Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tasty food
Apr 29, 2010
Does anyone who got a commodore pledge want to sell some fleets when it ships? I'm interested in the scourge and shaltari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I would have loved to get just the UCM and PHR, and couldn't justify the Commodore tier if I was also getting the display models. So I just went with the starter box pledge. I figure I'll buy the PHR bolt-on ship and wait to get the PHR starter when it goes to the shops at 10% off.

I was in the same boat, I wanted UCM and PHR, but Commodore was a tad high so I went Captain, I figure having a couple decent sized fleets would be good for beer and pretzels with my buddies and I like to support smaller companies.

Though I would have loved to have done the Captain reward tier, but had PHR replace Scourge :(

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In other news, I am bitterly regretting not buying enough 4Ground buildings to do a table while they were 30% off at Darksphere last weekend. By far the prettiest DZC terrain I've seen. Even at 30% off they were still eye-wateringly expensive though.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 5, 2015

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I've just come back from Dragonmeet in London, where Hawk had ships from all factions on their display stand.

It isn't immediately apparent, but PHR cruisers are physically much bigger and bulkier than the equivalents from other factions. They look "large and in charge" - the Ajax's main hull is the length of a UCM cruiser even before you add on the manoeuvring fins.

The overbite is also a bit less pronounced in person.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Have they said where / when the Beta Test Days are happening? Is that an actual physical thing that I can crash?

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

I've just come back from Dragonmeet in London, where Hawk had ships from all factions on their display stand.

It isn't immediately apparent, but PHR cruisers are physically much bigger and bulkier than the equivalents from other factions. They look "large and in charge" - the Ajax's main hull is the length of a UCM cruiser even before you add on the manoeuvring fins.

The overbite is also a bit less pronounced in person.

Bad phone pics;

Note that the PHR cruiser here is considerably bulkier than the Shaltari heavy cruiser next to it.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
After eyeing DZC since Gen Con and going in on the Drop Fleet kickstarter I have decided to start this game as well. I just ordered some PHR from miniature market. I want to get some Scourge as well to see if I can get things going at my FLGS. I will pick up the starter box at some point but want to just get painting things now. Is ebay the best place to look for people dumping scourge armies or do y see them popping up more in other places?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

LazyAngel posted:

Bad phone pics;

Note that the PHR cruiser here is considerably bulkier than the Shaltari heavy cruiser next to it.

More pics, please.

I've decided to paint my Scourge cyan with purple and red edges, in honor of dead (50%) bad game series Sword of the Stars and its rear end in a top hat space dolphins. Who makes a good cyan paint?

Also, does anyone ever use the Slayer and Tormenter? They seem a bit expensive and hard to fit in.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

LordAba posted:

Have they said where / when the Beta Test Days are happening? Is that an actual physical thing that I can crash?

I think they will be contacting the admiral backers directly about that. They have already said that they will not be public open days as they want to get real testing done rather than fill a room with people for a random chat. Besides, people paid a big chunk of cash to get on that guest list and I doubt they would appreciate random people just wandering in.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LazyAngel posted:

Bad phone pics;

Looks like I picked the right faction. :getin:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I feel loving retarded for this but I can't seem to actually put the pegs into my flight stands, they seem too big.

These Falcons are really neat though. :shobon:

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

I feel loving retarded for this but I can't seem to actually put the pegs into my flight stands, they seem too big.

There's a slight flare to the end of the pegs which causes this. Lightly scrape it and test fit them until they slot in just right. Removing to much will result in a fit that is too loose.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I had a couple like this, I ended up putting a drill bit into the hole and using it like a file to widen the hole a bit.

The silver lining is that you often don't need to glue the flight stand as the buggers are never coming out!

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Can I get some words about resistance commanders? My understanding of the rules is very poor so don't be afraid to treat me like a dummy.

Also, technicals. I love the drill, are rocket technicals the right choice for flooding out beside my opponent?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So I'm assembling my scourge. I'm having a little difficulty with the Invaders.

