Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

I would be surprised if this trilogy directly references the prequels in any way.

It already did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think this movie was a pretty solid starting point for a new trilogy. It was a bit overly familiar at times but that was kinda to be expected with them bringing the films back after a decade plus three bad ones. The way this movie ends leaves a lot of interesting ways they could move forward with the story and I'll only start whining if the sequels are overly familiar as well. Kylo Ren surprised me a bit because the movie pretty much acknowledged he was a wannabe Vader and an immature gently caress-up who hasn't finished his training yet and throws temper tantrums every time something goes a bit wrong. Instead of him just being another scary guy in the mask I like that we're gonna see the villain grow and develop into a more credible threat. Also I had *that scene* casually spoiled for me like a dozen times and just thought people were loving around, I was surprised when it actually happened.

...Has anybody made a joke about Punished "Venom" C-3PO yet?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Wandle Cax posted:

I would be surprised if this trilogy directly references the prequels in any way.

Uh, you mean besides besides the heroes using Anakin's lightsaber?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wandle Cax posted:

Me too. But! As much as I was disappointed in the prequels, I would seriously lose my poo poo (in a good way) if at any point during like Episode 9 or something, Rey, fully trained, communes with the ghosts of Anakin and Obi-Wan with Ewan and Hayden reprising their roles.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'd be okay with that. It might give Hayden a chance to work with a better director.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean it's a big plot point that Ben is literally having imaginary conversations with what he believes to be Anakin's spirit. I don't think there's anywhere for this whole idolization thing to go but for him to eventually be confronted with the real Anakin and not the Anakin that he's envisioned. Luke simply saying "Vader wasn't actually bad, he was good!" to the kid isn't gonna cut it. It has to be the real Anakin, directly dismantling the fantasy and cult-worship that Ben has build up.

Wandle Cax posted:

It already mentions the Sith, which is a prequel invention. I dunno if that's direct enough for people, but hey.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

It already has, and it's not going to stop. Which is a good thing, because the prequels are good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

It already mentions the Sith, which is a prequel invention. I dunno if that's direct enough for people, but hey.

The Sith were first mentioned in the ANH novelization, but yes, first mentioned in the PT.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Augus posted:

It was a bit overly familiar at times but that was kinda to be expected with them bringing the films back after a decade plus three bad ones.
I think this is a terrible argument. By extension, there was even less to complain about in Avatar because it had been 19 years since Dances with Wolves.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wandle Cax posted:

There is a very distinctly non-zero chance that Snoke is tied to the Sith backstory somehow, which would make him a walking prequel connection

Josh Lyman posted:

I think this is a terrible argument. By extension, there was even less to complain about in Avatar because it had been 19 years since Dances with Wolves.

I mean that's kinda the same situation if you ignore the fact that it isn't the same situation in the slightest.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It already did.

DeusExMachinima posted:

He likely implied the bad parts of the prequels that divert from what is cool and awesome. Stuff like Naboo and poo poo.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

That was originally from the first film. (ep IV)

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Wandle Cax posted:

That was originally from the first film. (ep IV)
Yeah, Luke's saber from IV is different from Anakin's in III (for reasons never really explained) and the one in TFA looks like Luke's.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hazo posted:

Yeah, Luke's saber from IV is different from Anakin's in III (for reasons never really explained) and the one in TFA looks like Luke's.

Uhh, the lightsaber Anakin uses in Episode III is the same one Obi-Wan gives Luke in Episode IV, which is the one that Luke ends up losing on Bespin in Episode V that eventually ends up in Maz Kanata's possession in Episode VII.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I have to say that the lightsaber battle in the snow had some of the best lighting ever. The blue on red and the glow they gave off in the surrounding darkness was so amazingly done. Probably the best lightsaber duel in any of the movies yet. Rey's face when she starts channeling the force... just god drat.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Just saw this after a week of ploughing through the old movies with my gf. Was fed up with lightsabers and chewbaccas but man, this is a well-crafted sequel!

The methaphorical theme of a generation switch to a new cast was nicely executed and they carry over just enough of the old personallities to the new characters! Also the dialogue is so much better than the cringe-worthy forced crap in the prequels.

Also, the soundtrack is glorious!

Rey is Luke's daughter, isn't she?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Seventeen years pass between Episodes 3 and 4. Revenge of the Sith came out ten years ago.

Seven years until Ewan MacGregor turns into Alec Guinness.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing

Hazo posted:

The light saber looks like the one Luke dropped on Bespin. It also sort of looks like the one Anakin had in episode 3

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Imaginary Friend posted:

Maybe. I don't think so though. I think she's either the daughter of Han and Leia or she's someone entirely new that the Force is manifesting strongly in, starting a new lineage of Jedi. Maybe the Force ultimately decided the Skywalker pedigree isn't strong enough to keep the balance and wants to start fresh with Rey.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Well, finally got around to seeing this. I think the thread consensus was that the first half was better, but I disagree. The first half is way too frantic, and there's very little time you actually get to breathe. Everything either has a breakneck pace or it feels claustrophobic from all the close up shots.

Aside from the totally unnecessary giant Death Star plot which should have been saved for another movie, we actually got some nice interactions between the cast in the second half (especially Han & Leia), and the action actually feels like it's understandable. Also everything on Luke's island is utterly beautiful.

Also interesting shot that quotes the Prequels: I liked that the last shot of Kylo Ren was reminiscent of Anakin left to die on the beach of the lava planet, complete with actual lava welling up.

Imaginary Friend posted:

I don't know how you could assume any differently.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

computer parts posted:

Her accent! Maybe she's related to Kenobi.

