring them home with no deaths; I had to fill in the Nether portal from the Nether side as the explosions had only half put out the portal, so it wouldn't let it be lit while it also no longer worked.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Kids going :aaa: is half the fun. There needs to be a spectre of doom somewhere to keep things interesting.

I had originally set that up on accident, but loved the chaos when I playtested. I was hoping in the original teambuilding exercise for which I started the pack that one of the actual Minecraft players would hop in there, but nobody took the bait. I am assuming they figured The Nether was a faraway thing and wrote it off. Unfortunately, I didn't quite pull off everything I wanted. I was dabbling in creating dungeons in The Nether to make spawners for wither skeletons and blazes with chests. The CofH generation overrides supports it, but at the rate I was trying to make them generate, it would cause runaway generation and crash the game. I might still do it after I figure out how to generate a void world for starting my tutorial dimension, but I really should release quest book fixes first.

Speaking of all that, I will update the pack sometime this weekend with just quest book fixes. I would have done it already, but my cold turned into a sinus infection, and I blew a good part of Saturday afternoon getting looked at and then running a wild goose chase for my prescription.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
not sure why a minecraft player wouldn't immediately go to the nether, potions are like one of the few interesting mechanics the normal game has and the game is unplayable without night vision

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Acne Rain posted:

not sure why a minecraft player wouldn't immediately go to the nether, potions are like one of the few interesting mechanics the normal game has and the game is unplayable without night vision

turn the brightness all the way up

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
With the brightness cranked up all the way I barely need torches at all when I'm caving. It leads to fun situation where I run into mobs backtracking because of the vast swathes of darkness that I can't see :v:

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Glowstone freeing you from the tyranny of torches is the great gold riches of the Nether

or I guess sea lanterns

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Blind Duke posted:

Glowstone freeing you from the tyranny of torches is the great gold riches of the Nether

or I guess sea lanterns

Or mods with other light sources.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Pretty much all the mods with light sources use glowstone in the recipe, as it's a glowing stone

but besides the point that the Nether is just void of stuff besides glowstone and I dunno ghast tears or something?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i'm playing garden of glass and i'm trying for the kekimurus achievement where you make a fully automated cake production engine with only one crafty crate allowed

and gently caress it is hard

i did learn something useful though -- if you use a wand of the forest on a crafty crate, it will attempt to craft whatever is currently in the crate instead of merely ejecting it

this made putting the sugar cane into it and turning it into sugar really easy (dispensers work to activate a thing that gets activated by the wand of the forest)

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I very rarely go to the nether.

I have never seen the point of it. You need to be pretty well geared and dying there means 0 chance of getting your stuff back.

I think its another reason why i like blightfall so much, Just dig under the western map for your nether stuff.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I never play without keepinventory on because gently caress item loss

I like potions a whole lot, you can't have them without a nether fort delve for blaze rods and netherwart.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'd be really interested in a mod with a middle ground between keepinventory on and off

Like "keep all your valuable poo poo" but you lose like your ores and junk from that run. Maybe you can pick ~10 items to keep and drop the rest?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Magres posted:

I'd be really interested in a mod with a middle ground between keepinventory on and off

Like "keep all your valuable poo poo" but you lose like your ores and junk from that run. Maybe you can pick ~10 items to keep and drop the rest?

if going that route, i can imagine a mod that highlights the first 10 or so inventory slots and keeps anything in those. the rest gets dumped. maybe if in an adventure pack there could be ways to upgrade that amount.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Magres posted:

Gravestones are in a bunch of mods now and it's pretty much an in between.

You die, they drop, they never vanish, everyone is happy because no items disappear or fall into lava.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Cant anyone help with me getting my friend to join my game hosted on my pc?

I have opened ports 25565 (also 50052)

I start a single player game.

Open LAN.

They then try a direct connect with my ip?

Or am i doing this completely wrong? Doi have to get some sort fo server software on my system? and ...?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Magres posted:

yeah it's a real "someone who knows java do this" mod
like i don't like the command because what i really want is to keep all my poo poo but lose all my xp
xp is... well it's a little different in tech mods but in hexxit or vanilla it's an interesting mechanic with a lot of risk/reward (and repeating battles is not the same as the tedium of repeating gathering and crafting)

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Khorne posted:

Gravestones are in a bunch of mods now and it's pretty much an in between.