1. The wing racks seem to require a fair amount of fiddling to go in, and I don't want to get glue on my fingertips. Can I put them in, then glue around them?

EDIT: Fixed problem 2.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 11, 2015

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Shouldn't be a problem at all. Just put a drop of superglue on a piece of plastic or whatever else you have handy and use a thin wire to transfer tiny bits. It should have a low enough viscosity to run into the gap and under the tiny rack thing. If there's any doubt, be a bit more generous on the underside where you won't be able to see it later.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Crossposting from the Oath thread;

LazyAngel posted:

:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

Slightly painful time of it this month, but managed to get a decent standard out, and without dipping below a no. 1 brush too! No Jurnal, as I'm sticking with the existing scheme I'm using for my PHR.

Thankfully, I've only got four more bases to do, and then I'll have painted pretty much all the PHR infantry I'll ever need.

I have to say, the quality difference between the sirens and the Valks/Longreach is really noticeable. Just standard Immortals to go for my PHR now, although I chucked the plastic ones from my starter boxes and replaced them with metal ones - the plastic sculpts are really horrible.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

MCPeePants posted:

Can I get some words about resistance commanders? My understanding of the rules is very poor so don't be afraid to treat me like a dummy.

Also, technicals. I love the drill, are rocket technicals the right choice for flooding out beside my opponent?

The Thunderstorm Custom is practically an auto include for Resistance as far as I've seen. The plasma cannons can one-shot a Nemesis, I know because it happened to me in the only game I have played against Resistance! The Alexander is far less popular, I'm not sure that is because the unit is underwhelming or it is simply overshadowed by the Thunderhawk's obvious excellence.

Rocket technicals are I think the mainstay anti-tank choice to overwhelm the enemy and can be used as a Warlords Retinue upgrade on the Thunderstorm.

LazyAngel posted:

Crossposting from the Oath thread;

I have to say, the quality difference between the sirens and the Valks/Longreach is really noticeable. Just standard Immortals to go for my PHR now, although I chucked the plastic ones from my starter boxes and replaced them with metal ones - the plastic sculpts are really horrible.

Nice job! And yeah, the new infantry are definitely a step up in quality. I'm not sure but I think I heard that Hawk's arty guy Patrice did the 3d modelling on these rather than Dave himself. Patrice was certainly involved in the design and Dave is on record saying that he doesn't like designing little people so much but whatever they changed up it is paying off.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Ugleb posted:

The Thunderstorm Custom is practically an auto include for Resistance as far as I've seen. The plasma cannons can one-shot a Nemesis, I know because it happened to me in the only game I have played against Resistance! The Alexander is far less popular, I'm not sure that is because the unit is underwhelming or it is simply overshadowed by the Thunderhawk's obvious excellence.

Rocket technicals are I think the mainstay anti-tank choice to overwhelm the enemy and can be used as a Warlords Retinue upgrade on the Thunderstorm

The Alexander is just slow and lacks volume of fire. The Thunderstorm is amazing.

Rocket technicals are ok, but i wouldnt rely on them for AT. I find most of my AT coming from the Thunderstorm, Cyclones, Freeriders, and not much else.

The new Resistance scout bikes are bonkers. Roll 3 shots per base, hit on 2+, 36" range. Each hit make the Acc of targe unit go up by one for all weapons.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So right now I'm working on my first list, for Scourge. I really want to fit in an Annihilator, but it seems pretty tough to fit.

Any suggestions?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Be mindful that the Warlord's Retinue Technicals have E+3 CM, so are actually different to standard technicals

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

wdarkk posted:

So right now I'm working on my first list, for Scourge. I really want to fit in an Annihilator, but it seems pretty tough to fit.

Any suggestions?