[edit]

the moose posted:

The light saber looks like the one Luke dropped on Bespin. It also sort of looks like the one Anakin had in episode 3

It looks like the one Luke dropped on Bespin and the one Anakin used in Revenge of the Sith because it's the same one, lmao. How can anyone even slightly miss this? Maz Kanata straight up says it was Anakin's lightsaber, passed on to Luke.

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 20, 2015

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Goons are bad at reading comprehension.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

the moose posted:

Yeah I know, it's almost definitely the one from Bespin and hopefully we'll find out how it resurfaced at some point.

teagone posted:

It looks like the one Luke dropped on Bespin and the one Anakin used in Revenge of the Sith because it's the same one, lmao. How can anyone even slightly miss this? Maz Kanata straight up says it was Anakin's lightsaber, passed on to Luke.
Of course they're supposed to be the same. They look slightly (yet noticeably) different, however, and it's never explained. I've brought this up in Star Wars threads before and nobody seems to really care so it's obviously not a big deal even to nerds.

Luke Episode IV:

Anakin Episode III:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

computer parts posted:

Because it'd be a huge dick move to abandon her on Jakku, which is the worst planet in the galaxy. And he's not that much of a dick.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

BrianWilly posted:

I would be surprised if Hayden Christensen's ghosty blueness does not grace this trilogy at some point. Anakin's legacy is kind of important to the stuff that's happening.

Hayden Christensen's force ghost clowning Kylo would be awesome.

"I murdered children, hating myself the entire time! You're praying to my helmet?"

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
It's rare to see an action-adventure movie where the humor is handled as well as it is in this. Every joke lands really well, and there are a lot of them.

Pulp Can Move fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 20, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bongo Bill posted:

Because it'd be a huge dick move to abandon her on Jakku, which is the worst planet in the galaxy. And he's not that much of a dick.

It kind of quotes Episode 3, and it makes sense if his apprentice that killed everyone is still roaming around.

Speaking of which, what's up with Snoke? it's hard to imagine he would exist without the Emperor's permission (and Palpatine was a power greedy rear end in a top hat so that seems unlikely).

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Bongo Bill posted:

It was a dick move to leave Luke on Tatooine. Maybe he's trying to recreate his "success", since apparently traditional, institutional Jedi training leads to school shooters like Ren adn Anakin. Maybe he thought she had to grow into it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Beefstew posted:

It was a dick move to leave Luke on Tatooine. Maybe he's trying to recreate his "success", since apparently traditional, institutional Jedi training leads to school shooters like Ren adn Anakin. Maybe he thought she had to grow into it.

Well, the difference is Obi-Wan was a dick, and I don't think we're meant to understand that Luke was also a dick after all despite everything. It'd be more than just a solution to a mystery if that turns out to be true.

There's another reason why I think that, but I need to go watch it again to make sure I'm remembering the line correctly. Please look forward to it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hazo posted:

Yeah I know, it's almost definitely the one from Bespin and hopefully we'll find out how it resurfaced at some point.

Not almost definitely. It is definitely. We'll probably learn how it came into Maz's possession in like a novel or something.

quote:

Of course they're supposed to be the same. They look slightly (yet noticeably) different, however, and it's never explained. I've brought this up in Star Wars threads before and nobody seems to really care so it's obviously not a big deal even to nerds.

Here's an explanation. Maybe Obi-Wan replaced some parts in the time between Episode III and Episode IV. Or another is that Lucas didn't really care about 1:1 consistency. Point is it's the same hilt passed down a generation and that's all that matters.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
An interesting twist would be that Rey's origins are exactly the same as Anakin's, only she remembers more. As in, she's a creation of Plagueis or whoever, and he's still jetting around the universe abandoning super Force-sensitive children of his own own creation on desert planets out there to see if anyone else can be more successful than Anakin.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Aaronicon posted:

An interesting twist would be that Rey's origins are exactly the same as Anakin's, only she remembers more. As in, she's a creation of Plagueis or whoever, and he's still jetting around the universe abandoning super Force-sensitive children of his own own creation on desert planets out there to see if anyone else can be more successful than Anakin.

I honestly be super down with this. Especially if it turns out that Snoke is Plagueis.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

It kind of quotes Episode 3, and it makes sense if his apprentice that killed everyone is still roaming around.

Speaking of which, what's up with Snoke? it's hard to imagine he would exist without the Emperor's permission (and Palpatine was a power greedy rear end in a top hat so that seems unlikely).

One of my problems with the film is that Snoke is so ill-defined. In the OT "Emperor of the Galaxy" is kinda self-explanatory, we know it's a big deal before we even see him, but there's not as much a "hook" here.

I always felt like the big challenge to making post-Jedi movies would be what the new villainy is, and I feel like they're still not defining that very well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm leaning toward the 'didn't know he had a kid' theory. Like, someone shacked up with him for a while (Mara Jade?) and left right after getting pregnant. He'd probably be too distracted with the training of the next Jedi to feel she was pregnant early on.

Alternate theory: When Ben Solo went on his rampage and started slaughtering the other students, he sent off his young daughter with a trusted friend (Lor San Tekka) and said "run to the rear end end of the Galaxy and lay low. Watch over her. Here's a piece of a puzzle for 'Break Glass In Case of Sith". Hook up with R2 for to complete the map."

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Hazo posted:

Luke Episode IV:

Anakin Episode III:

It has been raised. https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=3_FieJToFKc

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

lmao

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hahahaha that's amazing. I never even noticed the different numbers of grips, just that the whole middle section or whatever got moved farther away from them in episode III.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watching Harrison Ford break expensive toys is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0qrxL8oGbE

Reposting this.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If Rey is Luke's daughter like some people are guessing, then who's the mother? Phasma? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

AndyElusive posted:

If Rey is Luke's daughter like some people are guessing, then who's the mother? Phasma? :tinfoil:

Obviously.

• Locked thread