You die, they drop, they never vanish, everyone is happy because no items disappear or fall into lava.

This doesn't work for falling into the void, or dying in particularly heinous spawn rooms (looking at you, Roguelike Dungeons [but I still love you]). I used to be all about them, but they're a mild inconvenience in the best cases and an awful nuisance in the worst. Better than vanilla, sure, but hardly ideal.

I think punishing through inventory destruction is the wrong way to go about it, personally. Maybe having to buy your items back with levels? HQM's limited lives with keepinventory on are a great compromise in the absence of other mods, since you're penalized (how harsh depends on the modpack I guess) but not sandbagged.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah I like limited lives with keepinventory on, particularly the way Blightfall did it where you can freely work to gain more lives.

For "keep valuable stuff" I had in mind something along the lines of keeping armor and 2-3 other items, cause a lot of mods make armor go from "helps you not die" to keeping you safe, giving you enhanced mobility, protection from environmental hazards, flight, etc and even if your stuff is safe in a gravestone, having it forcibly taken off of you might as well mean it's lost forever because you need to make a fresh set of just about everything to get back to your gravestone.

Vib Rib posted:

Subnautica has an interesting take on it. You lose all the stuff you picked up since you last "checked in" at home base, but everything on you when you come home is considered saved. So anything you had when you last left home is not lost, but you'll drop any new ores or whatever you've picked up during that last run.
It's a pretty good way of doing it and lets you put a sort of "saved" stamp on items without needing to physically drop them off and leave them.

Yeah that's some good poo poo, I was waffling between some kind of savepoint idea and a set of specifically protected items.

Magres fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 20, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Magres posted:

Subnautica has an interesting take on it. You lose all the stuff you picked up since you last "checked in" at home base, but everything on you when you come home is considered saved. So anything you had when you last left home is not lost, but you'll drop any new ores or whatever you've picked up during that last run.
It's a pretty good way of doing it and lets you put a sort of "saved" stamp on items without needing to physically drop them off and leave them.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
God drat, it is torture trying to figure out how to generate a void dimension correctly. I cobbled together something from tutorials, and it leaves little bugs around. You can only start one new game per run of Minecraft because Minecraft gets angry about there already being a dimension registered at the magic number. So none of these tutorials go into how you're supposed to clean up afterwards. I don't even know if what I did works with Lockdown yet.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Can someone recommend me a modpack? I like Tekkit Legends a lot, but I'm looking for more to build.

I haven't worked with Minecraft modding or I'd probably just be trying to wedge Tinker's Construct/Mystcraft/Thaumcraft into Tekkit Legends as it is.

I don't want to end up with something that runs as godawfully as Feed the Beast: Infinity does, even after JourneyMap is disabled.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Magres posted:

Everything equipped and on your hotbar remains, everything else drops.

Alternatively (or paired with!), I would love a "deal with Death" mechanic where you can exchange xp, valuables or experience infused items (books!) to get your equipment back from your gravestone, Or you can challenge death and risk loosing everything properly this time if you loose! Configs can decide how much stuff you loose, from Light (what i said above) to Medium (You keep what's in your hand and on your back) to Hard (All of it drops into your tombstone!)

You could make it cute as well, It could be fisticuffs or he could throw a riddle, in-world lore question or math problem at you. :getin:

Doctor Goat posted:

Can someone recommend me a modpack? I like Tekkit Legends a lot, but I'm looking for more to build.

I haven't worked with Minecraft modding or I'd probably just be trying to wedge Tinker's Construct/Mystcraft/Thaumcraft into Tekkit Legends as it is.

I don't want to end up with something that runs as godawfully as Feed the Beast: Infinity does, even after JourneyMap is disabled.

You could take Baby's First Space Race, jam it into a MultiMC instance, then throw in the mods you want! It will take some twisting to get working tho.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 20, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

Cant anyone help with me getting my friend to join my game hosted on my pc?

I have opened ports 25565 (also 50052)

I start a single player game.

Open LAN.

They then try a direct connect with my ip?