I ran this list at Warfare, it's a little light on AA, but I won three, drew one and lost one, so its a viable list.

pre:
Medusa Protocol
Clash: 1491/1500 points
Standard Army
	Standard Roster [1491/1500 pts]
		Oppressors [450 pts]
			Oppressor: Oppressor, Harbinger(Master, +Mini Arc Caster) [300 pts]
			Annihilator: Annihilator [150 pts]
		Vanguard [351 pts]
			Hunter Squad: 3x Hunter, Marauder [146 pts]
			Ravagers: 3x Ravager, Harbinger(+Mini Arc Caster) [205 pts]
		Warriors [204 pts]
			Warrior Horde: 2x Warriors, Intruder Alpha [94 pts]
			Screamers: Screamer, Raider [110 pts]
		Warriors [94 pts]
		Occupation Patrol [196 pts]
			Minders: 4x Minder, Intruder Beta [56 pts]
			Destroyers: 2x Destroyers, Intruder Alpha [140 pts]

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

I ran this list at Warfare, it's a little light on AA, but I won three, drew one and lost one, so its a viable list.

pre:
Medusa Protocol
Clash: 1491/1500 points
Standard Army
	Standard Roster [1491/1500 pts]
		Oppressors [450 pts]
			Oppressor: Oppressor, Harbinger(Master, +Mini Arc Caster) [300 pts]
			Annihilator: Annihilator [150 pts]
		Vanguard [351 pts]
			Hunter Squad: 3x Hunter, Marauder [146 pts]
			Ravagers: 3x Ravager, Harbinger(+Mini Arc Caster) [205 pts]
		Warriors [204 pts]
			Screamers: Screamer, Raider [110 pts]
		Warriors [94 pts]

Huh, that looks good. I wish I could include my AA skimmers, since they're possibly the best models in the plastic kit, but having spares for other stuff (or if I ever do a 2500 point game) is nice.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

muggins posted:

The Alexander is just slow and lacks volume of fire. The Thunderstorm is amazing.

Rocket technicals are ok, but i wouldnt rely on them for AT. I find most of my AT coming from the Thunderstorm, Cyclones, Freeriders, and not much else.

The new Resistance scout bikes are bonkers. Roll 3 shots per base, hit on 2+, 36" range. Each hit make the Acc of targe unit go up by one for all weapons.

Cyclones and Freeriders will be among the first units that I pick up for my resistance force! Freeriders are a must have and Cyclones are terrifying.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
UK dates for the Admiral's level playtesting are in March, I'm told!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Also Invasion is on January 30th/31st, not sure if that has been mentioned here yet.

Fingers crossed for more spaceship reveals!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Huh, that looks good. I wish I could include my AA skimmers, since they're possibly the best models in the plastic kit, but having spares for other stuff (or if I ever do a 2500 point game) is nice.

You could swap the ravagers for reapers, you'd lose volume of fire for accuracy, and the loss of the harbinger also drops your shots. That said, they are cheaper, so you could sneak in some vampires.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

You could swap the ravagers for reapers, you'd lose volume of fire for accuracy, and the loss of the harbinger also drops your shots. That said, they are cheaper, so you could sneak in some vampires.

I was thinking that, except adding a Reaver rather than Vampires, since my "meta" is a bit tank-heavy.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Just played my first game of Dropzone. It was really fun and we'll both be buying in and playing more. Hopefully recruiting a few others.

We ran the starter scenario with the starter armies, so no cards or command units.

I played the Scourge. I misplayed my AA and lost them early, realizing later that they should probably stay in cover and interdict flight lines while using their wide coherency. My opponent made a mistake of leaving some infantry in the open, which the (quite effective) Hunters ripped up. The main objective became bogged down in brutal CQB while I made for the eastern objective building. I was close to winning on objective points, but failed to find the objective after four rounds of searching. My opponent won on kill points.

The mobility is great, it felt like fliers were moving all over and the three relative scales of fliers, tanks, troopers was visible. I lost initiative every turn (!), but didn't feel like it cost me too much because of the activation process. I also felt continually engaged. Only one time did the initiative roll rob me of an excellent shot on an enemy condor loaded with two APCs.

The skimmer rule made my army feel fast and agile and the tanks were quite hard to hit. I did lose my tanks because of initiative (no skimmer bonus because they hadn't moved yet), but this was inevitable.

Fun, fun. I'm not sure whether to build up some Scourge or not. I liked them quite a bit, but I already own some PHR that I haven't tried out yet.

Excited!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

It is rather good, isn't it?

Definitely give your PHR a go, you will find them far slower but their range feels enormous compared to Scourge! Really think about how you deploy, their lack of mobility makes it much harder to shift positions. Some of the newer releases mitigate this but it is still part of their character.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Hey guys, recently just got into Dropzone with Shaltari though so far I've been borrowing my friend's PHR as our little game group learns our way through the rules. Quick question, is there anything against sticking my minis on bases? I like messing around theming them and some of my dudes (the Warstriders especially) would look great clambering over some rubble or something.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Strictly speaking you can do that, but it may impact you negatively with things like line of sight or templates. Most stuff is measured to the centre of the model though and arguably basing doesn't change that.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just started slapping my UCM Starter together and these plastics are a dream. Just got my Condors and some Ravens I picked up left to do now. :) I think my next purchases are probably going to be a Kodiak and maybe an Eagle? One of my buddies really recommended me grabbing the Gladius' too.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, the Kodiak is definitely the first UCM tool you want after the starter. You may want something that can scout next - Wolverines are good and the Ferrus is almost an auto-include in UCM lists, but the Ferrus model is a bit more expensive. Gladiuses look excellent, and I really need to get some myself. Eagles are pretty swell, and the model is great plus easy to assemble. After that, you'll want a little more infantry (either a second starter or a pack of praetorians are good), probably some Ravens for the infantry, andsee hat you want after that.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Ugleb posted:

Strictly speaking you can do that, but it may impact you negatively with things like line of sight or templates. Most stuff is measured to the centre of the model though and arguably basing doesn't change that.

Sweet, more excuses to help myself to some more Warstriders. Speaking of, I'm currently running the Coyote and the starter box force and want to expand, what kinda purchases should I be looking into? Kinda wanna go with some Jaguars but the Ocelot's giant over-compensation gun is right up my alley.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, the Kodiak is definitely the first UCM tool you want after the starter. You may want something that can scout next - Wolverines are good and the Ferrus is almost an auto-include in UCM lists, but the Ferrus model is a bit more expensive. Gladiuses look excellent, and I really need to get some myself. Eagles are pretty swell, and the model is great plus easy to assemble. After that, you'll want a little more infantry (either a second starter or a pack of praetorians are good), probably some Ravens for the infantry, andsee hat you want after that.
Forgot to mention I owned Wolverines, I ended up building them as 2 of each type but they are cool. Praetorians are the spec ops right? I'll definitely pick up a Kodiak tomorrow and start getting this stuff painted, maybe an Eagle too.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, Praetorians are the spec ops. They are a nice CQB boost for the UCM's otherwise terrible infantry. (I've got, but not tried the new Mortars, Flack and Hazard teams yet, so they may swing things.)

You'll want four Ravens in the end - the bear/condor combo is a bit slow, and you want to be racing forwards, so 99% of people use the light troop dropships rather than the APC/Medium dropship.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

SteelMentor posted:

Sweet, more excuses to help myself to some more Warstriders. Speaking of, I'm currently running the Coyote and the starter box force and want to expand, what kinda purchases should I be looking into? Kinda wanna go with some Jaguars but the Ocelot's giant over-compensation gun is right up my alley.

I've played a whole 2 games against Shaltari so I'm no expert. Those are both well regarded units I think, the Caiman has been nerfed a couple of times points wise lately but is still decent in my opinion. You just won't be using that many at once.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I once played a game where I took four Caimans and two Ocelots.

It was glorious.

I'm also That Guy who almost never uses his gates and doesn't take much infantry and just shoots everything. It's surprisingly effective most of the time!

Hell, I play Shaltari more like PHR.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, Praetorians are the spec ops. They are a nice CQB boost for the UCM's otherwise terrible infantry. (I've got, but not tried the new Mortars, Flack and Hazard teams yet, so they may swing things.)

Do people still use the Praetorians with the light flyers to drop them into buildings, or do people tend to see that coming and stop it hard?