Or am i doing this completely wrong? Doi have to get some sort fo server software on my system? and ...?

are they in the house with you? or on the internet?

If it is the latter then you have a lot more work to do.

On the internet you have an internal and external internet address, You need to tell your friend to connect to the internet address https://whatsmyip.net
Then on your router (usually on address 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1) you need to activate a thing called port forwarding and tell it to forward port 25565 to your local ip address (also 192.168.1.x) you can find it by opening a cmd box and typing ipconfig - you are looking for the top IPv4 address (coincidentally the Default Gateway address is usually the address of the router.)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

Literally all you have to do is download the mod files and put them in the mod folders. But it could degrade performance quite a bit, especially with mystcraft.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

are they in the house with you? or on the internet?

If it is the latter then you have a lot more work to do.

On the internet you have an internal and external internet address, You need to tell your friend to connect to the internet address https://whatsmyip.net
Then on your router (usually on address 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1) you need to activate a thing called port forwarding and tell it to forward port 25565 to your local ip address (also 192.168.1.x) you can find it by opening a cmd box and typing ipconfig - you are looking for the top IPv4 address (coincidentally the Default Gateway address is usually the address of the router.)

No, i ended up getting the blightfall server pack, got it to work for a few minutes before my entore machine shut down....

It refused to load after that, problem with microblocks.

reinstalled the server, i think ive got it working now. I can at least login to my own server, friend had to go to bed before she could try ><

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

No, i ended up getting the blightfall server pack, got it to work for a few minutes before my entore machine shut down....

It refused to load after that, problem with microblocks.

reinstalled the server, i think ive got it working now. I can at least login to my own server, friend had to go to bed before she could try ><

That could be a problem with IDs, loading order, or DRM. You can make a pastebin of the list of mods and error messages and we can try to help.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Taffer posted:

Literally all you have to do is download the mod files and put them in the mod folders. But it could degrade performance quite a bit, especially with mystcraft.

This is what I've done so far.

Mystcraft's alternate ages just seem like such an incredibly fun concept, and that much seems to be worth it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Goat posted:

Mystcraft's alternate ages just seem like such an incredibly fun concept, and that much seems to be worth it.

Redtools has something exactly like alternate ages, but not poo poo.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

Use RFtools instead. The mechanics are different, but the result is very similar - custom worlds you can create at will, and it performs a lot better. It has a method of teleportation as well

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Turtlicious posted:

Redtools has something exactly like alternate ages, but not poo poo.

RFTools.

Heh, we just did a lap on all this some pages ago because I was trying to use MystCraft and RFTools both to set up a tutorial dimension. To summarize: MystCraft will do this "MystCraft is baking a cake" thing when you start a new world that can potentially put your computer on its rear end. As a server owner, it encourages wonton dimension creation and can put the server on its rear end. RFTools does not do the cake baking thing, but it mitigates some of the problems by putting an initial power cost on top of making dimensions. Really, somebody with a super-huge reactor can run off whatever they want, but those people tend to be more responsible anyways <crosses fingers>.

In practice, dimension creating is indeed novel at first, but they don't really offer much else extra to the base game. These are not necessarily wildly-different worlds. That being said, running RFTools with Minechem leads to a nice perk of creating oceans of liquid cocaine.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That being said, running RFTools with Minechem leads to a nice perk of creating oceans of liquid cocaine.

why is rftools not in every single modpack :catdrugs:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

President Ark posted:

why is rftools not in every single modpack :catdrugs:

I was going to use it in BFSR particularly to make my tutorial dimension, but it doesn't seem to work with Lockdown. I'm unsure yet if the alternative I am doodling works with it either, so this might not be a problem with RFTools in particular. I figured I'd include it for teleportation and some advanced RF shenanigans. That being said, RFTools would be pretty dumb to put in, say, Hexxit. I think Lite packs generally would discourage alternate dimensions too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Hi guys, I just want to confirm that installing Java is pretty much the only way to get any mods in the game even though from what I have read, the Minecraft launcher from Mojang no longer needs Java installed on the OS?

I am picking up the game again after several years and just want to get some nicer graphics via Optifine and maybe try out those fancy shader mods.